Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Sequels are something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AKZ posted:

Sequels are something

The first one sucked but with a description like this I'll defiintiely subject myself to (double checks title) Feast II: Sloppy Seconds.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Halloween Jack posted:

There's an alternate ending where she's a patient in a mental hospital, her "boyfriend" is her doctor, and the whole thing was just a psychotic delusion!

I know, I know

That ending felt like it fit more to me, but then her character just grated on my nerves.

married but discreet posted:

A Quiet Place is a really good creature feature if you haven't seen it yet.

Anyone seen Gretel and Hansel yet? Trailer looked really promising and I'm considering whether it's worth seeing in the theatres.

Tickets are on sale tomorrow by me. I might see it on Sunday. Pretty much seeing Alice Krige as the witch in the trailer sealed the deal for me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Question, who here is watching October Faction

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Decided to check out Feast before I saw anyones recs and jesus this is a mean fuckin movie. It has really good practical effects and the creatures are pretty cool looking but man, it just fuckin hates the characters and the viewer. There are sexual assault and disabled people jokes in like the first 5 minutes, the black guy dies immediately, and theres even an extended sequence where a woman is tied up and used as bait before a creature orally assaults her. Just fuckin :yikes: as much as possible

Even if it werent for the extremely problematic stuff, its mired by having a pretty unlikeable cast and the cinematography is firmly stuck in the early 2000's shaky cam which makes all of the action nauseating

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, but I thought Feast was a lot of fun. Incredibly mean-spirited, but fun.

Definitely check out Underwater. There were a lot of great underwater horror movies in the 80s that were brought up a while ago, most notably DeepStar Six and Leviathan. Deep Rising was pretty good. They all had some great creature designs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't dig Feast but I gotta admit, the monster design for the big guys was pretty awesome. Guessing the art director just said "When in doubt, add more teeth".

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

so i love horror movies with creepy creatures. Here's an incomplete list of some of the stuff ive seen/enjoyed:

The Thing - fav horror movie of all time
Alien series
Predator series
Jaws series
Deep Blue Sea
The Relic
Sweetheart
Gremlins
Critters
Crawl
Razorback
The Ritual
Mimic
Species
Pumpkinhead
Dog Soldiers
The Meg
Leviathan
The Fly

Any other recommendations for creature features? IDK why, but i just love having big scary monsters that pick off the cast one-by-one. I do wanna see Underwater when I have the chance, it looks right up my alley

nthing that you should catch Underwater while it's in theaters.

With regards to creature features to pile on your list: It's not really horror, but Outlander pops to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBoXCLG_28
:hellyeah::respek::black101:

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

It's just a color, but it buuurns.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tertius Oculum posted:

I've been repeating this line over and over to myself the past couple of days, attempting and utterly failing to imitate Chong's deep bass rumble.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Didn't dig Feast but I gotta admit, the monster design for the big guys was pretty awesome. Guessing the art director just said "When in doubt, add more teeth".

Imagining the Creature designer sending plans and prototypes to the director and always getting the same note back:
"MORE TEETH"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tertius Oculum posted:

what's outside is in here now

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Yarbald posted:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, but I thought Feast was a lot of fun. Incredibly mean-spirited, but fun.

Ditto. I thought it was pretty inventive that they killed off the stock hero character two seconds after introducing him

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I have nostalgia for FEAST because it introduced me to The Vincent Black Shadow but I haven't revisited it since I was a teenager.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A Quiet Place is a really good creature feature if you haven't seen it yet.

Anyone seen Gretel and Hansel yet? Trailer looked really promising and I'm considering whether it's worth seeing in the theatres.

I’m gonna go see it tomorrow. I’m a little concerned it’s a January horror dump because the review embargo is taking us to the final hour. But Oz Perkins hasn’t led us astray yet!

I just finished Marianne and I really like their portrayal of the witch. It got me thinking - what are some of the best witch movies/shows? I want to go on a witch binge.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Ehud posted:

I just finished Marianne and I really like their portrayal of the witch. It got me thinking - what are some of the best witch movies/shows? I want to go on a witch binge.

off the top of my head... The Witch, Suspiria (original and remake), Viy, The City of the Dead, Black Sunday, The Love Witch, Häxan, Hagazussa, The Autopsy of Jane Doe, Witchfinder General, Lords of Salem

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Witches and Charmed of course.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time, and honestly it was nothing like I was expecting. Like, I knew it was about a woman having the devil's baby and all, but I wasn't expecting to be "Gaslighting: The Movie". It's like 90% Rosemary being emotionally abused by everyone in her community, and then 10% a Satanic plot at the end.

I'm pretty sure I liked it? I'm going to have to sit with this one for a little while.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah she's basically "Something's wrong with my baby!" for the first two acts and then the punchline is "yep."

I feel like it benefited greatly from being a mainstream take on a genre theme, but I haven't done the research to see how popular devil-babies were prior.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

moths posted:

Yeah she's basically "Something's wrong with my baby!" for the first two acts and then the punchline is "yep."

I feel like it benefited greatly from being a mainstream take on a genre theme, but I haven't done the research to see how popular devil-babies were prior.

I don’t know about mainstream, but it’s definitely the first “new hollywood“ take on it. The Evolution of Horror podcast has been doing occult movies this season and the host pointed out that The Devil Rides Out came out in the same year as Rosemary’s Baby, and how wildly different they feel.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know about mainstream, but it’s definitely the first “new hollywood“ take on it. The Evolution of Horror podcast has been doing occult movies this season and the host pointed out that The Devil Rides Out came out in the same year as Rosemary’s Baby, and how wildly different they feel.

The Devil Rides Out is like if Hammer mixed Rosemary's Baby with The Wicker Man

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Witches and Charmed of course.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the mundane horror of having a husband who doesn't care about your feelings and random people you don't know forcibly inserting themselves into your life is really what makes Rosemary's Baby so special. Most other films that work with a similar presence go much further into the supernatural stuff and that's just a different type of movie.

The first half of Mother! was a lot like Rosemary's Baby actually.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the mundane horror of having a husband who doesn't care about your feelings and random people you don't know forcibly inserting themselves into your life is really what makes Rosemary's Baby so special. Most other films that work with a similar presence go much further into the supernatural stuff and that's just a different type of movie.

The first half of Mother! was a lot like Rosemary's Baby actually.

When I rewatched it last year I was surprised with how fast he turns on her. My memory was that he was an rear end in a top hat who didn’t care about her feelings, like you said, and then slowly gets brought into the conspiracy. When actually he’s fully conspiring against her after one dinner and the promise of a part in a loving play.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
unsurprisingly, Richard Stanley has good taste in movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Wit4Y62Aw

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

When I rewatched it last year I was surprised with how fast he turns on her. My memory was that he was an rear end in a top hat who didn’t care about her feelings, like you said, and then slowly gets brought into the conspiracy. When actually he’s fully conspiring against her after one dinner and the promise of a part in a loving play.

It definitely is a good movie to rewatch for that reason. But I do think it's scarier when you don't know that, because you're kinda in Rosemary's shoes as she has to deal with that confusion and realization that her husband just isn't listening and isn't going to help her. As if it were a Body Snatchers movie and he'd been replaced by a pod person.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's an area where I'm not familiar, but I have the impression Polanski was a huge name outside of horror in the late 60s. Rosemary's Baby was a big deal because it was a major studio putting big money and names into what typically wouldnt have been a "serious" film.

In that way, you got this crossover appeal - like the Exorcist or Jaws later, you've got a professional execution of (what was traditionally) a drive-in concept.

I didn't realize that William Castle produced Rosemary's Baby, though! I just discovered that now, and that's a cool thing to find out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Eh. All of Polanski’s early films are horror dramas and thriller dramas. He didn’t venture out of that until the 70’s, with stuff like China Town, and even then he kept making horror.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thrillers yeah, I should have specified supernatural horror. I don't think there were any monsters or witches pre-Rosemary, which probably increased the shock of the "twist" ending.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

COOL CORN posted:

I just watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time, and honestly it was nothing like I was expecting. Like, I knew it was about a woman having the devil's baby and all, but I wasn't expecting to be "Gaslighting: The Movie". It's like 90% Rosemary being emotionally abused by everyone in her community, and then 10% a Satanic plot at the end.

I'm pretty sure I liked it? I'm going to have to sit with this one for a little while.

It definitely plays on the fears of pregnancy, particularly first time pregnancy. Going from my experience when I was pregnant with my son, despite how much I'd read up on what to expect and all the commentary/advice both solicited and not, I still had more than a few times of wondering 'what's wrong??'. First time I felt my son move, it felt more like slithering rather than the 'butterfly wings' the books described. Cravings were nothing like the 'just really having a taste for a particular something' I expected, I'd get downright snarly if I didn't eat what food I was craving. I'd watch movies that I'd been fine with before, and start bursting into tears. Not helping either was being one of the small percentage who end up having morning sickness last the entire pregnancy and even then, it was more like 24/7 sickness with it being a gamble with what would stay down this time. As much as it's stressed 'every pregnancy is different', actually experiencing it's something else.

Watching Rosemary's Baby while pregnant, I was extremely sympathetic to Rosemary because I did have a few times of voicing my concerns and being told it's nothing and feeling like the body I'd lived my life in was throwing me the finger while changing.

Second pregnancy was pretty much 'eh, this poo poo again, I'm good'.

moths posted:

Just going off the top of my head, I don't remember there being much if any before Rosemary's Baby.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

moths posted:

I didn't realize that William Castle produced Rosemary's Baby, though! I just discovered that now, and that's a cool thing to find out.

He has a pretty funny cameo in it too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

He has a pretty funny cameo in it too.

Does he? Who is he?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Does he? Who is he?

The scene where Rosemary is in the phone booth and someone stands outside the door with his back to her. You’re meant to think it’s someone involved with the conspiracy listening in, but when he turns around it’s William Castle complete with his cigar and goofy smile.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Ehud posted:

I’m gonna go see it tomorrow. I’m a little concerned it’s a January horror dump because the review embargo is taking us to the final hour. But Oz Perkins hasn’t led us astray yet!

Neon Demon! It's not really scary, but it's beautiful, and haunting

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Love Witch

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Wake Wood is really good recent film that gets looked over and it's a Hammer film

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there anything to be especially excited for this year in horror? Specifically coming to theatres?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there anything to be especially excited for this year in horror? Specifically coming to theatres?

Halloween Kills(I know I know, but the movie might still be good)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I'm looking forward to The Invisible Man, mostly because I'll watch anything with Elizabeth Moss in it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's not a major release but I liked The Wretched quite a bit. I think it comes out in May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6L6eVUxNqw

Prisoners of the Ghostland is also scheduled for this year.

E: it might be more of a thriller but Promising Young Woman is getting great reviews out of Sundance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5kiFDunk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Well, currently Color Out Of Space.

Invisible Man looks cool, and Upgrade was fun.

Charlie Kaufman's I'm Thinking of Ending Things comes out in the next month or two on Netflix, and I can't wait to see what he does with a horror film. Probably my most anticipated film of the year.