Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
After putting off watching the last 2 episodes for a long time I finally finished Halt And Catch Fire. What an absolutely wonderful show. My Top 10 of all time is a crowded field but this one definitely earned a spot. Like others have said it one of those that gets better as it goes along and the finale was perfect as was the final scene to bookend the opening scene of the pilot.
It's hard for me to pick a favorite character arc (maybe the evolution of Cam's hair!) but Donna really grew on me and I didn't think I'd like her at first. Toby Huss as Bosworth was a scene stealer and it was hilarious to hear Cotton Hill give advice to Cam. Scoot McNairy stole the show overall though. I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

Plowed through For All Mankind on AppleTV+ and just LOL if ya'll aren't watching this. Like with H&CF the women are successful, strong and take no bullshit. Michael Dorman (of Patriot fame) as Gordo is a blast (the man delivers monosyllabic dialogue like no other... "Yeeeaahh" "mmOkayyy") and Wrenn Schmidt reminds of Jodie Foster and Holly Hunter. The moon sequences are gorgeous and holy gently caress does this show do tension and ending scenes well. The last 2 episodes were tense as hell especially the finale and the post credits scene had me giggling like the schoolboy astronaut wannabe that I was. Lots of emotional and edge of your seat moments throughout. I cannot wait until season 2. Watch this one, folks!

Also started Schitt's Creek and I can't believe I didn't sooner. I mean, Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are enough of a reason to watch but for some reason I thought the premise was completely different and never bothered to check it out. Once I saw Chris motherfuckin' Elliot and then Emily Hampshire I was sold. The kids are fantastically obnoxious. This one is gonna be real fun isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vincent posted:

Eat (food prepared by) the rich.

No, really. Don't eat that lasagna. It will taste really bland and might make you sick.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Good comedies in the last 15 years:

It's Always Sunny
30 Rock
Workaholics
Broad City
Community
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Party Down
PEN15
Shrill
Bojack Horseman
American Vandal

I'm sure there are plenty others too but these all came to mind.

Veep
Happy Endings
Malcolm in the Middle
You're the Worst
Party Down
Legit
Man Seeking Women
Eastbound and Down
Vice Principals
Righteous Gemstones
Arrested Development
Silicon Valley
Review
Nathan For You
The Other Two
The League
Flight of the Concords
What we do in the Shadows
30 Rock
Scrubs

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've been looking forward to the Shantaram movie ever since I finished the book and learned that Depp had purchased the rights to it. After getting stuck in development hell I was happy to randomly click on a Chalie Hunnam clip on The Tonight Show or some poo poo and learn that he is starring in it now, and it's going to be an Apple TV+ show now.

Things I like: It's happening, a lot of it was filmed in Australia, it has Richard Roxborough, Justin Kurzel is involved in directing and Danny Boyles cinematographer is handling those duties for it.
Things I don't: Charlie Hunnam, there appears to be very little on-location India stuff.

Does anyone else know anything about this? Can we expect it this year?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

Veep
Happy Endings
Malcolm in the Middle
You're the Worst
Party Down
Legit
Man Seeking Women
Eastbound and Down
Vice Principals
Righteous Gemstones
Arrested Development
Silicon Valley
Review
Nathan For You
The Other Two
The League
Flight of the Concords
What we do in the Shadows
30 Rock
Scrubs

Patriot is arguably a comedy, a super dark comedy that just doesn't ever let up.

The Thick of It; the original VEEP set in the politics of the UK.

Peep Show is outstanding and one of the best "cringe" humor shows ever made.

Chuck is comedy mixed with drama-lite but is a fun casual show to binge and not think too hard.

Entourage is worth watching until you hate it. There are a couple core characters that make the show watchable, Vince isn't one of them.

Psych. If you don't like this show you are a monster.

The IT Crowd: Brit nerd humor set in a poorly run corporate IT department. It's a great intro to Matt Berry

Jean Claude Van Johnson. The pilot was spectacular, the series a fun watch, cancelled by Amazon too soon.

Black Adder: Much older, but one of the BBC GOATs for comedy.

Bojack Horseman

New Girl

Episodes w/ Matt Leblanc

Kim's Convenience

White Gold

Ash vs the Evil Dead

Neo Yokio- Do you want to listen to Jaden Smith's inner thoughts?

Santa Clarita Diet

Z Nation

iZombie

Wet Hot American Summer First Day of Camp and 10 Years Later

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go On was a wonderful show. Matthew Perry was so good in that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

pahuyuth posted:

Also started Schitt's Creek and I can't believe I didn't sooner. I mean, Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are enough of a reason to watch but for some reason I thought the premise was completely different and never bothered to check it out. Once I saw Chris motherfuckin' Elliot and then Emily Hampshire I was sold. The kids are fantastically obnoxious. This one is gonna be real fun isn't it?

Schitt's Creek has been one of the best shows on television for the last several years. I am surprised it never got more exposure until now.

As for good comedies of the last several years...

Sex Education is amazing. The premise is life of a British teenager who's mother is a sex therapist. Asa Butterfield puts on a masterful performance and it may be one of Gillian Anderson's best roles of her career. And how Ncuti Gatwa is not the next big thing already I have no idea.

I will second You're the Worst. It follows the lives of Jimmy and Gretchen along with their respective friends Edgar and Lindsey. What seems to start as a counterculture romcom quickly morphs into some of the deepest and realistic writing of many serious subjects ever done on television. It was criminally underrated when it was on. I would venture to say one of, if not the best written series of the last decade. The leads absolutely kill with the material and the secondary characters are so good you wish there was spin offs that explore their lives more. It also had what is one of the best and most satisfying finales ever. If there is one show I ever want people to watch it is generally this.

If you are ok with animation the Venture Bros always consistently knock it out of the park as well. What started off as a parody of Johnny Quest and the Hardy Bros quickly changes in to one of the deepest worlds and incredibly intricate, hilarious writing. If you grew up in the 70/80s you will catch a ton of obscure pop culture references as well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

Go On was a wonderful show. Matthew Perry was so good in that.

Did anyone ever watch Mr. Sunshine staring Matthew Perry and Allison Janney? The writing and performances on that was so drat good. It's a shame it got canceled after a season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Season 2 of Sex Education was a massive step up in quality too. Great show.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

pahuyuth posted:

Plowed through For All Mankind on AppleTV+ and just LOL if ya'll aren't watching this. Like with H&CF the women are successful, strong and take no bullshit. Michael Dorman (of Patriot fame) as Gordo is a blast (the man delivers monosyllabic dialogue like no other... "Yeeeaahh" "mmOkayyy") and Wrenn Schmidt reminds of Jodie Foster and Holly Hunter. The moon sequences are gorgeous and holy gently caress does this show do tension and ending scenes well. The last 2 episodes were tense as hell especially the finale and the post credits scene had me giggling like the schoolboy astronaut wannabe that I was. Lots of emotional and edge of your seat moments throughout. I cannot wait until season 2. Watch this one, folks!

It's a great show and more people should watch it.

Also I haven't watched Patriot, but we should turn back time and cast Michael Dorman as Kirk in the Star Trek reboot instead of Chris Pine because holy gently caress it's like he's possessed by the departed spirit of 1960s Shatner on this show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I've been going through For All Manking really slowly, only at the last two episodes, but it's really good. Really tense stuff, with likable characters (or hilarious monster people when likable characters just won't do, the main wife is hilariously hosed up).

That said, I didn't enjoy the first two episodes very much.

Big fan of everything Apple Plus atmo.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Add Better Off Ted and The Bitch In Apartment 23 to the good sitcoms list.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Add Better Off Ted and The Bitch In Apartment 23 to the good sitcoms list.

The Bitch in Apartment 23 was a great show killed by a terrible name and marketing. When I finally got around to watching it I loved it, but it had been cancelled by then.

The Tick is another good comedy that’s gone too soon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RIP to the Grinder

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

RIP to the Grinder

:emptyquote:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When I finally got around to watching it I loved it, but it had been cancelled by then.

That's what happened to Better Off Ted for me. I didn't even know about it until after it had been canceled and loved it. It was basically my fault it got canceled. Sorry everyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Apt 23 was incredible. JVDB completely reinvented himself on that show and the season 2 DWTS subplot was prophetic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goldberg from Mighty Ducks got arrested last night. He's 41 years old. 36 years old in the middle pic. Stay off meth kids.

Also the pilot of Picard is (officially) up on Youtube if you're on the fence about springing for the CBS sub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PPm5l3o2zw

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 30, 2020

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

RIP to the Grinder

Grind on my sweet friend in TV heaven

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all should boycott the Super Bowl, imo. That'd really show em

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

RIP to the Grinder

That shows cancellation is a condemnation pf everything that Network TV stands for.

Rob Lowe and Timothy Olyphant dueling against each other as two delusional celebs over who is the better fake lawyer? That episode alone should've guaranteed a second season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Y'all should boycott the Super Bowl, imo. That'd really show em

I wonder how many of those moms there really are these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whole lotta Karens.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In the opening of episode 2 of Picard the android cataclysm is triggered by hearing just one too many a bad pun.

Okay not really but if you stop watching the episode right at that moment it's magical

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

EL BROMANCE posted:

From what I saw that have like 5K followers on Twitter but 93K on Facebook. Makes sense, FB is getting to be for olds. Their kids probably are long gone and resent them, they're just regressive homophobes.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Oh man the Mick was pretty good too. I was surprised that got canceled.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Djarum posted:

Oh man the Mick was pretty good too. I was surprised that got canceled.

:hmmyes:

I think that one bought it because they needed room for Last Man Standing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno if any of y'all have ever seen any of LMS but it is literally Boomer Facebook: The TV Show

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I saw like one episode of it and it was like watching a bizarro world All In the Family where Archie is always right and Meathead is always wrong.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh and lots of flags, gotta support the troops

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If we're talking non-US sitcoms, Derry Girls and Young Offenders are two of my favourite shows of recent years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I can't recall the circumstances under which I saw part of an episode of LMS, but I know I would have rather watched just about anything else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't recall the circumstances under which I saw part of an episode of LMS, but I know I would have rather watched just about anything else.

You were at your parents house for a holiday or family event

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Croatoan posted:

From what I saw that have like 5K followers on Twitter but 93K on Facebook. Makes sense, FB is getting to be for olds. Their kids probably are long gone and resent them, they're just regressive homophobes.

What's the opposite of decimated? Because it seems that's happened. RIP the moms. You died doing what you did best, wasting everyone's time with stupid letter writing campaigns over bigoted nonsense.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pentyne posted:

That shows cancellation is a condemnation pf everything that Network TV stands for.

Rob Lowe and Timothy Olyphant dueling against each other as two delusional celebs over who is the better fake lawyer? That episode alone should've guaranteed a second season.

seriously. not renewing was loving baffling

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

That doesn't seem right, but that's the only way I can explain having seen about 1/2 an episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

Thats how I saw it. I wasn't even opposed to watching it, after all I watched Home Improvement with my parents as a kid, so this will be like the same thing right?!?!

On a related note Home Improvement is like the opposite of Fresh Prince on how it holds up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The one I saw was about how spanking was good and Tim Allens liberal moron daughter ended up losing her patience and spanking her son over something and all the adults got to nod smugly and knowingly at each other

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A big problem with doing a live action One Piece is that there's no way to make it that isn't going to be expensive as poo poo. Even the idea of making it "live action" is kind of ridiculous for just how much is going to have to be CG. Its going to be like that scene from the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie where he visits space and it is just a live action head floating around in a completely CG world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has there ever been a good live action anime adaption