Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

It's a game that needs no introduction. It's been LP'd, randomised, played backwards, forwards, up and down.

Super Metroid is a classic. A game from 1995 that still finds relevance to this day as the cornerstone of a beloved genre and at the heart of a renaissance of Indie gaming.

I could go into the history of the series, ascending and advancing from the original, through the gameboy to this point, but I won't. It is a titan and its acclaim is well deserved.

Instead I will say this:

More than ten years ago I played Super Metroid.

I got bored of the game and quit playing.

I remember almost nothing of the experience.

About the LP

I will be playing alongside my erstwhile colleague and best friend, the incredible Yorkshire Tea. Tea has played Super Metroid through and knows the ins and outs of the game. I on the other hand will be coming in with the haze of an old man that hasn't see the thing for 10 years and barely remembers anything about it through the beer fueled haze that hid it the last time.

What Tea and I are looking to do is see how much the LP format itself might change an impression of the game, how much I might have change over the years and potentially, how much my experience with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, might also have changed my attitude.

Art like the title image and the episode banners will be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too pronounce it Zee Bees.

Looking forward to this, especially after I forgot about that after the long gap between SotN and now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I am all the way here for this. Looking forward to watching this episode soon when I’m done with work!

Edit: I had no idea you’d done a SotN LP too, I’m going to be catching up on that also!

Referee fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 25, 2020

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
This is going to be a loooooong LP. Not that that's a bad thing.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 25, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

How can you walljump three seconds into the game :psyboom:

Also young me wants you to know it's Zee Bess dammit

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bellmaker posted:

:same:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, discovering how to wall jump so early on looks like it's going to cause some hilarious inadvertent frustration

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I pronounce it kinda like "Zee Bess" but more like "Zeebus"

Bremen posted:

This is going to be a loooooong LP. Not that that's a bad thing.

haha yeah, only 20-ish minutes is a nice digestible chunk of time, but this might be a lot of episodes!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
in my skul-gun, it's Zeh-Bees and you have to scream it as if being stung by a swarm.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm not particularly into metroidvania stuff - Castlevania is the exception, not the rule - but I'm always up for seeing the blind-notblind combo you and Tea provide taking on something new, so I'll definitely be lurking.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god why do you know about wall jumps, you're just gonna get yourself stuck in areas you're not supposed to be in yet. I mean, you already kinda did so by skipping the "you can shoot ground-level blocks" tutorial at first.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This should be interesting. I missed this game when I was a kid as well and, eventually going through it, found it to have aged very badly as opposed to SotN. Looking forward to seeing your take on it.

e: Also, everyone has got used to it now but Ridley is basically the single worst possible name for a dragon. Except maybe Tim.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 25, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Oh god why do you know about wall jumps, you're just gonna get yourself stuck in areas you're not supposed to be in yet. I mean, you already kinda did so by skipping the "you can shoot ground-level blocks" tutorial at first.

:shh: let them get stuck!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bellmaker posted:

How can you walljump three seconds into the game :psyboom:

She has a wall jump in Smash! I figured she must have one here as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've always pronounced it "Zeh-behss".

:allears: Amazing. Can wall jump 5 seconds into the game, gets stumped by a ground-level destructible block. And you must have tried shooting literally everything else in that "room" aside from that one block!

This is gonna be fun. :unsmigghh:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Natural 20: "I'm going to shoot everything!"

Also Natural 20: "What do I do about these blocks?"

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
This is off to a magical start :allears:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
With ten minutes sunk into the game you are already insultingly better at wall-jumping than I am.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Did you guys do an LP of the Prime series? Wasn’t on your YouTube channel. I’d love to see it, if it exists.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Oberndorf posted:

Did you guys do an LP of the Prime series? Wasn’t on your YouTube channel. I’d love to see it, if it exists.

No we've not done Prime. Both of us have played the entire Trilogy though. I suppose if there's demand we'll have a go of it, but given that we're both really familiar with the game it kinda goes against our LP philosophy of always having a player who's blind to the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

are you playing on PAL or the NTSC emulator? If you were on PAL (or I think maybe TAS level skilled in NTSC) you could have just ran out of the Chorizo Torizo room.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The way Samus is going invisible when she's supposed to be translucent (the elevators are a good example) makes this a little bit confusing to follow in places.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, using random abilities on random blocks, the mark of Metroid progress.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

The way Samus is going invisible when she's supposed to be translucent (the elevators are a good example) makes this a little bit confusing to follow in places.

Is that not meant to happen?

I'll look into it but it's probably the Switch Emulator being weird.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Is that not meant to happen?

I'll look into it but it's probably the Switch Emulator being weird.

She's supposed to blink at 30fps sometimes, which can lead to weird bouts of invisibility if the vid isn't hitting 60fps, and even weirder ones if you're exactly at 30fps (either fully invisible or visible on, say, elevators).

Where the issue is between the emulator and YouTube is anyone's guess.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The effect looks fine at 720 and 1080 because those are also 60fps, it's only an issue at 480 and below.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sindai posted:

The effect looks fine at 720 and 1080 because those are also 60fps, it's only an issue at 480 and below.

Okay good, i couldn't figure out what was wrong when I watched it myself.

The videos are encoded to be viewed at 720 or higher, you might not get the best viewing experience if you go for a lower resolution!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Natural 20 posted:

Okay good, i couldn't figure out what was wrong when I watched it myself.

The videos are encoded to be viewed at 720 or higher, you might not get the best viewing experience if you go for a lower resolution!

Sorry, I didn't notice that Youtube had decided to default to 480p for some reason - I never worry about it with older titles. It does work correctly when I manually change the resolution.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Youtube seems to default to 480p a lot for me, too. Manually setting the quality higher usually fixes it. I think it might be trying (and failing) to auto-set to your Internet/Wifi speeds.

Also, has anyone else had a problem with Youtube where sometimes it will report higher quality than it's actually running at? Videos will sometimes say they're set to 720p, but look more like 480p or lower quality, and manually setting the quality will cause Youtube to properly display.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Youtube seems to default to 480p a lot for me, too. Manually setting the quality higher usually fixes it. I think it might be trying (and failing) to auto-set to your Internet/Wifi speeds.

Also, has anyone else had a problem with Youtube where sometimes it will report higher quality than it's actually running at? Videos will sometimes say they're set to 720p, but look more like 480p or lower quality, and manually setting the quality will cause Youtube to properly display.

Yes, that happens when it says "auto" before the quality. That seems to mean "we will automatically choose a lower quality for you".

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I also got confused, way back in the day, when the game started throwing enemies at me that I couldn't hurt, and needed to shoot at from certain directions or with certain weapons.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You use the moonwalk setting because it's rad as hell, that's why.

Besides that you know that shaft you tried to get up? You totally can get to the top, the tile up there is destructible with a charge shot and some finesse in walljumping. It's commonly used in speedruns to get power bombs early and also access the wrecked ship to get the gravity suit super early.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Are actors always into intros? I feel like you might be thinking of pro wrestlers, which, yes, there is some crossover, but still..

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
"Where the hell am I now!?!" - Let's Play Super Metroid (Almost) Blind

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
God this is stressful. He's going to end up in some hellhole in Maridia without the suit, isn't he.

Added spoiler tags
- Crow

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 30, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Is it possible to get to the Maridia boss without any mobility upgrades? That would be glorious to watch. Instant gold.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I believe underwater bomb jumping is a thing you can do in this game, so it's technically possible maybe? The low% speedruns still require some combination of Gravity Suit, Speed Booster and Ice Beam. and apparently the PAL version of the game has a glitch involving the Hi-Jump Boots that lets you get away without the suit.

It's the Ice Beam I'm worried about, that thing can easily get you into places you don't want to be in.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

StoryTime posted:

God this is stressful. He's going to end up in some hellhole in Maridia without the suit, isn't he.
The possibility of something like that happening is one of the main draws of the Metroid games, imo

Even in Prime you can end up way the hell deep in the sunken frigate, get an E-Tank at least, find out you juuuust can't do the platforming up one of the final slopes, but you saved down there and have to slooowly underwater platform your way back. It's an amazing memory I never want to repeat

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 30, 2020