Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Has anyone run the numbers on what's needed for a societal breakdown if more people are off sick then there are to run basic infra?

Comedy answer and serious answer both needed thx

e: :lrpage2:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

One in bavaria, it was good posting.

Or Ill just activate my plan of staying in my apartment for the next few weeks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jamsta posted:

Has anyone run the numbers on what's needed for a societal breakdown if more people are off sick then there are to run basic infra?

That's an interesting question, and I don't know the exact answer.

I work for a school system and we've already got teachers out sick and not enough substitutes. We shut down because of the flu last year for a couple of days.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Does anyone have the numbers, or know where to find them, to compare this to the flu?

Percentage mortality, percentage of hospitalizations, percentage of needing a ventilator in the ICU

edit: i know it might be kind of a big ask so if anyone could point me in the right direction at least, google is giving inconsistent results

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

mitztronic posted:

Speaking generally NyQuil and other “symptom treaters” increase the amount of time you are sick. This is because millions of years of evolution created our immune system to be actually quite amazing, and entirely self sufficient in most cases. By adding in modern creations that reduce symptoms, you are interfering with your bodies’ ability to fight off whatever the infection is.

This is especially true for fever reducing drugs like Tylenol. You should only use those to drop you fever if it’s at a severe and dangerous level, otherwise you’re just giving the virus a safer place to live and it will last longer.

citation needed. there is no good evidence that this is actually the case, to my knowledge.

they won't make you get better any quicker but might alleviate symptoms.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

-cant tell if hung over or sick

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

oxford_town posted:

citation needed. there is no good evidence that this is actually the case, to my knowledge.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is the bar lowered to the point where “not actively loving with it” is now considered “is good at something”?

I am way late, but letting the CDC jump straight into quarantines and removing politics from their operations is 'good at it'. Xi did the opposite of this. Reagan did the opposite during AIDS.

Expanding airport screenings, made easier to implement by the greatly expanded cbp/tsa. Allowing government funding med research to switch to wuhan virus, and more importantly expanding the Obama era profit restriction easements on pharma's which has encouraged nearly all of them to go full steam at a wuhan vaccine because :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Outside the context of Wuhan it's a buncha politics. But limiting the lens to US response to Wuhan, it's at least above average if not the best we've ever been prepared.

But yes, the bar is low af and hopefully we all survive to make improvements.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mitztronic posted:

Speaking generally NyQuil and other “symptom treaters” increase the amount of time you are sick. This is because millions of years of evolution created our immune system to be actually quite amazing, and entirely self sufficient in most cases. By adding in modern creations that reduce symptoms, you are interfering with your bodies’ ability to fight off whatever the infection is.

This is especially true for fever reducing drugs like Tylenol. You should only use those to drop you fever if it’s at a severe and dangerous level, otherwise you’re just giving the virus a safer place to live and it will last longer.

That sounds like it could be true, but I don't know.

I do know that nyquil is a life saver and a good nights sleep is worth it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I suggest taking a shot of vodka, instead.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mitztronic posted:

viruses don't live :owned:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2013.2570

it's not a pronounced effect, but it's something to keep in mind. nowadays if I've got sick days or time off, I just take it and suffer and tend to get over colds faster. if I have to work, I take medicine and stay sick longer, though that could just as well be from working while sick because lmao america

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
GBS hates wuhan

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

oxford_town posted:

Animal models (because doing this sort of stuff with humans is profoundly unethical), but here you go: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951171/

Literally more likely to die if you try to suppress the fever instead of just letting it do its work.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Mozi posted:

imagine how much fun it is to be one of the people sitting there for hours or even days, in a small mask as people in full protection shuffle around and dead bodies start to accumulate

so basically every time i've been in an emergency room

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Minrad posted:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2013.2570

it's not a pronounced effect, but it's something to keep in mind. nowadays if I've got sick days or time off, I just take it and suffer and tend to get over colds faster. if I have to work, I take medicine and stay sick longer, though that could just as well be from working while sick because lmao america

Attention: Cold and Flu Medication
To: All Staff
CC: CEO, CFO, BOD

Attention all staff:

It is now against company policy to take cold and flu medication while on paid sick leave.

You must have a doctor's prescription for any medication taken during paid sick leave.

Friendly reminder about our 'Tell us and help us!' initiative. If you notify HR regarding any employees violating policy you could win a $10 Arby's gift card!

Thank you for your cooperation! Great work guys.

HR

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you absolutely have to come in to work while sick, make sure you infect as many coworkers, clients and especially managers. Your green grandfather in the sky loves you.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Really annoying we have to wait on the CCP to give us the occasional running total.

Gimme a real time tracker.

Pretty ghoulish imo

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Spinz posted:

GBS hates wuhan

I'm not even gonna deny this

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Bullfrog posted:

Does anyone have the numbers, or know where to find them, to compare this to the flu?

Percentage mortality, percentage of hospitalizations, percentage of needing a ventilator in the ICU

edit: i know it might be kind of a big ask so if anyone could point me in the right direction at least, google is giving inconsistent results

I don't have the exact numbers but roughly:

-around twice as deadly than the flu
-drastically higher rate of hospitalization
-drastically higher ICU rate

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jamsta posted:

Generally markets and companies perform very well following an outbreak of a new disease. Yesterday's drop was almost completely erased today (yesterday high volume of people sold, today the big players put in money), but honestly it would probably take only a couple thousand US deaths to wreak absolute havoc. Markets are still very inflated, it might not even take that thousands to cause a big rear end recession.

The recession + wuhan fear/deaths would be enough for martial law which is essentially the end of society as we know it. poo poo is really way too fragile.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you absolutely have to come in to work while sick, make sure you infect as many coworkers, clients and especially managers. Your green grandfather in the sky loves you.

Absolutely, show no mercy

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Looking forward to dying

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
looks like 850 new cases were reported and the death toll is now 126. Also - Germany has 4 reported cases, 3 of which are human to human transmission from a Chinese colleague.

Sweet

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Spinz posted:

GBS hates wuhan

Well it ain't nothin' to gently caress with and I am all about loving.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Is this real?

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/202001/t20200129_2015921.shtml

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

What does it say? Sorry, I only know English.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I can't read it

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

80 people got better, 124 died... and the other 3000 are still hospitalized? No idea if it's real but them some numbers...

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

quote:

Epidemic situation of new coronavirus infection in Hubei Province on January 28, 2020
2020-01-29 06:11  |  Hubei Provincial Health Committee
At 00: 00-24: 00 on January 28, 2020 , 840 new cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection were added in Hubei Province (315 in Wuhan, 33 in Huangshi, 23 in Shiyan, and new in Xiangyang). 61 new cases, 12 new cases in Yichang, 30 new cases in Jingzhou, 28 new cases in Jingmen, 27 new cases in Ezhou, 101 new cases in Xiaogan City, 111 new cases in Huanggang City, 21 new cases in Xianning City (46 cases in Suizhou City, 13 cases in Enshi Prefecture, 5 cases in Xiantao City, 11 cases in Tianmen City, 1 case in Qianjiang City, and 2 cases in Shennongjia Forest District). There were 25 new deaths in the province, including 19 in Wuhan, 2 in Xiaogan, and 1 in Jingmen, Ezhou, Huanggang, and Tianmen.

As of 24:00 on January 28, 2020, Hubei Province has cumulatively reported 3554 cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection (including 1905 cases in Wuhan City, 86 cases in Huangshi City, 88 cases in Shiyan City, 131 cases in Xiangyang City, 63 cases in Yichang City, 101 cases in Jingzhou City, 142 cases in Jingmen City, 84 cases in Ezhou City, 274 cases in Xiaogan City, 324 cases in Huanggang City, 112 cases in Xianning City, 116 cases in Suizhou City, 51 cases in Enshi Prefecture, 32 cases in Xiantao City, 34 cases in Tianmen City, There were 8 cases in Qianjiang and 3 cases in Shennongjia Forest District. 80 cases were cured and 125 died (including 104 cases in Wuhan, 1 in Huangshi, 1 in Yichang, 2 in Jingzhou, 4 in Jingmen, and Ezhou 1 case, 3 in Xiaogan, 5 in Huanggang City, 3 in Tianmen, and 1 in Qianjiang). At present, 3349 patients are still being treated in the hospital, of which 671 are critically ill and 228 are critically ill, and they are all receiving isolation treatment at designated medical institutions. A total of 22,095 close contacts have been tracked, and 20,366 people are still under medical observation.

1 On May 27, the province's fever outpatient admissions 31,639 people, and observing 3644 people. 10702 people in Wuhan, 600 people watching; 1186 people in Huangshi city, 90 people watching; 2136 people in Shiyan city, 300 people watching; 2065 people in Xiangyang city, 209 people watching; 1086 people in Yichang city, 127 people watching; Jingzhou 1817 people in Beijing, 231 people watching; 935 people in Jingmen City, 116 people watching; 609 people in Ezhou City, 229 people watching; 2812 people in Xiaogan City, 535 people watching; 2416 people in Huanggang City, 303 people watching; Xianning 1263 people in city, 92 people watching; 488 people in Suizhou city, 214 people watching; 1849 people in Enshi city, 146 people watching; 1052 people in Xiantao City, 244 people watching; 658 people in Tianmen City, 143 people watching; potential There are 543 people in Jiangshi and 65 people watching; there are 22 people in Shennongjia Forest District.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Its English for me, must be a browser thing.

Epidemic situation of new coronavirus infection in Hubei Province on January 28, 2020 posted:

At 00: 00-24: 00 on January 28, 2020 , 840 new cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection were added in Hubei Province (315 in Wuhan, 33 in Huangshi, 23 in Shiyan, and new in Xiangyang). 61 new cases, 12 new cases in Yichang, 30 new cases in Jingzhou, 28 new cases in Jingmen, 27 new cases in Ezhou, 101 new cases in Xiaogan City, 111 new cases in Huanggang City, 21 new cases in Xianning City (46 cases in Suizhou City, 13 cases in Enshi Prefecture, 5 cases in Xiantao City, 11 cases in Tianmen City, 1 case in Qianjiang City, and 2 cases in Shennongjia Forest District). There were 25 new deaths in the province, including 19 in Wuhan, 2 in Xiaogan, and 1 in Jingmen, Ezhou, Huanggang, and Tianmen.

As of 24:00 on January 28, 2020, Hubei Province has cumulatively reported 3554 cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection (including 1905 cases in Wuhan City, 86 cases in Huangshi City, 88 cases in Shiyan City, 131 cases in Xiangyang City, 63 cases in Yichang City, 101 cases in Jingzhou City, 142 cases in Jingmen City, 84 cases in Ezhou City, 274 cases in Xiaogan City, 324 cases in Huanggang City, 112 cases in Xianning City, 116 cases in Suizhou City, 51 cases in Enshi Prefecture, 32 cases in Xiantao City, 34 cases in Tianmen City, There were 8 cases in Qianjiang and 3 cases in Shennongjia Forest District. 80 cases were cured and 125 died (including 104 cases in Wuhan, 1 in Huangshi, 1 in Yichang, 2 in Jingzhou, 4 in Jingmen, and Ezhou 1 case, 3 in Xiaogan, 5 in Huanggang City, 3 in Tianmen, and 1 in Qianjiang). At present, 3349 patients are still being treated in the hospital, of which 671 are critically ill and 228 are critically ill, and they are all receiving isolation treatment at designated medical institutions. A total of 22,095 close contacts have been tracked, and 20,366 people are still under medical observation.

1 On May 27, the province's fever outpatient admissions 31,639 people, and observing 3644 people. 10702 people in Wuhan, 600 people watching; 1186 people in Huangshi city, 90 people watching; 2136 people in Shiyan city, 300 people watching; 2065 people in Xiangyang city, 209 people watching; 1086 people in Yichang city, 127 people watching; Jingzhou 1817 people in Beijing, 231 people watching; 935 people in Jingmen City, 116 people watching; 609 people in Ezhou City, 229 people watching; 2812 people in Xiaogan City, 535 people watching; 2416 people in Huanggang City, 303 people watching; Xianning 1263 people in city, 92 people watching; 488 people in Suizhou city, 214 people watching; 1849 people in Enshi city, 146 people watching; 1052 people in Xiantao City, 244 people watching; 658 people in Tianmen City, 143 people watching; potential There are 543 people in Jiangshi and 65 people watching; there are 22 people in Shennongjia Forest District.

Numbers went up

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Fumble posted:

Its English for me, must be a browser thing.

Numbers went up

I think it's real - it tracks what I saw

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222286225614217218

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222287921337774080

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

How long until we are in The Stand by Stephen King?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
2 in Bavaria, might be connected to the same infected Chinese person on a business trip to Germany.
Press coverage is a bit spotty but they both worked for the same company it seems that had a 3rd woman come over who was diagosed when he returned in China, if I parsed the reports correctly.

Correction: now it is 4 people all working for the same company, I hope no one of you works for Webasto.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 29, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Has anyone died outside of China

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Spent the day at SFO, ask me about my Wuhan.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Has anyone died outside of China

No but statistically no one should have yet either.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Spent the day at SFO, ask me about my Wuhan.

how's it wuhanging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Mozi posted:

how's it wuhanging?

Like my last poop; low and still in my pants