Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

alnilam posted:

Honestly learning your native language is super implicit and by the time you're learning to read, you're already fine at speaking so you're just learning to correlate letters to the words you already know, then you (mostly subconsciously but sometimes they are explicitly taught too) pick up on patterns that help you figure out unknown words in the future, but it all begins with knowing how to speak which you learn just by existing as a young child among the language.

this but i don't think you have to be a literal child, showing up and needing to speak/read it to do things is how i learned child-level spanish. you learn something and build from there, if anything it's a little easier cause those patterns hold across languages a LOT more than people think so you've got a foundation already. english/spanish/french at least are super similar, probably not if you're trying for perfect grammar but enough that you can usually understand/be understood if you try

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Got an email from my prostate today. Pretty interesting.

So bigger than a mandarin orange but smaller than a cantaloupe if you're curious. I'll add that I believe it's more spiny than a durian but less spiny than a pineapple.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

owlhawk911

my prostate is the size, texture, and flavour of a large juicy grape

alnilam

owlhawk911 posted:

this but i don't think you have to be a literal child, showing up and needing to speak/read it to do things is how i learned child-level spanish. you learn something and build from there, if anything it's a little easier cause those patterns hold across languages a LOT more than people think so you've got a foundation already. english/spanish/french at least are super similar, probably not if you're trying for perfect grammar but enough that you can usually understand/be understood if you try

I'm talking about learning your native language(s) which is fundamentally different from learning additional languages, which is also very cool and good

Manifisto

my prostate is three small prostates in a trenchcoat

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Jolo posted:

Got an email from my prostate today. Pretty interesting.

So bigger than a mandarin orange but smaller than a cantaloupe if you're curious. I'll add that I believe it's more spiny than a durian but less spiny than a pineapple.

What are you going to say back to your prostate?

Heather Papps

hello friend

that reminds me to check my spam filter, i've been waiting for an email from my kidney

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

owlhawk911

alnilam posted:

I'm talking about learning your native language(s) which is fundamentally different from learning additional languages, which is also very cool and good

what do you think is different about it?

alnilam

owlhawk911 posted:

what do you think is different about it?

There is an entire field of linguistics dedicated to answering this question, the answer is a lot but what exactly the differences are is an active area of research afaik

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

Honestly learning your native language is super implicit and by the time you're learning to read, you're already fine at speaking so you're just learning to correlate letters to the words you already know, then you (mostly subconsciously but sometimes they are explicitly taught too) pick up on patterns that help you figure out unknown words in the future, but it all begins with knowing how to speak which you learn just by existing as a young child among the language.

Fun With Phonics

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Jolo

alnilam posted:

What are you going to say back to your prostate?

"PROVE IT"

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXc-_hxRXlo
my folks used "sing spell read and write" which i guess is some in home education package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2k8xYMWMDc

i haven't heard these songs in forever but they are harmonizing with deep memories and feelings

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie
Morning gang. I'm currently sitting in a jury pool, awaiting further instructions at 9. Please send help =/

Heather Papps

hello friend

okiedoke posted:

Morning gang. I'm currently sitting in a jury pool, awaiting further instructions at 9. Please send help =/

on my way

Heather Papps

hello friend

okiedoke posted:

sitting in a jury pool,

im bringing beer and some pool noodles this is gonna be fun

okiedoke

Thanks HP!

Jolo

When I was waiting in the jury pool alnilam made me an idiot king, so maybe you'll become more powerful soon.

Manifisto

okiedoke posted:

if you get into the voir dire please work "hurf de durf" into your responses

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Lawyer: alright ppl we are now entering the voir dire phase

Okiedoke: umm will this be hard or soft vore? I'm going to need to call my SO about this

Manifisto

lawyer: is there any reason you would not be able to serve as an impartial juror?

okiedoke (thinking furiously): about the only thing I can think of is if butttheshitmanfart posts in byob, if that happens I will lose my poo poo

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

what do you consider the original sound of the letter r? I think we pronounce the rs in "kindergarten" in basically the german way, or do we not? that kind of r sound is not uncommon in english. what's weird to us is the french r that sounds like you're clearing your throat (as in "tres") and the rolling rs like in spanish (as in "perrito") that sounds impossibly flamboyant

It depends on the language, of course, and there is no "natural" way, so I was just exaggerating there, but most Germanic languages (which is an enormous range and covers almost every language in the world anyways) tend to speak the R either in a rather rolling fashion, like in italian ("Pronto!") which is also how in Latin it originally was pronounced and thus probably the root for many languages from there, or the throat-based sound like in French or German, like "Trés" in your example or perhaps "Rind" (cow) in German. English reduced this sound entirely to this uhm I honestly have no idea how linguists describe it, but you know what I mean, the usual English R.
That is super strange for a non-native to learn, because almost every other language I ever heard has some form of this "typical" R sound, while English does not. I know some other languages also reduced or rather changed the sound from the (probably) original tongue-based rolling to a throat-based sound and the step from there to the reduction to the also throat-based.. I'd say voice-based R isn't too far off either, so it might be a development that at some point more languages might share.

alnilam posted:

Yeah that's true. I cannot remember how I learned German but I remember how I was taught to read in Kindergarten and it appeared so weird to write stuff like that in the first place. The reason why I found written English so much harder to learn than other languages is probably because at that time when I was taught to write, it is common to do it by a very pronunciation-based setup: The letter "B" in English is pronounced like a "bee", but not used like that in a word, so instead we learned that "adults call it bee, but we do it just like a b", so as if you would say butt without the utt and not falling back to a bee (jesus describing that in writing is so awkward, sorry).
Anyways when you go through the German alphabet like that, you can then use the generated sounds to build every natively German word, except foreign ones, which is very intuitive. I tried to do the same in English and was frustrated with failure and it took me years to learn how to pronounce English words due to that.

That's by the way also a good reason for ze typical German accent we have for you guys, as it appears a lot more natural to read a word literally how it is spelled.
Hintern or Arsch by the way the German word for butt, in case you weren't aware, as it's very important to know that.

Because of butts.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

lawyer: is there any reason you would not be able to serve as an impartial juror?

okiedoke (thinking furiously): about the only thing I can think of is if butttheshitmanfart posts in byob, if that happens I will lose my poo poo

Goons Are Gifts

I secured the rolling cat loot from GBS in the byob goldmine along with a few other threads, check our latest byob heist stories out

biosterous

Goons Are Great posted:

Anyways when you go through the German alphabet like that, you can then use the generated sounds to build every natively German word, except foreign ones, which is very intuitive. I tried to do the same in English and was frustrated with failure and it took me years to learn how to pronounce English words due to that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthographic_depth
german has shallow orthographic depth and english has deep orthographic depth. i appreciated this when i was learning german! much easier to get at least close to the right pronunciation.

also english is a mega bastard language with all kinds of dumb exceptions for pronunciation! i'm glad i didn't have to try and learn english later in life, it seems like it would be really annoying

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Arschensetzer: das ist mein.

Manifisto

biosterous posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthographic_depth
german has shallow orthographic depth and english has deep orthographic depth. i appreciated this when i was learning german! much easier to get at least close to the right pronunciation.

also english is a mega bastard language with all kinds of dumb exceptions for pronunciation! i'm glad i didn't have to try and learn english later in life, it seems like it would be really annoying

at least it's not a tonal language, that sounds really intimidating (if you grew up with only non-tonal ones)

ty nesamdoom!

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

alnilam posted:

Lawyer: alright ppl we are now entering the voir dire phase

Okiedoke: umm will this be hard or soft vore? I'm going to need to call my SO about this

haha

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
*glances nervously at the reshiram in the jury box*

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

biosterous posted:

English is a good language for writing, because it has relatively few weird special cases for that (due to e.g. not gendering most verbs, and even when it does, not arbitrarily gendering nouns so it's easy to know which gender to use) and a small alphabet, and for the same reasons it's a good language for speaking, but it's an awful language for the intersection of its written and spoken words because mapping the writing to the pronunciation is ridiculous.
Rough rouge cough plough rogue tongue.

Edit: Webster had a good idea with colour=>color, but should've gone whole hog, ruf rooj cof plow roeg tung.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 29, 2020

Manifisto

I assume everyone is familiar with the following (attributed to Mark Twain), but just in case:

quote:

A Plan for the Improvement of Spelling in the English Language

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter “c” would be dropped to be replased either by “k” or “s”, and likewise “x” would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which “c” would be retained would be the “ch” formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform “w” spelling, so that “which” and “one” would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish “y” replasing it with “i” and iear 4 might fiks the “g/j” anomali wonse and for all.

Generally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeiniing voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez “c”, “y” and “x”—bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez —tu riplais “ch”, “sh”, and “th” rispektivili.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Dr. Seuss "The Tough Coughs As He Ploughs the Dough"

Jolo

Manifisto posted:

I assume everyone is familiar with the following (attributed to Mark Twain), but just in case:

I'd never seen this before, it's neat.

owlhawk911

xcheopis posted:

Dr. Seuss "The Tough Coughs As He Ploughs the Dough"

the tuff coffs as he plows the doe

okiedoke

Didn't get picked so couldn't stun the crowd with a cool SA reference. Their loss really.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

okiedoke posted:

Didn't get picked so couldn't stun the crowd with a cool SA reference. Their loss really.

hahaha, "loss", a classic

alnilam

*okiedoke pacing around in front of the witness stand like a lawyer getting towards a crazy shocking point* do you or do you not have stairs in your house, and may I remind you you are under oath!

Judge: will the juror please be seated, this is not how trials work

Defendant: i am protected

Audience gasps

Judge: ... Proceed

Manifisto

"well in answer to your question, judge" *undoes belt* "please make note of the ring" *points to finger*

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

alnilam posted:

*okiedoke pacing around in front of the witness stand like a lawyer getting towards a crazy shocking point* do you or do you not have stairs in your house, and may I remind you you are under oath!

Judge: will the juror please be seated, this is not how trials work

Defendant: i am protected

Audience gasps

Judge: ... Proceed

:negative:

ChubbyChecker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

"Smokem if u gotem" - civil authorities