Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
PSO2 page now says at the bottom that closed beta progress carries over to release and participants will also receive exclusive rewards tbd. If it has said that since beta signups opened, I missed it.

Edit: of course it is month-old news to start a new page.

One of the rewards is a Dreamcast mag. Aw yeah

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

I sure hope the PC beta isn't *too* far behind. Seems like we can't even apply without having an xbox at the moment, unless it's just obscured or I'm too stupid to see it? I'm actually kind of anticipating this, a more user friendly and action-oriented bite size content thing like Warframe, also anime!

I tried the Japanese version (big thanks for the great guide in OP) but I felt a bit like a rat in a corn silo and just quit hoping that the English version would be soon enough.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You're not missing anything - at this stage the closed beta is explicitly only for Xbone

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The English version appears to be on Episode 5. So it's not super far behind but its not current.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You just need an Xbox account to sign up, I'll be borrowing a friends console to actually play.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I think they'll probably start the beta with the game in an Episode 6 state/features/quality of life, but only have access to Episode 1 quests for a short amount of time. I mean this in a "If they turned on EVERYTHING at once, and something goes wrong somewhere, trying to figure out where thing went wrong could probably be a huuuuuuge headache" way. I'm also guessing they probably first want to test the load on the Microsoft Azure servers and see what they need to do to compensate as they scale things upward and let the PC players in.

like my bet is that the page only says "9 classes" because they could still have the level cap set below 75 for a short period, and when they push that up to 80/90/95? they'll also open access to the successor classes.

the main reason I have for this is "I do not think pscrew would have ever kept backups of older builds of the game around"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
If I log on and see the matterboards, I may cry. And then blitz the hell out of them until I die so I can have things like the tourney alts and wrong turns viewable in My Room.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What are all of the official NPC names?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

What are all of the official NPC names?

They're mostly the same as the fan translations, except some slight pronunciation changes. The names are in katakana, so its a pretty straight romanization, iirc.

Like Echo, Zeno, Lisa, Matoi/other major characters, etc their names are the same, Gettemhart's name changed to Gettemhult, and Melphonsina changed to Melphonseana. I'm not sure on the counter NPCs, they may change if the names don't fit.

Dark Falz (Double) changed to Dark Falz Gemini, which makes sense kinda as they're twins. I don't know what they'll do for (Loser) though.

Afin is still Afin

Claris Claes got renamed to Klariskrays

Tea got renamed to Tia

If it is in the official subtitles on the PSO2 Episode Oracles anime then it probably will be in game, as the names are sourced from Sega NA's material. Bigger thing is Darkers were renamed to Falzspawn, which is an entirely different name, but as "Darker" was kinda just a made up term anyways, it's not super egregious from my point of view. Dunno why they left Photoners called that, if they changed the name of the creatures that are related to Dark Falz.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 17, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Klariskrays is what SoJ have always said it is, a bunch of stuff involving her and spoilers is named "KK" for short. Tia is strictly more correct than Tea as her and her sister are named after an asteroid called Patientia. Not a fan of the rest, but Falspawn isn't significantly dumber than Darkers.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

You lose some of the light vs dark metaphor, but the Photoners were idiots and gently caress them for sticking the rest of the universe with these assholes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

D-arkers

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

You ever have those moments when you realize you've missed something completly obvious for eight years? :doh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ardeem posted:

You ever have those moments when you realize you've missed something completly obvious for eight years? :doh:

It's literally written on Elder/Apprentice's outfits.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

yeah some of the translations seems like trying to make the names more interesting, but miss some of the meaning that you'd find out by playing, like changing Double to Gemini. Double isn't a pair of twins. The boy, Flo, has the ability to duplicate stuff, so to have someone to play with , he made a girl copy of himself. She's not a twin, she's his Double

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Anyone going to do Xbox w the intent to stick for release? I have pc and Xbox but was leaning pc unless there’s gonna be a bigger crowd on console. Looking forward to this, never played PSO2 but put in many hours on Dreamcast and blue burst

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They won't be separate servers for PC/Xbox and you'll be able to move between them.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Microsoft's big thing for this is pushing their Azure servers and crossplay for everything because it's all on the cloud now.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Good to know, cheers

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

orange juche posted:

It's literally written on Elder/Apprentice's outfits.

Nobody can read that chickenscratch they call an alphabet anyway

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Nobody can read that chickenscratch they call an alphabet anyway

I'm sure Sega has written it down somewhere because they love their fake languages.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

It's been made into actual fonts a few times, this is just the first one google turned up.
https://www.wfonts.com/font/pso-test

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

orange juche posted:

They're mostly the same as the fan translations, except some slight pronunciation changes. The names are in katakana, so its a pretty straight romanization, iirc.

Like Echo, Zeno, Lisa, Matoi/other major characters, etc their names are the same, Gettemhart's name changed to Gettemhult, and Melphonsina changed to Melphonseana. I'm not sure on the counter NPCs, they may change if the names don't fit.

Dark Falz (Double) changed to Dark Falz Gemini, which makes sense kinda as they're twins. I don't know what they'll do for (Loser) though.

Afin is still Afin

Claris Claes got renamed to Klariskrays

Tea got renamed to Tia

If it is in the official subtitles on the PSO2 Episode Oracles anime then it probably will be in game, as the names are sourced from Sega NA's material. Bigger thing is Darkers were renamed to Falzspawn, which is an entirely different name, but as "Darker" was kinda just a made up term anyways, it's not super egregious from my point of view. Dunno why they left Photoners called that, if they changed the name of the creatures that are related to Dark Falz.

That was what I was looking for. Good.

All the other changes seem reasonable enough. I'm not particularly attached to Darker so whatever.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/01/27/pso2-beta-starts-february-7th/ Xbone Closed Beta schedule has been announced

quote:

Starts: Friday, February 7th, 5 PM (PST)
Ends: Saturday, February 8th, 11:59 PM (PST)
Official Website: Opens Friday, February 7th, 10 AM (PST)
Pre-Load: Players will be able to install the game in advance starting Monday, February 3rd.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I always wanted this to come to USA, but that was like 5? 7? years ago? I'm genuinely curious about why anyone would choose to port this so late in the game's life cycle? Is this really going to be able to compete with games like Warframe etc? Is Sega capable of providing the content updates to the English version at a steady clip? Everything about this is just so strange. I lovvvvveeeedd PSO, played original, played a bunch in JP and ENG on the PSP/Vita, but I'm skeptical this game holds up compared to modern offerings now.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The game came out 7 and a half years ago, yeah. I would say that it absolutely holds up compared to other Action MMOs out right now. Although yeah it all comes down to how Sega handles the release and how long they plan to support it.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The main difference this time over what happened with the Phantasy Star Universe Xbox servers, is that rather than Sega of America running the server, they handed the whole operation off to Mircosoft itself; on the other side of the deal here, I think they are still in the process of also moving the Japanese servers onto Microsoft's Azure cloud computing service too. So both companies likely want to keep the other happy in this scenario.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm probably gonna give it another go. I had a lot of fun with PSO2 off and on for a few years, but I'll probably start over again on the US servers. I hope the open beta includes the PC as well as the Xbox. It's kind of like anime diablo and I'm way into that compared to an actual mmo.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
This game 7 years ago and this game now, and arguments to be made about this series in general, blows the poo poo out of most of its contemporaries by picking any game in the series.

Phantasy Star is good poo poo. Not a lot of good 3rd person action rpgs with a non generic tolkein aesthetic, especially ones that in recent years didnt hop wholeheartedly into the looter shooter wagon.

Honestly the entire time Phantasy Star Online's been around its basically been the main thing to fill that niche.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Talkc posted:

This game 7 years ago and this game now, and arguments to be made about this series in general, blows the poo poo out of most of its contemporaries by picking any game in the series.

Phantasy Star is good poo poo. Not a lot of good 3rd person action rpgs with a non generic tolkein aesthetic, especially ones that in recent years didnt hop wholeheartedly into the looter shooter wagon.

Honestly the entire time Phantasy Star Online's been around its basically been the main thing to fill that niche.

I'm not sure I really agree about present day. 5-10 years, yes, there was absolutely nothing like PSO. I couldn't scratch that itch with anything. The closes you got were Diablo style ARPGs. PSO kept getting "faster", it stopped being slow and clunky AF (which was adorable 10 years ago). Everything got more actiony and fast paces. As it did, the difference between PSO, Monster Hunter clones, and looter shooters began to evaporate. I think moving it to Azure is all good and helps cut down costs, but isn't the majority of cost going to be in ongoing content development and translation? The Asian business models rarely work here unless they are phone games. Monster Hunter Frontier's business model was next level cancer of P2W. If they had ported it to English with the same business model it would have bombed hard. This game is already long in the tooth as well. I really want to be optimistic, but with every game wanting to be a live service now they all compete for the same time and mind share. Basically, this is a lament about why this didn't happen 5 years ago.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You think the business model of selling revealing clothing won't work in the west????????

Have you played uh, any online video game....ever?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1222323522598526977 they got the budget to fully voice act (with options to keep the Japanese voice acting) anything can happen now

EDIT: it didn't happen 5 years ago because, I assume, because SoJ didnt want to do other servers themselves, and nobody made a NA server offer until they went to talk to Microsoft about a rate on Cloud Computing for their japanese pso2 servers

That's the vibe im getting anyway; SoJ sometimes does incredibly stupid things fueled by worse reasons I think

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 29, 2020

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If the closed beta only lasts for like a day and progress is carrying over, then does that mean the actual release won't be too far off?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ok that's a loving curveball

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Hyper Inferno posted:

If the closed beta only lasts for like a day and progress is carrying over, then does that mean the actual release won't be too far off?

That's my read. I'd imagine they'll move on to an open beta (with PC crossplay?) not too much later.

I wonder how much freedom they have to make changes based on feedback? I guess a lot of the cross-promotion stuff from the japanese version is toast but if they're supporting it enough to give it full english VA than maybe they can do other stuff while the hoods up. I'd like to see the quest/client order system streamlined. I'm sure loads has changed in progression since the last time I played around the time Episode 5 came out, so that might be an outdated complaint.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Very excited for Cristina Vee to be half the female cast

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I hope that respeccing won't be locked behind paid consumables because that seems like such a huge thing that can be permanently screwed up without a guide. Mags too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Very excited for Cristina Vee to be half the female cast

If she can somehow differently voice each character more power to her. Whoever does wind up getting jobs doing voice acting work is probably going to be voicing a lot of characters, as even in the JP cast several characters are voiced by the same people. I think one of the voice actresses does 3 or 4 characters?

E: after listening to her voice acting, I've heard worse, but not much worse. I'll be avoiding the english voiceacting.

E2: I see what you did there

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 29, 2020

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Hyper Inferno posted:

I hope that respeccing won't be locked behind paid consumables because that seems like such a huge thing that can be permanently screwed up without a guide. Mags too.

If they remotely copy the jp version, respec passes get handed out when they mess with class skills. Mags have recently gotten much cheaper (no cash) to unfuck, too.

EDIT: i wonder what English dudu and Monica will sound like... :shepface:

MR. J fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

NextTime000 posted:

https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1222323522598526977 they got the budget to fully voice act (with options to keep the Japanese voice acting) anything can happen now
What the gently caress they’re actually dubbing the songs too.
https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1222327211170004992?s=21