Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I woke up this morning with a cold, and it feels like my sinuses and ears are about to explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

You know, you may be on to something....the main thoroughfare in my city is usually lit within a couple days of Thanksgiving. Lights & decorations on trees, street lights, buildings, you name it.

This year? Nothing. No snowflake or candle lights up, no string lights on buildings or trees, very few houses around town with big decorations like they'd usually have. It seems really weird, it's like the happiness has been sucked out of the town entirely.

The city I live in is somewhat famous locally for not giving a poo poo that we leave Christmas lights up for wayyy too long. Two years ago, I think the city or county may have gotten embarrassed by that. In what must have been a glorious example of malicious compliance, our municipal workers set out to put the city's lights up in the middle of rush-hour (so they didn't get over-time working through the night). One bucket-truck, followed by another truck with a barrier on a trailer, taking up the inside lanes all day long. They came back early February in the middle of the night to yank them back down again, lol. You gotta drive through this town to get anywhere, don't gently caress with our traditions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
We've had squirrels in the attic problems for years. I've killed untold numbers of the bastards, had multiple handymen fix the holes in the house they chewed only for them to chew new ways in, and thought the problem was finally solved when we had the entire roof and soffits redone a year ago.

Suddenly I hear the pitter patter of tiny feet above me. I go outside and a tiny, maybe 5 inch long baby squirrel is zipping in and out of a gap in the dormer above the window in my room carrying acorns inside extremely rapidly. This super sucks because they found a new way in, but also because I'll have to have a guy come and patch up the gaps with metal plating and stuff. Maybe in the meantime I can somewhat deter them by spraying foam insulation studded with razor blades in the gaps.

Man I really hate squirrels. They're adorable until one decides your house is its new nest site, and then you will never be rid of them ever again

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I am freaked the gently caress out because the next door neighbors just about burned their loving house down, I smelled smoke and looked outside to see 6 foot flames shooting up their back staircase from a big pile of paper and cardboard they had stuffed underneath, thank gently caress it's an old brick and concrete deal and not one of the new chipboard places with the super flammable composite cladding.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

We've had squirrels in the attic problems for years. I've killed untold numbers of the bastards, had multiple handymen fix the holes in the house they chewed only for them to chew new ways in, and thought the problem was finally solved when we had the entire roof and soffits redone a year ago.

Suddenly I hear the pitter patter of tiny feet above me. I go outside and a tiny, maybe 5 inch long baby squirrel is zipping in and out of a gap in the dormer above the window in my room carrying acorns inside extremely rapidly. This super sucks because they found a new way in, but also because I'll have to have a guy come and patch up the gaps with metal plating and stuff. Maybe in the meantime I can somewhat deter them by spraying foam insulation studded with razor blades in the gaps.

Man I really hate squirrels. They're adorable until one decides your house is its new nest site, and then you will never be rid of them ever again

I had termites this year. I think I'd rather take them again than loving squirrels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been having a panic attack for at least 4 hours now, from a compounding bunch of factors; my cool boss snapped at me for the first time and I think it was because I requested a change in position to an easier location which makes things harder for him, but my second shift is always a trash fire so I don't want to get turbofucked on both shifts. seems like making this one request basically ever was a bridge too far, I don't know. I'll see how he reacts tomorrow, but it was pretty jarring considering how laid back he usually is. Then I get an email from my dad once again dangling monetary help that he literally offered to me in the first place because he knew we needed it badly. But the last few months he's been giving less, on a whim, when we've already budgeted for the amount he offered, and like one time he said he was going to send a third the amount, then sent the full amount when I said we needed it, citing his "scottish stinginess" for making him not want to send the rest of it. I hate this poo poo. It constantly stresses me out not knowing whether his capriciousness will result in him just yanking the rug out from under us at the start of every month or not with no warning. I hate it. I hate it. I hate, hate, hate it, and he's really doing a good job of making me hate him, too. Even mom, who, despite all the abuse and suffering he caused her over the years, still wanted me to keep in contact with him when I wanted to sever, even she is starting to be like "this guy super sucks and can go gently caress himself". That, and then I slip online for the first time of the day only to see the US basically declared war on iran because trump is an immense fuckup thin-skinned manchild, and will lead to even more unimaginable suffering both here and abroad because of it. Then I forgot to wrap up something at work before I left because I was so focused on getting done and getting the gently caress out to get home and calm down after being there for nearly 12 hours, and my boss called me to be like "yo, wtf" right as I was leaving work, and already being in a panicked state I started imagining the poo poo he'd do to me when I go in tomorrow, guy's been getting really stressed out at work and I really don't want his ire now of all times. And also getting woken up multiple times by loving SQUIRRELS in the attic since they keep tripping the traps and getting the bait without actually being caught god drat it

Cowslips Warren posted:

I had termites this year. I think I'd rather take them again than loving squirrels.
the squirrels completely obliterated everything in the attic, including my mom's wedding dress, grandparents' furniture, and my old toybox. they can all die

someone gave mom a brick of fruitcake for christmas because apparently it was the same brand she loved as a kid, and they changed the recipe to be much more chemical-ey so now I'm using it as squirrel trap bait

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I've been in a depression downswing for about a week now. Since before the new year. And I know it isn't true but I feel like everyone hates me for existing. I have not wanted to be alive what feels like the last forever. I don't know if this is a regular downswing or if my antidepressants have decided to stop working. Not that I have the time to meet with my Psychiatrist because school starts in 2 weeks and she's usually booked 8 weeks out. I don't know how I'm going to make college work.

Today was supposed to be an improvement because I had something fun planned and it was just the worst. On top of that, an rear end in a top hat I have bad history with decided to reenter my life. He makes me physically ill. We share a mutual circle of friends and I can't stand to be around him, so I can't stand to be around my friends. So until he goes MIA again, I just don't have friends. I want to die.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You'll always have us Ballistic Clipboard. :)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BallisticClipboard posted:

I've been in a depression downswing for about a week now. Since before the new year. And I know it isn't true but I feel like everyone hates me for existing. I have not wanted to be alive what feels like the last forever. I don't know if this is a regular downswing or if my antidepressants have decided to stop working. Not that I have the time to meet with my Psychiatrist because school starts in 2 weeks and she's usually booked 8 weeks out. I don't know how I'm going to make college work.

Today was supposed to be an improvement because I had something fun planned and it was just the worst. On top of that, an rear end in a top hat I have bad history with decided to reenter my life. He makes me physically ill. We share a mutual circle of friends and I can't stand to be around him, so I can't stand to be around my friends. So until he goes MIA again, I just don't have friends. I want to die.

Have you told your friends that you can’t be around him and while you’d like to spend time with them, you can’t if he’s there? Not even laying down an ultimatum of “cut him out or I sever” just “hey, can we do things without dipshit around?”

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
went to bed feelin' fine. woke up with post-nasal drip, sore throat, and clearly developing a fever with full body aches after the weekend right before going back to work instead of right as the weekend started. excellent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

went to bed feelin' fine. woke up with post-nasal drip, sore throat, and clearly developing a fever with full body aches after the weekend right before going back to work instead of right as the weekend started. excellent.

If you have health insurance, go to an urgent care right the gently caress now, it sounds like you have the flu, especially with the rapid onset. Antivirals have a short window on the flu, so time is of the essence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's 5:45AM, so nobody's open, but I'll give'em a call soon as they are. Thanks. Figures, I had scheduled to get my flu shot literally later today.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They shoved a stick up my nose and swabbed my sinuses, and the results came back negative for the flu, so hell yeah! And they just poked me with the vaccine while I was here anyways, excellent. Said it's probably some viral infection but not the flu.

Well that's at least one good thing that's happened the last few days, which is nice.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

BioEnchanted posted:

You'll always have us Ballistic Clipboard. :)
aw :kimchi: by the by, I really like your posts in the little things in games thread.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you told your friends that you can’t be around him and while you’d like to spend time with them, you can’t if he’s there? Not even laying down an ultimatum of “cut him out or I sever” just “hey, can we do things without dipshit around?”

It makes me feel like the problem child because everyone else is okay with him. Maybe this is a sign that I'm the rear end in a top hat. I should be able to be an adult and ignore it but I get so uncomfortable near him that I can't have any fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that "ASK me about working for Chessex, the misunderstood dice company" thread that was apparently one of the funniest threads on the forums in ages got hidden because the dummy who made it outed himself to his boss by being way too specific in the thread, and I hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. Maybe they'll edit out the incriminating info and un-hide the thread so the link works again? That'd be cool.

and I noticed a bunch of shirts I ordered in december never arrived. They were on deep sale so I bought a bunch to replace the ones I wear to work. I checked the tracking number and...it straight up says USPS destroyed my stuff. No notification either. I'm guessing the label got hosed up enough that the tracking info was still legible but the addresses got hosed, or the package got torn open and the shirts lost to the winds so they said gently caress it. But didn't even notify me. Very cool. Now I get to wrangle with the tshirt store over it, I really wanted these, my old ones are really getting beat up from age :(

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Jan 8, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yesterday, one of my clients told me I was testing 12 new hires. I got to the site and found out it was increased to 30 without them telling me. When that chaos was done, I got home and then after I ate dinner, they called and said they needed me back first thing in the morning for four new hires... well, today it was actually just four, but then as soon as I got home I got a call from another one of my clients that somebody crashed an ambulance and I need to head over for post-accident breathylizing and drug tests. gently caress, I would just like to sit down for like thirty seconds without unexpected work.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Last year I bought a few different kinds of goats to see which kind I wanted to keep for weed control, meat, etc. For many reasons the 2 dairy goats weren’t going to be keepers so at the end of November I advertised them on Craigslist and a couple other sites. One of these goats was practically a pet, she was so friendly, but she was a constant fence climber so she had to go. During a bad snow storm the other goats decided she was not allowed in the shelter and from then on she got bullied away from all the resources. No matter the weather she was pushed out of the shelter, away from the food, whatever. Since we can’t have two separate herds, we made the hard decision to process her and did the job ourselves 2 weekends ago.

Today I got a response to the Craigslist ad about her that I forgot to delete :(

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The time off system at work, for the umpteenth time, has decided to deduct my hours from the thing that it's supposed to, and the thing that must never be deducted from because I don't have enough to deduct from.

If I get fired because of this...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have to go testify for a civil case in three hours. The timing is loving awful, my car crapped out on Monday and I haven’t been able to get it out to the mechanic’s yet and I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow. And the actual traveling part of vacation seemed fine when I planned it in October but now it just looks like a goddamn nightmare.

E:got to the courthouse and found out the case was settled and no one told me not to come in.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Jan 15, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Geez! It only people did their loving jobs!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Had to say goodbye to my cat today, taken way too loving soon by FIP.

That is such a cruel, cruel disease.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

Had to say goodbye to my cat today, taken way too loving soon by FIP.

That is such a cruel, cruel disease.

Condolences. I remember your posts about it and were hoping you'd get a bit longer to spoil them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yesterday: some motherfucker changed the locks on an office I and a bunch of other folks use and that also houses the necessary equipment for the entire early morning shift, and did not tell ANYONE, so those guy show up to prep the equipment for everyone and lol nope locked out

Today: some motherfucker went into a different office where I keep some tools in a corner nobody uses and threw the lot of it out, AND tore off and threw out the note taped there explaining what they were and what they were used for

What a piece of poo poo

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I found out a good friend of mine is most likely not going to live through the year. Things just kept coming up, and I haven't been able to see them as much as I would have liked over the past years, and now time is running out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend will not get his dogs microchipped because "they never leave the house" save to go on walks and the vet and on random car rides.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend will not get his dogs microchipped because "they never leave the house" save to go on walks and the vet and on random car rides.

Tell him this means he needs to be extra-vigilant any time he opens the door, because those dogs are dreaming of freedom in their little stimulation-craving minds and 1000000% will bolt and get hit by a car at the first opportunity.

I love my new job, I love the people I do it with, but it's more physically demanding than I expected and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep it up. Also about half an hour ago I woke up because I was cold, went to check the time on my phone and panicked myseld awake when it seemed to be bricked. Thank gently caress I managed to reset it and it's working now, but I'm still too awake to go back to sleep even though I don't have to be up for 4 more hours.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think that after I left work on Saturday, I crashed hard (due to illness) and I just woke up this morning.

I've tried to re-piece the latest couple days together (since I was in low levels of Hours Of Work I Could Take Off, which has gone into negatives over this), but since my partner isn't around, it's like a day has vanished and I'm probably going to lose my job for just no-showing-no-calling for a day.

e: huh, this and my last post might be connected and I don't recall. gently caress, my brain is swiss-cheesed right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My workday was relatively crappy as it tends to be every day lately, but it was capped off with my phone case's holster just falling apart out of nowhere. It's shittier than usual because this was the last phone case of the type I like (reinforced plastic shell over a silicone sleeve for the phone, with a belt clip holster to slide it into) that I was able to find years ago. I still use a Samsung galaxy note 3, it's positively ancient by smartphone standards now, but I love it and it still works perfectly largely thanks to the triple-reinforced phone case, so why change? But now I need to somehow find a replacement holster for this specific long out of date phone, and that super sucks. Nothing shows up on amazon anymore except the notebook flap style of phone cases for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was gonna be off today, found out at lunch yesterday I’m working. Got stuck behind an incredibly slow 18wheeler on my way in. Got in to work and checked my phone to find out the drummer from one of my favorite bands died. :smith:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Webcomic webtoon thing that I had high hopes for has dissolved into the usual "rear end in a top hat character gets away with their assholery for way too loving long" thing and I'm really fuckin' tired of that poo poo :geno: I'm here to have a good time, god drat it, and it started out so good. I'm just gonna put it down and check back once a month or so, if I remember to, unless or until said character gets tied to a post and lit on fire.

E: it's not even the primary antagonist being a dick, I could handle that, I don't think there even is a 'primary' antagonist, it's just some other character being a huge piece of poo poo.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Jan 28, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

My MIL popped by when I was at work and decided to clean our house for us. During this she threw out a blanket my grandmother knitted shortly before she died and was one of my last heirlooms from her. She didn't even ask about it, just thought it was ugly and threw it out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a big ol' What The Actual gently caress

Hope you said something and at minimum told them never to touch your stuff again

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I would be loving livid holy poo poo

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I had my 25 year old truck broken into for the 4th time. nothing stolen, just junk tossed about inside. like the previous 3 times. :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My car keys fell out of my pocket at work and haven’t turned up yet. I’m staying at the motel down the road from the job site tonight because it’s too dark to find them now. Fuuuck.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Tonight marks at least the seventh time I have called Samsung to schedule someone to replace the compressor on my fridge. I have been bounced back and forth from company to company. There have been at least three separate tickets created for me, and still Samsung cannot find a company to replace a compressor. They contract their repairs out to Dish Network for some reason. Techs from Dish have been out to my house twice, and both times they claimed they could not do the repair, but they did diagnose it as a SEAL system issue (compressors are SEAL system). Samsung also referred me to a company on two separate occasions that claimed, when I spoke to them, they do not do "pre-diagnosed repairs."

The second time a Dish tech came out, upon meeting me, told me he was sent here to replace a computer component in the back of the unit. If it was not the computer component causing the issue, he could not help me lol. He did offer a little more explanation though. Apparently a "master technician" at Dish, even though both this tech and the "master tech" spoke to the fist Dish tech that came to my house that diagnosed the problem as a SEAL system problem, wanted to see if this computer component would solve the issue first before having to go though EPA regulations to replace the compressor.

loving guess what, the issue was not the computer. It was, as it was first diagnosed, a SEAL system issue. This tech is not EPA certified to replace compressors, so he called Dish to let them know. He told me Samsung should call me back, said good luck, and left lol.

I had to call Samsung, since they never called me back. The rep tried to refer me back to the same company that does not do pre-diagnosed repairs. When I told him what they told me, he referred me to another company. They are supposed to call me within 24 hours. So now I'm just going to wait and see what new excuse they come up with.

My fridge has been broken for two weeks. It's under warranty. I just want it fixed. :psyduck:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I filed my taxes last week and got the refund already. Now I'm loving paranoid I messed up because the return was larger than last year by about a grand and I am waiting for a letter from the IRS that I owe the money back.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

I filed my taxes last week and got the refund already. Now I'm loving paranoid I messed up because the return was larger than last year by about a grand and I am waiting for a letter from the IRS that I owe the money back.

Same only it isn't as large as that, just a few hundred.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

winterwerefox posted:

I had my 25 year old truck broken into for the 4th time. nothing stolen, just junk tossed about inside. like the previous 3 times. :smith:

Just put up a sign on the back saying "This truck has been broken into 4 times before you. Do you really think there's anything good left?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A few days ago, I told my roommate that I might need to move out due to financial issues.
We've been fighting since then, and even though I am not blameless in the things said during our arguments, it seems like she is being completely irrational.
This morning I woke up to a message from her, saying that she is seeking legal action against me.
I've done nothing wrong, I am just unable to continue paying an exorbitant amount of money for a place that I can no longer afford.
And I certainly can't afford a lawyer.
I don't know what to do.