Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People spend lots of time outside crash couches while under burn in the books too. You need to be strapped in if there's going to be high g maneuvering. The whole reason they do fairly sedate .3 g burns is so it's comfortable to walk around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

etalian posted:

Imagine the size of her walk in closet.

They show it in the episode where she walks down in her robe to record the message for Gao. It's amazing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:vince:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Elentor posted:

I wish I was 1/20th as amazing as Avasarala

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I definitely appreciate the world building of the belters accent. I just wish there was a separate cc track that just came on for them.
I suddenly envisioned a beltaboo subculture complete with subs vs dubs arguments over belter media.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I just realized that basically nobody enjoys good food in the expanse. Belters eat literal kibble, everyone on basic is getting food bars, fascists aren't known for good food either, so Mars is probably serving up soylent green at this point.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

T-man posted:

I just realized that basically nobody enjoys good food in the expanse. Belters eat literal kibble, everyone on basic is getting food bars, fascists aren't known for good food either, so Mars is probably serving up soylent green at this point.

Please don't make Alex cry over his authentic martian lasagna recipe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They do mention real food on occasion in the books, but it's a luxury. I think there's a scene of eating sushi made from actual fish in one of them. The Martian ship food dispenser systems are supposed to be high quality too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

They do mention real food on occasion in the books, but it's a luxury. I think there's a scene of eating sushi made from actual fish in one of them. The Martian ship food dispenser systems are supposed to be high quality too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God I love that scene. Did more to define Bobby's character in 5 seconds than all the tedious hoorah mars poo poo they wasted time on previously.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Martians eat more real food but most of their meat is vat grown, or tank grown in the case of fish. In the belt not much will grow besides fungus except on Ganymede. Earth is hit or miss, it's 30 billion people and obviously most are poor as poo poo. There are a lot of undocumented who have it even worse than basic rations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Belters eat mostly vegetable imitation, with some vat grown fish and meat as a luxury. Martian vat grown meat is supposed to be pretty dope, they can custom grow the best cuts with none of the waste. earth has actual cows but its a super luxury, vat grown meat and stuff is common because its much more economical. caught fish likewise, most of it is farmed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Grand Fromage posted:

People spend lots of time outside crash couches while under burn in the books too. You need to be strapped in if there's going to be high g maneuvering. The whole reason they do fairly sedate .3 g burns is so it's comfortable to walk around.

i was rewatching the mutiny on the agatha king earlier and it bugged me that they're all standing around even when combat could break out at any second

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Threats of mutiny would be pretty funny if they're all just yelling at each other while strapped in. I'd have watched it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
that awkward time she tried to be relate-able by carrying hot sauce in her purse only for everyone it to fail miserably because no one can afford or obtain actual hot sauce

StashAugustine posted:

i was rewatching the mutiny on the agatha king earlier and it bugged me that they're all standing around even when combat could break out at any second

ah yes, the most incompetent mutiny in the history of mutinies

admiral nguyen deserved to win

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've skipped all of the posts here to say I'm about 1.5 seasons into the Expanse. It sure is good. I sure hope it continues with the pretty hard science setting (aside from the super efficient drive) as I'm really digging things like the molten metal from shells that pierce through the hull of a ship hanging in place until the pilot makes a maneuver.

A bit of a bummer how I have to turn on subtitles whenever the belters talk though.

Sorry to come back to this but I felt this was a good post from one of the authors on reddit a week back:

Daniel Abraham posted:

We always reach for a Wikipedia level of plausibility, but I wouldn't ever call us hard SF.

edit: VVVVV touche.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 30, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If people actually listened to people who create things, we'd all be saying GIF instead of GIF.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

If people actually listened to people who create things, we'd all be saying GIF instead of GIF.

its pronounced GIF.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's pronounced the same as the G in garage.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
you pronounce 'garage' as jaraje?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

you pronounce 'garage' as jaraje?

You don't?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So Murtry is basically the Spock's beard version of Amos?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I can't wait to get home and open my birthday jifts.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ashpanash posted:

I can't wait to get home and open my birthday jifts.

Why do that when you could have a gin and ginger with giraffes at the gym?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nail Rat posted:

Martians eat more real food but most of their meat is vat grown, or tank grown in the case of fish. In the belt not much will grow besides fungus except on Ganymede. Earth is hit or miss, it's 30 billion people and obviously most are poor as poo poo. There are a lot of undocumented who have it even worse than basic rations.

Why won’t anything grow in the belt? Lack of magnetic field cause too much radiation?

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TraderStav posted:

Why won’t anything grow in the belt? Lack of magnetic field cause too much radiation?

That and weak sunlight. Ganymede has a magnetic field and the orbital mirrors focusing sunlight.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

That and weak sunlight. Ganymede has a magnetic field and the orbital mirrors focusing sunlight.

Legitimately asking, can’t we already replicate what plants need with artificial light? I’m immediately thinking of all the grow houses here in Detroit in basements, but then again pot doesn’t need nutritional value which is what you may get from photosynthesis?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Legitimately asking, can’t we already replicate what plants need with artificial light? I’m immediately thinking of all the grow houses here in Detroit in basements, but then again pot doesn’t need nutritional value which is what you may get from photosynthesis?

It also requires a lot of water and nutrient baths, and the supply problem is complicated by the microgravity problem. Ganymede has an entire infrastructure dedicated to agroponics. Ceres just flat out doesn't.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Why do that when you could have a gin and ginger with giraffes at the gym?

Because none of those are spelled exactly like 'gift' but with one less letter.

Ugh, I'm making a mistake by engaging, because truthfully I don't care. Pronounce it how you like! Language is an ever-evolving thing.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Because none of those are spelled exactly like 'gift' but with one less letter.

Ugh, I'm making a mistake by engaging, because truthfully I don't care. Pronounce it how you like! Language is an ever-evolving thing.

the mistake you're making is that you are taking it seriously.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pronunciation is a scam made up to sell dictionaries don't fall for it

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

etalian posted:

So Murtry is basically the Spock's beard version of Amos?

No, hes closer to Amos without Holden and Naomi

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

TommyGun85 posted:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
It's unfair to compare Murtry with Amos like that, it makes him look completely bitch-made.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TraderStav posted:

You can, if you have the energy to spare. Most Belter settlements do not.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

T-man posted:

agreed

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

T-man posted:

How do you pronounce gif in Belter creole?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Warmachine posted:

How do you pronounce gif in Belter creole?

Move-a-ting

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah but is it a hard A or a soft A?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

ashpanash posted:

Move-a-ting

I don't think it's been brought up (or if its a book thing or not) but I really like the branding on the Belter OS video app being called "Showxating"