Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Comic books chat, I just finished reading the Tom King run on Mister Miracle and... whoof.

Like, it's brilliant, and funny, and oddly life affirming for something with some really dark corners, but it really gets into how depression and poor mental health and mood feel, in a visceral way.

I very much recommend it, but have something entirely fluffy prepared as a chaser.

Tom King has been a land of contrasts lately for me between his Batman run and Heroes In Crisis. But I'll forever have a huge place in my heart for both his Mister Miracle and Vision runs, both just beautiful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really liked his Vision run, the Mister Miracle run felt like it kinda petered.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i ain't glad the posters like comic books. i don't even care at all...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Riddler going all SAW/Jigsaw in the Arkham ___ games was a twist i was not at all expecting and was pretty fun

E: The animated "Gotham By Gaslight" is very silly but kind of fun. Watched that over a flight to Nashville.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Agreed about Miracle, goddamn.

Also, favorite Scorsese for me is Goodfellas. Well directed, well written, incredibly well acted.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AEW has broken my brain. I was watching that Judy Garland movie yesterday and caught myself muttering "Judy, Judy in my mind" under my breath

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Tom King brought me back into liking Batman. The War of Jokes and Riddles is great. I also like Snyder’s run where Riddler takes over Gotham. Zero Year?

Miracle Man is terrific.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the best Scorsese movie is the last temptation of Christ

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The best HP Lovecraft movie is The Mouth of Maddness.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My favourite Lovecraft film is Goodfellas

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Lighthouse is a Lovecraftian buddy fart comedy

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

flashy_mcflash posted:

My favourite Lovecraft film is Goodfellas

for as long as i can remember, i always wanted to b̞̜̜͍͡e̶̥͍̥͕ a̷̠̘̹̖̞̦ g҉̶̖͓̜̰͙̬͓̺̗̹͍͘a̧̹̰͙̪͓̥n̨͘͟͏̫͈̱̘̼̼͍̼͡g͈͎͎̻̲͍͘͡s̵̡̧̛̬̼̗͎̜̯͇̖̤̮̩t͏̕҉͍̟̭̫͈͇͓̯͡ȩ̸̣̖̱͈̭̗̳̘̮̖̘̮́̀r͘͏͎̳̳͈̝̙͎

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

frick lovecraft

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cavauro posted:

frick lovecraft

so racist that olde time white guys were like "jesus, maybe dial it back a little"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Lovecraft is a weird old racist and I don’t understand why so many people try to separate his ideology from his “cool” ideas; the ideas are not that cool and there are better things worth your time

Like even if he wasn’t a lovely racist dead guy then giant tentacle faced monsters who want to gently caress earth aren’t exactly the end-all be-all of Western creativity

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

Like even if he wasn’t a lovely racist dead guy then giant tentacle faced monsters who want to gently caress earth aren’t exactly the end-all be-all of Western creativity
That's not really what Lovecraft did well.

But regardless it's momentum in branding. I mean, WWE is an old lovely racist running a subpar show and receiving the most money and talent throwing their lives at him because of brand. And then people justifying clear bad decisions with past successes or pretending spiteful hatred is "best for business". People just get stuck on brands.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lovecraft undeniably had dogshit world views and it did bleed into some of this work but like, he's been dead for almost 100 years. I don't think there's the same amount of harm in buying a collection of his stories that there is in, let's say, buying a ticket to a Mel Gibson movie.

Eldritch horror is the only kind of spooky poo poo that can still creep me out at this point.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you cannot even fath0m my booming frick lovecraft

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

yea ok posted:

comic books make me puke lol. i'm glad people like them though
I wanna go back and say this is a 100% fair take. You could easily read a hundred comic books and not read a single good story while encountering no end of "cross over big story" pandering nostalgia pop regressive garbage. A lot of the stuff people hold up were written by horrible people, and a lot of the medium's strengths are completely wasted in giant retcons.

On the other hand it does give us moments like "Deadpool never cashed any of those cheques" so, you know, sometimes it really works.

Davros1 posted:

I was bored through the whole thing. Everyone is just so lifeless in their performances.
The movie is best encapsulated by a main character essentially giving the thumbs up before they jettison from the narrative in a pointless suicide.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

E/N:

I’m in the program (AA) so my wife, who had been lying to me about her binge drinking, is now also in the program. I mean she’s gotten a sponsor (not me!) and is going to meetings.

Her very close friend
—who had been my friend for years before either of us met the woman who would be my wife—knew about the lying and drinking and never told me. Did a lot of the drinking with her. I wanted to meet with her and us altogether and clear the air, share everyone’s story, and repair the community. Restorative justice, y’all.

Friend messages me back that she is working on herself and can’t quite deal and will let me know when she wants to talk.

Like hoooooly poo poo the loving brass balls on you to gently caress with my marriage and tell me you’ll let me know when you have time for me.

Okay I’m done.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 30, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

E/N:

I’m in the program (AA) so my wife, who had been lying to me about her binge drinking, is now also in the program. I mean she’s gotten a sponsor (not me!) and is going to meetings.

Her very close friend
—who had been my friend for years before either of us met the woman who would be my wife—knew about the lying and drinking and never told me. Did a lot of the drinking with her. I wanted to meet with her and us altogether and clear the air, share everyone’s story, and repair the community. Restorative justice, y’all.

Friend messages me back that she is working on herself and can’t quite deal and will let me know when she wants to talk.

Like hoooooly poo poo the loving brass balls on you to gently caress with my marriage and tell me you’ll let me know when you have time for me.

Okay I’m done.

Fuuuuck that person, cut them off and out, burn that friendship bridge and salt that loving Earth.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe they don't want to deal with the confrontation and consequences of what they had done.

Still doesn't excuse them and you're right to be angry with them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Captain Magic posted:

Lovecraft is a weird old racist and I don’t understand why so many people try to separate his ideology from his “cool” ideas; the ideas are not that cool and there are better things worth your time

most of his poo poo was cribbed from at-the-time obscure mythologies and religions. He was not the originator of the idea that there's a terrible tentacle thing sleeping and when it wakes up, it will eat us all. People were using that spook each before papyrus. Lovecraft is the most accessible. He was my first exposure to the idea of necromancy beyond a rpg mechanic.

BTW necromancy is way more boring than geomancy. Great if you like naps tho.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

zooted out of my mind posting in genchat. i love the incredible hulk and watermelongun

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A lot of what Lovecraft did was going through the works of Charles Fort. Another large chunk of what he did was trying to evoke the same terror and fear in his readers that he felt whenever he saw whenever he spotted an Italian.

A while back I read a book detailing both Lovecraft's inspirations as well as the unintended influences he left about. Turns out all this ancient aliens poo poo is his fault.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well now I'm just imagining somebody literally xenophobic, so much so that they piss their pants in terror whenever they see somebody outside their phenotype. Somebody who qualifies as racist but is so absolutely horrified of 'others' they're too scared to speak out against them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Captain Magic posted:

E/N:

Her very close friend

Okay I’m done.

Well, looks like that "friend" just told you who they are.

Believe them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

TTBF posted:

A lot of what Lovecraft did was going through the works of Charles Fort. Another large chunk of what he did was trying to evoke the same terror and fear in his readers that he felt whenever he saw whenever he spotted an Italian.

A while back I read a book detailing both Lovecraft's inspirations as well as the unintended influences he left about. Turns out all this ancient aliens poo poo is his fault.

Plus the times he just went "gently caress it mask off" and wrote massively racist poems where he turned his subtext into just text. I won't link to it, but there's a 1912 Lovecraft poem with a title that starts "on the creation of" that takes the already racist Kipling "half demon and half child" stuff and turns the volume up to full..

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Captain Magic posted:

I'm fine with it as long as contemporary filmmakers actively erase it, like Richard Stanley making a main character in Color Out of Space (and probably a primary character of future adaptations) a person of colour.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Pissing on the legacy of old racists is second to destroying that legacy. It's a pretty solid second though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

we really need more straight up tentacles and teeth from beyond the stars movies tho.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hulu decided it's cool to just show graphic Dr. Pimple Popper clips during their commercials.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

coconono posted:

we really need more straight up tentacles and teeth from beyond the stars movies tho.

Hellstar Remina movie when?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I see that the Outer Worlds is coming to Switch next month. Was that the good Outer W game, or was Outer Wilds better?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

They are waaaaaaay different but Outer Wilds is basically a perfect exploration/puzzle-solving game that I treasure memories of and Outer Worlds is a forgettable FPSRPG that looks really pretty and lacks a strong central narrative

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

yea ok posted:

zooted out of my mind posting in genchat. i love the incredible hulk and watermelongun

haha love you too dude

got seven hours of class this afternoon. want 2 get kidnapped or something.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

getting Kakarot for my birthday this friday and I am huffing stoked.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Outer Wilds might be my favourite game ever. Outer Worlds is a good game.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

They are waaaaaaay different but Outer Wilds is basically a perfect exploration/puzzle-solving game that I treasure memories of and Outer Worlds is a forgettable FPSRPG that looks really pretty and lacks a strong central narrative
TOWorlds has dumb poo poo from fallout injected into what is actually in retrospect more of a mass effect game.

If you're going to write satire of capitalism just giving the lunatic capitalists an excuse for why things are hosed up just deflates the whole loving process and makes all the dumb jokes grating. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a reference to the french revolution in some weird deep cut way or whatever but "We don't know how dirt works" is just not that great a twist in space.

And I mean that's basically what the game is about. That's the whole narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

coconono posted:

getting Kakarot for my birthday this friday and I am huffing stoked.

It's a great game if you love the anime and it's surprisingly great for a chill time. Like the exploration between the story beats are perfect relaxers.