Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Finally finished with Parks and Rec, still don’t think season 7 is very good. Find it amusing that, due to the time skip, Leslie is working for the Trump administration. The politics in the show certainly haven’t aged well at all. It was more ups than downs and I genuinely loved the show but wow has some stuff aged really loving poorly.

Can anyone recommend some other good comedies? I basically haven’t watched any comedy shows in the last 15 years due to the fact I’m ultra picky with comedy shows. And I generally find anything pre-2012 to be borderline unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I tried to watch No Activity but I despise the gimmick

.....that it’s two people talking to each other?

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 29, 2020

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mordiceius posted:

Finally finished with Parks and Rec, still don’t think season 7 is very good. Find it amusing that, due to the time skip, Leslie is working for the Trump administration. The politics in the show certainly haven’t aged well at all. It was more ups than downs and I genuinely loved the show but wow has some stuff aged really loving poorly.

Can anyone recommend some other good comedies? I basically haven’t watched any comedy shows in the last 15 years due to the fact I’m ultra picky with comedy shows. And I generally find anything pre-2012 to be borderline unwatchable.

If you liked Parks and Rec, check out Michael Schur's other shows Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

.....that it’s two people talking to each other?

Homie that's massively reductive

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Jessica Alba episode is a must watch. I had no idea she was hilarious.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

swickles posted:

If you liked Parks and Rec, check out Michael Schur's other shows Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place.

The Good Place is actually what got me to go and watch Parks and Rec.

I should probably give Brooklyn 99 a shot.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mordiceius posted:

Community.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Good comedies in the last 15 years:

It's Always Sunny
30 Rock
Workaholics
Broad City
Community
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Party Down
PEN15
Shrill
Bojack Horseman
American Vandal

I'm sure there are plenty others too but these all came to mind.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Argue posted:

Community.

The first couple seasons of Community were good, but I felt like it quickly went up it's own rear end.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mordiceius posted:

The first couple seasons of Community were good, but I felt like it quickly went up it's own rear end.

I mean, it did, but in a good way. Seasons 3 and 6 are the two best seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Homie that's massively reductive

How?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The gimmick is two people talking to each other, in every scene, with no action, or, one might say, no activity. At least as far as I could get into it. Like are you arguing that that is not the show's hook or what

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

I mean, it did, but in a good way. Seasons 3 and 6 are the two best seasons.

Season 3 is when I dropped it, myself. It felt like it was more about the gimmicks than the characters. 1 is probably my favorite season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The gimmick is two people talking to each other, in every scene, with no action, or, one might say, no activity. At least as far as I could get into it. Like are you arguing that that is not the show's hook or what

That’s what I said. That it’s two people talking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, Dinner with Andre it aint

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

If you like 30 Rock also, I would definitely check out Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I feel like its tone is kind of a mesh of 30 Rock and P&R (though leaning more into the former, obviously).

American Vandal is also great.

I'll also boost I Think You Should Leave.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll also boost I Think You Should Leave.

I Think You Should Leave is great because they're 15 minute long episodes so you can blow through the whole first season in about an hour and a half. Very little investment required for such a funny show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Good comedies in the last 15 years:

It's Always Sunny
30 Rock
Workaholics
Broad City
Community
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Party Down
PEN15
Shrill
Bojack Horseman
American Vandal

I'm sure there are plenty others too but these all came to mind.

Baskets. That show absolutely should not work and sounds dumb as hell on paper, but the family dynamic works so well.

RIP to a wonderful show that literally no one watched :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Baskets. That show absolutely should not work and sounds dumb as hell on paper, but the family dynamic works so well.

RIP to a wonderful show that literally no one watched :smith:

I watched it on Hulu

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 3 is when I dropped it, myself. It felt like it was more about the gimmicks than the characters. 1 is probably my favorite season.

same except I watched the whole thing. It leaning too far into ridiculousness and gimmicks really killed it for me, but there are some a+ character driven episodes hidden amongst the mess.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Harmon has talked about how season 1 was him trying his best to make a normal show, and seeing how the show progress I think he's someone that really benifits from some limitations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, I get like Donald Trump vibes from her where she's got no skills but has to pretend she's perfect anyways because ego.

But she's also not super smart or good at lying so you can see it slip. At the end she's like literally "Lasagna is like, very hard to make! Well, actually, I don't think it is, but lots of people think it is. But its actually really fun and really easy.... but I guess it is a lot of steps compared to like, making Toast or something"

:psyduck: That's straight out of the DT playbook to just say "lots of people are saying this!"

Also the way she forgets the onion or garlic, but then shrugs it off with "eh I don't want onion or garlic in mine!" but then later when she puts her sunglasses on she's like "these are great when you're cutting onions!". That and she calls it her famous lasagna recipe like this is her way of making it, but then decides to skip on an ingredient this time? If this is hers then why does the recipe just not have onion then? Why would she go get onions only to not use them...

I mean I'm clearly overthinking this and need to go to bed but gah! Every step of that was awful in some way. I am the worst cook on the planet Earth, I've never learned how to cook, but I can cook a basic spaghetti or lasagna that poo poo's easy. She looks like she's never browned ground beef before. I wouldn't eat that its probably all full of bacteria.

The thing that bothers me the most, oddly, is how she's like "No tap water! Blah! You don't know what's in those sewers!" and uses bottled water. Not to add to the cooking, but so she can dampen a paper towel. To pick up salt. To throw away.
A drop of tap water ain't gonna kill you oh my god!
(And then after acknowledging that was too much salt, she adds Himalayan Salt! WHAT)

Surely on some level you must realize that this is exactly the reaction they wanted, right? Pretty much the entire online ecosystem for viral cooking videos and lifehacks is built around the fact that people are way more likely to watch and share bad ones than good ones, and Paris Hilton's entire reality TV empire was built around cynically capitalizing on all the people who want to scoff at someone acting dumb on TV so they can feel better about themselves. It's a match made in heaven.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/coherentstates/status/1222377920070479873

mmmmhmmmm

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Is there any sitcom where any season beyond the third is the best one?

Like, I guess I could see someone go to bat for a later Cheers or MASH season, but the vast majority of sitcoms are creatively exhausted by that point and either coasting with new riffs on the same old jokes or grasping for anything to keep them fresh. Like, 30 Rock remained great as it went and the quality of writing remained high, but after a few seasons it was just more of the same.

If we're counting animated shows then I think American Dad was at its best around season 4 and 5. I think being thought of as "family guy but not as good" at first helped push them harder into making it the best and craziest they could.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sleeveless posted:

Surely on some level you must realize that this is exactly the reaction they wanted, right? Pretty much the entire online ecosystem for viral cooking videos and lifehacks is built around the fact that people are way more likely to watch and share bad ones than good ones, and Paris Hilton's entire reality TV empire was built around cynically capitalizing on all the people who want to scoff at someone acting dumb on TV so they can feel better about themselves. It's a match made in heaven.

I suppose. But contrary to your point, Bon Appetite rules and like everybody I know watches them now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well look who doesn't have to play an American founding father or a Nazi America founding father and gets to use his real accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aKSIMB0PQU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

I'm working at a company that's going to launch something in the next month or two which has this functionality and much more. Gonna give everyone here and CineD a heads up when we're in open beta.
Nice!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Is there a thread for You on netflix? Can't find one and the title being an extremely common word makes it hard to google.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Metropolis posted:

Is there a thread for You on netflix? Can't find one and the title being an extremely common word makes it hard to google.
I don't know but we were talking about it in here around the time it came out so :justpost:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Going back to good post-2012 comedies, I thought of a few more that I don't see mentioned a lot.

First, Club of Crows, the first Spanish-language Netflix show, about two half-siblings working to maintain control of their father's soccer team after he dies. Despite the fact it's set in Mexico and has a (mainly) Mexican cast, the writing team was a mix of Mexican and American, which gives it a tone that's different from most other Mexican shows I've seen. I think it is really solid, but I don't know any other native English speakers who've seen it. It lasted four seasons, plus a spinoff miniseries (Ballad of Hugo Sanchez, which I would say is completely skippable) and an hourlong mockumentary (Yo Potro, which you should watch). On this topic, Sofia Niño de Rivera has a recurring role in the show and her standup specials are worth watching, too.

I will also give conditional praise to The House of Flowers, another Spanish-language Netflix show set in Mexico, this time at a family-run funeral home. I would say the tone is a mix of Arrested Development, Pushing Daisies, and Six Feet Under. I say conditional because I've only seen the first season and really loved it - I feel like it was a better successor to the original Arrested Development than the Netflix continuation - but I haven't seen the second season, which as I understand had a lot more mixed reviews. The main character (Paulina) became a big meme in Latin America for her Xanax-dosed mannerisms. Her actress was also in a couple episodes of Sense8.

I've seen Ingobernoble talked about here occasionally but not any of the Netflix Spanish comedies, so thought I'd boost the two I like.

The last one I'll boost is Comrade Detective, which I have seen discussed around here, but figure I might as well bring it up again as a good comedy show of the last few years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix has announced they're making a live action One Piece series. Which seems... weird.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

I don't know but we were talking about it in here around the time it came out so :justpost:

I wanna read, not post! I don't have much to say other than that I liked it. With the setting change in season 2 I thought I wouldn't like the new characters but they ended up growing on me. I thought it was cool that although everyone knows NYC and LA they still tried to create a song sense of place in the show and each setting feels very distinct. I would recommend You if you liked the tone and narration in Dexter but wish it did not become stupid. Although one thing You is missing is the suspense of Dexter, yeah it's there but the main character doesn't have to try very hard not to get caught most of the time, it's just sort of assumed he can stalk whoever he wants whenever he wants.

One interesting thread for the next season is Candace's threat that if she did not check in with someone every hour then compromising material on Joe would be released. She's not gonna be checking in any time soon, but at the end of the season we don't really see any hint of those consequences. I feel like if Candace was bluffing when she told Joe that she would have been like "actually that is a great idea i will set it up for real" afterwards. I did like the ending of S2 though, the fact that Joe gets his happily ever after yet can't help finding someone new to obsess over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

esperterra posted:

This is tea.

Lays chips are terrible.

I hate Lays so incredibly much. They made my favorite chips brand go out of business, and they taste like greasy kleenex.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix has announced they're making a live action One Piece series. Which seems... weird.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha, what

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember a post Lurdiak made in BSS about how not everything needs to be live action and how we don't need to see an actor horrifically stretch in live action cgi to play Plastic Man for the big screen.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Roth posted:

I remember a post Lurdiak made in BSS about how not everything needs to be live action and how we don't need to see an actor horrifically stretch in live action cgi to play Plastic Man for the big screen.

On the other hand, in an alternate universe Carrey did a Mask-style Plastic Man in 1995 instead of Batman Forever and the world was better off for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahaha, what

It is also only going to be 10 episodes which means unless they really rush they're barely going to get anywhere with the story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

After how they butchered Death Note's live action series..... yikes :(

It is also only going to be 10 episodes which means unless they really rush they're barely going to get anywhere with the story.

WHAT?

That's like, barely enough to get through Sea-King arc. IF that's the only thing you do.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I mean, it's not like Japan themselves don't love making lovely live-action anime adaptations that cram whatever's popular into a single feature-length movie so if anything a 10 episode series is a step ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Eat (food prepared by) the rich.