Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What... the... gently caress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Clipperton posted:

The Baron's zooming around because he's stoked his revenge plan worked

The laughing guy is Nefud, the Harkonnen guard captain (field promotion after his predecessor got a faceful of tooth gas)

The control box plays semuta music, which Nefud is addicted to (just like he was in the book!)

Aha! I always assumed that the box was controlling the Baron's flight. Like the guy was laughing because he was making his Baron zip around like a cheap quadcopter drone.
You know what? I'm sticking with my interpretation.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still angry it exists.

What unholiness is this!?
"I know, let's make it DARK and GRITTY!!!"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yo what the gently caress.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

And the Incal gave us The Fifth Element. What I'm saying is, Dune has weirded its way into all manner of poo poo and people have no idea.

Arguably Besson took more ideas from Linda and Valentin than the Incal.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still angry it exists.

So much beautiful line work lost in ink, like tears in a toilet full of piss.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neo Rasa posted:

Also having seen Jodowsky rant about ecology and colonialism first hand, they should unironically get him to play a completely nuts version of Liet Kynes.

This is the best of all ideas.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, without context I thought the dark version looked better. But you all apparently prefer the shrill yellow nightmare world on the left??

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Libluini posted:

OK, without context I thought the dark version looked better. But you all apparently prefer the shrill yellow nightmare world on the left??

Mods?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Libluini posted:

Get some taste.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

AlternateAccount posted:

This is the best of all ideas.

For real. I want this very badly. And I feel like we're owed one, since the universe took David Bowie from us before he could play Niander Wallace in BR2049.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd rather have Jodo as Kynes' father in the desert hallucination sequence.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1222420210239574016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Because it’s been taken down from all those tweets:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DUNC

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

They've been working on Space Jam 2 this whole time :aaaaa:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Libluini posted:

Fix your eyes!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

DUNCan Idaho

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mods please change the thread name

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

⊃ u ∩ ⊂

Mods please change the thread name

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Cunc on Dune.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Grendels Dad posted:

Cunc on Dune.

Duke Paul Shitpeas.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Duke Paul Saltines.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Libluini posted:

Rather than (just) dunking on you, I'll say this: it's not (just) an issue of taste.

The colors in the original are expressionistic—they are meant to evoke particular feelings and ideas. What you interpret as a "shrill nightmare world" is an intentional effect: the figure is falling down a massive shaft toward the lower levels of the city and toward his (purported) death. He is in danger, he is anxious, and he is overwhelmed—IIRC this takes place in the middle of a chase sequence. The color fades as it moves toward the center because it makes the shaft feel never-ending, rushing toward the figure. There's a movement to the value contrast. Details are highlighted in yellow to emphasize figures and spaces amongst the cold, blue city space. The figure is colored in red, purple, and orange, colors which are absent in the rest of the image, pulling the eye toward him and also making him distinct from the background, focusing the eye on the color contrast between the two, figure and environment.

In the name of "realism," the recolored version flattens everything, reduces detail, and saps the image of all its life. It may be a bit easier on the eyes in abstract (debatably), but it loses so much more than just beauty and elegance in the process. It's like coloring King Kong, or re-grading Suspiria to be "naturalistic."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Rather than (just) dunking on you, I'll say this: it's not (just) an issue of taste.

The colors in the original are expressionistic—they are meant to evoke particular feelings and ideas. What you interpret as a "shrill nightmare world" is an intentional effect: the figure is falling down a massive shaft toward the lower levels of the city and toward his (purported) death. He is in danger, he is anxious, and he is overwhelmed—IIRC this takes place in the middle of a chase sequence. The color fades as it moves toward the center because it makes the shaft feel never-ending, rushing toward the figure. There's a movement to the value contrast. Details are highlighted in yellow to emphasize figures and spaces amongst the cold, blue city space. The figure is colored in red, purple, and orange, colors which are absent in the rest of the image, pulling the eye toward him and also making him distinct from the background, focusing the eye on the color contrast between the two, figure and environment.

In the name of "realism," the recolored version flattens everything, reduces detail, and saps the image of all its life. It may be a bit easier on the eyes in abstract (debatably), but it loses so much more than just beauty and elegance in the process. It's like coloring King Kong, or re-grading Suspiria to be "naturalistic."

Ah thanks, that makes sense. Too bad all that expressionistic evocation is wasted on me, the darker version evokes more emotion from me then the "good" one. That one leaves me cold. But then again, I never could understand all that art crap even back in school, and just used my writing skills to string stuff like what you wrote together for my essays, without really understanding or believing any of it. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You don't notice the redone one looks like every other bland comic out there?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

D U N C A C C I N O

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes, I found it used familiar color language to communicate in ways that my brain interpreted naturally. The other does not.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Was the original tweet footage or a screenshot? I'd hope "DUNC" is just, like, 90% of the way through title card's animation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

Was the original tweet footage or a screenshot? I'd hope "DUNC" is just, like, 90% of the way through title card's animation.

It was a fan made image so who knows why they did it that way.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dinosaurs! posted:

It has a lens flare for the E

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's over-stylized to the point of no longer being recognizable language but for some reason I dig it. Too bad it's a fan-made thing.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

It has a lens flare for the E

Well yeah. I was curious if that was in transition like if you paused Alien while the letters were fading in so it looked like “ALIEV”. It’s a moot point now since it turned out to be fan-made.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

In a post-Epstein Trump world, the Baron makes sense to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If it’s fan made, why the takedowns?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't read many comics, and most of those are black and white. :shrug:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rando posted:

It's over-stylized to the point of no longer being recognizable language but for some reason I dig it. Too bad it's a fan-made thing.

It's kinda elegant in its simplicity, using the same symbol for four letters. If the book were called Duen, you'd just have to turn the symbol clockwise.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

If it’s fan made, why the takedowns?

The way I read that Twitter thread was that the version without the planet/dot/lens flare was a fan-made recreation of the official logo, which did have the planet/dot/lens flare. But it seems weird that the background would be so easily recreated so quickly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's probably a photo of an actual sand dune somewhere in North Africa or something. They don't move too fast, you could probably find it on Google Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mcs212/status/1222845353600438272