Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Why did they cast Tcheky Karyo if he's just gonna be dubbed, utterly unconvincingly, by Ron Pearlman? Julie Condor and Mark Dascascos are seriously attractive people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Would it be accurate to describe Wu Jing as the new Tom cruise? He has so much charisma and Im hoping top gun 2 is as sweet as the wolf warriors are .

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I just watched The Night Comes for Us after seeing it named dropped in here a fair bit, and holy poo poo.

While not the most hosed up action movie I have seen in a while (that would be Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning) this comes very close indeed...

TNCFU seemed to have a bit of a problem with letting some fights go on for to long so dulling the impact of the violence. The final fight in particular would have been more effective if cut in about half the length.

Similarly I think they may have gone a bit to much into loony tunes territory on the violence itself in places, again dulling the impact.

The actress playing the white haired henchwoman seemed very familiar but I cant place her. Also on the subject of women, this film may have the most henchwomen I have ever seen in an action movie for a long time ?

mfny fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 14, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Man, as CGI-looking as the road fight climax in Kung Fu Killer/Kung Fu Jungle was, it worked well enough to keep me pretty tense about all the cars zooming by. It'd be nice if the rest of the movie were up to that level, but it is what it is. And as relatively uncommon as kung fu murder mysteries are, it's better than it might have been.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ordered the uncut version of Day Of Reckoning yesterday. I saw the original and thought it was dope, but the uncut version goes so hard in the paint. I did like the final fight more this time around, but it's still hard to buy Van Damme or Lundgren lasting long against Adkins in prime beast mode.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

This a good spot to talk Bad Boys? It's another Bad Boys. There's some shooting. There's some car chases. There's a shockingly brutal bit of violence early on that's not matched by anything else in the film.

It's fine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is the exact best spot to discuss Bad Boys.

I love Bad Boys 2 but 2.5 hours is just too long for a roller coaster ride.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Not to sound too edgy, but I was led to believe that The Night Comes For Us would have considerably amped up levels of gore, but I'd say it's a step down from Raid 2 or Headshot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

married but discreet posted:

Not to sound too edgy, but I was led to believe that The Night Comes For Us would have considerably amped up levels of gore, but I'd say it's a step down from Raid 2 or Headshot.

I thought it was worse. I guess YMMV.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

All three have instances of extreme violence and gore but I felt like The Night Comes For Us was just more consistent and relentless than the other two. As far as which movie had THE most difficult scene to watch that is probably just down to personal opinion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

All three have instances of extreme violence and gore but I felt like The Night Comes For Us was just more consistent and relentless than the other two. As far as which movie had THE most difficult scene to watch that is probably just down to personal opinion.

The Raid 2 is actually super good at cutting away from the worst gore and selling it via sound effects and character reaction. There's still plenty of gore, but the worst of it is only glimpsed, making it lock in the memory as much worse (like the guy getting his head torn open during the riot)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
New Bad Boys was surprisingly good. BB2 is 2.5 hours long and loving exhausting with all the action, this one is around 2, and you don't really feel it to be honest. You get wisecracks, shooting, car chases and overall it was not bad at all, considering how long the gap was. A few strange choices for the plot, but if you want a decent action film with a few laughs, you could do worse.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Since people have been making retrospectives of the decade's films, I went ahead and made one with some of my favorite action clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81NbSQWS5oE

I probably could have made it better but :effort:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Awh, Lady Snowblood is much worse than I expected, which I guess was far too much. My feelings constantly changed from hopeful to disappointed and it never quite got to the point where I felt like it was doing anything really well or interesting. Female Prisoner Scorpion is just so much better in every single category and the movie made me wish I was watching that.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Blood Money (Zheng Liu) is a bit difficult with the thick accents, but it was fun. All explosions were a combo of CGI and green screen. The smoke in the opening fight is green-screened. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Awh, Lady Snowblood is much worse than I expected, which I guess was far too much. My feelings constantly changed from hopeful to disappointed and it never quite got to the point where I felt like it was doing anything really well or interesting. Female Prisoner Scorpion is just so much better in every single category and the movie made me wish I was watching that.

If you want a trashy/fun/sorta stylish women kicking rear end movie, check out Lethal Panther for sure. It was directed by Godfrey Ho but instead of his typical ultra low budget thing it's basically a remake of The Killer but with a woman in every prominent role. I know Godfrey Ho was going for the easy money/quantity but this flick made me wish he did a few more real attempts at an action movie. There is a, I do not exaggerate this, gratuitous nudity or a pretty decent shootout/fight like every eight minutes, it never stops (also early has one of the most hilarious "we WANTED to show a particular sex act but couldn't get the film released if we did so look at this performance art abstraction" ever. I don't know if I'd call it a "great" movie per se but oh my God it owns hard imo. Plus it's got Sibelle Hu and Alex Fong!!!!!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099378/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

fenix down posted:

Since people have been making retrospectives of the decade's films, I went ahead and made one with some of my favorite action clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81NbSQWS5oE

I probably could have made it better but :effort:

Rad stuff.

Definite pro-move to include Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Rad stuff.

Definite pro-move to include Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.
Thanks man. I'm definitely digging the trend of going slightly longer between cuts in action scenes (6 Underground being the exception to that rule of course)

One example I can think of would be the auction scene in Jurassic World 2, starting about 4:09 in the below clip. (the best part being at 5:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvGJ0cen0t0&t=249s

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I am rewatching Showdown in Little Tokyo and I’m upset that no other action movies have gone with the Weeb Cop/Jim Carrey’s The Mask Cop partnership.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lumbermouth posted:

I am rewatching Showdown in Little Tokyo and I’m upset that no other action movies have gone with the Weeb Cop/Jim Carrey’s The Mask Cop partnership.

It has one of the best lines in a movie, so homoerotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX3R7fVVU-g

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 3, 2020

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

dokmo posted:

City On Fire made a list of the 40 best martial arts movies of the decade (not in any kind of order, AFAIK):

Undisputed 3: Redemption (2010, USA)
Ong Bak 3 (2010, Thailand)
BKO: Bangkok Knockout (2010, Thailand)
Jiu-Jitsu (2010, Japan)
The Man from Nowhere (2010, South Korea)
14 Blades (2010, Hong Kong)
True Legend (2010, Hong Kong)
Bad Blood (2010, Hong Kong) AKA King of the Triads
KG: Karate Girl (2011, Japan)
The Raid (2011, Indonesia)
Wu Xia (2011, Hong Kong) AKA Dragon
The Lost Bladesman (2011, China)
Death Grip (2012, USA)
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012, USA)
CZ12 (2012, China) AKA Chinese Zodiac
Ninja: Shadow of a Tear (2013, USA)
Bushido Man (2013, Japan)
The Grandmaster (2013, Hong Kong)
Vengeance of an Assassin (2014, Thailand)
The Raid 2 (2014, Indonesia)
Once Upon a Time in Shanghai (2014, Hong Kong)
One Million K(l)icks (2015, Germany)
SPL II: A Time for Consequences (2015, Hong Kong)
Ip Man 3 (2015, Hong Kong)
Kung Fu Jungle (2015, Hong Kong)
Final Master (2015, China)
Boyka: Undisputed (2016, USA)
Re:Born (2016, Japan)
Karate Kill (2016, Japan)
The Bodyguard (2016, Hong Kong, D: Sammo Hung)
Sword Master (2016, China) AKA The Bodyguard (D: Yue Song)
Paradox (2017, Hong Kong)
The Brink (2017, Hong Kong)
Accident Man (2018, USA)
Revenger (2018, South Korea)
The Night Comes for Us (2018, Indonesia)
Triple Threat (2018, USA/China)
Shadow (2018, China)
Ip Man 4: The Finale (2019, Hong Kong)

The one that interests me is Jiu-Jitsu (2010, D: Hiroki Asai), which I can't find any information about at all. If you've never seen Bushido Man, I can confirm that if loving rules and is worth the effort to track down.

They also listed the 10 worst:

The Kick (2011, Thailand/South Korea)
Shadowguard (2011, Hong Kong) AKA The Blood Bond
Tom Yum Goong 2 (2013, Thailand) AKA The Protector 2
Special ID (2013, China)
Rise of the Legend (2014, Hong Kong)
Kung Fu Yoga (2017, China/India)
Kickboxer: Retaliation (2018, USA)
Iceman: The Time Traveller (2018, Hong Kong)
Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy (2018, Hong Kong)
Invincible Dragon (2019, Hong Kong)

I liked Special ID.

I was a big fan of Bangkok Knockout. It was cool seeing a bunch of different styles, like the Born to Fight remake.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Watched Commando for the first time since the 90s, and I forgot how funny and ridiculous it is.

The film is so stupid and fun (rocket launcher in a shop?).

During the finale, I loved the intercutting between the topless Arny scaling roofs and snapping necks while carrying like four huge guns, and pudgy dime-store leather daddy Bennett struggling to run down a corridor convincingly while apparently trying to carve a vague figure 8 into the air.

Bennett just absolutely losing his mind when Arnold coaxes him into throwing away his gun is fantastic, too.

It was my first time not seeing the TV cut, so surprise goofy gore out of nowhere when Arny is surrounded in the shed and then scalps a dude and chops off an arm that turns into a cartoon steak from Tom and Jerry was weird, but welcome.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Commando has some of the funniest Arnie lines ever. It's a total classic and is, to me at least, the quintessential American movie.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Watched Commando for the first time since the 90s, and I forgot how funny and ridiculous it is.

During the finale, I loved the intercutting between the topless Arny scaling roofs and snapping necks while carrying like four huge guns, and pudgy dime-store leather daddy Bennett struggling to run down a corridor convincingly while apparently trying to carve a vague figure 8 into the air.

Bennett just absolutely losing his mind when Arnold coaxes him into throwing away his gun is fantastic, too.

It was my first time not seeing the TV cut, so surprise goofy gore out of nowhere when Arny is surrounded in the shed and then scalps a dude and chops off an arm that turns into a cartoon steak from Tom and Jerry was weird, but welcome.

When you realize that Bennet was also Wez from Road Warrior, it adds just a whole new level of absurdity.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Commando’s one of my all-time favorites. What other movie features a man getting pegged while Bill Duke says “gently caress you, rear end in a top hat” or Arnold picking up a phone booth with a person inside and throwing it to the ground?

JBP posted:

Commando has some of the funniest Arnie lines ever. It's a total classic and is, to me at least, the quintessential American movie.

My favorite is when Rae Dawn Chong, who stood five feet away and definitely watched John Matrix drop Sully off a cliff, asks John what happened to Sully and he responds “I had to let him go.”

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Commando is one of the most homoerotic movies ever made, it's wonderful.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

COLONEL JOHN MATRIX is the all-time best “we’re not even going to try giving this Austrian monster a real name” name.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Commando is incredible. Even at the time it was released people understood it was a big ol' ham sandwich and we all loved it for it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My wife won't watch Die Hard or The Running Man with me because her dad made her watch them a thousand times. But I can probably get her to rewatch Commando with me just for the pegging scene.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Commando was one of those formative Saturday afternoon network TV action movies. I have incredibly vivid memories of both it and the Dolph Lundgren vs alien drug dealers vehicle I Come In Peace.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lumbermouth posted:

the Dolph Lundgren vs alien drug dealers vehicle I Come In Peace.

Wait this movie is real? I thought I hallucinated it when I was zonked out of my mind on antibiotics for pink eye when I was six.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

McSpanky posted:

Wait this movie is real? I thought I hallucinated it when I was zonked out of my mind on antibiotics for pink eye when I was six.

Hell yeah it is.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Flying magnetic killer compact discs are no match for Dolph Lundgren!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
"Radio station K-I-L-L!"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There was a 3-4 year span from 1998 in Danish TV where you could almost always find either Demolition Man, Con Air or Face/Off playing on one of the channels as the movie of the night. I guess they really wanted to get their moneys worth from those movies.

It also lead to my undying love of Demolition Man. By far my favourite of Stallone's action movies.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Fun fact Arnie was then supposed to beat another man to death with that arm he chopped off.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

David D. Davidson posted:

Fun fact Arnie was then supposed to beat another man to death with that arm he chopped off.
That was what Arnold supposedly wanted to do, and he very excitedly went to either the producer or the studio head to tell him his idea. The response, according to the story, was: "Get the gently caress out of my office."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MrBling posted:

There was a 3-4 year span from 1998 in Danish TV where you could almost always find either Demolition Man, Con Air or Face/Off playing on one of the channels as the movie of the night. I guess they really wanted to get their moneys worth from those movies.
In the US, this was called TBS. From the man who brought you World Championship Wrestling!

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

I have loved this movie since I saw it as a kid in 1986 (vhs) and know every absurd line, scene, goof and bit of trivia.

And it never dawned on me until this post how ridiculous it was that there was a rocket launcher in a gun shop. Seriously...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's because it takes place in the Commandoverse, where such things are common.