Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

The fallout from bombing all the silos in the dakotas probably would make everyone in Minneapolis wish for death though

Business as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

In that case, why "Blue Falcon" and not "Bravo Foxtrot" or something similar?

I think it's cause you can say so and so is member of the order of the blue falcon.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
If you refer to someone as "Bravo Foxtrot" it's clear that you're using military initials that stand for something with a "B--- F----" structure, while calling someone a blue falcon makes it a bit more ambiguous.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Davin Valkri posted:

hosed if i know, maybe because that sounds stupid and nato letters get used for actual things?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Davin Valkri posted:

people can and do use bravo foxtrot, it isn't against regs or nothing

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Then what does Dyno Mutt mean?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

people can and do use bravo foxtrot, it isn't against regs or nothing

1st Sgt just laying into you for using SNAFU wrong

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
People sometimes just loudly “cacaw” to denote blue falconry.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mlmp08 posted:

“cacaw”
/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Karenina posted:

If the Albanians didn't want to be nuked into the Stone Age, they shouldn't have kept Soviet air-defense radar on their soil. Just dump it into the Adriatic, problem solved, you don't get nuked. :colbert:

Or build more bunkers, I guess.

Albania built more than 3000 bunkers.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Arglebargle III posted:

A small prize to pay for Soviet air defence radars.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Very solid investment :v:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

david_a posted:

While we’re on the topic of nuclear weapon books, Fresh Air had an interview with Fred Kaplan yesterday about his new book The Bomb: Presidents, Generals, and the Secret History of Nuclear War. I don’t know how legit Kaplan is or anything about the book, but it sounded interesting.

He did mention how under (I think) Bush senior some guy in the administration went through and drastically reduced the amount of nukes needed simply by getting rid of the absurd overkill built into the plans. Same overall objectives, just without the “hey let’s hit this airfield in Siberia that’s only usable 1/4 of the year with 17 nukes to be sure” stuff.

This is also mentioned in command and control- the moment Soviet Union collapsed the next (last) commander of SAC, General butler, just browsed through SIOP and nixed “75%” of all targets and weapon deployments.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arglebargle III posted:

How about 173,371 of em!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunkers_in_Albania

quote:

The concrete bunkers of Albania are a ubiquitous sight in the country, with an average of 5.7 bunkers for every square kilometre (14.7 per square mile). The bunkers (Albanian: bunkerët) were built during the communist government of Enver Hoxha from the 1960s to the 1980s; by 1983 a total of 173,371 concrete bunkers had been constructed around the country.[1][2]

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's more than 3,000 :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

That's more than 3,000 :colbert:

You were the closest without going over.

Also

quote:

Some Albanians have taken to using the bunkers for more romantic purposes. In a country where until recently cars were in short supply, they were popular places for lovers to have sex; as travel writer Tony Wheeler puts it, "Albanian virginity is lost in a Hoxha bunker as often as American virginity was once lost in the back seats of cars."

Fuckbunkers

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Bunker oil, used for crude purposes.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Kesper North posted:

mods?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kesper North posted:

:barf:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kesper North posted:

Beautiful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wtf

I knew that Hoxhaists building bunkers was a meme.

I didn’t know it was that bad.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hoxa decreed something to the effect that every family had to build a concrete bunker or pay extra tax - for the safety of the motherland of course! He was also paranoid that foreigners were coming to assassinate him if I remember correctly. Basically, Albania had a deranged dictator who created a stalinist bureaucracy that forced everyone to build lovely bunkers.
Cold War!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

He was pretty much a deranged Bond villain from what I've read. Like I recall one anecdote that he made the designer of those standard bunkers stay in one as he had a tank drive over it to test the structural integrity of the design.

It's funny, growing up my father always said the moment he gave up on campus politics in university was when the main, previously sensible left-wing campus club suddenly switched gears and decided the only acceptable way forward for Canada was Hoxhaism.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

He was pretty much a deranged Bond villain from what I've read. Like I recall one anecdote that he made the designer of those standard bunkers stay in one as he had a tank drive over it to test the structural integrity of the design.

It's funny, growing up my father always said the moment he gave up on campus politics in university was when the main, previously sensible left-wing campus club suddenly switched gears and decided the only acceptable way forward for Canada was Hoxhaism.

Did they start digging holes and pouring concrete bunkers in the quad??

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
They didn't, that's why he quit.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Given the way the RCMP was (and is) infiltrating revolutionary groups I wonder how much of the push for irrational extremism in leftist political clubs has come from Agent Provocateurs. There's a book on RCMP activities on campus during the cold war that might answer that but 1. I don't have it and 2. What is available of it on google seems a bit dry.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The Sausages posted:

Given the way the RCMP was (and is) infiltrating revolutionary groups I wonder how much of the push for irrational extremism in leftist political clubs has come from Agent Provocateurs. There's a book on RCMP activities on campus during the cold war that might answer that but 1. I don't have it and 2. What is available of it on google seems a bit dry.

OTOH considering how the red left generally behaves probably the only provocation they needed to do was leave some Hoxhaist propaganda lying around...

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Yeah, true. I get the feeling the history of cold war espionage from all sides within Western educational institutions, both among the students and the faculty, as well as among public servants is pretty dry for the most part with a few spicy sections and a sprinkling of WTF moments.

Speaking of which ,whether or not it's true, lol:
https://twitter.com/ianshaw91/status/1222313367320387584/photo/1

Also this is amazing:

Softface posted:

I spent this week TDY at Idaho National Labs doing some :nsa: and when one of our hosts mentioned the engines for a nuclear-powered bomber I perked right up and asked if I could take a picture of the "flying crime against humanity." Luckily it was part of the tour anyway (along with a really good ice cream store).

As you might expect, something like this needs to be out in the middle of loving nowhere, which is why they put it in Idaho.

One of them, I think the second, apparently caught fire during testing and made part of the warehouse they were being built in hot zones for the next few generations.

Airman for scale. These things are loving huge, I think I've lived in houses smaller than them.

I love the verbiage in the last paragraph here, but the whole display is about how awful an idea it was, emphasizing that it was obsolete and unnecessary even when they conceived of it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How would you even get this as a deep cover mole? Just padded envelope in the mail from NOT KGB COVER ORG, LLC?

This would be a cool premise for a story:

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2797.html

quote:

Insights from a wargame involving AI and autonomous systems
Players put their systems on different autonomous settings to signal resolve and commitment during the conflict.
The speed of autonomous systems did lead to inadvertent escalation in the wargame.

Maybe some opposing black box algorithms tripping each other off due to accidental runaway feedback from some esoteric variables and the humans trying to figure out why there's all this shooting suddenly

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Strong cold war (and dolphin) vibes.

https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1222510655586152449?s=21

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Your funny DoD acronym of the day:

Elements of national power: Military, Information, Diplomatic, Financial, Intelligence, Economic, Legal, and Development, or MIDFIELD

my favorite MIDFIELD was probably zidane, with gerrard a close second

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Undersecretary of Defense for Policy John Rood even told reporters that the W76-2 would be “very stabilizing” and in no way supports U.S. early use of nuclear weapons, even though the Nuclear Posture Review explicitly stated the warhead was needed for “prompt response” strike options against Russian early use of nuclear weapons.

“Prompt response” means that strategic Trident submarines in a W76-2 scenario would be used as tactical nuclear weapons, potentially in a first use scenario or immediately after Russia escalated, thus forming the United States’ own “escalate-to-deescalate” capability. The United States has refused to rule out first use of nuclear weapons. :v:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

"even if he was a spy/informant he was still a great grandpa to me though"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I’ve always thought no first use policies are the political equivalent of patting yourself on the back

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What other countries have no-first-use policies besides China

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zoux posted:

What other countries have no-first-use policies besides China

The Soviet Union did. Or at least that was their claim.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I assume no-first-use policies are highly conditional on whether or not they find out later they want to use them first.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

aphid_licker posted:

How would you even get this as a deep cover mole? Just padded envelope in the mail from NOT KGB COVER ORG, LLC?

Presumably from his handler and he was motivated by ideological reasons. If the tweet/reddit are real, which they probably aren’t, and giving medals to people permanently in the US seems much too sloppy for the KGB besides.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The Soviet Union did. Or at least that was their claim.

I mean strategic I guess but weren't they planning to throw tactical nukes left and right as part of any invasion of western Europe?

I just recall seeing some map comparing Warsaw Pact and NATO WW3 plans and they both seemed to come down to "Nuke the hell out of Poland".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I’ve always thought no first use policies are the political equivalent of patting yourself on the back

It matters for China though because only they can ostensibly use conventional ICBMs in a conflict without prompting a response.