Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If you’re the kind of idiot who still has cable, I recorded both of those movies off of TCM in the last few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Possession is a tough one, yea. In the horror thread I think a lot of us ended up seeing it on one of the various streams that posters will do from time to time. But it's tough to find and the blu ray is listed at like $40 on Amazon.

A few weeks ago I was having trouble finding Brotherhood of the Wolf to stream so I ended up buying the blu ray, but it's a great movie and I have a decent sized movie collection already so it was not a tough decision.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
One of the major reasons I open Netflix is because I remembered a funny sketch in I Think You Should Leave and want to rewatch it. Can't wait for the second season.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, El Camino is straight up a Western and it's best enjoyed that way. Aaron Paul's performance was pretty good too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Inspector Hound posted:

Double feature with Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead

To Live and Die in LA pairs well with Manhunter. Same lead, same vibe.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Sand Monster posted:

Consider checking out the selection at your local library. I found some movies at mine that I couldn't find via any other rental / streaming service.

Also their digital services. I'm getting Acorn TV free through my library and that's where Poirot and Marple are now which is good stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yea that would make for an interesting double feature because Peterson's characters are so different. In Manhunter he's this broken man who can barely force himself to do the things he needs to do in order to catch the killer. In To Live and Die in L.A. he's mostly an arrogant shithead who I really had a hard time feeling bad for when he gets shotgunned in the face at the end.

Peterson's wardrobe in To Live and Die in L.A. is ridiculous too.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can’t stop thinking of the Wang Chung song every time I see a post about TL&DIL. That and the chase from the movie is all I remember. To be honest I haven’t watched it since my parents rented it on VHS back in the 80’s.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Unkempt posted:

Also their digital services. I'm getting Acorn TV free through my library and that's where Poirot and Marple are now which is good stuff.

Whoa, gotta see if our library does that, we watch Acorn every day. Edit, sadly no.

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 29, 2020

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Possession definitely got a domestic US release at some point because I rented the physical disc from a local rental place just last year.

(Yes, I have a local rental place. Yes, it's kind of a weird thing in 2020.)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The Outsider on HBO Go is really solid. Mendelsohn may be my favorite actor working today so I admit I'm biased, but it has a True Detective vibe going for it, in the best way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I’m loving it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Bling Ring is on Netflix now and makes a great triple feature with Thoroughbreds and We Are Your Friends

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

precision posted:

The Bling Ring is on Netflix now and makes a great triple feature with Thoroughbreds and We Are Your Friends

This is the first time I've ever heard anything even remotely positive about We Are Your Friends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wizardofloneliness posted:

This is the first time I've ever heard anything even remotely positive about We Are Your Friends.

It's a terrible movie, but it's great

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

LifeLynx posted:

One of the major reasons I open Netflix is because I remembered a funny sketch in I Think You Should Leave and want to rewatch it. Can't wait for the second season.

The magician one is an oft quoted favorite at my house.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I even tried to find that one by other means and failed.

I found it pretty easily. It's worth watching?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

wizardofloneliness posted:

I watched it solely because I’m in love with emily ratajkowski and let me tell ya, it was real bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But it's bad in such a fascinatingly specific and entertaining way

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

precision posted:

But it's bad in such a fascinatingly specific and entertaining way

I mean, I’m glad you found something there to enjoy, I didn’t.

I watched The Bling Ring a few years ago and found it pretty ridiculous and filled with insane dialogue, but then I read that much of the script was taken directly from court transcripts and testimony of the actual girls involved, and then it becomes wildly fascinating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haha yeah I had the exact same reaction

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Bling Ring owns.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's a real good horror movie hidden in the premise of Bling Ring too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

married but discreet posted:

There's a real good horror movie hidden in the premise of Bling Ring too.

The real horror is capitalism

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I completely wrote off the Bling Ring because I hated the name, but have meaning to get around to watching it a while since everyone said it was good.

E: omfg that came out in 2013? So did Spring Breakers...Holy poo poo I feel old. I thought that was like 3 years ago. Christ

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Uncut Gems dropping on Netflix tonight.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Laterite posted:

Oh that's not something I was expecting, cool. I'm sure everyone except me knew it was a Netflix movie, I just knew what the Chapo kids kept saying about it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m still not sure if I liked Uncut Gems, but it’s worth watching. It’s such a weird mishmash of things that shouldn’t work together at all but they absolutely do somehow. Definitely a unique watch.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

Do you have a link for this? It's not showing up in the app and Google is giving conflicting results, one of which says "no plans to stream on Netflix".

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's dropping on Netflix (outside the United States)

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Booo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

This is how I win don't get to watch uncut gems

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

I completely wrote off the Bling Ring because I hated the name, but have meaning to get around to watching it a while since everyone said it was good.

E: omfg that came out in 2013? So did Spring Breakers...Holy poo poo I feel old. I thought that was like 3 years ago. Christ

I mean it's Sofia Coppola so of course it's good, but there's also a certain cinematic something that's missing with a straight retelling of what's basically just the facts.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

This is how I win don't get to watch uncut gems

VPN I think still works or wait a few hours and :filez:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’ve been watching Entourage on Prime and it’s the worst show I’ve ever seen

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

sponges posted:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sponges posted:

Entourage and Girls were both shows I enjoyed up until the point where I realized they weren't satirical.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

My only knowledge of Entourage comes from a guy giving a seminar on leadership I had to go to who opened by giving some details about himself:

1. His two biggest inspirations in life were Heath Ledger's Joker and Jeremy Piven in Entourage and he quoted them throughout his talk.

2. He was divorced.

3. He tells every woman he dates that his priorities in life are his business first and then her.

4. He was currently single.

He then went on to tell the story of him firing every single person that worked for him in one day and keeping up an elaborate lie to his customers that he was fully staffed until he hired more people.

Anyways I never felt like I needed to watch Entourage after that since I felt I had experienced the essence of the entire show in about 45 minutes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My biggest inspiration in life is Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler. He's just so driven!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

sponges posted:

This but I’ve been watching Banshee. It’s complete trash but I think I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

feedmyleg posted:

My biggest inspiration in life is Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler. He's just so driven!

I'm a little older so mine is still Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver but :yeah: