Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Just finished Command and Control. Its a good read of a sobering topic. Especially interesting was how SIOP was this eldritch, lovecraftian doomsday text of targets, assigned weapons and megadeaths that every new administration would get their hands on, and on realizing the horror and madness inside would immediately start on revising it... just to come to see how it could not be changed because of administratorial inertia and the sheer lunacy that cold war deterrence policy had become, and either leaving it be or just adding more nukes to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
To add: modern armies with air power probably deter a lot more insurgencies than they ever need to defeat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Popular Science, August, 1987

Spiking the embassy’s concrete with diodes to create endless false positives on bug sweeps.

Outstanding move.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 27, 2020

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Yeah, if you want to hide a needle you can put in a big pile of hay. But if you REALLY want to hide it you can it put it in a big pile of other needles.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Valtonen posted:

Just finished Command and Control. Its a good read of a sobering topic. Especially interesting was how SIOP was this eldritch, lovecraftian doomsday text of targets, assigned weapons and megadeaths that every new administration would get their hands on, and on realizing the horror and madness inside would immediately start on revising it... just to come to see how it could not be changed because of administratorial inertia and the sheer lunacy that cold war deterrence policy had become, and either leaving it be or just adding more nukes to it.

I'm not sure if that plan was ever made public, but I do remember Command and Control talking about some bridge in the middle of nowhere that was due for four separate rounds of atomic hellfire

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

hobbesmaster posted:

Ok, I'm going to post a political horse race tweet but PLEASE IGNORE THAT PART.

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1221827357276807169

When was the last time "a ruthless modern army armed with cluster bombs and napalm" beat partisans?

I'm really having trouble coming up with an example in the 20th century. Spanish civil war?

As others have pointed out he wisely specified open field, but we can still make fun of Frum for repeating this old myth right before he transitions into fantasizing about napalm and cluster munitions:

“The members of the team around Sanders are experts in Democratic Party factional infighting. Few have dealt with people who do not play by the rules of the mainstream Democratic Party. They have always been the rule breakers, the people who got inside the other team’s decision cycle. They have been the Minutemen fighting the Redcoats, picking off the other side’s regulars from behind trees and fences.”

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not sure if that plan was ever made public, but I do remember Command and Control talking about some bridge in the middle of nowhere that was due for four separate rounds of atomic hellfire

Multiple ones. The issue was that as the stockpile grew and ”counterforce” target list got larger they started adding important avenues of attack and mobility corridors that needed to be taken out. Especially near arctic circle these included rural bridges and highway junctions which would be the only passages for hundreds of miles to go from Soviet russia to NATO-country Norway.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Examples of insurgents/partisans getting crushed pretty hard in recent history through a variety of modern army, weaponry, or other state technical/numerical superiority:

ISIS (not gone, but severely rolled back)
Muslim Brotherhood in Syria getting smashed by Hafez al-Assad (father of Bashar al-Assad president) in 1982 using artillery and air-power followed by a ground clearing operation

Also, Syria, right now, today.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Phanatic posted:

Liquid metal coolant has a lot to recommend it from a safety perspective, especially on a submarine. Chiefly, that it's a liquid at high temperatures and ambient pressure so you don't have to pressurize your reactor to a level where the coolant will explode if there's a leak. If there is a leak, the coolant rapidly solidifies. In the case of lead, the coolant itself has a secondary function as gamma shielding. You can use electromagnetic pumps, which have no moving parts or shaft seals to leak, to move the coolant around. And you can't really overpressurize your reactor by letting it get too hot, because the boiling point of the coolant is so high. The US tried hard to make it work as well, but we were trying a liquid sodium alloy and Rickover was (for understandable reasons) vehemently opposed to having a coolant that ignites on contact with air and explodes on contact with water being used to cool the reactor on a submarine. The lead-bismuth alloy in the Alfa reactors doesn't have that problem. We put a sodium-cooled reactor on the Seawolf, but she had so many steam leaks in her superheaters that they were just bypassed, so the extra efficiency and power density of the reactor plant was more than made up for by the lack of superheaters, and the whole idea was scrapped at Rickover's insistence and Seawolf's reactor was cut out and replaced with a regular PWR.

And by design, the idea was that you *could* shut the reactors down, because when you were docked you'd hook the system up to a heater on shore and it would keep the system warm. Trouble was that the funding/training wasn't there for the maintenance of those systems, so the coolant heaters broke down, and the workaround was "just keep the reactor running."

And as for "the reactor could never be refueled," refueling a naval reactor is such an expensive proposition that modern naval plants are designed to last for the life of the ship from the outset. When the reactor's out of fuel, your ship's out of service life.

I'm just saying it sounds like a mad idea on the surface. And the fact that you have to have a heater for your coolant just reinforces the idea.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is this photo of anyone in particular? I don't recognize them.

I mistook him for Uncle Giap, lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JcDent posted:

I'm just saying it sounds like a mad idea on the surface. And the fact that you have to have a heater for your coolant just reinforces the idea.

There are scenarios where special measures must be taken to keep water from freezing.

That doesn’t make water‐based coolant fundamentally unsound.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Platystemon posted:

There are scenarios where special measures must be taken to keep water from freezing.

That doesn’t make water‐based coolant fundamentally unsound.

Yeah; in my experience in heavy industry, a lot if not most high duty coolant systems have a heating system integrated - even if just to heat up the cooling circuit to normal operating temperature (greater than ambient) prior to circuit startup after maintenance downtime and is not used again until the next maintenance event eight weeks later.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

JcDent posted:

I mistook him for Uncle Giap, lol

just a reminder that Giap was a stone hardcore ride or die for the revolution, advocating for farmers getting hosed by capitalist bauxite miners right up until his death.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JcDent posted:

A lot of ships historically have needed a *heater* for their *fuel.*

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
You need a heater in most Diesel truck engines don’t you? At least when it’s actually cold outside

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

You can always try to feed a marine engine with unheated bunker fuel. As long as you are willing to wait.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure most modern trucks have a coolant heater system. At least some of the huge ones do. Just like a heat exchanger that goes over the engine and runs warmed coolant over everything so you don't have to wait as long for the engine to heat up. It takes a long time for warmed coolant to get through all the nooks and crannies of a 15 liter engine.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mazz posted:

You need a heater in most Diesel truck engines don’t you? At least when it’s actually cold outside

That's a totally different thing. Block heaters are about keeping the cold cold cylinder wall from sinking the heat of compression faster than the fuel vapors can reach their flash point.

poo poo like #6 Fuel oil or Bunker C has to be kept around 150°f or else it's too thick to flow through a pipe.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I just though it's mildly amusing that a thing that needs to keep stuff cooler needs heating when not in use. :shobon:

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Also both gas and diesel engines benefit from block heaters in cold temps so the oil can flow better to lubricate at startup. In extreme cold the thickened oil can also affect the ability to turn over to start. That and combustion is more efficient hot. Otherwise you're dumping in extra fuel to warm up everything faster which increases fuel contamination of the oil and can burn out catalytic converters. It's why you're better off only warming a car for a short period. And with all of the exhaust side emissions equipment modern diesels are pretty bad to idle.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

shame on an IGA posted:

That's a totally different thing. Block heaters are about keeping the cold cold cylinder wall from sinking the heat of compression faster than the fuel vapors can reach their flash point.

poo poo like #6 Fuel oil or Bunker C has to be kept around 150°f or else it's too thick to flow through a pipe.

IIRC there's a OSHA or similar video somewhere breaking down an industrial accident at a refinery, involving hot sulfur-laden thick heavy crude oil eating through piping not designed for it and the workers not trained for that. Bad things happen.

Obligatory cold war reference: the giant refinery firestorm that kicks off Red Storm Rising I guess

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Valtonen posted:

Multiple ones. The issue was that as the stockpile grew and ”counterforce” target list got larger they started adding important avenues of attack and mobility corridors that needed to be taken out. Especially near arctic circle these included rural bridges and highway junctions which would be the only passages for hundreds of miles to go from Soviet russia to NATO-country Norway.

While we’re on the topic of nuclear weapon books, Fresh Air had an interview with Fred Kaplan yesterday about his new book The Bomb: Presidents, Generals, and the Secret History of Nuclear War. I don’t know how legit Kaplan is or anything about the book, but it sounded interesting.

He did mention how under (I think) Bush senior some guy in the administration went through and drastically reduced the amount of nukes needed simply by getting rid of the absurd overkill built into the plans. Same overall objectives, just without the “hey let’s hit this airfield in Siberia that’s only usable 1/4 of the year with 17 nukes to be sure” stuff.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Now that my career path seems to be veering sharply towards arms control and nonproliferation, I'm stalking the hell out of this thread.

I'd like to start by recommending The Bomb: Presidents, Generals, and the Secret History of Nuclear War by Fred Kaplan. I got my hands on an advance copy, and now that it's actually out, I can strongly recommend it for an overview of the origins, developments, and absurdities of US nuclear doctrine. If you've read Wizards of Armageddon, he covers some of the same ground for the early years of nuclear doctrine. This time around he's got more declassified nuclear documents to work off of, which is nice.

EDIT: Whoops, someone just mentioned it.

david_a posted:

While we’re on the topic of nuclear weapon books, Fresh Air had an interview with Fred Kaplan yesterday about his new book The Bomb: Presidents, Generals, and the Secret History of Nuclear War. I don’t know how legit Kaplan is or anything about the book, but it sounded interesting.

He did mention how under (I think) Bush senior some guy in the administration went through and drastically reduced the amount of nukes needed simply by getting rid of the absurd overkill built into the plans. Same overall objectives, just without the “hey let’s hit this airfield in Siberia that’s only usable 1/4 of the year with 17 nukes to be sure” stuff.

Kaplan's pretty legit. Wizards of Armageddon is essential reading.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Command and Control made reference to the SIOP being such ridiculous overkill that on certain targets incoming nuclear weapons would likely be vaporized by other nuclear weapons going off ahead of them.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
The accidental dense pack nuclear defense strategy!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the etymology of "blue falcon"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

zoux posted:

What's the etymology of "blue falcon"

Buddy fucker

IE “ no sarge i don’t know where seamen Timmy is”
When you could have said
“I overheard him saying he was reporting to sick bay”

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 28, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know what it means, I want to know why it means that

https://twitter.com/halbritz/status/1222193764397088771

It's cause I've seen a bunch of people calling this guy that today

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

SIOP-62 also called for nuking China, whether it was involved in the war or not. Plus the total annihilation of Albania.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Karenina posted:

SIOP-62 also called for nuking China, whether it was involved in the war or not. Plus the total annihilation of Albania.

That's because the Albanians were evil communists OP. Leaving them would be bad and we're the good guys, haven't you heard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Karenina posted:

They should've snuck in some rival cities.
"Wait, some soviet spy put in a nuke for Annapolis and one for Boston?"
"Beat navy, gently caress the red sox"

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's because the Albanians were evil communists OP. Leaving them would be bad and we're the good guys, haven't you heard

If the Albanians didn't want to be nuked into the Stone Age, they shouldn't have kept Soviet air-defense radar on their soil. Just dump it into the Adriatic, problem solved, you don't get nuked. :colbert:

Or build more bunkers, I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Karenina posted:

If the Albanians didn't want to be nuked into the Stone Age, they shouldn't have kept Soviet air-defense radar on their soil. Just dump it into the Adriatic, problem solved, you don't get nuked. :colbert:

Or build more bunkers, I guess.

THEY’RE BUILDING BUNKERS AS FAST AS THEY CAN, OK?!?

They were like the sonic the hedgehog of bunker builders

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Also wanna rec another book called Eating Grass: The Making of the Pakistani Bomb by Feroz Hassan Khan. It's a fascinating look at the making of a shoestring-budget under-the-table nuclear program from a relative insider's perspective. There's lots of crazy poo poo in there, like an aging, overheated military barracks-turned-uranium enrichment site with "lots of snakes."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mixing snakes with the uranium enrichment process is how you get teenage mutant ninja things.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

zoux posted:

I know what it means, I want to know why it means that

because the letters are BF

that's it, that's the reason

the etymology is literally buddy fucker->bf->blue falcon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Oh lol, I though it had something to do with "blue on blue" but yeah that makes sense

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Although Soviet nuclear war plans leak very rarely, I think my favorite is apparently (probably not) Khrushchev circling Minneapolis on a map during a meeting with Hubert Humphrey and saying that he would spare it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Although Soviet nuclear war plans leak very rarely, I think my favorite is apparently (probably not) Khrushchev circling Minneapolis on a map during a meeting with Hubert Humphrey and saying that he would spare it.

The fallout from bombing all the silos in the dakotas probably would make everyone in Minneapolis wish for death though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

the etymology is literally buddy fucker->bf->blue falcon

In that case, why "Blue Falcon" and not "Bravo Foxtrot" or something similar?