Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

wait what movie was Carl McCoy in

Hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kvlt! posted:

The beginning of Hardware

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

If that's the case then he had much, much better choices than a track from Burzum's debut album. I mean he had Carl McCoy and Lemmy playing parts in his movies, for gently caress's sake.

I don’t think using something Lemmy played on would exactly distance him from scrutiny wrt nazi poo poo. Metal musicians are virtually all idiots.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Go watch hardware and dust devils

And *lists all the other recs I've given you that you continue to ignore for evil bong rewatches*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, he was just a liberal after all.

This is identical to how liberals see Hitler, yeah, lol.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

It sucks that he/they went with the song. I wish he hadn't because I'd rather discuss how good the movie is.

So do that. It’s fairly obscure trivia info, and from other posts here it sounds likely that 1) Varg won’t get any money from this, 2) Richard Stanley isn’t a secret Nazi, and 3) maybe the guy in charge of music isn’t up to date on his 90s black-metal lore.

Or should everybody involved in the selection of music for a film just always Google “has [artist] ever committed [any crime ever]?”

I think that quick scene of whatever alien planet we saw was one of the best shots in the movie, I want to see a whole goddamn planet full of mind-shattering cosmic horrors :cthulhu:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yarbald posted:

So do that. It’s fairly obscure trivia info, and from other posts here it sounds likely that 1) Varg won’t get any money from this, 2) Richard Stanley isn’t a secret Nazi, and 3) maybe the guy in charge of music isn’t up to date on his 90s black-metal lore.

Or should everybody involved in the selection of music for a film just always Google “has [artist] ever committed [any crime ever]?”

I think that quick scene of whatever alien planet we saw was one of the best shots in the movie, I want to see a whole goddamn planet full of mind-shattering cosmic horrors :cthulhu:

It was explained by a few posters though that Stanley was extremely aware of the black metal scene in the 90's and a second song on the soundtrack is by the band that included the victim that was murdered. So it's kinda tough to assume it was a random coincidence now that I have that information.

Doesn't mean Stanley is a nazi necessarily but I would like to hear a statement from him on it, at least.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yarbald posted:

Yeah I'm excited to see what his Dunwich Horror and third film are going to be like.

One of my favorite shots was Lavinia lighting up and the carving on her head glowing. All the forest shots were so drat pretty as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t think using something Lemmy played on would exactly distance him from scrutiny wrt nazi poo poo. Metal musicians are virtually all idiots.

People used to ask Lemmy if he was a Nazi, because he collected memorabilia and had the totenkopf on his hat. His reply was always "I've had two black girlfriends, if I'm a Nazi I'm not very good at it".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

People used to ask Lemmy if he was a Nazi, because he collected memorabilia and had the totenkopf on his hat. His reply was always "I've had two black girlfriends, if I'm a Nazi I'm not very good at it".

"I've had sex with minorities" is always the lamest defense though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is identical to how liberals see Hitler, yeah, lol.

I really wonder how Lovecraft would have reacted to the world post the 1930s. He was a complicated dude who probably needed some serious help and I'm really curious how it would have affected his writing and ideas.

One of his biggest things, which follows the liberal thing to a T, was how closed off he was. Dude virtually never had his views challenged or had to think about them too hard.

Mind I also wonder that about other artists who died really young. There's a whole subset of people that were self destructive and fascinating.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
SO, how about those horror movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I'm excited to see what his Dunwich Horror and third film are going to be like.

One of my favorite shots was Lavinia lighting up and the carving on her head glowing. All the forest shots were so drat pretty as well.

Am I the only one that got Twin Peaks The Return vibes from the scenes in the woods with the flashlights?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I saw the preview for Swallow, which is my pick for biggest "no, it's a horror" derail of 2020.

It's a drama about a bored housewife with pica.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

moths posted:

I saw the preview for Swallow, which is my pick for biggest "no, it's a horror" derail of 2020.

It's a drama about a bored housewife with pica.

I just watched it last night and i think it's pretty solidly in horror territory, or at least a thriller.

E: you know what, it's cartoonish and over the top enough at times that I'll die on the horror hill.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Am I the only one that got Twin Peaks The Return vibes from the scenes in the woods with the flashlights?

I didn't at the time, but you're right, it does have that look and feel.

Dust Devils was so fresh in my head from watching it the night before that I kept finding comparisons there. Like the use of the pocket watch in DD and the compass in CooS

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I would like to hear a statement from him on it, at least.

Yeah, for sure. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his interviews, but I would be interested in hearing his side. There’s got to be a lot of behind the scenes info we aren’t aware of.

MacheteZombie posted:

:hai:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Burkion posted:

I really wonder how Lovecraft would have reacted to the world post the 1930s. He was a complicated dude who probably needed some serious help and I'm really curious how it would have affected his writing and ideas.
He would have condemned Nazis as soon as they attacked upper-crust Englishmen, the only people Lovecraft considered truly white.

quote:

Mind I also wonder that about other artists who died really young. There's a whole subset of people that were self destructive and fascinating.
I've no doubt that Robert E. Howard would have shed some of his lovely attitudes if he'd lived longer.

Basebf555 posted:

"I've had sex with minorities" is always the lamest defense though.
Lovecraft's wife was Jewish and he went on anti-Semitic rants in front of her

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

help horror thread. There's this movie i think i saw in the theaters around 2002-2006, cant recall the exact year, that I cannot remember the name of. The gist of it was that there were these creatures that would mark you as a child with a literal mark on your skin. When you became older, they would stalk you from the darkness and take you to the dark realm when they could get to you.

I recall three scenes from the movie. One where a woman is swimming at an indoor swimming pool and the lights go off and I think she is taken then. The next scene is where the main character has her boyfriend look over her body and he cant find the mark. Its revealed later that the mark is on her head or something that they did not check. The last scene I recall is from the very end of the movie where the main character is in the darkness realm and trying to get the attention of someone else to help her. She can see out of the darkness realm to the real world and the portal she sees through is located in a closet that another person is looking in. The person eventually closes the door on her cause they cant see/hear her and thats how the movie ends

I thought it was a Wes Craven thing cause I remember the commercials kept playing up that it was made by someone horror-famous, but looking through his IMDB, i cant find it. Its not a particularly scary or good movie, but I cannot find it now and thats bothering the crap outta me. Anyone recall this or am I just goin crazy?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't that Tooth Fairy?

That seems really familiar - I think they'd only come in the dark and one character has an absurd amount of lamps and everyone thinks he's nuts.

E: or Darkness Falls?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

help horror thread. There's this movie i think i saw in the theaters around 2002-2006, cant recall the exact year, that I cannot remember the name of. The gist of it was that there were these creatures that would mark you as a child with a literal mark on your skin. When you became older, they would stalk you from the darkness and take you to the dark realm when they could get to you.

I recall three scenes from the movie. One where a woman is swimming at an indoor swimming pool and the lights go off and I think she is taken then. The next scene is where the main character has her boyfriend look over her body and he cant find the mark. Its revealed later that the mark is on her head or something that they did not check. The last scene I recall is from the very end of the movie where the main character is in the darkness realm and trying to get the attention of someone else to help her. She can see out of the darkness realm to the real world and the portal she sees through is located in a closet that another person is looking in. The person eventually closes the door on her cause they cant see/hear her and thats how the movie ends

I thought it was a Wes Craven thing cause I remember the commercials kept playing up that it was made by someone horror-famous, but looking through his IMDB, i cant find it. Its not a particularly scary or good movie, but I cannot find it now and thats bothering the crap outta me. Anyone recall this or am I just goin crazy?

They (2002)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283632/

Craven’s name was all over the marketing because he was a “producer” but I think he just lent his name to it. I remember it being pretty lousy.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

They (2002)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283632/

Craven’s name was all over the marketing because he was a “producer” but I think he just lent his name to it. I remember it being pretty lousy.

yyeeesss ty thats it

makes sense that id forget the title cause drat, "They" is forgettable as gently caress. Not a good movie at all, but glad that someone else remember's this garbage

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

moths posted:

Wasn't that Tooth Fairy?

That seems really familiar - I think they'd only come in the dark and one character has an absurd amount of lamps and everyone thinks he's nuts.

E: or Darkness Falls?

ya thats Darkness Falls, which came out around the same time and honestly was a better take on the whole thing, not that its a good movie either

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

yyeeesss ty thats it

makes sense that id forget the title cause drat, "They" is forgettable as gently caress. Not a good movie at all, but glad that someone else remember's this garbage
Which ending did you see? I saw both on the DVD and I can't remember which one is the theatrical version.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Which ending did you see? I saw both on the DVD and I can't remember which one is the theatrical version.

theres more than one ending? The one i saw was in theaters and it ended like i said before, main character gets ignored while trapped in the dark realm and gets the door shut on her literally and metaphorically. I could be mis-remembering it cause it was back in 2002 since i last saw it. Honestly, the ending was the scariest part of the movie and stuck with me the longest since its so bleak. Wouldnt be totally surprised if they made a more traditional "main character saves the day" kinda ending to go with it on DVD

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I’ve only seen it on bluray and it had the bleak ending you saw.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's an alternate ending where she's a patient in a mental hospital, her "boyfriend" is her doctor, and the whole thing was just a psychotic delusion!

I know, I know

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

There's an alternate ending where she's a patient in a mental hospital, her "boyfriend" is her doctor, and the whole thing was just a psychotic delusion!

I know, I know

holy poo poo thats so much worse lol

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The thing I like most about Trash Humpers is that The eponymous humpers feel more like supernatural forces than individual people. You can't really understand them, they're purely devoted to chaos. They're modern instantiations of the witches from Macbeth.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Trash humpers are like the dang Joker. The new Joker only had him kicking and occasionally sitting on trash bags; very disappointing.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

so i love horror movies with creepy creatures. Here's an incomplete list of some of the stuff ive seen/enjoyed:

The Thing - fav horror movie of all time
Alien series
Predator series
Jaws series
Deep Blue Sea
The Relic
Sweetheart
Gremlins
Critters
Crawl
Razorback
The Ritual
Mimic
Species
Pumpkinhead
Dog Soldiers
The Meg
Leviathan
The Fly

Any other recommendations for creature features? IDK why, but i just love having big scary monsters that pick off the cast one-by-one. I do wanna see Underwater when I have the chance, it looks right up my alley

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 29, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

so i love horror movies with creepy creatures. Here's an incomplete list of some of the stuff ive seen/enjoyed:

Alien series
Predator series
Jaws series
Deep Blue Sea
The Relic
Sweetheart
Gremlins
Critters
Crawl
Razorback
The Ritual
Mimic
Species
Pumpkinhead
Dog Soldiers
The Meg
Leviathan
The Fly

Any other recommendations for creature features? IDK why, but i just love having big scary monsters that pick off the cast one-by-one. I do wanna see Underwater when I have the chance, it looks right up my alley

Well you missed Tremors, so I'm triggered.

edit:

Anaconda, Attack The Block!, Ghoulies, Spookies, Slugs, The Deadly Spawn, Grizzley, The Blob ('88), The Gate, Phase IV, Dagon, Troll Hunter (in a way), The Descent, Lake Placid, The Shallows, Eight Legged Freaks

edit2: Bong Joon Ho's The Host is a deconstruction of the genre.

pospysyl posted:

The thing I like most about Trash Humpers is that The eponymous humpers feel more like supernatural forces than individual people. You can't really understand them, they're purely devoted to chaos. They're modern instantiations of the witches from Macbeth.

I agree with you, sincerely.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 29, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, They annoyed me so much.

There's a scene where she ends up digging some weird artifact thing out of her loving head (and iirc it's BIG), and it's like "Dude, that's proof that you aren't crazy, just take it and show it to whoever you need to", but instead I think she shoves it down the sink or something instead.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

pospysyl posted:

This rings true.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Alien series
Predator series
Jaws series
Deep Blue Sea
The Relic
Sweetheart
Gremlins
Critters
Crawl
Razorback
The Ritual
Mimic
Species
Pumpkinhead
Dog Soldiers
The Meg
Leviathan
The Fly

Munchies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Color our of Space and SLiTHER

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The Color our of Space and SLiTHER

Good double feature idea.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Mandy's Hell Bikers deserves to be on that list.

Every list.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

great suggestions and fwiw, I adored Tremors as a kid. I did say that my list was incomplete

Decided to check out Feast before I saw anyones recs and jesus this is a mean fuckin movie. It has really good practical effects and the creatures are pretty cool looking but man, it just fuckin hates the characters and the viewer. There are sexual assault and disabled people jokes in like the first 5 minutes, the black guy dies immediately, and theres even an extended sequence where a woman is tied up and used as bait before a creature orally assaults her. Just fuckin :yikes: as much as possible

Even if it werent for the extremely problematic stuff, its mired by having a pretty unlikeable cast and the cinematography is firmly stuck in the early 2000's shaky cam which makes all of the action nauseating

The movie does have some interesting moments, but all the other crap makes it not worth watching and now i feel really gross for even seeing it in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A Quiet Place is a really good creature feature if you haven't seen it yet.

Anyone seen Gretel and Hansel yet? Trailer looked really promising and I'm considering whether it's worth seeing in the theatres.