Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they introduced a subscription for $100/year which enables a stash that lets you stash infinite items (but actually it just deleted them), and lets you host private servers.

in kinda a secfuck, it's not really private. anyone in your friends list can join, and then anyone in their friends list can join them, and online everyone is at most 5 steps removed or somesuch so basically it's a public server anyway. lmao

fake edit: oh also, i think they leaked a bunch of private info of a lot of their subscribers recently too? maybe that was something else but i think it was fallout
real edit: no that was earlier than april actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
buying a subscription would also allow you to somehow visibly tag your character as a premium account, which led to any such characters being mobbed by gankers on discovery and calls for premiums to build defendable enclaves to keep the poors out

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Truga posted:

fake edit: oh also, i think they leaked a bunch of private info of a lot of their subscribers recently too? maybe that was something else but i think it was fallout
real edit: no that was earlier than april actually

wasn't their zendesk support system getting popped?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Fallout 76 got rushed out to try to get a bite of the MMO pie, and they really screwed the pooch on that. It should've just been another Single Player game.

I'm convinced that Fallout 76 started out as an internal project to graft multiplayer onto the Fallout 4 engine and after they got a demo with like one quest line working some executive decided they needed to monetize their efforts.

edit: they already have an MMO which is popular because it is good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fallout 76 was created to be monetized from the start and they added the multiplayer to prevent offline play so people have to go thru the Bethesda store

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it can't possibly have started out as a single player game, it doesn't have anything that TES players want

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i always interpreted it as a confused, rushed answer to "holy poo poo look at how much money fortnite is making, why isn't that our money???"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

it’s bad, op.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

JawnV6 posted:

it was the best

wasn't chromehounds by From Software? Because I watched a dark souls speed run (yes yes, I know) and I'm pretty sure the guy used the same bug or similar to overflow something and get like 99999 homeward bones from a vendor

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i was randomly attacked by dozens of tigers and lit on fire by hackers in red dead 2 online recently thanks for reading and good night

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fallout 76 was an attempt to fill some space between releases by farming out Fallout, like New Vegas, but it didn't go as smoothly as New Vegas because they picked a less talented developer and gave them an even shittier job to do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
new vegas is so good

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
sounds like it's time for secfuck thread 18.5

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
No just keep it on topic

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

sounds like it's time for secfuck thread 18.5
-approaching secfuck
-stay on topic, stay on topic!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dive dive dive! Hit your burners, pilot!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Dive dive dive! Hit your burners, pilot!

we got another 15 posts to change our shorts

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1222249024196997121?s=20

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Unpleasant vulnerability in OpenSMTPD

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

it’s called OpenSMTPD because it exposes open shells to the internet

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Raere posted:

it’s called OpenSMTPD because it exposes open shells to the internet

more like open shaking my turd piss dongus, amirite

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
so OpenSMTPD just exists as a kind of "gently caress you" to postfix?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

so OpenSMTPD just exists as a kind of "gently caress you" to postfix?
It replaced sendmail.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

D. Ebdrup posted:

It replaced sendmail.

2013, lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Regular audits!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaggar posted:

new vegas is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkD1scIkKw

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

this is kind of signature detection bad 101

you‘re already able to load and execute code, and if you xor a signature’d thing you change the signature

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this is kind of signature detection bad 101

you‘re already able to load and execute code, and if you xor a signature’d thing you change the signature

Yup, I'll want to see how it'll do under their future sandboxing solution for Defender.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nice domain name on that box tho

Jewel
May 2, 2009

D:

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's clumsy but it's much better from a security perspective than just not requiring TFA on devices that don't support it like lots of other websites do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's how icloud/itunes accounts used to work iirc, and still work for legacy devices that don't support the modern auth method

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like it better than the 'app password' method that goog and ms use

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

infernal machines posted:

that's how icloud/itunes accounts used to work iirc, and still work for legacy devices that don't support the modern auth method

yep, this still happens on the apple tv 3

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think my work RSA key worked sort of like that in like 2008, you had to append the generated key (which cycled on the hard key) to your pin instead of the key being generated off the pin itself like the soft keys

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what would be the risk in appending the 2fa token to the password like that and lopping it off when checking it? bad handling of the password before truncating? user not putting the 2fa code in and submitting a partial pw?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Fool posted:

I like it better than the 'app password' method that goog and ms use

app passwords are more a substitute for OAuth delegated access

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

what would be the risk in appending the 2fa token to the password like that and lopping it off when checking it? bad handling of the password before truncating? user not putting the 2fa code in and submitting a partial pw?
I don't think there's any real security risk unless it's implemented very poorly (it's theoretically probably more secure than indicating whether the password was correct before prompting for the 2fa code separately). It's just confusing for users.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 30, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Not a gently caress-up, just a usability degradation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Older versions of Cisco Anyconnect do this too.