Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Ever since I saw Patrick Wilson in Hard Candy, when I see him on screen I go "hey cool, Patrick Wilson".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I want a good well constructed murder mystery show on Netflix to binge, any recs? I watched all of poirot when it was on the service and had just started on Columbo when that left. Corniness is fine if they still keep things reasonably interesting mystery-wise (I also wish Murder She Wrote was still up) but I don't especially want procedurals (Criminal Minds is so mediocre that I watched almost the entire run a few years ago and I couldn't tell you the names of any characters) and I really don't like gore (Hannibal and Bones are too much for me)

basically I saw Knives Out and am itching for something new

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

I want a good well constructed murder mystery show on Netflix to binge, any recs? I watched all of poirot when it was on the service and had just started on Columbo when that left. Corniness is fine if they still keep things reasonably interesting mystery-wise (I also wish Murder She Wrote was still up) but I don't especially want procedurals (Criminal Minds is so mediocre that I watched almost the entire run a few years ago and I couldn't tell you the names of any characters) and I really don't like gore (Hannibal and Bones are too much for me)

There's a lot of episodes of Columbo on YouTube under an official feed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Franchescanado posted:

There's a lot of episodes of Columbo on YouTube under an official feed.

There's only five episodes, unfortunately, assuming you mean https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-_KHwBu0JzqbReeNPxb9JIGObsfJ_tHA

Everything else on the channel is clips and compilations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

There's only five episodes, unfortunately, assuming you mean https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-_KHwBu0JzqbReeNPxb9JIGObsfJ_tHA

Everything else on the channel is clips and compilations.

Ah, my bad.

If I think of any mysteries, I'll quote you and post it, but that's a dry well on Netflix.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
You might like A Simple Favor on amazon prime.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You might like A Simple Favor on amazon prime.

I currently have access to Netflix and not Prime, which is why I asked about Netflix :v:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

The Hateful Eight and Along Came a Spider are currently on Netflix and may scratch that itch, although I guess Hateful Eight has a bit of gore. Honorable mention for Wind River, which cycled off Netflix recently, but may be back at some point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Watchmen had amazing casting in Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Wilson, Crudup, Rorshach, etc, but then they bizarrely cast Laurie and while she's awesome in lots of other things, her acting style just didn't fit with the movie

Zack Snyder is generally amazing with his casting, but every movie he does seems to have one huge misfire. Malin Åkerman just wasn't up to the role in Watchmen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Acht posted:

Ever since I saw Patrick Wilson in Hard Candy, when I see him on screen I go "hey cool, Patrick Wilson".

:same:

Dude is the best thing in pretty much everything he does.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

:same:

Dude is the best thing in pretty much everything he does.

Nah. Vera Farmiga smokes his rear end in all of The Conjuring films. Lili Taylor is also a stand-out in the original Conjuring.

Nothing against Wilson, but I almost always look over his performance for his co-stars.

I admit, I never finished Fargo season 2, but I always heard more praise for Ted Danson and Kirsten Dunst than Wilson.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He's a really solid guy you can throw in a movie and you know he's gonna give a solid performance. Which is nice, but lets not get carried away.

You can't say he's the best thing in The Conjuring because yea Vera Farminga owns those movies. In Bone Tomahawk he's mostly overshadowed by Kurt Russell and for my money the best character in that movie is Richard Jenkins. Hell, even Matthew Fox gives a standout performance in Bone Tomahawk.

He's the best thing about Aquaman though, I'll give him that one. They did a very smart thing by not killing him off at the end of that movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

He's the best thing about Aquaman though, I'll give him that one. They did a very smart thing by not killing him off at the end of that movie.

Patrick Wilson did not play Bongo Octopus.

I also haven't seen Hard Candy, so I can't comment on his performance, but I've always heard Ellen Paige getting praise for that one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

flatluigi posted:

I want a good well constructed murder mystery show on Netflix to binge, any recs?

Choices are limited but there is Father Brown, Broadchurch, and Ripper Street. Murdoch Mysteries moved to Acorn.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I also haven't seen Hard Candy, so I can't comment on his performance, but I've always heard Ellen Paige getting praise for that one.

In Hard Candy he's playing a mostly thankless role, Paige gets all the good stuff for the most part. Wilson is perfect for it though because his slick movie-star good looks really bring an extra element to the character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you like Vera Farmiga and you haven't watched Bates Motel yet you need to fix that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

flatluigi posted:

Can't believe none of yall are suggesting Longmire. Aside from the usual, " how many loving murders take place in a town of 250 people?" problem it's quite good.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Franchescanado posted:

I admit, I never finished Fargo season 2, but I always heard more praise for Ted Danson and Kirsten Dunst than Wilson.

I want to disagree with you but bokeem woodbine styles all over him in this, my favorite scene from fargo season 2: https://youtu.be/Sb814rfwOOE

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

eighty-four merc posted:

I want to disagree with you but bokeem woodbine styles all over him in this, my favorite scene from fargo season 2: https://youtu.be/Sb814rfwOOE

gently caress man I gotta rewatch this soon

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Franchescanado posted:

I'm a fan of both of them but I didn't like Hard Candy personally. Ymmv and all that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of murder mystery series, I started watching Wire in the Blood, weird name but pretty good psychologist/profiler style procedural from 2002.

Tried Silent Witness, it has 20-some seasons so it must be good but I'm struggling with it. First ep is brand new brash pathologist on a mission, dressing down experienced cops to do their jobs and catch the killer but she can't determine whether it's a homicide or even the cause of death -- huh? On what planet does that make sense. And yet all the cops just act sheepish and don't call her on the bullshit. Ep 2 is the complete opposite, boring milquetoast pathologist dealing with boring family drama. If it gets better let me know.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Can't believe none of yall are suggesting Longmire.

It's one of those shows that's been on my list but I always forget about it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Can't believe none of yall are suggesting Longmire. Aside from the usual, " how many loving murders take place in a town of 250 people?" problem it's quite good.

This has Starbuck doesn’t it?

A friend recc’d it and I didn’t listen because of western wear

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

This has Starbuck doesn’t it?

A friend recc’d it and I didn’t listen because of western wear

It does and she's good.

It's a good show. I really enjoyed it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Netflix’s DVD service isn’t terrible, but I’m not sure if there is a service I can replace it with. Are there any rental companies still out there?

I want to see To Live and Die in LA, but it doesn’t seem to be streaming anywhere and Netflix doesn’t have it on DVD

Same thing with the Sam Neill movie Possession, but I have given up on ever seeing that

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Redbox? Usually there's some of those in grocery stores etc

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Have you considered just renting them on iTunes or Amazon?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Neither one even turned up in the search results on Prime Video, but I haven’t checked iTunes yet

I also noticed that 30 Rock is available on Prime now, so there goes many hours for me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sock The Great posted:

Have you considered just renting them on iTunes or Amazon?

I know it seems like Amazon has everything but they don't. To Live and Die in L.A. isn't there, for instance.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If that movie isn't streaming anywhere, it's worth buying.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

If that movie isn't streaming anywhere, it's worth buying.

Double feature with Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I just lucked into finding To Live and Die in L.A. in a bargain DVD display for like $7 at a random CVS one day. No brainer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What'd the consensus end up being on El Camino? Despite loving Vince Gilligan I've had less than zero desire to watch it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

precision posted:

What'd the consensus end up being on El Camino? Despite loving Vince Gilligan I've had less than zero desire to watch it

Good, if unnecessary. A nice epilogue to jesse's arc if you want that

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

It doesn't add a whole lot but I enjoyed it. You get more Badger and Skinny Pete plus some good :wtf: Todd stuff

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was skeptical too, but it was really good and doesn't do anything to detract from the greatness of the show.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

precision posted:

It’s a very cool modern-day western that’s mildly hampered by too many dang Breaking Bad cameos.

Better than the show, imo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Deadite posted:

Netflix’s DVD service isn’t terrible, but I’m not sure if there is a service I can replace it with. Are there any rental companies still out there?

I want to see To Live and Die in LA, but it doesn’t seem to be streaming anywhere and Netflix doesn’t have it on DVD

Same thing with the Sam Neill movie Possession, but I have given up on ever seeing that

I don’t think Possession ever got an official release on dvd or blu.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Deadite posted:

You can rent it on iTunes (UK)
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/movie/possession/id1228349169

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Deadite posted:

Consider checking out the selection at your local library. I found some movies at mine that I couldn't find via any other rental / streaming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

El Camino was really good. Not sure Gilligan can do wrong at this point.

Deadite posted:

I even tried to find that one by other means and failed.