Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BOGO LOAD posted:

the worst one of those was “O’Brien takes his family on a picnic.”

*O’Brien’s daughter falls into a time portal and comes out a feral 18 year old*

no, given how hard the writers always poo poo on him, that description sounds absolutely correct to me

like what else *could* possibly happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's just the plot device, the real plot is about Bashir getting driven crazy by them while Lwaxana sexually harasses Odo

Is funny that every single Federation ambassador we see is ridiculously obnoxious and has to be forcibly prevented from screwing everything up

I'm pretty sure they're doing this on purpose, it's all the rage. Steven Universe fans have caught on and expect innocuous episode titles to be something significant and vice versa

lol the bit where odo goes to sisko to complain about sexual harassment and sisko is like "have you considered just loving her?"

i was laughing so hard thinking about that happening today

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i liked when o'brien was tortured for an infinite amount of time in a mental prison and then went home after like three hours and had a brief episode-long bout of PTSD and suicidal thoughts, and then the episode ended and he went back to normal forever

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i like to think odo is gay the only sex act he enjoys is having a man dip their junk in his water pail

Serf
May 5, 2011

my brain is so rotted through at this point that i half-expected troi’s mom to hold gooform odo in her vagina

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Troi's mom is one of my favorite characters just due to everyone's (especially Troi herself) reaction to her

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Serf posted:

my brain is so rotted through at this point that i half-expected troi’s mom to hold gooform odo in her vagina

She didn't consider it until after it happened

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Serf posted:

sure but that's bullshit imo. also are we saying that all mining and trade is in the form of dilithium and latinum? why? what does the federation need to trade for? i keep hearing "this is our biggest source of dilithium" a lot so i think its just that the writers don't want to deal with how hard it is to come up with conflict in a post-scarcity world

like last night i was watching ds9 and kira was mad about some aliens running some volatile chemical to the cardassians, that they got from a mine. the cardassians have replicators, why do they need to trade for this chemical?

You gotta have something to fight over, it can't all be ideologies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Peanut President posted:

You gotta have something to fight over, it can't all be ideologies.

i still laugh when i read about the tng writers tearing their hair out because roddenberry insisted that all members of the bridge crew needed to be friends so they had a hard time coming up with interpersonal conflict

then you watch discovery where they just replicated game of thrones and you get multiple backstabs/betrayals an episode and it just sucks

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Serf posted:

i still laugh when i read about the tng writers tearing their hair out because roddenberry insisted that all members of the bridge crew needed to be friends so they had a hard time coming up with interpersonal conflict

then you watch discovery where they just replicated game of thrones and you get multiple backstabs/betrayals an episode and it just sucks

all the officers having to be friends is how we got all the great fun episodes where a space virus / mysterious energy makes the crew violent, horny, or violently horny

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
What if the producers of TNG had done all seven seasons at once with no feedback at all

Imagine seven seasons' worth of The Naked Now and the episode where Lieutenant Yar is kidnapped by guys from the primitive africa planet

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
it i remember my ds9 right, section 31 was created by the starfleet charter so it's been secretly rogue operating since before the founding of the federation. it's like a relic of pre-utopia.

the deep buried subtext of ds9 is that federation ideals didn't survive the encounter with the borg.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think if you wanna do some story about the Federations ideals crumbling the crumbling should be front and center not already happened, since basically everything in Picard is loving wrong for the Federation. But I don't think you have to do it's ideals crumbling, because as mysterious frankie said, the Federation is propaganda about how we can do better and it's supposed to be held up as this is the gay luxury space communism future we can reach if we stop being terrible, and I don't want it to be dark I want stories about how we get that future.

Also Picard didn't give a poo poo about Data, gently caress you Kurtzman.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Alexander Hilary Kurtzman (born September 7, 1973) is an American film and television writer, producer, and director. He is best known for executive producing the Star Trek franchise since 2009, co-writing the scripts to Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 with his writing and producing partner Roberto Orci, and directing and co-writing The Mummy

drat, hell of a writer they got for this. Some of the greatest odes to our time, for sure

Serf
May 5, 2011

he made the mummy so that's one win i guess

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BOGO LOAD posted:

the worst one of those was “O’Brien takes his family on a picnic.”

*O’Brien’s daughter falls into a time portal and comes out a feral 18 year old*

O'Brien is just the Science Fiction equivalent to the story of Job from the bible...

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Serf posted:

he made the mummy so that's one win i guess

The bad Tom Cruise Mummy, not the good Brendan Fraiser Mummy

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

endless trash!!!!!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tricky D posted:

it i remember my ds9 right, section 31 was created by the starfleet charter so it's been secretly rogue operating since before the founding of the federation. it's like a relic of pre-utopia.

the deep buried subtext of ds9 is that federation ideals didn't survive the encounter with the borg.

it's text on TNG in "The Drumhead"

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Dreylad posted:

it's text on TNG in "The Drumhead"

That was a good ep

Serf
May 5, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

gently caress i forgot about that. my bad

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Not to take away from Trek chat, but A Little Hatred, from Joe Abercrombie is that cool left wing fantasy story in like an early industrial period right? Or is that another book?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

KomradeX posted:

Not to take away from Trek chat, but A Little Hatred, from Joe Abercrombie is that cool left wing fantasy story in like an early industrial period right? Or is that another book?

that's the one, the timeline of his First Law setting has been continuously advancing (A Little Hatred is ~30 years after the original trilogy iirc)

its also the start of a new trilogy

LGD has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Jan 30, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tricky D posted:

That was a good ep

pretty much any picard episode where patrick stewart gets to do some monologues is gonna be good

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Serf posted:

gently caress i forgot about that. my bad

Don't worry, everybody else forgot about that movie too :kiddo:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I rrrrrrrreally want an adaptation of Samuel R. Delany's Nova and have for like 15 years now. I feel like Panos Cosmatos could make a... correct adaptation.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Alexander Hilary Kurtzman (born September 7, 1973) is an American film and television writer, producer, and director. He is best known for executive producing the Star Trek franchise since 2009, co-writing the scripts to Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 with his writing and producing partner Roberto Orci, and directing and co-writing The Mummy

drat, hell of a writer they got for this. Some of the greatest odes to our time, for sure

lmao the only successful thing on there is transformers

make one lucky hit and youre set for life in hollywood

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Eimi posted:

Also Picard didn't give a poo poo about Data, gently caress you Kurtzman.

thats one of the weirdest parts of this everyone knows that datas best buddy was geordi picard was at best his boss

you could conceivably make a good story out of this by having the premise being that picard is going senile and has much rosier interpretations of his past relationships than actually existed but that would require acknowledging that picard was an appealing character mainly because he was flawed

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah IIRC Data often annoyed Picard with weird "But why human thing?" questions and also caused problems when he did bizarre robot hobbies. Geordie was the one who was awful at human interaction who related to him best.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

LGD posted:

that's the one, the timeline of his First Law setting has been continuously advancing (A Little Hatred is ~30 years after the original trilogy iirc)

its also the start of a new trilogy

Oh good, I haven't read the First Law books, is that a detriment?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
watched magnolia last night and boy do i yearn for the days of energetic PTA

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I really enjoyed magnolia when I first watched it but on a rewatch it's... not very good. the Aimee Mann stuff is just really fanboyish and everything with John c. Reilly and the woman with the coke is just bad. Tom cruise has an incredibly compelling first scene but then kind of does nothing. I'm not a big fan of the opening bits with the narration either.

now, The Master, now there's a fukkin movie

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the data/picard thing was something they played up in the movies, first contact, insurrection a little bit, then nemesis

so that's where they're drawing it from it's not completely wrong if you look at it from the perspective that the characters continue to grow after TNG ends -- data and picard become closer, picard starts playing poker at the end of "all good things" which is something explicitly shown with picard.

that doesn't mean picard is good or I really want to defend it though gently caress im a nerd

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That Picard gives a poo poo about his former crew is probably the easiest thing to buy about the show so far I don't understand what the problem is

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tighclops posted:

That Picard gives a poo poo about his former crew is probably the easiest thing to buy about the show so far I don't understand what the problem is

Yeah, I don't get that criticism. I think it might've been better to be a bit less restrictive about TNG cameos but that's believable.

The super duper Tal Shiar i'm not quite as fond of, but i'm fine with rolling onward. They did a lot of explanation of the world building in E1.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

KomradeX posted:

Oh good, I haven't read the First Law books, is that a detriment?

I'm not entirely through A Little Hatred yet, but yes, it depends on the former books enough that I'd say I would want to read them first.

But I have read the First Law first trilogy a ton of times and am entirely biased so I'm a bad opinion on the matter.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hero-troop picard gives america a much needed message of hope, in these dark times where mean people lurk around every corner

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Hero-troop picard gives america a much needed message of hope, in these dark times where mean people lurk around every corner

These mean people... do they suck?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
watched the 2012 les miserables because we were talking about the book here, what an exhausting movie.

the revolution stuff was all pretty good, but then marius goes and gets married to the rich girl and gets rich himself, and then the movie just sort of ends. i know that's basically how the source goes too, but it seemed like the last hour just zipped by after the first two crawled, and then it was over.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Zvahl posted:

I'm not entirely through A Little Hatred yet, but yes, it depends on the former books enough that I'd say I would want to read them first.

But I have read the First Law first trilogy a ton of times and am entirely biased so I'm a bad opinion on the matter.

How is Joe as a writer these days? The OG trilogy was a little shakey craft wise but it feels like each of the 3 standalone was better written than the last. I havent read his YA fiction or more recent short story collection.