Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

All Systems Red (Murderbot! book 1) by Martha Wells - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYZ8X5C/
Finally cheap enough I can justify buying it.

The Consuming Fire (Interdependency book 2) by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X255Y1/
Contentious series with some liking it and some really hating it. Haven't started it myself.

Sale on Becky Chambers' books,

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet - $7.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZP64F28?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_0&storeType=ebooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Age of Myth by Michael J Sullivan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015BCX0S0/

Can anyone give an opinion on this one? I've heard some good things about his self-published Riyria books, but I don't know anything about this series.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

pradmer posted:

Can anyone give an opinion on this one? I've heard some good things about his self-published Riyria books, but I don't know anything about this series.

Read the Riyria books first. His first books have some great set pieces and fun mysteries. If you like Sullivan as an author, you’ll enjoy the new series, but it does not stand alone well.

It also has one of the most annoying tropes in fantasy series. The series is set in a pre-technological era, and an unusually intelligent character manages to invent a dozen innovations that are ahead of their time. Or invents things that it’s utterly implausible to have not been invented yet. A character invents the wheel, bow and arrow, pocket, and bunch of other stupid poo poo.

The series is entertaining, and I’ve grown to really like some of the characters, but I can’t pretend for a second that it’s particularly well-written. It might be the most predictable fantasy series I’ve ever read.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pradmer posted:

I never read riyria so I'll disagree with the poster above - you can read the new books without knowing the older ones.

HOWEVER, I strongly agree on the "smart character invents the wheel" is hackish.

I've enjoyed the books and I chipped in for the last kickstarter. Kinda nice supporting an indie(ish?) author. I think he replies to all emails.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Thanks for the replies. For $2 I'll go for it. Maybe Riyria will be on sale before I get around to starting this one anyway.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s crazy to me that Gibson is in his seventies

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
As a contrast I'll say that I couldn't read more than a few chapters of the first Riyria book. It suffered way too much from "bad medieval pastiche" syndrome, much like the Greatcoats series.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Is Greatcoats any good? I had someone passionately trying to convince me that once I read it I'd realise my previous love for Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell was all wrong and I'd see that I should be loving Greatcoats instead. He also tried to explain that Strange & Norrell is bad because it doesn't have a well defined magic system.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cptn_dr posted:

Is Greatcoats any good? I had someone passionately trying to convince me that once I read it I'd realise my previous love for Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell was all wrong and I'd see that I should be loving Greatcoats instead. He also tried to explain that Strange & Norrell is bad because it doesn't have a well defined magic system.

I don't *regret* reading Greatcoats but I ain't gonna read it twice. From what I recall it started out as basically a . . . fine . . .Three Musketeers re-skin and then kinda goes off the rails in the later books because it obviously wasn't conceived as a series of that length.

JS&N was one of the best books of it's decade though

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I read the first.. two? I think? Of that series, and then it sort of dropped out of my consciousness.
It's fine, but there's certainly better things you could spend the time on.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

The first book was like early Sanderson writing flintlock fantasy. I dropped it, but I have a friend who loves it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

The first book was like early Sanderson writing flintlock fantasy. I dropped it, but I have a friend who loves it.
I'd say this is a bit of disservice to Greatcoats - the author knows how to pace the story, making it a pretty entertaining romp if nothing special. It's nowhere near as bad as your average Sanderson.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 28, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Is it any good, though?
I mean, potsherds aside.

It's devastatingly alright. He tries to do the Malazan style clusterfuck convergence of plots, but the first book is almost entirely people walking to get there, and the actual convergence is like half a chapter. The second book does have a spectacular clashing together of a load of different schemes about halfway through. Nobody knows fully what is going on, everybody is reacting to poorly understood events whilst trying to figure out who they're even fighting. But then he keeps it at that level for the final half of the book, and its exhausting.

I'd say it's slightly better than ICE, but not a patch on SE.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't *regret* reading Greatcoats but I ain't gonna read it twice. From what I recall it started out as basically a . . . fine . . .Three Musketeers re-skin and then kinda goes off the rails in the later books because it obviously wasn't conceived as a series of that length.

JS&N was one of the best books of it's decade though

Didn’t the first book go off the rails in the end when an allied army suddenly appeared out of nothing. At that point I kind lost interest.

Also finished the Grim Company series and one can easily say the name was apt. A decent read.

Bone silence, the latest Reynolds is also out.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Greatcoats is fun. There are some enormous gaping holes in it and Ethalia is loving terrible.

It's not a great book but it's a fun book.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

anilEhilated posted:

I'd say this is a bit of disservice to Greatcoats - the author knows how to pace the story, making it a pretty entertaining romp if nothing special. It's nowhere near as bad as your average Sanderson.

GrandmaParty posted:

Greatcoats is fun. There are some enormous gaping holes in it and Ethalia is loving terrible.

It's not a great book but it's a fun book.

These are similar to my feelings on it, I found it entertaining and entertaining enough to read them all. It's been long enough that I can't remember anything specific other than I enjoyed it.

Edit: Also Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel is amazing and I love it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I just finished Unnatural Magic by C.M. Waggoner.

And boy howdy, it was bad.

Here's the deal:

There are two races, humans and trolls. Humans are humans in a pseudo-victorian era, trolls are great rich wizards who have two roles that aren't defined by gender and also resemble really muscular blue people and their sexual organs are their dimorphism. Otherwise they've got male torsos.

There are two main characters: a female wizard-to-be and a nobleman. The wizard-to-be gets to be apprentice wizard to the greatest wizard in the world and the nobleman falls in love with a troll and they fall in love.

The author tries to shoehorn in a murder mystery that she doesn't have the skills to write.

Save yourself the money.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I really liked greatcoats :ohdear:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

I just finished Unnatural Magic by C.M. Waggoner.

And boy howdy, it was bad.

Here's the deal:

There are two races, humans and trolls. Humans are humans in a pseudo-victorian era, trolls are great rich wizards who have two roles that aren't defined by gender and also resemble really muscular blue people and their sexual organs are their dimorphism. Otherwise they've got male torsos.

There are two main characters: a female wizard-to-be and a nobleman. The wizard-to-be gets to be apprentice wizard to the greatest wizard in the world and the nobleman falls in love with a troll and they fall in love.

The author tries to shoehorn in a murder mystery that she doesn't have the skills to write.

Save yourself the money.

It felt like it she started writing three different novels, didn't finish any of them, half-assedly crammed them together into a single work, and then tacked on a happily-ever-after chapter at the end to wrap up all the loose ends.

It didn't deliver on any of of the individual stories' potential, the murderer was obvious from the moment he was introduced, and none of the conflict felt real.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Prosper's Demon by KJ Parker arrived in the mail! It's a slim little volume, one of the smallest novellas I've picked up yet - starts on page 11, ends on 101.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StrixNebulosa posted:

Prosper's Demon by KJ Parker arrived in the mail! It's a slim little volume, one of the smallest novellas I've picked up yet - starts on page 11, ends on 101.

Yeah, for all the hate Murderbot gets around here for being short, Murderbot (All Systems Red) is 50% longer than Prosper's Demon.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

cptn_dr posted:

Is your friend by any chance fond of having stats for fictional characters regardless of whether they come from an RPG property?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ulmont posted:

Yeah, for all the hate Murderbot gets around here for being short, Murderbot (All Systems Red) is 50% longer than Prosper's Demon.

12 US dollars for something I'm going to read in like an hour or less.... I'm having flashbacks to when I bought Inuyasha volumes new. Those went by just as quickly and were priced about the same.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Like I said it's a bad medieval pastiche. Dialogue was mainly Whedonesque quipping as I remember it. I dropped it shortly after the opening act, where the protagonist's wife is raped to death like 3 pages after she's introduced to provide motivation. To make sure I wasn't misremembering this and unfairly accusing the author, I looked up some reviews and aside from that apparently later there's also a magic sex nun (hello Rothfuss) who rapes the protagonist to heal him and then becomes the love interest.

Probably just go read The Three Musketeers or watch a Errol Flynn movie instead I guess?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

First three books from the Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer - $0.99 each
Off to Be the Wizard - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF8Z32I/
Spell or High Water - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVF7OJM/
An Unwelcome Quest - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MRADM1K/

Looks like lighthearted humor fantasy. Usually I'd assume they're probably terrible, but other mentions on SA are surprisingly positive.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pradmer posted:

Looks like lighthearted humor fantasy. Usually I'd assume they're probably terrible, but other mentions on SA are surprisingly positive.

I read some of it and if you read its premise and think "hmm, this would make a fun rationalfic" you'll be very frustrated. The hero is given great power and is a dumbass with zero imagination with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

C.M. Kruger posted:

Probably just go read The Three Musketeers or watch a Errol Flynn movie instead I guess?

Curse of Capistrano is in the public domain so a free download

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

pradmer posted:

Not necessarily well written, but a light fun read anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm hoping to be done with my short overview for myself of the 2019 Analog stories etc, just in time to vote for the AnLabs on Friday. Then I will see if I can give you a rundown of notable works this year. There were so many short stories.... so many.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To the goon looking for horror/sci-fi novels, B&N put up a short list of scary sci-fi novels.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

StrixNebulosa posted:

To the goon looking for horror/sci-fi novels, B&N put up a short list of scary sci-fi novels.

Six Wakes looks interesting, has anyone read that one?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Very good locked ship murder mystery that goes beyond that initial premise in the resolution - worth your time to read.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I thought the initial premise was great but wasn't a huge fan of how it all wraps up.

In other news, Yoon Ha Lee has a new book coming out! Phoenix Extravagant which is set in a fantasy version of Korea during the Japanese occupation.

quote:

Gyen Jebi isn’t a fighter or a subversive. Just an artist. One day they’re jobless and desperate; the next, Jebi finds themself recruited by the Ministry of Armor to paint the mystical sigils that animate the occupying government’s automaton soldiers. But when Jebi discovers the depths of the Razanei government’s horrifying crimes—and the awful source of the magical pigments they use—they find they can no longer stay out of politics. What they can do is steal Arazi, the ministry’s mighty dragon automaton, and find a way to fight.

Out in June in the US and UK. I'm a big fan of Lee and loved the whole Machineries of Empire series.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Six Wakes was pretty good and worth checking out. If you're unfamiliar with Mur Lafferty's writing style/hesitant about blind-buying, track down a library copy of it if possible.

Also, if people were disappointed in William Gibson's latest book Agency, and wanted something more like Gibson's first two book series (Sprawl + Bridge trilogies), check out Zachary Mason's Void Star. Void Star is very early-stage William Gibson-ish, even down to the 3 main characters being Gibson's stock character archetypes (the Hacker, the Protector-Badass, the Lead Character That Needs Protecting), with rogue Artificial Intelligences and taking place mostly in the San-Francisco bay area.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Sebastien de Castell also wrote a fun YA series about an outlaw kid and his talking ferret thing. It was indie published, after greatcoats.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I really loved both greatcoats and the spellslinger series. It's not art, but he does a great job of pacing stories, and they're fun to read. He's also really responsive to talking to fans about stuff, and I appreciate that from authors.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Tor.com released a short story collection for free in eBook format on all major platforms
https://www.tor.com/2020/01/29/some-of-the-best-from-tor-com-2019-is-out-now/

In the comments of the article, there are also links to Google Play and Kobo store.

All stories have previously been published on the Tor.com web site.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol never follow authors you like on twitter

https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1178063798743244800?s=20

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol who does she support then, Elizabeth "capitalist to my bones" Warren?

at least she doesn't have a terminal case of liberal centrist boomerism like William Gibson and Jeff Vandermeer seem to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

my bony fealty posted:

at least she doesn't have a terminal case of liberal centrist boomerism like William Gibson and Jeff Vandermeer seem to

Gibson usually seems like he's making fun of or outright critiquing liberal centrist boomerism to me.