Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dash was very deadly. I don't remember if it was possible to kill yourself with regular running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCBhZVafetk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

of all the sins i'd lay at either of the reboot shadow warrior games' feet that is one i have never heard of or remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhgupYq_TA
It pissed me off so much

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

queeb posted:

its an epic game :(

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/journey-to-the-savage-planet/home

I just picked it up since it looked cool and I saw a trailer posted earlier in the thread i think

IGN did a video review that said the first 3/4 is fantastic but as you get further into the game you have to do more of the lackluster combat instead of Metroid style free form exploring. So def give it a shot until you don't like it any more. I'm curios to find out when the turn happens

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I thought Shadow Warrior 2 would somehow continue past the aftermath of the first game, but it's as if the devs wanted to actively forget about everything that happened in the first game. When the game crashed, I never fired it up again.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just finished Metro Last Light and well, "C'est la vie."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

shame, now you can’t play exodus

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the level design in shadow warrior is so bad and the gated combat arenas are the pits. it's not like nu-doom where at least the arenas are designed like a tiny Q3A map, it's just a killbox every single time, but not a big one like serious sam

annoying loving enemies in that game too

not sure if i'll ever play the second one

i actually thought hard reset (same dev) was more enjoyable even though it also had a lot of problems

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

shame, now you can’t play exodus

drat, I got the good ending in Metro 2033, does that mean I shouldn't have played Last Light? :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

the level design in shadow warrior is so bad and the gated combat arenas are the pits. it's not like nu-doom where at least the arenas are designed like a tiny Q3A map, it's just a killbox every single time, but not a big one like serious sam

i actually thought hard reset (same dev) was more enjoyable even though it also had a lot of problems

The thing I appreciated about Hard Reset is that about half the weapons in the game are pretty blatantly the beams and missiles from Metroid Prime. They had super missiles, the charge beam, plasma beam, and wavebuster just off the top of my head.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mierenneuker posted:

drat, I got the good ending in Metro 2033, does that mean I shouldn't have played Last Light? :ohdear:

Yes, unless you replay it and get the bad ending.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah I liked Hard Reset a lot more, despite it's issues, it was a lot of fun and decent a e s t h e t i c. Still would like a Hard Reset 2 but maybe with a sane and followable plot this time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Orv posted:

As someone who also loves Diablo 1 to death - though I still love the ARPGs that have come since - this is an extremely insane thing to say given that Torchlight 1 is about as Diablo 1 clone as anything has ever gotten. Granted the gameplay is a little more modern than that.

Eh, it's got the structure (boy does it have the structure!), but the gameplay itself is much more Diablo 2. It was ok, I didn't hate my time playing it and I beat it on my own, which is more than I can say for Diablo 2, but it seems every ARPG in that style goes for something faster and flashier than what I'm looking for. I briefly touched on it, but I think it's an artefact of Diablo's turn-based origins; the games following Diablo started development as real-time games, which led to much different design choices.

Griefor posted:

Couple posts ago catlord ends up on Darkest Dungeon of all games as the best modern iteration of Diablo I. Which means catlord is looking more for theme, which is a valid thing to look for but framing it as "I'm looking for a game like Diablo I" without specifying that seems a bit off.

Yeah, I did somewhat thoughtlessly shift things a bit partway through, that's on me. Sorry.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

BexGu posted:

IGN did a video review that said the first 3/4 is fantastic but as you get further into the game you have to do more of the lackluster combat instead of Metroid style free form exploring. So def give it a shot until you don't like it any more. I'm curios to find out when the turn happens

yeah so far the exploring is fantastic, bombing around finding poo poo with my grapple and triple jump ive unlocked. the shooting is real meh though

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

drat.

Went back and replayed from Red Square and made sure to get all the moral points from there and still got the C'est la vie ending. Thought I'd be closer since I took the gas mask off when asked, spared that rear end in a top hat what's-his-name, saved Pavel, and the bear. I even made it through the Venice without being seen and over that bridge without killing.

Guess I just killed to many people.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

OhFunny posted:

drat.

Went back and replayed from Red Square and made sure to get all the moral points from there and still got the C'est la vie ending. Thought I'd be closer since I took the gas mask off when asked, spared that rear end in a top hat what's-his-name, saved Pavel, and the bear. I even made it through the Venice without being seen and over that bridge without killing.

The 'morality' system in Metro is definitely extremely obtuse and the weakest parts about them. that said just lookup the other ending and pretend thats what you got if you want to.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

OhFunny posted:

huh, I would have said that should have gotten you the good ending (Lesnitsky is the biggest bad karma hit in the game, and Pavel/Bear should have helped), but as Xaris said:

Xaris posted:

The 'morality' system in Metro is definitely extremely obtuse and the weakest parts about them. that said just lookup the other ending and pretend thats what you got if you want to.

So if y'all don't mind me tooting my own horn, you can see the good ending here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ypgLl4cs8. Starts at the 9:50 mark

/edit: The game locks the ending in before you actually hit it; The Little One has a bit of dialogue right at the end of Polis that changes depending on which ending you're getting:

Good Ending:

Bad Ending:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 28, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xaris posted:

It’s even worse in Metro Exodus. Also the first part of its ending is shared between both endings, the second part has the different outcomes. With the good ending it ends up being an emotional rollercoaster. With the bad ending that buildup is just a kick in the nuts.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 28, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s even worse in Metro Exodus. Also the first part of its ending is shared between both endings, the second part has the different outcomes. With the good ending it ends up being an emotional rollercoaster. With the bad ending it’s a just a kick in the nuts.

At least for Exodus I got the good ending without having to use a bloody guide to play all the Balalaikas in the Metro. :argh:

Do you need to save all crew members to get the good ending in Exodus? I managed to pull it off but yeah; at least LL's C'est la Vie is bittersweet, the bad ending for Exodus is just a loving downer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

At least for Exodus I got the good ending without having to use a bloody guide to play all the Balalaikas in the Metro. :argh:

Do you need to save all crew members to get the good ending in Exodus? I managed to pull it off but yeah; at least LL's C'est la Vie is bittersweet, the bad ending for Exodus is just a loving downer.

No, I lost the crew member in the first area but no one else and got the good ending

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

huh, I would have said that should have gotten you the good ending (Lesnitsky is the biggest bad karma hit in the game, and Pavel/Bear should have helped), but as Xaris said:

So if y'all don't mind me tooting my own horn, you can see the good ending here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ypgLl4cs8. Starts at the 9:50 mark

/edit: The game locks the ending in before you actually hit it; The Little One has a bit of dialogue right at the end of Polis that changes depending on which ending you're getting:

Good Ending:

Bad Ending:

Certainly feels that way. I looked through what gives and loses you moral points. The two biggest ones I can see are shooting those surrendering Nazi soldiers. I didn't even realize that while doing so, because I was moving so fast through that level.

Huh. That's an interesting tidbit. On first playthrough I thought him saying, You're good ment I was on the right track.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

shadow warrior 2 was such an incredible disappointment

I think they intended for people to play those boring-rear end levels over and over again and I don't get it

Why would you want to

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Remember that Dying Light Battle Royale they tried to sell a while back? No you don't. It was a horrible flop. Well now you can get it for free if you own Dying Light. Just go to their generic code redeem site:

https://dockets.dyinglightgame.com/account/redeem-codes

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Return of the Obra Dinn is the midweek madness sale and seems to be at its lowest price ever at $14.

I know I read about that game for pages and pages and have been in a gaming rut, so I feel like the timing is perfect.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jewce posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn is the midweek madness sale and seems to be at its lowest price ever at $14.

I know I read about that game for pages and pages and have been in a gaming rut, so I feel like the timing is perfect.

Play this game, it is great! This game is great, play it :drum:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
This is kinda the PC gaming thread so, can anyone playing on a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler tell me about their temperatures? It feels like this thing gets crazy hot, like 80+ degrees celcius, but I want to make sure whether or not it is normal before I try fiddling with reseating the heatsink.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edmond Dantes posted:

What are you talking about? You and the obviously sane, reasonable commander get to ride your train to war against literal hell! :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Det_no posted:

Remember that Dying Light Battle Royale they tried to sell a while back? No you don't. It was a horrible flop. Well now you can get it for free if you own Dying Light. Just go to their generic code redeem site:

The steam charts graph for this game is crazy. Like it would appear that literally nobody purchased this game at all while Dying Light proper still pulls in around 15k players on average. A battle royale with Dying Light mechanics sounds like it should be a winning combination but I imagine somewhere between charging for the game and releasing it next to all these crazy popular F2P battle royale games it really was a complete disaster.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Det_no posted:

drat, I had forgotten about that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

a battle royale with roguelike elements

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trying hard to think of something that sounds less like a winning combination than "battle royale + anything"

Orv
May 4, 2011
Do not like =! bad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It'd still be an awful business decision even if I liked the game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fallom posted:

Trying hard to think of something that sounds less like a winning combination than "battle royale + anything"
"guys, we have our own AutoChess!!"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fallom posted:

It'd still be an awful business decision even if I liked the game

I mean now it would, yes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Command and Conquer F2P anime gatcha game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They tried that and EA canceled it after the beta

It was only a little anime though

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It was an ok gamemode but not very balanced and it recycled tons of assets from the original game. Releasing it as a paid standalone was pretty stupid.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mordja posted:

What are you talking about? You and the obviously sane, reasonable commander get to ride your train to war against literal hell! :v:

Eh, sounded more like perpetual limbo to me. Dunno, at least in LL Artyom just dies, he's not condemned for eternity :v:

Det_no posted:

This is kinda the PC gaming thread so, can anyone playing on a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler tell me about their temperatures? It feels like this thing gets crazy hot, like 80+ degrees celcius, but I want to make sure whether or not it is normal before I try fiddling with reseating the heatsink.

I would like to know this as well; I made a post in the AMD thread when I just got the thing since it was idling at ~45-50C and was hitting ~72 when playing stuff, but the folks there told me it was normal and to stop worrying...

But now I'm super paranoid since it's summer here and it's been running hot as all gently caress. Right now I'm just shitposting and watching YT and I'm sitting at 61C. It's been hitting peaks of ~85 with Monster Hunter World and a couple days ago I had a mild freakout because I wasn't running the temp monitor and when I checked it it had hit 92. Again, it was like 32C room temp that day, and Ryzen Master says the limit is 95, but I sure as gently caress don't like skirting that close to that.

My airflow is fine afaik, got 2 front and 2 top fans and my GPU is coasting at a cozy 40-50 at high load, so I don't think my case is the issue. I've just been keeping an eye on temps like a hawk and avoiding MHW when I'm not running the AC on the hottest days, but I'm seriously thinking about getting an adapter for my old aftermarket cooler (Evo 212).

/Edit: I'm running the turbo profile for all fans, everything hits 100% fan speed at 65C, so it's not that. I'm also not running oc of any kind.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 29, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
e: nevermind that, apparently not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Det_no posted:

80C+ seems a little high. I played a few rounds of BF2 Starfighter mode and hit 71C, but there are more intensive CPU games so that might be as normal Zen 2 does run hot.

Is Game Boost or whatever non-MSI equivalent turned on in BIOS? That pushed my AMD 3600 right past it's safety temp and it shut down. That was crunching WCG tasks and not games, but still pushing the CPU right to 4.2 at all times isn't good.

I'd also check the fan curve in BIOS. Mine was stuck at 100% fan speed until I reset the settings. Yours might be on the low side.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Eh, sounded more like perpetual limbo to me. Dunno, at least in LL Artyom just dies, he's not condemned for eternity :v:

I would like to know this as well; I made a post in the AMD thread when I just got the thing since it was idling at ~45-50C and was hitting ~72 when playing stuff, but the folks there told me it was normal and to stop worrying...

But now I'm super paranoid since it's summer here and it's been running hot as all gently caress. Right now I'm just shitposting and watching YT and I'm sitting at 61C. It's been hitting peaks of ~85 with Monster Hunter World and a couple days ago I had a mild freakout because I wasn't running the temp monitor and when I checked it it had hit 92. Again, it was like 32C room temp that day, and Ryzen Master says the limit is 95, but I sure as gently caress don't like skirting that close to that.

My airflow is fine afaik, got 2 front and 2 top fans and my GPU is coasting at a cozy 40-50 at high load, so I don't think my case is the issue. I've just been keeping an eye on temps like a hawk and avoiding MHW when I'm not running the AC on the hottest days, but I'm seriously thinking about getting an adapter for my old aftermarket cooler (Evo 212).

/Edit: I'm running the turbo profile for all fans, everything hits 100% fan speed at 65C, so it's not that. I'm also not running oc of any kind.

hmm. It's winter here where I am, but idle temps are in the mid-30s to low-40s. I'd definitely make sure Game Boost or whatever else it's called isn't on in the BIOS.

Edit: Running CPU-Z's CPU stress test pushes the temp to 78C with the stock cooler. Big difference being I am in a room at 22C.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 29, 2020