Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

as someone currently reading Children of Dune, I appreciate this

there's that sound that's a cross of a laugh and oof, again.

snipe tax

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

MNIMWA posted:

another recent and terrifying garrison

Just a repurposed hot wife cartoon.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

This made me laugh SO hard, thank you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Captain Splendid posted:

That goat a chickle oat of me

Dabir posted:

haha yeah it's pretty funny haha but could you explain for the other people who didn't get it, unlike me haha

That is the police officer from the British sitcom 'Allo, 'Allo, which takes place in a French village during WW2. I liked him as a kid because he talked funny.

Later in life I realized that the reason why he is constantly messing up the vowels is because he is supposed to be an undercover British agent who doesn't even come close to speaking French fluently. There were several things about that show which went completely over my head as a kid, but were really obvious as an adult.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Mierenneuker posted:

That is the police officer from the British sitcom 'Allo, 'Allo, which takes place in a French village during WW2. I liked him as a kid because he talked funny.

Later in life I realized that the reason why he is constantly messing up the vowels is because he is supposed to be an undercover British agent who doesn't even come close to speaking French fluently. There were several things about that show which went completely over my head as a kid, but were really obvious as an adult.

Thx 4 sharing

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Heath posted:

I will clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POM_98oi0oo

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Mierenneuker posted:

"'Allo 'Allo" is so freaking weird when you think about it.

- It's a sitcom made in the UK, so everybody speaks English in it
- But it's set in France, so everybody* is supposed to be speaking French
- "French" is just English with a French accent
- So Crabtree, who thinks he's fluent in French, makes errors, like saying "Good moaning" instead of "Good morning", meaning that to the viewer, he's crap at English-with-a-French-Accent-French.

*Except the Germans**, who are supposed to be speaking German, but are just speaking English with a German accent. Also, I have no idea what language is "really" being spoken when a German and French character interact.
**And the Italians, who speak like Mario "What-a mistake-a to make-a"

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bad Wolf posted:

- So Crabtree, who thinks he's fluent in French, makes errors, like saying "Good moaning" instead of "Good morning", meaning that to the viewer, he's crap at English-with-a-French-Accent-French.

It's the same device that's used in fantasy and historical fiction where the wide variety of English accents are used to denote region or class.

I don't know if it's just because people are so used to it, or if it's because it's more "timeless" to a western English speaking audience where say an American accent sounds too contemporary.

What wigs me out as an Australian was something like Mass Effect Andromeda using Australian/NZ accents for the new race of aliens. In some contexts it works, Ben Mendelssohn's character in Star Wars uses his natural accent and it places him as slightly outside the in-group of the English sounding Empire. But hearing them in a Medieval inspired fantasy setting would just feel wrong.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Bad Wolf posted:

*Except the Germans**, who are supposed to be speaking German, but are just speaking English with a German accent. Also, I have no idea what language is "really" being spoken when a German and French character interact.

Literally the most British thing I've ever heard. All it needs is a tall man in a dress speaking in a squeaky voice, and some form of fake Mediterranean person to do pratfalls.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Literally the most British thing I've ever heard. All it needs is a tall man in a dress speaking in a squeaky voice, and some form of fake Mediterranean person to do pratfalls.

The Italian character performs the latter function admirably.

Also the SS character is camper than Ross Matthews.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

The Italian character performs the latter function admirably.

Also the SS character is camper than Ross Matthews.

Oh, I forgot the latter: facism= femme

Ugh, do we have to cancel old Britcoms? What are my dad and I gonna watch when we're high??

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Just cancel the UK. Put us out of our and your misery.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Bad Wolf posted:

It's also weird when an English speaking show gets translated and a character being unable to speak English is part of a joke/plot. If you say "he doesn't speak English" but the characters are speaking say French then it didn't make sense. But it equally doesn't make sense to change it to "he doesn't speak French" when you knew the characters and setting are English speaking.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

:scotland: were working on it ok? :scotland:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's immaterial to me; I still live in Europe. :smug:

Also, I really really really really really really really love Marmite and Jelly Babies.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Funniest part about 'Allo 'Allo to me, after all was said and done is that Gorden Kaye who played René was gay while Guy Siner who played Lieutenant Gruber is straight.
Also, Guy Siner, lol.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh, I forgot the latter: facism= femme

Ugh, do we have to cancel old Britcoms? What are my dad and I gonna watch when we're high??

Seemed like a riff on how the original head of the SS was gay and everyone knew it. (And he got merked in the Night of the Long Knives, of course)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

amazing

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seemed like a riff on how the original head of the SS was gay and everyone knew it. (And he got merked in the Night of the Long Knives, of course)

Right, but every chance any TV writer gets*? Uncomfy.

anyways

*from roughly 1960-2000, I'm not UNREASONABLE

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Jan 28, 2020

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

always find out in the meme thread

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
:magical:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lmao

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

imagine taking the time to go to the ocean and not bringing used car batteries to bless the bottom of the blue. shameful

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

BillyC posted:

imagine taking the time to go to the ocean and not bringing used car batteries to bless the bottom of the blue. shameful

oh like I'm wasting my best chuckin' bats somewhere they don't even get to sink freely

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar
no see the acid from the batteries helps break down garbage island so it sinks and creates new, very not dangerous, coral reefs. this is all very good for the ocean, only dicks that work for autozone disagree

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

After all these years, someone rejuvenates an anal icon.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

:vince:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

anyways

"L Ron, I'm trying to defeat Xenu... But I'm dummy thicc and the clap of my rear end cheeks keeps alerting the Thetans..."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

anyways

Homophobes being secretly self-hating gay men is an understandable trope.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Goth chungus?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

BillyC posted:

There's a survival game called Raft where you build and maintain a raft on an endless ocean. It's pretty rad.

Once you get a bit deep into the tech tree, you can start making batteries. When a battery is depleted, you can't recharge it. It's trash, and every time I toss one overboard, I can't help saying, "Here's one for those dicks at AutoZone!"

Try explaining that to your wife and not looking stupid.

My monitor is on.

I checked.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
did you get that from one of the replies to the tweet about 16 year olds memes in the good tweets thread

I'M ONTO YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Gimme dat Big Chungus Goth GF.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Clitch posted:

There's a survival game called Raft where you build and maintain a raft on an endless ocean. It's pretty rad.

Once you get a bit deep into the tech tree, you can start making batteries. When a battery is depleted, you can't recharge it. It's trash, and every time I toss one overboard, I can't help saying, "Here's one for those dicks at AutoZone!"

Try explaining that to your wife and not looking stupid.

My monitor is on.

I checked.

I tried explaining this to my wife and she didn't understand.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Benny Harvey posted:

Homophobes being secretly self-hating gay men is a trope.

Ftfy

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

bike tory posted:

I tried explaining this to my wife and she didn't understand.

Maybe she has just had a stressful day, try it again later on maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
My wife threatened to leave me if I didn't stop explaining the car batteries meme.

(For context, we threaten to leave each other over every little thing).