Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m weirdly nostalgic about the snappers because my dad went nuts buying dvds when they first came out, so we had a ton of them when I was a kid. I still grab snappers every now and then at Half Price if it’s some z-grade horror or sci-fi flick that I can’t be bothered to spend $8-10 on for the Blu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
No matter what I think we can all agree that Tiny Furniture is absolute poo poo and Lena Dunham should be fired into the sun.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m weirdly nostalgic about the snappers because my dad went nuts buying dvds when they first came out, so we had a ton of them when I was a kid. I still grab snappers every now and then at Half Price if it’s some z-grade horror or sci-fi flick that I can’t be bothered to spend $8-10 on for the Blu.

Same here. I got my DVD player in 2000 as a birthday present (went half/half with my parents since it was $220 - $50 more than what I paid for a UHD player in late 2018) and was getting into classic films.

Snappers meant movies from Warner Home Video for me, so a gigantic chunk of my collection was from them. Lots of classics and by 2003-2004, they were being dumped in bargain bins due to the switch in packaging.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

No matter what I think we can all agree that Tiny Furniture is absolute poo poo and Lena Dunham should be fired into the sun.

I like Girls. Tiny Furniture is definitely only in there because of nepotism but I think there's a fair few mediocre films in the collection. :shrug:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Totally forgot about those terrible Warner cases that always looked dumb as gently caress on the shelf and aged twice as fast as normal DVD cases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

I like Girls. Tiny Furniture is definitely only in there because of nepotism but I think there's a fair few mediocre films in the collection. :shrug:

Girls was one of my favorite shows until I found out that Hannah Horovath isn't a character, it's just Lena Dunham.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Looks like Toho has a 4K scan of Gojira ready to rock.

https://twitter.com/RagoneAugust/status/1221720746600173569?s=19

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still have my snappers of The American President, The Matrix and Gettysburg. There are probably one or two others that I'm forgetting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

I still have my snappers of The American President, The Matrix and Gettysburg. There are probably one or two others that I'm forgetting.

Gettysburg is one that is both a snapper and flipper isn't it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

Gettysburg is one that is both a snapper and flipper isn't it?

It is indeed!

I have a weird love of that movie. It wears its origins as a made-for-TV movie on its sleeve (holy poo poo, is the cinematography ugly) but everyone in it gives such an earnest performance that I can't help but respect it.

We do not speak of Gods & Generals.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tiny Furniture is fine.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Aesthetically I actually liked the look of spined-out snappers on a shelf more than standard cases. The trade off in durability was a problem, yeah, but the biggest dealbreaker is that when you had a bunch of them together on a shelf, the snap flap would get hung on the case next to it and you couldn't pull it out, or you'd end up pulling out a bunch at once. It was a pretty glaring design flaw.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Alec Eiffel posted:

Tiny Furniture is fine.

Pffft. No

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

Tiny Furniture is fine.

Wrong

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

Tiny Furniture is fine.

:frogout:

Origami Dali posted:

Aesthetically I actually liked the look of spined-out snappers on a shelf more than standard cases. The trade off in durability was a problem, yeah, but the biggest dealbreaker is that when you had a bunch of them together on a shelf, the snap flap would get hung on the case next to it and you couldn't pull it out, or you'd end up pulling out a bunch at once. It was a pretty glaring design flaw.

:frogout:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I had to sell it for rent money ages ago, but Don Hertzfeldt's self-released Rejected DVD was in a snapper, which meant it had all sorts of silly scribbles covering every inch of the cover. There were also music DVDs that were in snappers because either WAMO (Warner Advanced Media Operations) or Image Entertainment did the pressing for them.

The really early days of DVD had all sorts of weird cases. Like the bottom of the barrel labels like Madacy and Laserlight using these elongated jewel cases. I had a Beatles set from MPI that had the discs on plastic hubs that slid out of this cardboard slipcase that folded out rather than like a normal box. Then there's releases that were iconic because of limitations in packaging like Criterion using three separate keep cases for Brazil in a plastic slipcase (their first release ever with more than two discs - as Armageddon was their first 2-disc released a few months earlier). The Blu-ray is in a basic 2-disc plastic case.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Alec Eiffel posted:

Tiny Furniture is fine.

I hope you mean that in a pun way, and not as in the film is good.

Tiny Furniture is literally every story every creative writing major writes in college that's about being a listless 20 something who can't adjust to being an adult because they're realizing that the world isn't going to step aside for them and that if only people would recognize their greatness and how insightful they are...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Egbert Souse posted:

The really early days of DVD had all sorts of weird cases.

I have a DVD of Das Boot that literally came in a CD jewel case

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

david_a posted:

Sounds... sub par.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Up until now, I forgot that Columbia and Universal released a bunch of their earliest DVDs in jewel cases

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I remember some early 2 disc sets coming in those double wide cases that were like two regular cases fused together. I might still have a copy of The Others with a case like that. On the other end, Panic Room has a super slim case and some kind of “Superbit” technology. Early DVD was wild.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I remember some early 2 disc sets coming in those double wide cases that were like two regular cases fused together. I might still have a copy of The Others with a case like that. On the other end, Panic Room has a super slim case and some kind of “Superbit” technology. Early DVD was wild.

Those were Alpha cases and used by most labels except for Warner (multi-disc sets in digipaks), Universal (one of the first to use 2-disc amarays), and Sony (custom "book" or digipak usually).

Also, Superbit was really just Sony encoding DVDs with a maxed out bitrate and with DTS 5.1 tracks. Not a gigantic difference with most releases, but Lawrence of Arabia had a better downscale of the late-90s 1080i master used for the MUSE Hi-Vision laserdisc than the initial 2001 DVD that had all sorts of color and compression issues.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Those were Alpha cases and used by most labels except for Warner (multi-disc sets in digipaks), Universal (one of the first to use 2-disc amarays), and Sony (custom "book" or digipak usually).

Also, Superbit was really just Sony encoding DVDs with a maxed out bitrate and with DTS 5.1 tracks. Not a gigantic difference with most releases, but Lawrence of Arabia had a better downscale of the late-90s 1080i master used for the MUSE Hi-Vision laserdisc than the initial 2001 DVD that had all sorts of color and compression issues.

I wish your brain could be copied and made into some kind of digital database.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of Lawrence, where the hell is the UHD

TAKE MY MONEY :homebrew:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

david_a posted:

Speaking of Lawrence, where the hell is the UHD

TAKE MY MONEY :homebrew:

same place where The Terminator UHD is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

dorium posted:

same place where The Terminator UHD is.

And the Abyss Director's Cut blu-ray. Come on, Jimmy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't even know how much I'd pay for a quality UHD of Lawrence. Hundreds of dollars at least. Dr. Zhivago wouldn't be much further down on my list of most desired UHDs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Have I said that I think UHD is probably the first home format to have done justice for 2001: A Space Odyssey yet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Have I said that I think UHD is probably the first home format to have done justice for 2001: A Space Odyssey yet?

As amazing as that one is, I think The Shining UHD topped it. If only for the elevator scene, which is like the deepest fullest red I've ever seen in my life.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll just put that one to have on in the background now. It looks STUNNING. Like it was shot yesterday.

I've yet to pickup The Shining, just waiting for a good sale or used price before I do.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sometimes you watch a UHD and the difference is marginal at best, a minor incremental improvement. The Kubrick UHDs are not that, if you know the films really well you'll be knocked back in your seat pretty much immediately by how much better they look.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes you watch a UHD and the difference is marginal at best, a minor incremental improvement. The Kubrick UHDs are not that, if you know the films really well you'll be knocked back in your seat pretty much immediately by how much better they look.

:yeah:

It really is amazing just how much fine detail there is in them that I wasn't nearly as blown away by when I watched them in regular HD.

It pains me to think of the way it must have looked the first time I watched them on a VHS :randno:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently, there's a Polish release of Lawrence of Arabia 4K coming in June, so we may know something soon.

By the way, I don't know if I posted about it, but Warner Archive is finally releasing the first volume of restored Tex Avery cartoons in Februrary. First volume has 19 cartoons (likely first of three volumes) all from new restorations sourced from 4K scans of various archival elements. MGM lost the camera negatives to nearly all their nitrate-era cartoon shorts in 1967, so one reason it's taken so long is that they've had to find other sources.

It's up for pre-order on DeepDiscount and Warner's own shop, but Warner has shipping charges under $100.

Iron Crowned posted:

The 4K restoration went back to the 65mm camera negative and 65mm internegative, scanned at 8K resolution. The prior Blu-ray and DVDs used transfers made from 35mm reduction elements.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

By the way, Daniel Griffith (of Ballyhoo Motion Pictures) posted on Facebook that he was working on something for John Carpenter's Dark Star, which likely means it's coming to Shout! Factory.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

And the Abyss Director's Cut blu-ray. Come on, Jimmy.

But then how will he make half a dozen Avatar sequels that nobody wants?

Egbert Souse posted:

By the way, Daniel Griffith (of Ballyhoo Motion Pictures) posted on Facebook that he was working on something for John Carpenter's Dark Star, which likely means it's coming to Shout! Factory.

Mos people think it's a minor Carpenter but I like it a lot because it's super wacky and really fun. I also found it to be a better Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie than the actual Hitckhiker's Guide movie.

edit: I also just remembered that it's very similar in premise to Alien and I wonder if Dan O'Bannon purposely used Dark Star as the skeleton of Alien.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 30, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Mos people think it's a minor Carpenter but I like it a lot because it's super wacky and really fun. I also found it to be a better Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie than the actual Hitckhiker's Guide movie.

edit: I also just remembered that it's very similar in premise to Alien and I wonder if Dan O'Bannon purposely used Dark Star as the skeleton of Alien.

The master on The Criterion Channel looked pretty rough, but it's pretty drat impressive and entertaining for being a no-budget student film. Even the effects have this neat surreal quality to them.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

The master on The Criterion Channel looked pretty rough, but it's pretty drat impressive and entertaining for being a no-budget student film. Even the effects have this neat surreal quality to them.

Previously I had only seen it on vhs, which I wore out as a kid. I was surprised how much better it didn’t look, really

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My main complaint with the 2001 UHD is that on an OLED it’s distractingly obvious that space is gray. I get why they had to film it that way but it really stood out to me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

My main complaint with the 2001 UHD is that on an OLED it’s distractingly obvious that space is gray. I get why they had to film it that way but it really stood out to me.

Apparently, the original 1968 70mm prints were specially printed so that space came out as pure black. I solved the problem on my system by dropping the brightness a few clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It really is amazing to me just how "right" 2001 got space, especially when you start looking at the fact that it was made before the moon landing. The killer apes sequence is probably the most dated portion of it but, it was released 6 years before they discovered Lucy, and I think that was the prevailing hypothesis at the time.

As a side note, does anyone else here ever encounter people who seem shocked that you'd watch a movie more than once?