Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Atomizer posted:

I use Macrium Reflect for cloning but Partition Wizard for any other kind of disk management like when there are partitions that Windows refuses to let me nuke.

Have you hit any that diskpart couldnt get recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Frankly I'm more perplexed by why there isn't a native disk migration app in Windows in TYOOL 0202

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Probably because a dozen vendors would sue em for monopolistic practices / unfair competition.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows used to have (and still has, but it's deprecated) Windows Backup. It can be used for imaging purposes, there are even third-party interfaces for it. But really, why bother.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

windows backup is soooooooooooooooooooo...

*deep breath*

...ooooooooooooooo bad

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

windows backup is soooooooooooooooooooo...

*deep breath*

...ooooooooooooooo bad

Well it could be worse like OSX. Where the backup is great but the OS actually needs it when it self destructs for no reason.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redeyes posted:

Well it could be worse like OSX. Where the backup is great but the OS actually needs it when it self destructs for no reason.

??? Time Machine has saved me a lot of trouble many times whether it be a full restore, reversion, migration or file recovery.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

oohhboy posted:

??? Time Machine has saved me a lot of trouble many times whether it be a full restore, reversion, migration or file recovery.

Time Machine backups self-destructing is a pretty common complaint, it is a pretty unreliable backup solution.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can assume the back up was on a different disk right? Right??

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

oohhboy posted:

I phrased that badly. OSX blows up randomly, so thank god time machine works most of the time.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Ika posted:

Probably because a dozen vendors would sue em for monopolistic practices / unfair competition.

Hasn't stopped them including hyperv

The real reason is that windows is on maintenance mode and no one cares unless it's something gimmicky to be farmed out to first year engineers like dark mode

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redeyes posted:

I phrased that badly. OSX blows up randomly, so thank god time machine works most of the time.

Yeah, I have had that happen once, so did my sister. Neither resulted in data loss because of TM. Mac's extra cool feature is built in network recovery which is a life saver in itself. But yeah, an OS blowing up isn't special as I expect it to at least once in a machine's lifetime. "It just works" no doubt magnifies the perception.

Windows has blown up several times on me, usually when boot manager fries itself :iiam:. Whether the rate is higher is lower is pretty anecdotal and context dependant. I don't have back up for Windows as it doesn't need it as it's only there to play games. Fibre internet and SSD means it doesn't take long to get going again. Depending on how much functionality I want back it takes about an hour to start playing again mostly waiting on Windows update. On an HDD and ADSL otoh, half a day again mostly Windows Update. What a got drat menace with failing updates, blowing up Windows and annoying af interrupting you at the worse time. It's better now but I remain wary.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

oohhboy posted:

Yeah, I have had that happen once, so did my sister. Neither resulted in data loss because of TM. Mac's extra cool feature is built in network recovery which is a life saver in itself. But yeah, an OS blowing up isn't special as I expect it to at least once in a machine's lifetime. "It just works" no doubt magnifies the perception.

Windows has blown up several times on me, usually when boot manager fries itself :iiam:. Whether the rate is higher is lower is pretty anecdotal and context dependant. I don't have back up for Windows as it doesn't need it as it's only there to play games. Fibre internet and SSD means it doesn't take long to get going again. Depending on how much functionality I want back it takes about an hour to start playing again mostly waiting on Windows update. On an HDD and ADSL otoh, half a day again mostly Windows Update. What a got drat menace with failing updates, blowing up Windows and annoying af interrupting you at the worse time. It's better now but I remain wary.

Id say that OSX blows up more on average. Not to say Windows doesn't have problems. Windows updates will definitely blow something up if a vendor has a non standard partition arrangement. Thats probably the most stupid thing ive come across. Well that and the non-standard user folder deleting problem.

Thinking about it a bit more. Likely I see more mac problems because of the GARBAGE hard drives they stuck in their computers for like 6-7 years.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 25, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Every time I boot up my Windows laptops I have random processes taking up 100% of a CPU core, sometimes I can't even use the drat thing for the first 30 seconds. Usually those are Windows update or Windows Anti-malware service related.

And the Microsoft Store is somehow worse than the Apple App store at freezing up downloads, refusing to actually download anything, thinking you have things downloaded that you don't...

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I haven't backed up any of my systems in a long time. All my files are on OneDrive and a NAS, should any of my computers fail, I'll just set it (or a new system) up fresh. Don't want all the applications I've installed over the years and will never use again anyways.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Recommendations for a USB 3 to nvme SSD adapter dealio?

I have one for SATA M.2 drives from Amazon, but you can't swap the drive out without a tiny screwdriver and tiny screws so I was hoping for a nice tool-less one that doesn't cost $50.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Recommendations for a USB 3 to nvme SSD adapter dealio?

I have one for SATA M.2 drives from Amazon, but you can't swap the drive out without a tiny screwdriver and tiny screws so I was hoping for a nice tool-less one that doesn't cost $50.

For the most part M2s are meant to be anchored with that screw at the end. (Also remember they are not great as "leave on the shelf" storage. If thats what you want to do use a rotational/magnetic drive.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Some motherboards have cool plastic retainer plug thingies for the m.2 where the plug is on the plastic strip so it won’t go anywhere. Those rock, the goddamn tiny screws are the worst and the main reason why I dislike m.2.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, Micro Center has switched OEMs for their super el cheapo USB thumb drives to newer Phison controllers, a 16 GB thumb drive I got from them for only five bucks has a read speed of 100 MB/sec and a write speed of 35-45 MB/sec, not bad for the price and sure helps speed up Windows 10 upgrades.

It seems the trick is you have to pick the right kind out of their little drawer bins at the register; they must be 1) transparent plastic and 2) have a Phison controller you can see at the bare limit of readability and 3) it has to be labeled "USB3.1," they have a bunch labeled "USB3.0" that are not see-through that are absolute garbage and have read/write speeds equivalent to floppies.

I have a 64 GB translucent plastic one with a Phison controller I got a year or two ago. This one is labeled "USB 3.0" and here's what I get with CrystalDiskMark:

Those random write speeds are sadly accurate... the Q32T16 test took minutes to complete. So it seems like the only difference between our two drives is the USB version on the label. I did get an opaque "USB 2.0" drive from them as well last year when they were out of "USB 3.0" drives and that one's performance is truly dire.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob Morales posted:

And the Microsoft Store is somehow worse than the Apple App store at freezing up downloads, refusing to actually download anything, thinking you have things downloaded that you don't...

It is unbelievably bad. A friend brought a $1 Xbox Live thing to play Sea Of Thieves with him and some other peeps who were god drat idiots that couldn't read a map. The game itself is sort of ok but really shallow(Hehe). The Xbox companion app is a horror show of just stuff everywhere. The games don't even download through it, it kicks you over to the windows store which is another mess. Neither apps talk to each other so when an update is available you don't know nor does it start updating on launch resulting in version miss match drop outs in multiplayer. People who bitch about Steam have no idea how good they have it.

I haven't used the Apple App store for any applications because why would I do that to myself. OS updates work swimmingly.

Hahah the write is practically a rounding error.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FRINGE posted:

For the most part M2s are meant to be anchored with that screw at the end. (Also remember they are not great as "leave on the shelf" storage. If thats what you want to do use a rotational/magnetic drive.)

No I mean a case that comes apart without any screws. I don't mind one screw for the drive.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Have you hit any that diskpart couldnt get recently?

I hadn't actually tried diskpart but I can tell you what I've used Partition Wizard for, which is more or less two things:
- occasional application-specific boot (USB flash) drives that end up with multiple small partitions that Windows sees (in Disk Management,) but can't do anything with, including reformat.
- Windows system drives from other systems (that have either been broken down or the boot drive has been replaced.) Understandably Windows doesn't want to let users reformat what it identifies as Windows system partitions, even if they're not for the active OS. It's much easier to deal with such drives when attached to another system though, rather than getting a boot medium of some kind and launching that just to reformat the drive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Atomizer posted:

I hadn't actually tried diskpart but I can tell you what I've used Partition Wizard for, which is more or less two things:
- occasional application-specific boot (USB flash) drives that end up with multiple small partitions that Windows sees (in Disk Management,) but can't do anything with, including reformat.
- Windows system drives from other systems (that have either been broken down or the boot drive has been replaced.) Understandably Windows doesn't want to let users reformat what it identifies as Windows system partitions, even if they're not for the active OS. It's much easier to deal with such drives when attached to another system though, rather than getting a boot medium of some kind and launching that just to reformat the drive.

diskpart does that stuff just fine

it's just a very antiquated CLI program with a text adventure game interface

code:
> diskpart

You are in a room containing 4 drives. It is dark. You may be eaten by a grue.

> look disk 1

You see a disk containing 465 GB.

> wipe disk

As your data vanishes, you recall that you wanted to delete a 500 GB partition, not your 500 GB SSD drive. Your adventure ends here.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ahahah, that was great, thanks

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

code:
> diskpart

You are in a room containing 4 drives. It is dark. You may be eaten by a grue.

> look disk 1

You see a disk containing 465 GB.

> wipe disk

As your data vanishes, you recall that you wanted to delete a 500 GB partition, not your 500 GB SSD drive. Your adventure ends here.
:magical:
for serious I physically disconnected everything that wasn't the drive I wanted to do this to a couple weeks ago to install Windows.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is very good :lol:

doctorfrog posted:

:magical:
for serious I physically disconnected everything that wasn't the drive I wanted to do this to a couple weeks ago to install Windows.

Given the option I do it logically, far less of a hassle. SATA cables aren't fond of fondling.

iirc Windows 7 and lower would gently caress up if there was more than one disk on install.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you're running in UEFI mode, there's no need to worry about this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

oohhboy posted:

That is very good :lol:

Given the option I do it logically, far less of a hassle. SATA cables aren't fond of fondling.

iirc Windows 7 and lower would gently caress up if there was more than one disk on install.

I was readjusting the cables anyhow to install the SSD anyhow, but yes. I was not real happy with how the connector on the SSD drive waggled around either, especially since I'm threading power and data cables behind and through the "crawlspace" of my case.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Klyith posted:

~ZORKPART~
Super good. Someone should write one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
For anyone that hasn't used diskpart themselves, it's not quite as bad as my joke. Don't be scared of it. You just have to be careful and look twice before doing things you can't take back.

Still, it wouldn't kill MS to update it to pull partition names into the list part results. That would remove like 90% of the mistake potential. MS seems to like open source these days, put in on github and let people fix it up a bit.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It also wouldn't kill MS if they made their GUI disk management tool halfway competent. Why do I even need to pull up a CLI tool like diskpart to clean a disk?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool when the disk management snapin just decides that it doesn't know what one of the disks is about and hangs indefinitely

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
If have an ext3/ext4 drive plugged into Windows and you launch Disk Management does the GUI offer to write a new partition table over it?

That was a nice feature.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 27, 2020

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Geemer posted:

It also wouldn't kill MS if they made their GUI disk management tool halfway competent. Why do I even need to pull up a CLI tool like diskpart to clean a disk?

Diskpart is great and very reliable. I hope they never touch it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Diskpart is great and very reliable. I hope they never touch it.

What I meant was they should make the GUI tool just as great and reliable. Instead of whatever the gently caress it is now where it just shrugs at anything remotely different from the norm and refuses to touch it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, MicroCenter is now selling the Crucial P1 NVMe SSD with QLC NAND for only $94.99.

Looks like decent speed for decent price, but geez only 200 TBW for endurance?

For $29 more, the gimped new revision Inland Premium 1 TB NVMe SSD at least has 600 TBW.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
"Only" 200 TBW is still an enormous amount for what is clearly intended as a budget consumer drive. That's ~110GB/day written 365 days/yr for 5 years, and almost every SSD made to date has been able to function substantially past its stated write endurance (exceptions made for those Intel ones that hard-locked when it hit the exact stated limit for :reasons:).

Other than synthetic torture tests explicitly made to test endurances like that, has anyone actually run into a write lock on a modern 512GB or larger drive under consumer workloads?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

willroc7 posted:

I was able to complete the cloning operation successfully with a new 860 evo. I booted to macrium reflect's rescue media and cloned from there, removing the old drive and using the same connections for the new one. I think I'm going to RMA the old one. I've already spent a ton of time trying to fix it. Thanks for all the input from the thread.

To bring some closure to this I did successfully RMA the original drive. Samsung's support was excellent and RMA'ing was a breeze. They paid for 2-day air both ways and replaced the drive. I will set it up tonight and see if it's brand new or not.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The "not too bad" factor of QLC drives lasts about as long as your first instance where the cache gets saturated and it gets you killed in a game because it turns into a slideshow.

It'd be less apparant on Grandma PC, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The reality with every SSD, but even more so QLC drives, is you should never completely fill them. Leave a bit of space for it to breathe and it'll be ok. But, yeah, a QLC drive is by design a compromise that gives you more space but at lower performance for a given dollar amount.