Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ohio State beat 6-12 Northwestern.

We're back baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Andddd Zavier Simpson is suspended for the Nebraska game. Michigan is going to lose to Nebraska, lol.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So Michigan was short two scholarship players in the coaching transition, and basically had an 8-man rotation going.

With Livers down, they're now at 7 and essentially terrible. Now playing 6 against Nebraska, a team which has lost to Northwestern, but beat Iowa and scared the poo poo out of Rutgers in their second meetup.

Not going to be a fun game, but it will be weird as gently caress watching a Michigan point guard not named Zavier Simpson running things!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
The suspension may be longer than a game, they are still reviewing the situation.

I have no idea what the situation is - the only rumor I read is too absurd to be true.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Regnevelc posted:

The suspension may be longer than a game, they are still reviewing the situation.

I have no idea what the situation is - the only rumor I read is too absurd to be true.

First I've seen that doesn't smell like bullshit:

The Athletic's Brendan Quinn posted:

No details have been released pertaining to the suspension and what’s prompting Howard to take this action. Howard said Thursday: “That’s in-house. We have team rules. Unfortunately he broke one.” Two sources told The Athletic the suspension is related to a traffic incident over the weekend in Ann Arbor. More specifics will emerge in time. What’s for sure, though, is that if Simpson is being suspended, there was a bad decision made somewhere along the line and those who are paying for it go beyond Simpson himself. The team needs its senior point guard most right now.

https://theathletic.com/1564944/2020/01/27/michigans-season-hits-a-crossroad-with-zavier-simpsons-suspension/#click=https://t.co/cCg6ei1z1o

Not great!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lmao get hosed Davidson you flopping gently caress

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

MourningView posted:

Lmao get hosed Davidson you flopping gently caress

Seconded.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Coco13 posted:

Seconded.

That was so satisfying.

For people who didn't watch Iowa completed a giant comeback and basically sealed a win when Charge Guy Brad Davidson got a flagrant foul for a hook when he tried to get around a screen with what looked like a Ric Flair low blow.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Grats on the best team Iowa's had in a very long term MV!

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
ncstateshit is a winner.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MourningView posted:

That was so satisfying.

For people who didn't watch Iowa completed a giant comeback and basically sealed a win when Charge Guy Brad Davidson got a flagrant foul for a hook when he tried to get around a screen with what looked like a Ric Flair low blow.

This sounds like the Big Tenniest game to ever Big Ten

https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/1221998987634446336

https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/1222002380537057282

BEAT STATE

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

Grats on the best team Iowa's had in a very long term MV!

I have no idea how this is true but it seems like maybe it is? I am still a little gunshy because we've had so many late season collapses under Fran and this team has zero depth.

But that was definitely a game we usually lose. We shot like poo poo, played the whole game at Wisconsin's pace, fell way behind...and somehow still pulled it out.

This is definitely a football shirt from the ISU game but whatever I'll allow it, most of the students didn't realize we still had a basketball team until like a week ago

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 28, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

So Michigan was short two scholarship players in the coaching transition, and basically had an 8-man rotation going.

With Livers down, they're now at 7 and essentially terrible. Now playing 6 against Nebraska, a team which has lost to Northwestern, but beat Iowa and scared the poo poo out of Rutgers in their second meetup.

Not going to be a fun game, but it will be weird as gently caress watching a Michigan point guard not named Zavier Simpson running things!

listen up, jerks, i'll have you know that Northwestern ALMOST beat like 5 good teams this season.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

R.D. Mangles posted:

listen up, jerks, i'll have you know that Northwestern ALMOST beat like 5 good teams this season.

Boo Buie deserves better.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

That was so satisfying.

https://twitter.com/Adamedge16/status/1222007151247360000?s=19

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Ah, the Elijah Johnson special.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

Andddd Zavier Simpson is suspended for the Nebraska game. Michigan is going to lose to Nebraska, lol.

Hoiberg is a good coach. They got RU to look as lovely as they did in OOC play, mainly by playing zone, where RU has maybe 2 guys who can shoot and beat it. Shocked no one else has tried it. Purdue is worrying, because they're a lot better than their record.

Regnevelc posted:

Pretty embarrassing to lose like that.

This team needs a talent infusion. Luckily that is coming next year.

That might be a record for moving past everything that worked during the Beilein years.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

he was just giving some tourism advice for thailand

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

When one of my friends compared Brad Davison to Grayson Allen, who beat Wisconsin for the 2015 title, nobody stood up for Davison.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Kim Jong Il posted:

That might be a record for moving past everything that worked during the Beilein years.

Michigan has 1 reliable shooter (Livers) and the only person who can consistency get to the rim has issues finishing without shooting a hook shot and said dude cannot shoot from the outside, so his lanes aren't as open as they could be. They are also awful at putting games away (this has been an issue for 3 years).

This year was going to be rough whoever the coach was, however, the Battle 4 Atlantis reshaped everyones expectations. We thought Eli Brooks was going to be good which would have opened up a lot of things or Simpson to get into the lane. Here's the shocker, Brooks isn't good.

The Big Ten is very good this year, I think this squad is mid-pack most years, but this year.. yikes!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kim Jong Il posted:

Beilein did have a poo poo year when they missed the tournament in 2014-2015, primarily because three left to the NBA, two graduated, Caris LeVert (NBA) went down with a season-ending injury, and Derrick Walton Jr (currently NBA) went down late in the year. They only went 16-16 that year. Squint and that's pretty close to this year!

Beilein teams were primarily known for good shooting. What's been so frustrating lately for Michigan folks is that Howard's offensive sets are pretty clearly generating wide-open 3s that proceed to clank off rims, backboards, or nothing at all during the Big Ten season. There has been a lot more emphasis on the post, but Michigan isn't hitting a drat thing from outside.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I think Howard is going to be really good once he has a roster that fits what he wants to do better, he runs good sets and they're recruiting has jumped up a level. Wagner has underperformed as a shooter and then Livers got hurt so no one can make a shot. Simpson has to carry way too much of the offense. Iggy going pro a year earlier than he probably should have really set them back.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I don't think Michigan is bad at all, the Big Ten is murder. I was just commenting on fan expectations. It used to be recruiting doesn't really matter (until kinda near the end), Beilein will coach them up. (This is now Rutgers, unless we get Cliff Omoruyi.) Now it's must have all the starzzz.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Guys, you will be disappointed to learn as I have that Mizzou basketball is not very good.

e: someone gave Mizzou a top 25 vote in the preseason for some reason. They were widely predicted to be 13th in the SEC, which might have been optimistic.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 29, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

I don't think Michigan is bad at all, the Big Ten is murder. I was just commenting on fan expectations. It used to be recruiting doesn't really matter (until kinda near the end), Beilein will coach them up. (This is now Rutgers, unless we get Cliff Omoruyi.) Now it's must have all the starzzz.

This year was going to be a step back even with Beilein in all likelihood. Part of the reason he left is because he was frustrated with guys jumping early. It's disappointing mostly because they overachieved early with the run through Atlantis, but even that looks worse now aside from the Gonzaga win because it turns out UNC and ISU both suck. Before that everyone figured they'd be about what they have been, and that was a before their best player got hurt. I don't know if they really need all five stars (although he's starting to get those), they just need some guys who can actually shoot and don't have that right now. They're still generating a lot of open looks.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 29, 2020

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

Guys, you will be disappointed to learn as I have that Mizzou basketball is not very good.

e: someone gave Mizzou a top 25 vote in the preseason for some reason. They were widely predicted to be 13th in the SEC, which might have been optimistic.

At the start of the year, they looked good. Their offense was always bad, but at least the defense was good. Now everything is bad. There's nothing they do well.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

At the start of the year, they looked good. Their offense was always bad, but at least the defense was good. Now everything is bad. There's nothing they do well.

On the bright side all I had to do was poo poo on them and they didn't get blown out by a bad Georgia team at home. And somehow actually won.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers is kind of running on fumes now, although part of that was Purdue got Myles Johnson in foul trouble again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Rutgers is kind of running on fumes now, although part of that was Purdue got Myles Johnson in foul trouble again.

gently caress apologizing for wins.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's not apologizing. They're just not DESTROYING teams like they were a few weeks ago.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn just won a ludicrously stupid game at Ole Miss in double OT by 1, coming back from a deficit as large as 19 in the second half. It had dumb unforced throwaways at critical moments, weird ref decisions, all the good players fouling out, a few actual well-executed plays, everything you want from a really stupid basketball game. Does nothing to dispel any of the troubling signs about Auburn playing even halfway competent opponents on the road but whatever it was fun.
https://twitter.com/JoshVitale/status/1222385310245539841

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Coach K: Old Man yells at crowd

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

kiimo posted:

Coach K: Old Man yells at crowd

Dude, you have to post it!

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1222367170006601728?s=19

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I don't understand that chant? Saying he should be in the stands because he doesn't know what he's doing? Because they want him when K goes so it's like recruiting? Am I out of touch or is it the children who are wrong?

I mean I'm a Pitt fan and love Capel but would totally understand if he went to Duke if offered the job.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not apologizing. They're just not DESTROYING teams like they were a few weeks ago.

Yeah but Purdue is a real team that has just played a bad schedule. They have good players... I didn't expect Rutgers to destroy them. I mean they are still higher than us in the Kenpom rankings....

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
A lot of that is because they destroyed Virginia early in the year. Purdue isn't a top 25 team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Schremp Howard posted:

I don't understand that chant? Saying he should be in the stands because he doesn't know what he's doing? Because they want him when K goes so it's like recruiting? Am I out of touch or is it the children who are wrong?

I mean I'm a Pitt fan and love Capel but would totally understand if he went to Duke if offered the job.

I do not want to defend Duke fans but it seems like it was just an acknowledgement that he was a Duke guy? It seems like K just misheard the chant and flipped out because he thought they were taunting Capel when it was actually pretty harmless.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

A lot of that is because they destroyed Virginia early in the year. Purdue isn't a top 25 team.

They are top 25 in the Kempom ranks. Just not the AP.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
KenPom has them as one of the unluckiest teams and they've been really bipolar. They have some awesome wins to go along with a bunch of inexcusable losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I usually blame Painter for seasons like these, but after last season I realized it was always Isaac Haas' fault so Painter is good in my book. It was always gonna be a down season anyway, just thought we'd be closer to the bubble.