Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So far my suggestions for making this comic better have been met with silence. I am safe in the knowledge that my amazing plot twists will not occur. I am willing to shoulder the financial burden of being proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I dunno, maybe you're right and he'll mix it up and make the sexy dead body the dude this time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Her legs are fuckin weird but I can't quite articulate how.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Who What Now posted:

its the lack of knees

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That definitely doesn't help. Also the fact that her legs are obviously wildly different lengths. And her feet are just weird bags. The more I look at it the more it sucks.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Who What Now posted:

The famous "kneeling on a rock" or "captain morgan" pose is common in bad artists who cannot draw 2 legs of the same length or foreshorten properly. Normally, people remember to draw a rock for them to kneel on. But that's too much :effort: for Mookie.

I hate this comic.

I know the rest of it is extremely bland, but the ink witch really isn't deserving of any particular praise. It's 90% ripped off from the sexy big boobed witch from "dragon's crown" with less detail.

Since Snout is deaf, he can't hear the sound from this enormous, noxious fart the ink witch just cracked off. I cannot parse this update in any other way

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I like that the ship was just an animated drawing the whole time.

then why did it destroy his house

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Gentrification.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I clearly overestimated the pace of this comic.

Think it'll happen before Chinese New Year?

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
It's not fair to pick on this because it's a very distant shot and his face is supposed to be simplified, but it caught my eye and reminded me of something...

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

In all seriousness, the shift into ink textures is actually nice and sets the witch and her powers apart from the world as something strange and powerful. It's just unfortunate that staring at it too long reveals how awkward her pose is, especially since she's lifting her foot onto... nothing? An ink pedestal? I'm not sure what's going on there.

I'm ready for tons of dialogue in this dialogue-less story

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MiracleFlare posted:

In all seriousness, the shift into ink textures is actually nice and sets the witch and her powers apart from the world as something strange and powerful.

Which means it took effort to do and Mookie probably won't do it again after this. He'll probably shift back to the flat black splashes he's used for her ink in the past.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I thought this was an edit.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

PMush Perfect posted:

I clearly overestimated the pace of this comic.

Think it'll happen before Chinese New Year?

Chinese New Year 2021, maybe.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Wait wait wait wait.
Then what was the whole point of the spaceship plotline? Aside from destroying Jar Jar's house?
The whole thing was a pointless little story loop.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I suppose the witch was abducted, but caused the ship to crash during her (successful) escape attempt.

It's still entirely pointless, though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Libra posted:

Wait wait wait wait.
Then what was the whole point of the spaceship plotline? Aside from destroying Jar Jar's house?
The whole thing was a pointless little story loop.

Cat Mattress posted:

I suppose the witch was abducted, but caused the ship to crash during her (successful) escape attempt.

It's still entirely pointless, though.

:shrug:

It's one big JJ Abrams-like "mystery box". It wouldn't surprise me if Mookie had no explanation in mind and either has to twist in circles to explain anything, or never does at all and keeps doing unplanned, unexplainable poo poo like this.

If you're not familiar with the "mystery box" style of writing, look at Lost or the recent Star Wars movies. Basically the writer creates a bunch of mysteries early on that pique the viewers' interest as they have no readily explainable or guessable solution (the nature of the island in Lost, Rey's parents, the identity of Snoke). But the reason these mysteries are so good is because the author hasn't planned the answer out at all either. So almost inevitably, when they're forced to actually reveal the solutions, it ends up being really unsatisfying (see, well, the latter part of Lost and Rise of Skywalker) because they either do the most obvious/dumb thing, or just come up with a solution that negates all the mysteries anyway.

My guess is when Mookie had Snout's house get blown up he was possibly something different for the ship. But now that we know it was made by and (presumably) controlled by the Ink Witch, it makes a lot of the things the ship did make absolutely no sense. And I really doubt Mookie will have a good explanation.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 29, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well I do like black metal. Actually this reminds me of when goons edited pages of Dreaming of Furtopia so instead of the fursuits being able to show emotions and poo poo they were just static and often stink-line producing dead-eye-staring fursuits.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I cannot get over how the hat is sitting on the head - Is it off-center? Something about it just looks... Wrong.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Clawtopsy posted:

I cannot get over how the hat is sitting on the head - Is it off-center? Something about it just looks... Wrong.

Everything about it looks wrong. Even by Mookie standards this page was bad.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Everything about it looks wrong. Even by Mookie standards this page was bad.

Nah hosed up anatomy is just the norm for Mookie. The fact that he tried, well, ANYTHING with the ship and that ink texture makes it miles beyond his normal fare.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking as the shittalker in chief of His Mookisty I will not allowe this page to be shittalked too much, for as I saide, he tried. And That's Better Than Nothinge.

Just wait til he totally fucks this up on Friday.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Clawtopsy posted:

Think about how that hat would have to be sitting for it to cover her eyes and nose as she walks towards Snout. The brim appears to be pulled way down in the front. But ti looks more like its floating in front of her head.

But yes, points for effort Mookie.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, I know this happened like a whole comic ago but why did the ship crash? Also how is she alive? I mean the ship itself beamed her up last time sure, but does it also cushion her from slamming face first into the ground at high speeds?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Wait, I know this happened like a whole comic ago but why did the ship crash? Also how is she alive? I mean the ship itself beamed her up last time sure, but does it also cushion her from slamming face first into the ground at high speeds?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

:shrug:

It's one big JJ Abrams-like "mystery box". It wouldn't surprise me if Mookie had no explanation in mind and either has to twist in circles to explain anything, or never does at all and keeps doing unplanned, unexplainable poo poo like this.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Clawtopsy posted:

There are a couple problems with the hat that make it look so awkward. First, the brim is perfectly flat. Which is possible, but looks really, really awkward, especially on such a wide brimmed witch hat. Quickly GIS a witch hat, and every single one that is being worn has a curve to the brim. And even the ones that are fairly stiff have a little wave. Here you can't tell if the tiny variations are because it is wavy, or if Mookie can't draw, or if the edge is ragged. Also, it looks like the brim is a square with rounded corners, instead of a circle.

Also, her face is drawn dead straight, but the hat is tilted so far down that it stops looking like an object that she is wearing. Instead, it looks like an image of a hat drawn in a different context and dropped on top of her head to hide her eyes. It looks like it is sitting on a table, not on someone' head.

Which is funny. These two problems solve each other. If the hat had a floppier brim, it wouldn't need to be pulled down so far to cover her eyes.

Looking at the rest of the comic (Since I just spent more time staring at the hat than I want to think about) the ink effect of the dissolving ship is visually interesting, but it isn't visually tied to the ship in the second panel, which looks more like shattering than dissolving. If he had brought in a little of the dissolve/shading/wet look to the second panel, it would be a more fluid transition.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I was going to make a comment before this page about how it'd be funny if the Ink Witch popped out of the crashed ship, but I was like "Nahhh, what would be the point of everything in between her kidnapping and meeting back up with Snout then?" And now this happened and seriously, what was the point of everything between when she was kidnapped and when they met back up then?

Snout is further from places he's familiar with, but the ship could've blown up his house and prompted Snout and the Ink Witch to go off in pursuit of it and that would've skipped the whole of... at least November and December's comics.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

I was going to make a comment before this page about how it'd be funny if the Ink Witch popped out of the crashed ship, but I was like "Nahhh, what would be the point of everything in between her kidnapping and meeting back up with Snout then?" And now this happened and seriously, what was the point of everything between when she was kidnapped and when they met back up then?

Snout is further from places he's familiar with, but the ship could've blown up his house and prompted Snout and the Ink Witch to go off in pursuit of it and that would've skipped the whole of... at least November and December's comics.

Has there ever been a point?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Sure. Its at the top of the witch's hat.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

God drat it that was the first thing I thought and you went and posted it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah I suggested before this comic would have made a whole lot more sense and had way better pacing if the Ink Witch was permanently with him, and they were working on solving the mystery of who is trying to stop them from discovering the legacy of Dominic and who is piloting the ship. And then when the ship appeared to kidnap the Witch, I thought, oh, it's going to be about him trying to rescue her from whoever has the ship.

But no, it's just... Her ship. So why did she do all that poo poo to Snout instead of just meeting back up with him earlier? And the villain is just... Some random orc mage? This comic is full of mysteries that don't further the plot, but just muddle the details.

Also note that Snout never once attempted to rescue the Witch from the ship, even though it really looked like she had been abducted (to us anyway). It's because MOOKIE knew it was her ship, so there was no reason for Snout to try and rescue her, because all of Mookie's characters can read his mind, even if the reader can't.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Way I see it, there’s no way Mookie’s gonna reveal he’s been wearing weighted compression gloves this whole time and is actually hella good at anatomy and perspective. So adjusting for that, this is a pretty good page and legit the first exciting thing in this new comic in months.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Really, no, but sometimes it feels good to scream to the uncaring heavens

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But no, it's just... Her ship. So why did she do all that poo poo to Snout instead of just meeting back up with him earlier? And the villain is just... Some random orc mage? This comic is full of mysteries that don't further the plot, but just muddle the details.

On top of all that, if this is her ship why'd she blow up his house?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How much will snout care that this lady destroyed his home while he was trying to help her?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

On top of all that, if this is her ship why'd she blow up his house?

Presumably because the ship has a mind of its own... Except she just disintegrated the ship, showing it was a created by one of her spells all along. Unless it had gone rogue or something, and she took control of it again when she came aboard? You'd think she'd have at least apologized if so.

ninjewtsu posted:

How much will snout care that this lady destroyed his home while he was trying to help her?

He found a very comfortable cave like 2 seconds after so probably not much.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Not to defend Mookie, but it’s possible there’s multiple ink users, and the ship was made by an enemy ink wizard to capture the ink witch. It’s still ridiculous that she managed to crash it right by Snout, along with everything else in the story being badly structured.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Not to defend Mookie, but it’s possible there’s multiple ink users, and the ship was made by an enemy ink wizard to capture the ink witch. It’s still ridiculous that she managed to crash it right by Snout, along with everything else in the story being badly structured.

Honestly, that's too clever for our dear Mooks.

I have a feeling even he would struggle to DIALOGUE FREE COMIC with such a plot point.

Despite your suggestion being better than what he will eventually poo poo out.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I mean, the more major characters can make ink words in the air, the more dialogue free it can be!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well, except the only enemy we've seen so far is the orc, which displayed no ink powers, and the Ink Witch REQUESTED he find the ship. It is still possible she was trapped there, but either way all her actions between then and now are very confusing.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Poor Snout is loveshy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

He really wants to draw those naked curves huh.