Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zesty posted:

So I cleaned that up a bit and put it on the Red Dead Wiki and the administrator deleted it, calling it "irrelevant" and "nonsense." :downs:

Jesus Christ.

You wrote the clearest guide I have ever seen to clothing warmth. Thank you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And this is a cold-weather outfit:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Zesty posted:

So I cleaned that up a bit and put it on the Red Dead Wiki and the administrator deleted it, calling it "irrelevant" and "nonsense." :downs:

Tell him to turn on his monitor

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Zesty posted:

Useful clothing info

This should go in the OP. Thanks for the effort!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I appreciate that people find it useful. Thank you.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I'm not sure which bounty hunter missions y'all are doing but I'm starting to consistently get ~$96 per legendary bounty and ~$20 per regular one that I can do in 5 minutes.

I'm a level 10 bounty hunter. I'm sure the other professions can make more but I'm making plenty and having a ton of fun doing bounties with my friends.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah I don't care about the money at all, and I don't understand the mindset of someone who does. There's simply nothing particularly interesting to spend money on.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I, too, can't be bothered to change clothes and I kinda prefer the frontier hobo look.

Do you guys have opinions on horses and saddles? I think I'm gonna wait another dozen levels or so for the higher tier horses, but I'm eyeballing the Nacogdoches saddle and can't look away. Seems like stamina drain is the only really important trait and hugs one of the only with it. The role based ones seem cool (except the bounty one that looks poopy imo) and have better stats, but not that one.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

ILL Machina posted:

I, too, can't be bothered to change clothes and I kinda prefer the frontier hobo look.

Do you guys have opinions on horses and saddles? I think I'm gonna wait another dozen levels or so for the higher tier horses, but I'm eyeballing the Nacogdoches saddle and can't look away. Seems like stamina drain is the only really important trait and hugs one of the only with it. The role based ones seem cool (except the bounty one that looks poopy imo) and have better stats, but not that one.

I like the horses you get at level 20 for bounty hunter and trader, and the trader saddle is really nice too.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Nacogdoches + missouri fox trotter

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Oberst posted:

Hell yeah, s'just what I did today since I finally unlocked the Missouri Fox Trotter.

Also quite enjoying the collector saddle on my collector level 20 Criollo.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
nacogdoches plus some even half way decent stirrups basically makes stamina a non-issue, highly recommended

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Oberst posted:

When playing the single player,i was still in chapter 2 and i met this NPC who asks you a ride cuz her horse died. Turns out there was a bug and the horse was still alive so I took it and left.

Turns out that Horse is a Missouri Fox Trotter. Been riding that free horse ever since.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I'm still rolling with my white entry-level Kladgruber, but might drop some dosh on a top-tier Criollo or something - the free black Klad is parked in the stables as "Cheval Noir", but I think whatever I get next is going to be "Sylvester Stallion".

Think I'm running Nagadoches, whatever the top-end stirrups are and the improved Collector saddlebags because the others ranged from fugly to :barf:.

Too bad there's no single-glove options, so I could show off my swate skull ring (that goes with my skull pants, skull boots, skull buckle and skull holster).

Oh poo poo, I just outed myself as PimpDrakula...

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

it seemed to me that it was pretty easy early on to look dapper, but harder to put together a proper cowpoke outfit. there's some good, low-key stuff that unlocks at high levels, at least for female characters

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Is there a good way to kill chipmunks? I need a perfect carcass to mail in, but despite using a bow with small game arrows (I've triple checked to make sure its the small game ones), it just seems to keep... exploding the carcasses. I kill them in deadeye, get the honor popup for a good kill or whatever, but when I get over to where the carcass should be, it's just the arrow and some blood.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElTacoGato posted:

Is there a good way to kill chipmunks? I need a perfect carcass to mail in, but despite using a bow with small game arrows (I've triple checked to make sure its the small game ones), it just seems to keep... exploding the carcasses. I kill them in deadeye, get the honor popup for a good kill or whatever, but when I get over to where the carcass should be, it's just the arrow and some blood.

Huh. Not sure what's happening but I have managed to do it with small game arrows and making sure that I'm targeting the head as best I can.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ElTacoGato posted:

that's really odd. i generally try to get squirrels and chipmunks whenever i hear them chirping so i have a bunch of them in my bag for those "donate 20 carcasses in 10 minutes" days and have never had anything like that happen.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

ElTacoGato posted:

Is this single player? Getting the legendary buck trinket makes doing anything hunting-wise a lot easier.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zesty posted:

What a fuckwit. That is legitimately a very, very good guide clarifying an obtuse in-game system which doesn't explain any of that outside of "hurr some clothing is warmer than others."

Freudian slippers posted:

This should go in the OP. Thanks for the effort!

^^^ this.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ElTacoGato posted:

I've always used the varmint rifle. Small game arrows feel like too much of a hassle to use, and the varmint rifle doesn't lower the carcass rating on squirrels and chipmunks from what I've seen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hexenritter posted:

What a fuckwit. That is legitimately a very, very good guide clarifying an obtuse in-game system which doesn't explain any of that outside of "hurr some clothing is warmer than others."

^^^ this.

I hid it in the "weather in redemption 2" page.

I was wondering why that wiki is devoid of useful information. It doesn't have a list of ability cards, for example. Now I know. I might shop around for a decent wiki.

ElTacoGato posted:

I believe small game arrows and aim for the head. As someone else mentioned, go get the Legendary Buck trinket. I believe the Legendary Buck is the one west of Strawberry around the Cougar spawn point. Across the street from the Trapper.

If you're really into getting 100% and seeing all the content, it's totally worth getting all the Legendary Animal trinkets early on. I did it in Chapter 3.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 29, 2020

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks, everyone!

I'm in mid chapter 3 and already have all the legendary animal trinkets I can get currently, including the Buck. I'll try focusing on getting better headshots and see if that helps (I was going back and forth between free aiming and painting the target to let Arthur just shoot whatever got targeted), and will haul out the varmint rifle as well. Fingers crossed for non-exploded carcasses!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Varmint rifle is the best purchase. Bows have too limited a supply of arrows even if you can reclaim the hits. I can never get birds that are high in the sky with arrows either.

Just remember to unequip your Varmint before going on missions where you might not have horse access. Having a bow on missions is less of a bother but trying to fend of the Rockstar horde of zombies bandits with a varmint rifle is a pain in the rear end.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Paint target on the head for sure, yeah.

Varmint rifle is better for birds in the sky if you need that perfect carcass. Otherwise, a bolt rifle is the most accurate and a longer distance for auto-aim and a lancaster repeater is faster shooting and more accurate than a varmint.

I never have trouble keeping my arrow supplies in check. You can craft new arrows anywhere. Speaking of which, get the best satchel so you can carry more of everything as early as you possibly can. All the upgrades before the final one merely double what you can carry, but the final upgrade allows you to stack almost everything to 99.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
love to accidentally paint multiple targets in dead eye and rapidly unload 18 rounds into a deers face at 300 yards

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Is there a way in online to use dead eye in a way that it doesn't automatically mark targets?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dalael posted:

Is there a way in online to use dead eye in a way that it doesn't automatically mark targets?

Pretty sure marking in online is purely based on one of the ability cards. (Paint it Black, I think it's called).

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Hey, turns out getting frustrated and posting on the Internet does indeed help; used the varmint rifle and got a perfect chipmunk on the second try, and no exploded carcasses. Maybe the game was just pitching a weird fit yesterday. Or these particular chipmunks hadn't been eating whatever the hell the other ones had. Or Arthur is just too stronk with the bow.

PaybackJack posted:

Just remember to unequip your Varmint before going on missions where you might not have horse access. Having a bow on missions is less of a bother but trying to fend of the Rockstar horde of zombies bandits with a varmint rifle is a pain in the rear end.

Learned that lesson the hard way a couple days ago. :downs:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yeah, PIB adds target marking, and at a ridiculously high rate, too. If you get a multiple-mark on something you really don't want to swiss-cheese, pop back out of Deadeye and try again - as long as you don't actually start shooting, you can reset the process. You can also go twitchy and try to get only one mark, and move your reticle back off the target, or get a mark and *immediately* fire.

I have had some success in dropping out of Deadeye after the first shot, and having it cancel the rest, but sometimes it just keeping poppin' - YMMV.

Squirrels, chipmunks, rats, toads, frogs and crabs - all the "pocketable" critters - I've killed with everything short of explosive or incendiary ammo, and never lost a carcass. Bust a sparrow with the Rolling Block and Express ammo? Go pick up the (poor quality) carcass. In fact, if I don't have the Varmint .22 equipped, I usually go to my Lowry's Gun unique Navy.

Exploded bitty critters were a part of RDR1, I understand, via the Buffalo Rifle. Otherwise, check the radar or actual map for a corpse-marker, and Eagle-Eye to spot - I have to do this for nuisance small birbs that fall into brush.

Birding with the bow really requires you either catch 'em on the ground, or Deadeye-mark and fire *fast* just as they take off. Haven't tried slow-rear end condors or vultures with the bow, and I don't have tracking arrows yet (Online).

Ran into the stuttering/twitching movement issue last night, and tried calling my hunting wagon - once my horse took off and despawned, everything went back to normal.

Animals have been spawning like crazy the past few days - last night camp was down along the cliffs south of Macfarlane Ranch, and I was halfway through the "kill 20 animals" daily just busting deer and antelope not even 100 yards out of camp, in the first fifteen minutes. Also had some other player making a delivery to the little waterfront shack, and I was popping his enemies from the cliff with the Rolling Block, all Quigley. :clint: + :getin:

Got autocompleted supply runs for the daily, too.

Had to murder a random NPC. Motherfucker called me a heifer, if he hadn't been on a horse I'd've shot him in the dick. :torgue: "NOTHING IS MORE BADASS THAN TREATING A WOMAN WITH RESPECT!" :torgue:

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I forgot to check to confirm before moving on between missions, but the single player Evans unlocks after either the moonshine raid with Dutch and the Deputy in Rhodes or Lenny's raid on Shady Belle if anyone is curious.

Still uncertain about the Lemat or the m1899. Have read conflicting stuff on the like 5 different terrible RDR wikis.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

never noticed that when my horse stops after sprinting for a long distance in cold weather, it steams :shobon:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

I forgot to check to confirm before moving on between missions, but the single player Evans unlocks after either the moonshine raid with Dutch and the Deputy in Rhodes or Lenny's raid on Shady Belle if anyone is curious.

Still uncertain about the Lemat or the m1899. Have read conflicting stuff on the like 5 different terrible RDR wikis.

The second spoiler unlocks the Bolt-Action Rifle. Which you can get from one enemy during Sean's rescue. The Schofield and Lancaster can be had by way of side jobs in Valentine and Rhodes, while the semiauto shotgun is in a gunrunner's place up north (not in the Snow Zone, however). The obnoxious mobster threw a Broomhandle Mauser at me during the final mission in that questline, but while I could customise it, I'm still not able to buy a second as of Chapter Six, with the big Annesberg fight still to come. (Luckily, I have the pimp gold one from the gunfighter as my offhand one.)

You might also be able to get the Lancaster off one of the gunfighters, but I suspect that mission fails if they're killed.

You can have a collection of level-locked toys fairly early - I had the Lancaster before the Evans unlocked, and went back to it for speed.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
just picking some herbs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlAzKFI1gs

oh, guess it's going to be like that then.

Ygolonac posted:

Had to murder a random NPC. Motherfucker called me a heifer, if he hadn't been on a horse I'd've shot him in the dick. :torgue: "NOTHING IS MORE BADASS THAN TREATING A WOMAN WITH RESPECT!" :torgue:

NPC's are all ungrateful and rude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9s-Z0LWqbA

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Ygolonac posted:

The second spoiler unlocks the Bolt-Action Rifle.

Yeah, that's just the most recent mission I did before remembering to check if the Evans unlocked.

In fact, it might have been during the same trip to the gunsmith to upgrade the rifle that I checked.

And thanks for the heads up on the early unlock on the bolt action. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I restart. It always kinda sucked that your stuck with just the Springfield for early game hunting.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 30, 2020

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zesty posted:

I hid it in the "weather in redemption 2" page.

I was wondering why that wiki is devoid of useful information. It doesn't have a list of ability cards, for example. Now I know. I might shop around for a decent wiki.

I believe small game arrows and aim for the head. As someone else mentioned, go get the Legendary Buck trinket. I believe the Legendary Buck is the one west of Strawberry around the Cougar spawn point. Across the street from the Trapper.

If you're really into getting 100% and seeing all the content, it's totally worth getting all the Legendary Animal trinkets early on. I did it in Chapter 3.

I think this is one of the games where the wiki is absolutely useless because of dweebs like that. I usually use a combination of reddit and google to find useful poo poo. Pretty sure I've seen a similar clothing warmth guide on a reddit post.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I made a steam guide for it as well. Easy to find with even basic search terms.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

When your horse dont want a duck

https://i.imgur.com/9dwJGdX.mp4

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 30, 2020

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
After getting enough error disconnects I finally tried using my phone's mobile hotspot as my PS4's internet connection and low and behold it worked. No more disconnects over 4 days. I pretend to be hopeful that Rockstar will address the disconnect issue on their end rather than forcing players to figure out workarounds. For now I'll just be happy I can actually do bounty missions and story missions without getting disconnected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hihohe posted:

When your horse dont want a duck

https://i.imgur.com/9dwJGdX.mp4

Some say that horse is still refusing that duck to this day