Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

such a whack show. Weirdo Joss fails again. Good cast but the same lame magic woman plot over and over.

Fake Han Solo was OK but the whedonisms he has to burp out constantly make it worse than it needs be. Whedon can’t help but make everyone talk like Spiderman.

Setting was copy paste Star Wars underbelly with horses and trench coat cosplay. Chinese influence but not one speaking role for an Asian actor is ostentatious.

The fans got poo poo on over and over and still worship the show. #1 saddest fan base in sci fi.

Glad it got cancelled. Nathan Fillion should just read audiobooks for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn’t even finish the first episode. Joss Whedon should be tried at The Hague and hanged

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Firefly was good, but mostly because it got killed before the Whedonjank could set in too deeply. Serenity going full focus on teenage girl action at the expense of everyone more interesting (everyone) was a good indicator for where it was headed. It executed its cliche well and died on as high a note as it could. Fox completely loving up the broadcast schedule gave the fans an excuse for why it got canceled instead of 'whoops Whedon slipped the editors and went dumbfuck again' that could actually play.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Joss Whedon is a bad man who cheated on his wife for 20 years before abandoning her. drat him for bringing sexual perversion into the world of science fiction.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Joss Whedon is a bad man who cheated on his wife for 20 years before abandoning her. drat him for bringing sexual perversion into the world of science fiction.

before firefly sci fi had never been inappropriately horny

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i never watched it but i like the clip where they through people into turbines

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
everyone's dialogue was casually peppered with Mandarin but there were no Chinese characters. hmm.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
P. funny that Cleopatra 2525 isn't the most embarrassing show on Gina Torres' imdb page.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

adam baldwin is a omegachud

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
for a while, 15% of con attendees were browncoats

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Complete this sentence :

guns in firefly shoot a _______

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Dollhouse was pretty bad I agree

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My dad tried showing me the first ep when I was like 12 but it completely bounced off me. God the 2000s were such a bad time for pop culture

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I liked it it was fun.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

well why not posted:

Complete this sentence :

guns in firefly shoot a _______

It's something between a 'pew pew' and a 'bLAM blam'.
kachow maybe?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Watched the movie first because all my friends told me it would be good. Thought it was okay. Tried watching the series and man what a crapfest. Fox didn't pull the plug fast enough. Also Joss Whedon sucks.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Firefly was dogshit and it baffles me that people are still bitching and moaning about its cancellation 17 years later.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I enjoyed the aesthetic but on a whole it wasn't well written, i enjoyed watching it all once tbh, but won't again and wouldn't really recommend it either

If you want outlaw misfits on a spaceship, watch farscape instead :hai:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

alnilam posted:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alnilam posted:

Farscape doesn't have cowboys tho

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CainFortea posted:

:wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIeIn6mmhWI&t=35s

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CainFortea posted:

theres an alamo epnin season 3 (“different destinations”)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

alnilam and i on the farscape blue star gang (moydya)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Squizzle posted:

alnilam and i on the farscape blue star gang (moydya)

i will not rest until the entire star wars RSF has decided that farscape is worth checking out, if they feel like it and have time

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

in the interest of being kind to firefly in the face of all this cyberbullying, i will think ofa few nice things to say about it, even though on the whole it's not great

i liked the idea of a spacefaring civilization with many planets, but still kind of underpopulated, that is still somehow resource poor, where people everywhere are both hungry and in need of medicine, despite what should be a bounty of many planets with settlements on them. idk i guess it makes u think of how special earf is for its bounty of resources cause all the other planets people live on suck rear end.

whedon almost seemed to be going somewhere with why earth was out of the picture but never really got there because he's a bad writer who loves to drop ~~interesting world building hints~~ without ever following up. that or maybe he did an i forgot bc it wasn't memorable

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I had fun with the show but I'm glad it didn't keep going because the chance of "the south will rise again" stuff getting awful was really high.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
John Carter was a confederate sumbitch.

Also John Carter was more entertaining than Firefly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

indigi posted:

everyone's dialogue was casually peppered with Mandarin but there were no Chinese characters. hmm.

i feel like this is equivalent to how most 80s sci-fi assumed the Japanese were going to just buy up America at some point

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Firefly had some entertaining stories and characters. It was also a very age-targeted show, kind of like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

People complain about Magical Girl and I get that - especially the movie scenes where she all of a sudden got kung-fu uploaded over the matrix.

Also keep in mind that this show is written for people over the age of 12 and under the age of maybe 22. We really shouldn't expect it to be good through the eyes of an adult.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Firefly is one of those things that might be good but I've heard so much gushing over it that I'm completely sick of it before actually watching it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Firefly was okay, it had some good moments but in the end was just extremely Whedony

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

alnilam posted:

whedon almost seemed to be going somewhere with why earth was out of the picture but never really got there because he's a bad writer who loves to drop ~~interesting world building hints~~ without ever following up. that or maybe he did an i forgot bc it wasn't memorable

Whedon absolutely should not ever follow up on his lore too much, the mystery is always better than whatever he comes up with in the end. All the proof you need is the Firefly movie, Serenity.

vyelkin posted:

Firefly was okay, it had some good moments but in the end was just extremely Whedony

This is how I feel about it too. I liked it a lot when I was younger but it always left a weird "taste in my mouth" if that makes sense. I think that was me knowing in my subconscious that it wasn't as good as all my friends said it was.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Firefly is like the emporers new clothes in that I think everyone only says they like it because they’re supposed to

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stairmaster posted:

My dad tried showing me the first ep when I was like 12 but it completely bounced off me. God the 2000s were such a bad time for pop culture

I watched the first episode, liked it, tried to get other people to watch it, they watched the first episode, laughed, and said lol no, then when I tried to watch it again years after getting over the same of getting owned thoroughly I found they were right and it was dogshit.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

firefly and serenity were v good but whedon would have hosed it up real bad if it made it past season 4 or so

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I feel like I tried to watch it in kinda good faith but it was just really average which is sort of the worst thing a show like this can do or be

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pick posted:

I feel like I tried to watch it in kinda good faith but it was just really average which is sort of the worst thing a show like this can do or be

Eh, mid 90s through early 2000s TV was a loving wasteland, so it was significantly above average for 2002, but yes now that there's so much good poo poo out there it's not worth watching at all. and any holder-on fandoms are loving broke as hell

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Best part of it was that movie which was decent, but the series was hot garbage. It was just the only thing on tv at the time.

Next year we got BSG so woo I guess.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Firefly fans talk like everyone loves the series and act like its a complete shock that it got cancelled but then at the height of all this the movie flopped on a pretty modest budget.

I’ve got a feeling that Firefly fans might be loving deluded to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Horsebanger posted:

Best part of it was that movie which was decent, but the series was hot garbage. It was just the only thing on tv at the time.

Next year we got BSG so woo I guess.

i guess farscape and stargate werent airing new eps during most of q4 2002, and star trek was only doing enterprise (and nemesis) at the time, but even so i wouldnt consider it some trackless waste for space opera tv