Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

It matters for China though because only they can ostensibly use conventional ICBMs in a conflict without prompting a response.

Vs who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Using a conventional ICBM would be so loving dumb on so many levels

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

"We pinky swear the dozens of ICBMs flying towards your country are totally conventional"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

Vs who?

I was trying to get this in before your edit :mad:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

Vs who?

Presumably the United States to keep their carrier battlegroups at arms reach.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It's a strategy the PLA has been committing its entire force structure around for years now, they seem pretty confident it is in fact not dumb, but probably actually extremely effective at blunting American force projection in their backyard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I was trying to get this in before your edit :mad:

Well I was being both cheeky and didn't see the "unconventional" ICBM. I dunno if Israel even has ICBMs or just medium to long range stuff, but hypothetically if Israel decided to nuke Iran, are there treaty alliances that would demand a nuclear response

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The DF-31/41 are not intended to be used with conventional warheads. Chinese policy to employ them only in retaliation; any situation in which they're launched will be treated like a full blown nuclear strike.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bewbies posted:

The DF-31/41 are not intended to be used with conventional warheads. Chinese policy to employ them only in retaliation; any situation in which they're launched will be treated like a full blown nuclear strike.

I appear to be thinking of the DF-21D (CSS-5 Mod-4) Anti-ship ballistic missile.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

What other countries have no-first-use policies besides China

India officially stated a no-first-use policy in 1998, but has ambiguously abandoned-it-but-maybe-not last year.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Presumably from his handler and he was motivated by ideological reasons. If the tweet/reddit are real, which they probably aren’t, and giving medals to people permanently in the US seems much too sloppy for the KGB besides.

It would indeed be sloppy, but who knows. Both the CIA and the KGB in retrospect turned out to be less universally competent than one might think.

But I also vaguely reading some biography of a US dude who turned KGB and earned medals from his handlers. The physical medals were held for him in Moscow pending his purported eventual move there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain von Trapp posted:

It would indeed be sloppy, but who knows. Both the CIA and the KGB in retrospect turned out to be less universally competent than one might think.

But I also vaguely reading some biography of a US dude who turned KGB and earned medals from his handlers. The physical medals were held for him in Moscow pending his purported eventual move there.
The mole in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy bragged about being awarded KGB medals

John Le Carre posted:

“He would say therefore that from ’56 on, he was a committed, full-time Soviet mole with no holds barred. In 1961 he formally received Soviet citizenship, and over the next ten years two Soviet medals—quaintly, he would not say which, though he insisted that they were “top stuff.”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo did you guys know USS Houston killed a guy while they were filming for Hunt for Red October? It snagged a tow cable in passing and sank a tugboat attached to a barge.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 30, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
While we're on the subject of nuclear strikes, I've got a question that I guess we can really only speculate about. I work for a major goldmine in Outback Australia. The nearest town is 35km away and has a population of around 1200.

Would we be a target? If the SIOP at its nuttiest was putting half a dozen warheads on an isolated bridge in Siberia, it seems like permanently denying the resource and infrastructure we have here to the enemy would make sense.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Memento posted:

While we're on the subject of nuclear strikes, I've got a question that I guess we can really only speculate about. I work for a major goldmine in Outback Australia. The nearest town is 35km away and has a population of around 1200.

Would we be a target? If the SIOP at its nuttiest was putting half a dozen warheads on an isolated bridge in Siberia, it seems like permanently denying the resource and infrastructure we have here to the enemy would make sense.

Probably not. Both US and USSR did counterforce targeting; that bridge was on some potential military reinforcement path. Countervalue strikes against economic targets like gold mines were generally not a priority, from what I’ve read?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Holy poo poo did you guys know USS Houston killed a guy while they were filming for Hunt for Red October? It snagged a tow cable in passing and sank a tugboat attached to a barge.

My god what a cursed boat

Wikipedia posted:

The error was realized when the first call of "flooding in crews mess" was made over the 1 MC.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Yikes

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wow. This is like the USS Cowpens, but with "turning off vital alarms" and "dangerous flooding" instead of "personnel based gypsy curse"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

My God what a cursed boat,
She steams at full ahead
the mess is flooding now
My God what a cursed boat!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

I appear to be thinking of the DF-21D (CSS-5 Mod-4) Anti-ship ballistic missile.

DF-21 and DF-26 are not ICBMs. And in their ASBM role they have been emphatically called by the Chinese to not possess nuclear warheads. That is done on purpose.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Presumably from his handler and he was motivated by ideological reasons. If the tweet/reddit are real, which they probably aren’t, and giving medals to people permanently in the US seems much too sloppy for the KGB besides.

They gave a medal to one of their British spies after they retired from their day job. It's not totally unknown. It's honestly probably less noticeable than large cash deposits.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Memento posted:

quoting for siop

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
We don’t and probably never will know Soviet nuclear warplans. There is probably always a contingency for nuking economic targets that aren’t cities, electrical, or critical infrastructure. In the same vein I’ve read stories that New Zealand thought that making themselves nuclear free would spare them Soviet ICBMs

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Top Hats Monthly posted:

We don’t and probably never will know Soviet nuclear warplans. There is probably always a contingency for nuking economic targets that aren’t cities, electrical, or critical infrastructure. In the same vein I’ve read stories that New Zealand thought that making themselves nuclear free would spare them Soviet ICBMs

Kiwis stopped reading On the Beach halfway through or something and held a (mostly) collective belief that they’d be (mostly) spared from nuclear armageddon. A major paper, in the 80’s I think, ran an article to the affect of “no we’d still be hosed, and not because of Shute’s radiation, but because we depend so heavily on imports that there’d be immediate famine. And our agriculture is also dependent on things like petrol imports so that’d collapse and would revert to, like, early modern agriculture so more famine. And maybe some radiation too.”

mostly cobbled together from vague memories and my boyfriend’s kiwidad so this could all be false idk

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

zoux posted:

Well I was being both cheeky and didn't see the "unconventional" ICBM. I dunno if Israel even has ICBMs or just medium to long range stuff, but hypothetically if Israel decided to nuke Iran, are there treaty alliances that would demand a nuclear response

Like what, Saudia Arabia would nuke more of Iran?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

zoux posted:

Vs who?
CVBG's

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Groda posted:

Like what, Saudia Arabia would nuke more of Iran?

No like Russia or uh Pakistan? would nuke Israel and please tell me the Saudis don't have nukes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I saw the Talking Heads play there, that was a great show.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

zoux posted:

No like Russia or uh Pakistan? would nuke Israel and please tell me the Saudis don't have nukes

If anyone has "sell me a nuke" money, it's the house of Saud.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

FMguru posted:

I saw the Talking Heads play there, that was a great show.

I appear to be thinking of Max's Kansas City.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

"Depth excursion" is a nice euphemism

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Kiwis stopped reading On the Beach halfway through or something and held a (mostly) collective belief that they’d be (mostly) spared from nuclear armageddon. A major paper, in the 80’s I think, ran an article to the affect of “no we’d still be hosed, and not because of Shute’s radiation, but because we depend so heavily on imports that there’d be immediate famine. And our agriculture is also dependent on things like petrol imports so that’d collapse and would revert to, like, early modern agriculture so more famine. And maybe some radiation too.”

mostly cobbled together from vague memories and my boyfriend’s kiwidad so this could all be false idk

I have no idea about the specific example of New Zealand, but food security and reliance on imports is a big deal for a ton of countries across the world. It's one of the big things that would gently caress a ton of people up if there was ever a disaster (natural or man made) that impacted just one of the big net-exporters badly enough that they had to conserve resources for themselves.

To put this into perspective: the shift towards making corn into gas in the US caused noticeable spikes in the price of food in a lot of other countries, and some major problems in countries that extensively subsidize grains for their poor. I forget the details, but IIRC the last time this came up in a big way was when a drought cut back on the US/Canadian corn crop pretty heavily during Obama's administration and there was pressure to relax the ethanol fuel mandates because rising corn prices were loving up a lot of things abroad.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

zoux posted:

Saudi Arabia has said they will obtain nuclear weapons if Iran does so.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

glynnenstein posted:

Saudi Arabia has said they will obtain nuclear weapons if Iran does so.

I assume that means buy them from Pakistan. I recall reading somewhere that overtures had been made.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yes, pretty much. Which is a pretty big reason for most countries NOT wanting Iran to have nukes in the first place.
If Iran has them, S.Arabia will get them and then Turkey will want some of those too.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
And it is 2020. Nukes are a 1940s technology. It's a miracle the NPT regime has worked as well as it has.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Well, assassinating the odd scientist..or twelve tends to help keeping things somewhat controlled. With a sprinkle of air strikes, for good measure.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Speaking of nuclear non-proliferation, did you know China has a conventional boomer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing-class_submarine

It's official purpose is very sensible: it is a test submarine, for trying out new technology. It's just a coincidence that this sort of shorty boomer is exactly like what DPRK is building or Pakistan could operate if they wanted deterrence patrols.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of nuclear non-proliferation, did you know China has a conventional boomer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing-class_submarine

It's official purpose is very sensible: it is a test submarine, for trying out new technology. It's just a coincidence that this sort of shorty boomer is exactly like what DPRK is building or Pakistan could operate if they wanted deterrence patrols.

Ok, boomer.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There is a whole lot going on.

https://twitter.com/oriana0214/status/1222911900729729026?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Neither Russia nor Pakistan would go on any military adventure on behalf of Iran. There's no alliance between these countries, and no friendship either.

Iran does not have any ally that are stronger than itself. You can sorta count Assad Syria, perhaps Iraq, and non-state organization like Hezbollah in Lebanon or Hamas in Gaza. None of them have nukes, or are in any position to come to the rescue of Iran, the most they could do could be some harassment on the side but if Iran is hosed with nukes, why even bother attempting to intervene, it's not like they could make a difference.