Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I’ve seen better acting in a school pantomime than in this lovely thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jewel Staite and Nathan Fillion are both extremly attractive. That's about the only good thing that can be said.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Firefly was v. fun and good actually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whedon’s great skill was to toy with but ultimately respect and perpetuate the ironclad tv conventions of pre-prestige era tv. He’d toy with naming a character in the opening credits and the killing them in the first episode because doing that would be breaking the rules of tv. Yet he could never truly innovate or leave the rules behind.

He was truly made for the 90s.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I blame this for creating a new generation of irritating dorks who won’t shut up about how there should be no sound in space in every piece of sci-fi media that comes out

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
They were there long before Firefly.

I remember High School in the 90s talking about the sound in space in Star Wars, and arguments that there was clearly some system marking the movements of nearby vessels with sound in the cockpits so the pilots and gunners could use their sense of hearing as well as sight.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
The theme song may be the worst TV theme song of all time

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

The high point of Serenity is when the reaver ships show up one of them is literally an ork cruiser design stolen from battlefleet gothic

Big Dick Cheney posted:

This is also true

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the best firefly episode was the Battlestar Galactica miniseries where the ship from Firefly briefly appears in the background for half a second

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Dick Cheney posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbnTZREMEJI

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Servetus posted:

I remember High School in the 90s talking about the sound in space in Star Wars, and arguments that there was clearly some system marking the movements of nearby vessels with sound in the cockpits so the pilots and gunners could use their sense of hearing as well as sight.

the weird rear end sound design of the seismic charges in ep2 wrecks that argument imo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

I blame this for creating a new generation of irritating dorks who won’t shut up about how there should be no sound in space in every piece of sci-fi media that comes out

Hi, hello yes we existed long before Firefly. Which is one of the reasons why I will always say that people should watch Robot Jox as it's fun to watch and doesn't have sound in space.

Also I just rewatched the first ep last night after someone itt said they couldn't finish it and it was fine.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Xaris posted:

Eh, mid 90s through early 2000s TV was a loving wasteland, so it was significantly above average for 2002, but yes now that there's so much good poo poo out there it's not worth watching at all. and any holder-on fandoms are loving broke as hell

Exactly. It can't be overstated how loving terrible television was at the time and how in that context Joss Whedon could be considered a visionary rather than a tiresome hack but this show has not aged well at all and isn't worth the lamentations

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

2002 was near the height of The Sopranos, Oz was on and Enterprise was hitting its stride. The times are absolutely no excuse.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Servetus posted:

CainFortea posted:

Hi, hello yes we existed long before Firefly.

This is why I said new generation. It seemed like the show gave sci-fi fans at the time awareness of it and was one of the things the show was praised for.

Robot Jox is good though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The joke is Joss heard this and decided to copy it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

well why not posted:

2002 was near the height of The Sopranos, Oz was on and Enterprise was hitting its stride. The times are absolutely no excuse.

We didn't have HBO and the first season of Enterprise was so bad we didn't watch any follow-up seasons. Firefly was better than Enterprise s1 tho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CainFortea posted:

Hi, hello yes we existed long before Firefly. Which is one of the reasons why I will always say that people should watch Robot Jox as it's fun to watch and doesn't have sound in space.

Also I just rewatched the first ep last night after someone itt said they couldn't finish it and it was fine.

i like how the expanse plays the physics more or less straight but still has sound in space just because it's cool

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

i like how the expanse plays the physics more or less straight but still has sound in space just because it's cool

I don't. :(

I also lost interest in The Expanse after season 3 I think? Something about venus.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
the music was pretty and I have listened to the ots a few times as I do chores. Alan Tudyk is great as Wash, he's good in most everything he's in.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Big Dick Cheney posted:

:emptyquote:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The theme is whatever (It’s country which is at least novel is to me) but it’s definitely not worse than Enterprise’s theme which has the double pronged attack of being poo poo and also INSANELY catchy.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Has anyone else noticed that apart from Teen Jedi girl and Ultimate Tomboy Girl Next Door Trope, every other attractive woman in the show is a prostitute?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Has anyone else noticed that apart from Teen Jedi girl and Ultimate Tomboy Girl Next Door Trope, every other attractive woman in the show is a prostitute?

What have you got against grandmas?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CainFortea posted:

What have you got against grandmas?

How do you say "Okay Boomer" in Cantonese?

Oh I also forgot Amazonian Sidekick. I guess that's just my brain trying to do a service to Gina Torres by forgetting she was even part of this shitshow.

In fairness, her character isn't actually a terrible gender stereotype, and I can't really fault her or Wash's characters at all.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The best bit is when joss has a prostitute constantly disrespected by the hero of the show but it’s ok because he secretly loves her but it’s never resolved and her only part in the movie is considering suicide in the face of gang rape

Joss Whedon - Feminist

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When he was trying to sell people on being in Dollhouse, was he just like “it’s a lighthearted sci-fi adventure show! You play a braindead whore who sucks and fucks in every episode!”

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

dollhouse should face jumped into the whole faintly transhuman cyberpunk thing from the start instead of having so many ghastly “ladyrental of the week” eps

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It led with sci-fi horny instead of following the proud sci-fi tradition of shoehorning horny into an adventure premise.

The apocalyptic future did have Scott Farkus from Christmas Story as a main character, though.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

When he was trying to sell people on being in Dollhouse, was he just like “it’s a lighthearted sci-fi adventure show! You play a braindead whore who sucks and fucks in every episode!”

seems like a creepy guy

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

well why not posted:

The best bit is when joss has a prostitute constantly disrespected by the hero of the show but it’s ok because he secretly loves her but it’s never resolved and her only part in the movie is considering suicide in the face of gang rape

Joss Whedon - Feminist

“She doesn’t like it when I call her a WHORE,” quips the hero as she stares at him indignantly.

Yeah even back when I liked the show I thought that was awful, and it made no sense that she still stuck around anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

“She doesn’t like it when I call her a WHORE,” quips the hero as she stares at him indignantly.

Yeah even back when I liked the show I thought that was awful, and it made no sense that she still stuck around anyway.

It’s because they were secretly in love with each other. Isn’t that so sweet?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

well why not posted:

Joss Whedon - Feminist

Lol you think that’s bad:

quote:

Executive producer Tim Minear explained about one episode that Joss Whedon pitched early on:

”She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.' “

Source: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-5959794

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lmao every time I see that it's worse than I remember

how do you write such strong female characters Joss? howd you do it??

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems like somebody should look into this guy before the moneybag freaks let him make some more lovely nerd movies

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lol i forgot that he'd actually led with that story on the pitch. gently caress josh whedon

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

jesus loving christ

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

also every time i see this book on the shelves i want to kill myself:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jfc