Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
SFV in general really likes to rub in the loses more than other games.

Besides the announcer booming “YOU HAVE..... 10 WINS... AND 150 LOSSES” before a match (and sometimes it’ll just be like “GOOD LUCK” against a strong player), instead of being like “Bison wins” and moving the gently caress on, “YOU LOSE” spreads across the entire screen and they take you into another screen just to tell you how much you lost. They might as well have included a game over screen and boot your rear end back to the title screen after a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

MechaX posted:

Besides the announcer booming “YOU HAVE..... 10 WINS... AND 150 LOSSES” before a match (and sometimes it’ll just be like “GOOD LUCK” against a strong player), instead of being like “Bison wins” and moving the gently caress on, “YOU LOSE” spreads across the entire screen and they take you into another screen just to tell you how much you lost. They might as well have included a game over screen and boot your rear end back to the title screen after a loss.

I think what got me into Xrd from sfv was that i could pretty much mash the rematch button and hop back in to get my rear end kicked again after losing, with almost no waiting. In contrast sfv at the time had worse load times (thanks to an unskippable white screen or something?) and kicked you back to matchmaking after every match without a rematch option. I don't know if you could even skip the drawn out 'you lose' screen, either. Basically I was only having fun in sfv if I was winning, which I'm starting to see is a warning sign for how much (or little) I enjoy a game.

Dias posted:

The Infiltration thing is TOs using plausible deniability to avoid trouble. We see that in sports and music and <insert almost anything here> all the time. "If the justice system didn't see fit to punish them, it's fine". It sucks and I think making sure that people don't forget this sort of BS is important, because in Real Sports a lot of people got away with terrible stuff back in the day because the media just kept their mouths shut.

Not to beat this topic into the ground but wasn't he convicted or he confessed or something? I tried giving him some tournament advice on Twitter the other day but he blocked me. His loss I guess.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dhamster posted:

Not to beat this topic into the ground but wasn't he convicted or he confessed or something? I tried giving him some tournament advice on Twitter the other day but he blocked me. His loss I guess.

I'm not sure because it's South Korean justice, but I think it was a deal sorta thing, but it didn't go into his permanent record? The good ol' all's well that ends well that marks these situations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
:siren: hot take incoming

I don’t think any player should be banned from an open tournament such as evo for stuff they did outside of the event or its players, especially if the legal system already dealt with it (even if it felt like a light slap on the wrist).

This includes Infiltration, who is a piece of poo poo and I would never invite to an invitational or hire onto my team and sure as hell wouldn’t excitedly tweet about his triumphant return.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If you haven't read King Hippo's writeup of the whole shebang yet I would recommend doing so:
https://themsfightingwordsblog.com/2019/12/14/infiltration-will-compete-again-in-2020-he-shouldnt-heres-why/

I wasn't aware his ex-wife had given an interview about her side of the ordeal recently, or that Infiltration has spent the better part of the past year gaslighting people over the facts of the situation

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

I don’t think any player should be banned from an open tournament such as evo for stuff they did outside of the event or its players, especially if the legal system already dealt with it (even if it felt like a light slap on the wrist).

This includes Infiltration, who is a piece of poo poo and I would never invite to an invitational or hire onto my team and sure as hell wouldn’t excitedly tweet about his triumphant return.

hot take but you're a piece of poo poo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gutcruncher posted:

I dont think any player should be banned from an open tournament such as evo for stuff they did outside of the event or its players, especially if the legal system already dealt with it (even if it felt like a light slap on the wrist).

This includes Infiltration, who is a piece of poo poo and I would never invite to an invitational or hire onto my team and sure as hell wouldnt excitedly tweet about his triumphant return.

I think there's a middle point between a permaban and some sort of collective sanction/suspension so a dude doesn't get to play at your tournament the same year he caught a DV rap. It's not like it an unprecedented thing, Gllty ate a "until further notice" ban after her sexual harrassment came out, not only from the tournament where it happened but also from almost every other major.

We all know why they wouldn't go that far with Infiltration, but other than a self-inflicted CPT suspension the community let him get away scot-free.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I took some time off from Tekken to try to wrap my head around street fighter 5, and oh boy that game makes me salty. Tekken for me has satisfying feedback loop. I understand when I lose to something like 90% of the time and can adapt. SFV lacks that for me. I think I just like a game where I can play a bit more reactively? I'll probably look to pick up another fighter for my backup game, maybe BBTAG or dive back in to SC6.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I aaaaalmost got BBTAG during the Evo sale but it was still a little too much for something I won't play nearly as much as Tekken and I already have KoF 13 for that. I AM however pumped for Granblue and still have no idea why.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dreqqus posted:

I took some time off from Tekken to try to wrap my head around street fighter 5, and oh boy that game makes me salty. Tekken for me has satisfying feedback loop. I understand when I lose to something like 90% of the time and can adapt. SFV lacks that for me. I think I just like a game where I can play a bit more reactively? I'll probably look to pick up another fighter for my backup game, maybe BBTAG or dive back in to SC6.

Tekken is hard as gently caress but I do find that all the moves being 10f or slower make it a lot easier to parse than 2D games. Easier to see what's going on in the moment.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Yeah I think that's ultimately what it is. I also think the best of 5 format helps and endless rematches. I can 'see' Tekken in a way I struggle to see SFV. And you know, mad cause bad or whatever, but I enjoy playing Tekken, win or lose. SFV I enjoy winning kind of, but between the short matches and best of 3 I never really feel like I'm learning anything, and losing in that game loving sucks.

What's another good fighter out right now? I've got DBFZ, Xrd, and SC6.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Dreqqus posted:

Yeah I think that's ultimately what it is. I also think the best of 5 format helps and endless rematches. I can 'see' Tekken in a way I struggle to see SFV. And you know, mad cause bad or whatever, but I enjoy playing Tekken, win or lose. SFV I enjoy winning kind of, but between the short matches and best of 3 I never really feel like I'm learning anything, and losing in that game loving sucks.

What's another good fighter out right now? I've got DBFZ, Xrd, and SC6.

Uni and Samsho might be worth checking out

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Oh I've got unist but uh frequently forget that I do. I'll check that out some more.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dreqqus posted:

Oh I've got unist but uh frequently forget that I do. I'll check that out some more.

Also keep in mind a new version is coming in less than a month. It’ll be a free update (with buyable new character) so getting the hang of it now is a good idea. Get a leg up on the people picking up the new one for the first time.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

MechaX posted:

The more I watch of GranBlue Fantasy Versus (or alternatively, watch Spooky get his rear end kicked in an anime fighter), the more... I actually kind of dig it? Yeah, the art has a big reason to do with it, but I don’t know poo poo about the franchise but it seems.. kinda appealing in an old anime school fantasy/Record of Lodoss war kind of thing.

please don't spend money on anything related to gacha games, they are a cancer consuming the entire japanese industry

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

dragon enthusiast posted:

If you haven't read King Hippo's writeup of the whole shebang yet I would recommend doing so:
https://themsfightingwordsblog.com/2019/12/14/infiltration-will-compete-again-in-2020-he-shouldnt-heres-why/

I wasn't aware his ex-wife had given an interview about her side of the ordeal recently, or that Infiltration has spent the better part of the past year gaslighting people over the facts of the situation

"After she provoked me with the dishwasher purchase" may be the worst defense I've ever heard in my life. What a piece of poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh cool. Thanks. I love having sources to the facts being discussed.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Holy poo poo, I had heard that the stuff he said to his wife was hosed up, but...yeah, that is hosed up.

I only saw Panda Global's writeup of the situation, which did seem to try to downplay stuff as much as possible, in light of the other stuff this writeup explores.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 28, 2020

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Don't get me wrong, he should be in jail. Motherfucker did one of the worst things anyone can do. I am not happy to see him appear at Evo and I would never defend Infiltration as a person.

What I dont agree with is the idea that events that are supposed to be open to anyone should ban individuals for their actions outside of the events themselves. I can agree with banning from from tournaments for actions at other events in extreme circumstances.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Nah, ban him

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:hmmyes:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Don't get me wrong, he should be in jail. Motherfucker did one of the worst things anyone can do. I am not happy to see him appear at Evo and I would never defend Infiltration as a person.

What I dont agree with is the idea that events that are supposed to be open to anyone should ban individuals for their actions outside of the events themselves. I can agree with banning from from tournaments for actions at other events in extreme circumstances.

You make his actions intertwined with the event by allowing him to enter in the first place

Like the reason we're even talking about this right now in the first place is because he was allowed to enter EVO Japan

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you let the person who famously assaulted his wife into your event, especially an event where he will no doubt be very visible and discussed, you're effectively sending a message to others that your event is indifferent to those things. And when your event is considered THE event for a hobby, you're telling people that your community is chill with those things and that's a bad look for what I hope are obvious reasons

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As it turns out, the community largely is chill with that, because he can press buttons good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chumbler posted:

As it turns out, the community largely is chill with that, because he can press buttons good.

If you're good at doing a thing, people will excuse you for doing bad things.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

chumbler posted:

EVO's not a democracy, it's not like you need to poll the community to do the right thing or not and start making progress against this kind of mindset. Most sports fan communities are lovely and terrible, that doesn't mean a professional org like the NFL or NBA are justified in whitewashing abusers too.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Gutcruncher posted:

no

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
your take isn't hot it's just stupid

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don’t even know why you’d Kramer into a thread and say Infiltration should be in jail but also he should compete. Like why.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t even know why you’d Kramer into a thread and say Infiltration should be in jail but also he should compete. Like why.

Let the free market decide

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Make him compete, but from jail. While he plays, he's wearing one of those Aura Activator vests, the one that's basically a subwoofer strapped to your chest to simulate stuff like punches hitting you, turn it up to "painful" levels, and force him to play MK11 against Sonic Fox.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

If you let the person who famously assaulted his wife into your event, especially an event where he will no doubt be very visible and discussed, you're effectively sending a message to others that your event is indifferent to those things. And when your event is considered THE event for a hobby, you're telling people that your community is chill with those things and that's a bad look for what I hope are obvious reasons

They are

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pomp posted:

They are

Yeah it's pretty disheartening that this thread is like the only FGC related part of the Internet I've ever seen that cares about how much of a piece of poo poo he is. Most places either don't know or believe that he was the victim of a smear campaign or some poo poo. It's hosed up

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

In Training posted:

Yeah it's pretty disheartening that this thread is like the only FGC related part of the Internet I've ever seen that cares about how much of a piece of poo poo he is. Most places either don't know or believe that he was the victim of a smear campaign or some poo poo. It's hosed up

There’s also some areas that simultaneously try to condemn such behavior, but try to find certain “degrees” of goddamn domestic violence acceptable enough to rationalize him being able to come back and press buttons good

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MechaX posted:

SFV should just show a beat up portait of your character with black eyes, missing teeth, multiple bruises and hematomas and then tell you to go home and be a family man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Look I'm not saying hes not a piece of poo poo and that he didn't beat his wife I'm just saying do we really want to ban someone from our video game community just for beating their wife? I mean I personally wouldnt invite him to an invitational but he should still be welcomed to any open tournament for beating his wife. I mean what would we do without him? I just think its be going too far to not want the community to back and accept him after he beat his wife. We should be able to look beyond him beating his wife and be open to him being part of our scene. After all it's not like he leaked a DLC character no he just abused his wife repeatedly and it's not like that affects his ability to play the video game. Now if you excuse me my brain needs to be reinflated because all the helium is leaking out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
To be less obtuse infiltration should have been life time banned from everything and gutcruncher is a piece of poo poo enabler

If you can ignore the fact that someone repeatedly abused their spouse just because they can play a lovely video game well you're a monster. Hemming and hawing with poo poo like "Look I hate him.....but I dont think we should not collaborate with him" is just incredibly loving awful.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 28, 2020

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

HerniaFlange posted:

Make him compete, but from jail. While he plays, he's wearing one of those Aura Activator vests, the one that's basically a subwoofer strapped to your chest to simulate stuff like punches hitting you, turn it up to "painful" levels, and force him to play MK11 against Sonic Fox.

Nah, make him play DBZ fighters against Sonic Fox, longer combos.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

bet letting the wife beater participate in events makes women feel super safe lol

gently caress him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Madmarker posted:

Nah, make him play DBZ fighters against Sonic Fox, longer combos.

:hmmyes: