Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Cave Story creator apparently got swindled out of all the rights to his own game by the Japanese publisher.

Yeah, Nicalis are infamous for that among other things. It happened to the creator of Knytt as well apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Cave Story creator apparently got swindled out of all the rights to his own game by the Japanese publisher.

Nicalis is an American company; IIRC he signed an English language contract in spite of not being fluent in English. Given that multiple developers have gotten vocally pissed off about Nicalis's treatment of them I'm gonna go ahead and guess the contract wasn't presented in good faith :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arivia posted:

He was that guy. He left like four years ago.
Huh. Shows when I stopped paying attention to PA. (it was actually earlier than that when I stopped caring but whatever)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's Kotaku, but this is a pretty decent article on Nicalis.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If we had the penny arcade deets and they were goons, that would be a hell of a saga.

They apparently sold all the rights to their comic by accident, then when they first hired Robert he got them back for some pittance of money eventually, and have since claimed he's stopped them from accidentally doing it again multiple times. Which like, sure, humorous exaggeration, but it's probably actually true given that it happened once.
If you're talking about the eFront days, SA was caught up in that mess at the same time. Sam Jain went on to invent ransomware and scamware and is wanted by the FBI.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, it's not like artists and writers getting swindled out of their own creations by moneymen is anything resembling a new or unique story.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This came up in the Kobe thread

Bip Roberts posted:

The DJ Khalid police chase/suicide was an all-time SA epic thread.

anyone got a link to the thread in question?

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the chris dorner thread was amazing to live through in real time. some of the goons had access to scanners so the thread was way ahead of the news. for a few wild minutes after the cabin was set on fire, the report through the scanner was that dorner had escaped "on horseback" and everybody went wild

it's the stupidest thing in the world but i remember losing my poo poo when someone said "dorner emerges naked from the flames with a baby horse on each shoulder and a third suckling at his breast"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

hallelujah posted:

the chris dorner thread was amazing to live through in real time. some of the goons had access to scanners so the thread was way ahead of the news. for a few wild minutes after the cabin was set on fire, the report through the scanner was that dorner had escaped "on horseback" and everybody went wild

it's the stupidest thing in the world but i remember losing my poo poo when someone said "dorner emerges naked from the flames with a baby horse on each shoulder and a third suckling at his breast"

A link to this thread would also be appreciated. :stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hallelujah posted:

I miss the days of there being a poo poo million goons with scanners reporting on events live. I was living in MA when the Boston bombing happened and that thread would reliably drop news half an hour before CNN did.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I miss the days of there being a poo poo million goons with scanners reporting on events live. I was living in MA when the Boston bombing happened and that thread would reliably drop news half an hour before CNN did.

I have a feeling that a part of that was because a goon was good friends with one of the families affected by the bombing, so he was extra-invested in what was going on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Polaron posted:

I have a feeling that a part of that was because a goon was good friends with one of the families affected by the bombing, so he was extra-invested in what was going on.

He wasn’t the one with the scanner, if I remember right. When everything had just happened there were a few goons with the police frequencies that were giving really accurate information well ahead of the news. Hell, I found out about the hostage escaping the bombers before my brother did, and that happened like 200 feet from his front door.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I miss the news feed side of GBS a lot to be honest. They really should allow or set up a sub forum just for stuff like that.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I miss the news feed side of GBS a lot to be honest. They really should allow or set up a sub forum just for stuff like that.

You should honestly make a post about that in qcs. A current events forum would be awesome

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

He wasn’t the one with the scanner, if I remember right. When everything had just happened there were a few goons with the police frequencies that were giving really accurate information well ahead of the news. Hell, I found out about the hostage escaping the bombers before my brother did, and that happened like 200 feet from his front door.

There were police scanners streaming live via the Internet.

At one point the dispatcher directed perimeter officers to do something, but everyone heard it as “perimeter lobsters” in a thick Boston accent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

There were police scanners streaming live via the Internet.

At one point the dispatcher directed perimeter officers to do something, but everyone heard it as “perimeter lobsters” in a thick Boston accent.

I was glued to one of the live-streaming ones later on during the manhunt thing, but early on I didn’t have a working link so the goon posts kept me informed. I was at a bar when it first went down and the people around me kept asking for updates since the thread had me consistently 15-20 minutes ahead of CNN.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hanging out with the Malheur Bird Sanctuary guys on stream was pretty cool

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Araenna posted:

You should honestly make a post about that in qcs. A current events forum would be awesome

I'll second that. Goons have always been great as far as boots on the ground reporting. When I lived in a hurricane-prone area, the Hurricane Hoedown threads were invaluable sources of info and coverage. And even though I'm out of that part of the state now, they keep me informed on the situation in Florida, where my father lives.

Current events/breaking news threads are also nice because unlike most news websites, I'm not bombarded with "LOOKS LIKE YOUR USING AN AD-BLOCKER" pop-ups, lag time as some unnecessary fluff video autoloads and starts blaring at me, or is behind a subscription paywall.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah that is a part of old GBS that I miss too.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Solice Kirsk posted:

This

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think reallowing it in GBS would work better than a sub forum- sub forum traffic is a lot lower most of the time, and part of why the old GBS threads were so great is the huge crowd they would draw, from locals to people with experience with whatever weird poo poo is going on. Some ground rules like “only current events that are major and ongoing” would help cut down on making a million threads about every news article. I mean, if GBS can have two spicy butthole threads in a month I don’t think it’s overboard to have some current events threads about major disasters and crazy manhunts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just sharing my personal idea, but maybe the new subforum can be called Current Events.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

“only current events that are major and ongoing”

Threads like that still happen, though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fatbanana posted:

This is Fatbanana I was recently kicked from guild and banned from discord because I fled the USA to the EU because I got raided by the DEA I was not selling drugs or doing anything wrong I was growing cannabis I was held on a probable cause hold for 36 hours and since they did not get the test results from the BCA for the amount of THC in time they had to release me again I do not think I did anything wrong and do not think I deserved to be kicked/banned for "growing some pot" maybe you assumed it was something else more serious it really was not the police found 27 waist high plants in my home they took all my grow equipment and trashed my house and destroyed my ring cameras I am very disappointed that this decision was made by goons I had no idea that Goon Squad was anti cannabis but Martin Luther King once said if a law is unjust it is our duty to break it. I am a medical patient but they charge way too much for my medicine so I decided to grow my own medicine I am also a student at THC University so one could argue I was growing for academic research also. I really liked playing with all of you and truly regret this decision you made to kick

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Platystemon posted:

Threads like that still happen, though.

True, but --- and this is just anecdotal and imo --- I'd hazard a lot of goons don't bother with GBS because of the signal to noise ratio (not to mention the recent unpleasantness over the holidays). Like, I had no idea about how devastating the Australian bushfires are until someone linked to that thread, because I don't visit GBS aside from a few threads I have bookmarked. Whereas I would check in much more regularly to a Current Events subforum, because I'd know it's news, and not "share your opinion about taco bell" or "itt we are a cat litter box" nonsense.

Just my two cents.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Lmao came here to post that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

hallelujah posted:

I was late for work the next day because I was up all night, sick in bed hitting refresh over and over on just that thread. It was like 1am my time or something.

e: the police scanner being transcribed live in thread also really really made it seem like the police set that cabin on fire on purpose too.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 29, 2020

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"itt we are a cat litter box" nonsense.

Just my two cents.

Stealing, ty Jackie

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

How long do you think it will be before those Amazon snitch cams do have someone broadcast their grow op to the cops.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

Nicalis is an American company; IIRC he signed an English language contract in spite of not being fluent in English. Given that multiple developers have gotten vocally pissed off about Nicalis's treatment of them I'm gonna go ahead and guess the contract wasn't presented in good faith :v:

They also put out a lovely halfassed Englosh translation that was worse than the fan one, they're scum and not even competent scum.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Its impossible to read this except as a man attempting to get out a very long monologue in a single breath as the cops are breaking down the door behind him. It even ends mid-sentence, like he was dragged away!

Also, lol at 30 sizable plants for personal use. Double lol at running a grow op and installing loving internet spycams. Why not just call up your local dea office and ask if they want any weed?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the music for various versions of Cave Story ports also all suck compared to the original.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Its impossible to read this except as a man attempting to get out a very long monologue in a single breath as the cops are breaking down the door behind him. It even ends mid-sentence, like he was dragged away!

Also, lol at 30 sizable plants for personal use. Double lol at running a grow op and installing loving internet spycams. Why not just call up your local dea office and ask if they want any weed?

this energy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ePBNGmxVK8

"I know these look like weed plants. Totally not."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tunicate posted:

They also put out a lovely halfassed Englosh translation that was worse than the fan one, they're scum and not even competent scum.

They made The Binding of Isaac actually playable, that more than makes up for besmirching the Cave Story translation by having a single Kool-Aid Man reference in it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

They made The Binding of Isaac actually playable, that more than makes up for besmirching the Cave Story translation by having a single Kool-Aid Man reference in it.

The racism too huh

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That's some interesting, uh, set of priorities, guy mann

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

shut the gently caress up guy mann

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crocoswine posted:

shut the gently caress up guy mann

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
guy fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

please don't deadname him into another weeklong probation