Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

My poo poo is on fire too.

Incidentally, it was also Monster Hunter that pushed my temps the highest out of all the games I tried.

OhFunny posted:

80C+ seems a little high. I played a few rounds of BF2 Starfighter mode and hit 71C, but there are more intensive CPU games so that might be as normal Zen 2 does run hot.

Is Game Boost or whatever non-MSI equivalent turned on in BIOS? That pushed my AMD 3600 right past it's safety temp and it shut down. That was crunching WCG tasks and not games, but still pushing the CPU right to 4.2 at all times isn't good.

I'd also check the fan curve in BIOS. Mine was stuck at 100% fan speed until I reset the settings. Yours might be on the low side.

hmm. It's winter here where I am, but idle temps are in the mid-30s to low-40s. I'd definitely make sure Game Boost or whatever else it's called isn't on in the BIOS.

Edit: Running CPU-Z's CPU stress test pushes the temp to 78C with the stock cooler. Big difference being I am in a room at 22C.

I checked and it wasn't, I had only enabled XMP for my RAM but just in case I reset everything to default before re-enabling XMP. I also looked up Ryzen recommended BIOS settings and discovered AMD's Cool & Quiet is apparently disabled if you leave it to the default Auto settings? So I enabled that manually just in case.

I guess one or the other helped because Monster Hunter was running at 70-75 degrees most of the time, unlike the constant 80+ before. Cinebench returned about the same results pre and post changes (pushing temps up to 89 on both occasions) so I guess performance didn't suffer. After that and since I also read that enabling Global C-state control is a good idea since it helps lower temps on idle, I tried that too. It did seem to help keep idle voltage lower but I realized it's probably a bad idea to enable too many things at once without extensive testing so I disabled it again.

I guess I fixed it? Somehow? Maybe the thermal past cured or something too. It HAD been less than 24 hours since I put this thing together. I dunno, I'll have to keep an eye out.

Edit:

quote:

Edit: Running CPU-Z's CPU stress test pushes the temp to 78C with the stock cooler. Big difference being I am in a room at 22C.

Mine reaches 86 degrees with CPU-Z's stress test and we are supposed to be at 11 degrees ambient. I think my mobo might be trying to overvolt things a little bit? These are default settings:

But whatever, I'll look into that later once weather warms up. It might be a fan curve thing too or something. Computers are hard.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So what's the best way to stream Steam games to my TV nowadays? I have an old physical Steam Link, but either or doesn't like my current WiFi or it doesn't like my current computer. I have the PC plugged straight into the modem, but I'm not able to plug the steam link into it due to my apartments layout so I've been using the WiFi. But I tested it out earlier with Bioshock Infinite and the lost connection icon basically never left the screen. I have a Roku so I can't use the Steam Link app on the TV directly. Just for shits and giggles I bounced Steam to my phone via the app and then cast the phone screen to my Chromecast just to see how laggy it would be. It was surprisingly better than the physical Steam Link, but still nowhere near playable (not that I expected that to be).

I'm thinking I may just run a long as hell HDMI cable from my PC to my TV and just use a Bluetooth controller, but I didn't know if there were any other options. I haven't had a decent PC in about three years so I'm behind the times.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Run ethernet from the steam link to the router/modem and you'll be golden

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Det_no posted:

Incidentally, it was also Monster Hunter that pushed my temps the highest out of all the games I tried.

I checked and it wasn't, I had only enabled XMP for my RAM but just in case I reset everything to default before re-enabling XMP. I also looked up Ryzen recommended BIOS settings and discovered AMD's Cool & Quiet is apparently disabled if you leave it to the default Auto settings? So I enabled that manually just in case.

I guess one or the other helped because Monster Hunter was running at 70-75 degrees most of the time, unlike the constant 80+ before. Cinebench returned about the same results pre and post changes (pushing temps up to 89 on both occasions) so I guess performance didn't suffer. After that and since I also read that enabling Global C-state control is a good idea since it helps lower temps on idle, I tried that too. It did seem to help keep idle voltage lower but I realized it's probably a bad idea to enable too many things at once without extensive testing so I disabled it again.

I guess I fixed it? Somehow? Maybe the thermal past cured or something too. It HAD been less than 24 hours since I put this thing together. I dunno, I'll have to keep an eye out.

Edit:

Mine reaches 86 degrees with CPU-Z's stress test and we are supposed to be at 11 degrees ambient. I think my mobo might be trying to overvolt things a little bit? These are default settings:

But whatever, I'll look into that later once weather warms up. It might be a fan curve thing too or something. Computers are hard.

1.47V core voltage is insane, try the stock settings. No idea what MSI would call them though.
If you see something with Overdrive in the name, turn it off too.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

sauer kraut posted:

1.47V core voltage is insane, try the stock settings. No idea what MSI would call them though.

That is the stock setting. My Asus mobo has it at similar voltage by default as well and AMD thread tells it's normal.

I had my 3700x undervolted to 1.3v since August when I got it and few days ago I decided to try the stock voltage to see if this is related to random system freezes. It wasn't.

It was much much cooler and thus quieter overall at lower voltage, so I will return to that setting today. Kinda afraid of the "clock stretching" feature but who cares, I will never notice it.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 29, 2020

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New Ryzens run hot. Just accept it or you'll spend more time obsessing over CPU temps than enjoying your games.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I'm glad it has a 3 year warranty. Everything should be fine for as long as I'm not fully carbonized when it inevitably explodes into a fireball two miles high. :buddy:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Det_no posted:

This is kinda the PC gaming thread so, can anyone playing on a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler tell me about their temperatures? It feels like this thing gets crazy hot, like 80+ degrees celcius, but I want to make sure whether or not it is normal before I try fiddling with reseating the heatsink.

I have a 2600 and found with the stock cooler it also ran quite hot. The temps were apparently normal but it caused the fans to spin up a lot and was quite noisy. Replaced it with an Artic Freezer and it's fine now and runs a lot cooler.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
The wraith stealth cooler on the Ryzen 3600 is inadequate as the processor is essentially a 3600X, which is rated at 95W, but the cooler is only for 65W. The stock cooler is good enough to stop full on throttling but you won't get the expected performance with it if you're pushing the cores. Those 80C temps under load are about right with the stealth if you're worried about it not being seated properly.

If you just want to stop the temps and not concerned with overclocking (there's very little real world overclocking performance with them) then a Hyper 212 or something in that range is going to solve your problem.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I guess it's not that weird then. I might buy a new cooler around June when things start getting hot but for now I'll prioritize a Windows 10 key. New install decided my original upgrade key wasn't good enough or something. Thanks guys.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, thanks for the Ryzen talk. One of my friends is travelling to the States in a couple months, I'll ask them to bring over the Evo 212 "adapter" for AM4 and just install that.

I'll try to avoid MonHun during the hotter summer days in the meanwhile. :v:

/edit: oh poo poo, almost forgot. Det_no, it seems MonHun is having some issues with CPU usage after Iceborne dropped, something about DRM making Windows antivirus freak out or something.

Someone recommended I use Stracker's Loader and it has dropped my CPU usage from ~90% to ~40%, maybe give it a try?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 29, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, thanks for the Ryzen talk. One of my friends is travelling to the States in a couple months, I'll ask them to bring over the Evo 212 "adapter" for AM4 and just install that.

I'll try to avoid MonHun during the hotter summer days in the meanwhile. :v:

/edit: oh poo poo, almost forgot. Det_no, it seems MonHun is having some issues with CPU usage after Iceborne dropped, something about DRM making Windows antivirus freak out or something.

Someone recommended I use Stracker's Loader and it has dropped my CPU usage from ~90% to ~40%, maybe give it a try?

Nice. Yeah, the performances problems with Iceborne was the last straw that pushed me to upgrade my rig in the first place. I do want to use mods again too but I'm a little worried Capcom might try banning some people to make an example.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Det_no posted:

Nice. Yeah, the performances problems with Iceborne was the last straw that pushed me to upgrade my rig in the first place. I do want to use mods again too but I'm a little worried Capcom might try banning some people to make an example.

Nobody has ever been banned from a Capcom game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Was browsing the Recently Updated list and came across this game.

Here's their latest announcement:

quote:

In celebration of WTC 1 being one year old, I've started updating the graphics on the Steam page, with an eye to update the story properly later in the year as previously mentioned.

There are various graphics I want to add, specifically for the Idiot's Guide DLC, which will hopefully be added without any problems.

I must admit, this episode hasn't had the attention that others have had, unfortunately, so hopefully, that will be rectified with the update.

Attention? Hmm, let's see what the user revi-... oh.

Also absolutely zero activity in the discussions. Nobody played this. Zero.

I do not know the dev and have no idea if the game is good or not, but seeing this makes me feel a little :smith:.

Steam algorithms, huh?

EDIT: I posted this in a bit of a hurry but there apparently are user reviews if you scroll down, I'm dumb. Though most are negative... so yeah, this is yet another terrible landfill entry.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 29, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what exactly makes you look at that image and the associated text and wonder if the game is any good or not

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everything on Steam is crap until proven otherwise.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm preemptively declaring "grendel jinx" the new "cherry venus"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

The two patches for iceborne so far have dropped my cpu from 75% to 40% so this might not be needed anymore

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The two patches for iceborne so far have dropped my cpu from 75% to 40% so this might not be needed anymore

In the latest patch Capcom straight up disabled those CPU heavy threads that you needed the loader for before

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ErrEff posted:

Was browsing the Recently Updated list and came across this game.

Here's their latest announcement:

Attention? Hmm, let's see what the user revi-... oh.

Also absolutely zero activity in the discussions. Nobody played this. Zero.

I do not know the dev and have no idea if the game is good or not, but seeing this makes me feel a little :smith:.

Steam algorithms, huh?

This is their Patreon if you want to feel more depressed. https://www.patreon.com/triority

Honestly, the game looks crap, but I do feel :smith: too when I see someone spent their time doing a thing and never finding their audience, no matter how niche.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Good to know, I'll give it a try today.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

With Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3!? releasing today (and the first two games hugely discounted), I thought this week would be a good time for me to finally get into the entire trilogy. So I've been playing a bunch of the original Cook, Serve, Delicious! and finding what works and what doesn't about fantasy food services.

When I think of management games, it’s usually with a relaxed sigh and a dreamy grin. I love management sims because they’re often wonderfully chill, allowing me to build trade empires or airports or feudal villages at my leisure. So imagine me sitting there with my dopey, lazy grin on my face when Cook, Serve, Delicious! comes out from the back, kicks me in the shins, and orders me back into the kitchen. It’s like the developers tried as hard as they could to capture the soul-crushing stress of running an actual restaurant, and by some miracle crammed it into a game alongside a heapin’ helping of fun and plenty of heart.

SherriSoda Tower has fallen on hard times, and many of its premier businesses and restaurants have closed their doors for good. But the management has decided to come roaring back by reviving the old Cook, Serve, Delicious! restaurant, and they’ve put you in charge of this lofty endeavor. To do that, you’ll have manage the whole joint yourself, from setting the menu to working the kitchen to serving the meals to running the chores to investing your earnings, and I’m sure I’m forgetting something in there. It’s you against an army of the tower’s hungriest visitors every day, and you will be judged harshly on your choice of offerings and how well you prepare them. Survive the scrutiny, and maybe a few catering gigs, television appearances, and robberies along the way, and you might just have a five-star restaurant to your name some day.

Before we delve into the many distractions from your culinary quest, let’s break down exactly what you’re doing here and why it’ll make you sweat. Each day, your restaurant operates from 8am to 10pm, which passes in a few minutes of real time. You have a number of serving stations, depending on the rank of your restaurant, that orders will come in on. Each order will be something on your active menu, and will require you to complete some small button-based task. It could be as easy as pressing C and R to put cheese and ranch on a salad, or as complex as selecting and chopping five different vegetables for your soup. You’ll also have chores to do like dishes and trash, and none of these tasks will wait around for long. Add to that the lunch and dinner rushes where all of your stations will be constantly full, and maybe you can see where the stress begins.

I want to make two things abundantly clear: CSD is really fun, and CSD is really stressful. The fun comes from learning how all your recipes work, how to slice fish and tenderize steaks and deep fry sopapillas with just a few swift key presses. When you get into a groove you feel amazing, like some kind of culinary demigod weaving together the chaotic threads of food services. And then you put the wrong layer on your lasagna, lose your combo, and panic. You need focus and practice to be good at CSD, and until you build those skills you’re going to be sweating through every rush. It doesn’t help that the stakes can be great here, like hundreds of dollars riding on rewards and randomized bets that you can keep a perfect combo going all day. And while not stressful, the management side of the game has serious pacing issues where you can complete all the requirements for your next star, except you still have to complete 15 more days of the same routine just because.

The main antagonist of the game is the grind, because you’ll most likely complete your challenges and even save up some decent cash for upgrades way before you meet the days passed requirement to progress. Buying new foods to serve or upgrading them for more lucrative and complex dishes helps, but some of the upgrades are terribly expensive and foods have a dizzying number of status effects that influence your buzz, meaning your actual menu selections will be artificially limited. On the bright side, the developers did add plenty of additional modes over time to entertain you if the business side gets you down. There’s a whole Iron Chef knockoff that offers multiplayer and online challenges, allowing you to experience more of the menu and some peak prep pressure. And it’s worth mentioning that the in-game email system and little snippets of story and worldbuilding you get here and there are surprisingly well done and worth your attention.

In the end, Cook, Serve, Delicious! is a load of great gameplay tied to some middling management. There’s not much out there like preparing a soda or a pizza here, dancing your fingers across the keys to offer up piping hot plates. But if you want to work your way through the game proper, you’re going to be stuck doing the same thing for hours upon hours, and even the most fun simulations can get tedious if they’re not offering much new along the way. The ways your menu and upgrades are limited only exacerbate the problem, though there are other modes you can escape to for relief. And you’ll need relief, because as much fun as this one is, it’s bound to stress you out at points. It’s a good, rewarding stress though, and something that you owe it to yourself to try.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

My 3700x runs below 70°C at all times with the stock... Cooler still sucks though, since it's loud. Shouldn't have trusted the Wraith reviews :/

The cooling profiles are determined by the board though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ZearothK posted:

This is their Patreon if you want to feel more depressed. https://www.patreon.com/triority

Honestly, the game looks crap, but I do feel :smith: too when I see someone spent their time doing a thing and never finding their audience, no matter how niche.

I remember watching someone play a terrible game called Crying is not Enough and it was a good time until right at the end when the devs put a message after the credits that reminded me “Oh yeah, actual people made this game and they probably aren’t horrible.”

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

haldolium posted:

My 3700x runs below 70°C at all times with the stock... Cooler still sucks though, since it's loud. Shouldn't have trusted the Wraith reviews :/
Yeah, holy gently caress do I ever regret not getting a new cooler when I put my system together, this thing is annoyingly loud. I guess nothing stopping me from ordering one now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Too Shy Guy posted:

With Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3!? releasing today

Awwhhh what the gently caress that game comes out today? :psyduck:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

doctorthefonz posted:

Run ethernet from the steam link to the router/modem and you'll be golden

Nah, unfortunately that won't work with my apartment. The modem is about as far from my TV as possible, but my computer tower is about halfway between the two. Honestly it would be easier to just get a longer HDMI cable than to plug in the steam link. I just didn't know if there was anything else that would work decently over the wifi. But it's no biggie, I was just curious.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Awwhhh what the gently caress that game comes out today? :psyduck:

It’s out now, in fact.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It sounds like the dev learned his lesson from the problems with CSD2 and I'm excited to play but I can't buy it until I get my next check and I refuse to pause my ffxiv sub.

The life of a gamer is so hard

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

It sounds like the dev learned his lesson from the problems with CSD2 and I'm excited to play but I can't buy it until I get my next check and I refuse to pause my ffxiv sub.

The life of a gamer is so hard

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. The restaurant campaign in CSD2 didn't hold my attention and the "Create your own" restaurant felt way too open ended to keep me interested for that long. The gimmick for this one sounded weird at first but after seeing it in action I can't wait to try it out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played the starting hour of Wolcen, but waiting for the full release to dig deeper. It's cool! It kind of mixes standard ARPG mechanics with very light character action ones, so the combat relies more on movement and timing than your Diablos and Paths of Exile. In fact, like that other dude a while back said, it really feels like a midpoint between the two, with a simpler version of the latter's skill tree and the former's flashier combat and overall look. Actually one thing I'm impressed by is its overall polish, considering its fairly small team and its original (admittedly now very old) kickstarter gameplay. On that note, it is clear that it's diverged greatly from its original pitch, no longer being an open-world game and seemingly having abandoned its ambitious environmental interactions. But, c'est la vie, still seems real promising if you just wann hack and slash!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. The restaurant campaign in CSD2 didn't hold my attention and the "Create your own" restaurant felt way too open ended to keep me interested for that long. The gimmick for this one sounded weird at first but after seeing it in action I can't wait to try it out.

I'm a few levels in and CSD3 seems to rectify these issues from the last one which were pretty much the biggest problems I had with it. Now it's very similar to the first in that there's one game mode and you're upgrading your truck/menu as you progress. The food truck thing makes you cater your meal for each stop and hit a certain level of complexity as well. This sorta forces you to use stuff you're not comfortable with making quickly sometimes which is good. I like that this setting is the logical conclusion to the weird background text in the last two games that you'd only see by going out of your way to read the emails and food descriptions that hinted at the world slowly going to poo poo outside of your restaurant.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Anyone check out Coffee Talk yet? It looks like Valhalla (whatever weird spelling they use for it) but with coffee and elves which sounds like my jam.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I put a couple hours into Cook Serve Delicious 3 and yeah, this fixed a lot of the problems I had with CSD2. Progression is very clear, with a worldmap acting as a task checklist. Every level locks you to a different set of keywords that filter the imposing food list down to a manageable selection, and the difficulty of each food is clearly displayed, so selection paralysis is completely gone and it's easier to balance your menu between easy and hard foods (most levels have a difficulty threshold you need to cross).

I don't think I realized just how different the gameflow would be. It's fairly relaxed while the truck is driving; regular orders don't time out and you can see exactly how many holding station foods people want, letting you prepare ahead of time. Then the truck parks and opens, and it's just nuts, since there's a whole line of people with no interruptions, and they have very little chill. However, with the press of a button you can have your robot companion automatically serve every single food that's ready to go, so you're just plowing through entire lines of orders in seconds. Holding station orders will actually bounce back from expiring two times, but only if a holding station actually has that food, so keeping the holding stations from running low is vital. On top of all that, the intensity phases are no longer determined by consistently timed rush hours but by the time it takes to drive to the next stop, so every level can vary drastically. One level was extremely intense but only 2 stops long, one just kept going for 5 stops and I was agonizing over when it would end. It's crazy and really fun when you barely keep things from falling apart.

Also, to save anyone grief, some foods have what seems like nonsensical key commands but you need to pay attention to what you're actually typing (S-N-D-W-C-H for the Grilled Cheese Sandwich).

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 30, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jagged Jim posted:

Anyone check out Coffee Talk yet? It looks like Valhalla (whatever weird spelling they use for it) but with coffee and elves which sounds like my jam.

I wonder if this one will have a good character, or things actually happening

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 30, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is there a Temtem thread yet? Or anyone here played it yet?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Communist Bear posted:

Is there a Temtem thread yet? Or anyone here played it yet?

its pokemon but less charming
e: i refunded it after about 90 minutes. It's just the same grinding and rock/paper/scissors, but instead of a psyduck you get....a duck with a shell strapped to its head and instead of squirtle you get...not squirtle. etc.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm waiting until Temtem is 1.0. I want the monster variety in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody has ever been banned from a Capcom game.

Installing a Trojan on all players' machines: cool and good.

Banning someone: going too far.