Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Wistful of Dollars posted:

At the end of the day the best boot is the one that fits your foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Bout to go out for day 2 at big white. There's soo much snow
Did a lot more tree runs than I had dreamed of for my first time. Easter Chutes, and Enchanted forest were awesome

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ughhhh, just checked the forecast for Mt Hood this weekend.

quote:

Friday looks warm enough for an outdoor shower or tanning: the snow level will be 9000′ early and 12,000′ by the afternoon with on-slope temps nearing 50 degrees! Rain starts the day and sunshine ends it. About 0.4” rain falls in the morning before the sun arrives, giving the mountain a decent shot at rainbows. Wind will be W 40 in the morning and then will switch to WSW 40 in the afternoon and build to WSW 55 overnight. Warm weather sticks around Saturday. A powerful NW cold front arrives Saturday night bringing massive snowfall by Sunday morning, assuming nothing changes.

Running a slopestyle comp on Saturday (though I'm trying my best to not be too critical to this one since it's my birthday) and doing timing for a banked slalom on Sunday. If it's just cold and there's not "massive snowfall" by Sunday morning it's going to be a miserable course.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

knox_harrington posted:

I used Soul7 HDs in the trees in Whistler and they were good, but I think for around here / Verbier I'd go for something a bit thinner. Certainly if you're touring.

Thanks, maybe something like Bent Chetler 100s? I really like the look of the Soul 7s though and I've heard you can really put the brakes on hard when in complex terrain, most of the touring would be done with work anyway, just want to start dipping my toes in to backcountry in the next few years, just the kit is so expensive to start off with.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Eejit posted:

The new marker m Werks kingpins are supposed to be dope as well. Hella burly 6 spring pin setup in the toe and a traditional alpine heel piece for descent

Yar. I have the second year (2015?) model and really like them. Downhill has always felt secure and I’m not at all afraid to hit small jumps/drops of a few feet or less, which is all my old rear end is interested in anyway.

I may wind up just pulling them off my Nomads when I replace them and wait another couple of years to upgrade.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/01/27/ski-resortex-employee-tampers-chairlift/

Scary poo poo. Disgruntled ex employee tampering with chairlifts at Baldy.in BC.

EDIT: can't tell from the article if the employee just stole /destroyed inspection records and paperwork or actually hosed with the lifts.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 28, 2020

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
As someone who's only skied Europe I'd love to know what the general difference is between NA (specifically Canada) and European resorts, looking to get a posting with the army to Medicine Hat south of Calgary for two years and would be interested to know people's views on the skiing.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

As someone who's only skied Europe I'd love to know what the general difference is between NA (specifically Canada) and European resorts, looking to get a posting with the army to Medicine Hat south of Calgary for two years and would be interested to know people's views on the skiing.

BATUS? I skied with the WO1 who was in charge of AT there when we were in La Grave for my SF3. Looks like he has quit since.

The people who live locally will know best, but from my limited experience the shape of the mountains in Canada / USA tends to mean there is a lot more skiable area and lots more runs. The runs aren't bashed in the same way as in Europe as the snow seems to be topped up more continually.

Skiing in the trees was fantastic. This was Whistler.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Everything in the ski area boundary is generally open to skiing, patrolled, and avalanche controlled. I have heard that's not the case in europe? And here you have a self contained area of lifts and runs, and not like some huge network of stuff across mountain ranges with little huts you can stop off in and whatnot.

Fernie, Sunshine, Lake Louise are all big resorts and relatively nearby. I skied at sunshine yesterday. Would have been nice if they had some fresh snow but it was still a decent day. Been awhile since I've been to a place that big. They have a heated bubble chair! I'm used to slow, old doubles without safety bars.

Castle mountain is probably the closest to medicine hat. It's small, but has some good terrain off the top chair. Not the place to go if you want high speed chairs and a lot of groomed runs.

Also I want to say costs and the way you buy tickets can be different. Here you generally buy a ticket that gets you as many rides on the lifts as you want for the full day. There are afternoon tickets and sometimes "x number of hours" and sometimes a ticket for one trip to the top if you want to go touring out of bounds. To ski at sunshine yesterday it was 117, which didn't actually seem too bad given my lovely local hill with two chairs is $52 us. And if we'd bought tickets at costco or were planning to ski multiple days you can usually save a few bucks with something like a sunshine pass, ikon pass, mountain collective, etc.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 29, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRruzeLwB-o

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dope. Makes me want to go get a playful board instead of the assassin I have.

highme
May 25, 2001

I think the Capita Mercury that Longo rides compares similarly to the Assassin. He's just not really human.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MonkeyLibFront posted:

It depends on where in Europe you ski, but in all likelihood when the poster above mentioned Lake Louise, Banff and Sunshine being "big" resorts, you will think they're tiny compared to the big resorts in the Alps.

Skiing in NA will feel way smaller, but also more relaxed. It isn't such an engrained part of the culture like it is in large parts of Europe, especially not in Medicine Hat. It will also be cold, but since the alps are also pretty cold a lot of the time, perhaps not so much colder than you're used to. -20 to -30 is pretty normal in the rockies for a large part of winter.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Holy gently caress big white was incredible today. We have had pretty decent topoffs overnight the last two days at about 10cm a piece so the snow was fantastic, but so far the visibility had been atrocious. At about 12:30 the skies just parted and we had a perfect blue bird afternoon.

I feel like I've gotten absolutely everything l wanted out of the trip in the first two days.

PSA: the Easter Chutes off Black Forest are not the same as those off Bullet express. I had gone through the ones off Bullet 4 times before going into the ones off black forest and there was a whole bunch of branch ducking and other schenanegans happening in there. Got stuck 2-3 times in the powder and then konked my head real good off a tree. Been about 4 hours and I don't seem to have a concussion. Helmets ftw

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ugghhh inject this poo poo right into my veins

I'm finally gonna get out this weekend in PA since all the trails should be open, then next weekend in VT at prob Stowe and Jay. There's some kinda storm brewing for this weekend so hopefully it turns out to be more snow than rain.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

HookShot posted:

It depends on where in Europe you ski, but in all likelihood when the poster above mentioned Lake Louise, Banff and Sunshine being "big" resorts, you will think they're tiny compared to the big resorts in the Alps.

Skiing in NA will feel way smaller, but also more relaxed. It isn't such an engrained part of the culture like it is in large parts of Europe, especially not in Medicine Hat. It will also be cold, but since the alps are also pretty cold a lot of the time, perhaps not so much colder than you're used to. -20 to -30 is pretty normal in the rockies for a large part of winter.

Yeah, colder in Canada for sure.

Having skied in Europe for the past two years in a row, the biggest difference is that NA resorts is that the runs are usually cut through trees and are really wide compared to European pistes. So honestly, NA skiing generally feels bigger to me.

You can also ski ungroomed/off piste areas that are way steeper or more technical with greater ease. As in, those areas are lift served and intended for regular skiing. In Europe, sure you can ski wheverer you want, but high chance that it's in uncontrolled avy terrain.

I found St Anton to be kick rear end this year, and I had some baller turns at Kitz the year prior, but honestly I generally prefer NA skiing

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I genuinely miss the death-scrum to get on the first gondola at Hintertux in October with the rest of the racers.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Fifty Three posted:

My buddy was just there yesterday and said conditions were terrible. Lazy grooming and mounds the size of cars.

Fake edit: Forgot he sent me a picture.

Thanks for posting this. This is the first year since 2003 I don't think I'll get to do any snowboarding at all, due to having a baby to take care of. My parents live near Wisp so I always either go there and stay the weekend or just take a day trip to Whitetail, which has been looking pretty crappy on the webcams. Seems like I picked a good year to have a kid because I'm not missing anything. I do hope we just get one medium-size snowstorm at any point so I can set up my homemade rail and build a jump in my yard, but it's been pretty warm and lets see, up to 60 degrees next week so yeah.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Eejit posted:

Having skied in Europe for the past two years in a row, the biggest difference is that NA resorts is that the runs are usually cut through trees and are really wide compared to European pistes. So honestly, NA skiing generally feels bigger to me.

This is untrue at heavenly and northstar from my experience. Especially the center part of heavenly where everything seems to be 3-4 snowcats wide

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

davebo posted:

I do hope we just get one medium-size snowstorm at any point...
Same here. I have new skis I wanted to break in before my annual trip, and I don't want to go into it completely cold but I can't justify paying like $80 for poo poo conditions at the local places.:(

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

davebo posted:

I do hope we just get one medium-size snowstorm.

Would you settle for a large snowstorm the size of a small snowstorm

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Dangerllama posted:

Who’s got Shifts? Are they worth an upgrade over Kingpins?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a solid demo fleet in Denver/metro in addition to Bent Gate? Evo has been hit or miss since Matt sold Edgeworks to them forever ago. Never been to Powder7.

shifts are almost worse than kingpins depending on your usecase, if you tour a lot they're worse, if you resort a lot they're better

I've had no issues with the kingpins, and have had proper release when I caught an edge going about 60km/h on a groomer

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Finally had the chance to watch this year’s Knuckle Huck. Honestly, if this was the only event held at the X Games I would not be upset

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Macnult posted:

Finally had the chance to watch this year’s Knuckle Huck. Honestly, if this was the only event held at the X Games I would not be upset

Ski and snowboard were both very good. The gold medals in both were super dope.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
East Coast snowboarder going to CO (Winter Park) for the first time next week. Any tips for a rockies noob?

Also, any riders here ever get severe front foot pain? Like 1 run in and my front foot is screaming in pain on any toeside turns or flat sections. Usually "fix" it by loosening my boot, but it lingers for the whole day and kills my confidence. Adjustments I've made this season are adding arch support orthotics (I have super flat feet) and narrowing my stance (from 24" to 21") but so far neither has helped.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

East Coast snowboarder going to CO (Winter Park) for the first time next week. Any tips for a rockies noob?

Also, any riders here ever get severe front foot pain? Like 1 run in and my front foot is screaming in pain on any toeside turns or flat sections. Usually "fix" it by loosening my boot, but it lingers for the whole day and kills my confidence. Adjustments I've made this season are adding arch support orthotics (I have super flat feet) and narrowing my stance (from 24" to 21") but so far neither has helped.

I get this sometimes because my boots are too big and my heels lift which causes pain along the outside of my front foot. Is your foot fairly locked in or does it move around?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Winter Park brain dump:

Drink lots of water. Ski Panoramic if it’s nice out. If it’s super windy, don’t. If there’s new snow, traverse to Belle Fourche and do a few laps on Eagle Wind. The Club Car has good bloody marys if you like those. And Mary Jane Ale if you don’t. Challenger will get you to the best bumps. Super Gauge will get you there faster, but the lines get long. Trestle and Outhouse aren’t the steepest or deepest, but are classic runs.

The Cirque is good steeps but looks thin this year and they haven’t opened a lot up. Same with the Jane chutes. Depends on how puckered your want to get. If you like steep but want to beta test, do Runaway. The chutes are steeper and narrower.

The best blues and easy blacks are on the Winter Park side (Don’t ski Hughes. Do ski Cranmer). Stay away from Pioneer lift if you’re on a board. The traverse is interminable. Eskimo Express will get you to park features if that’s your jam. The best trees, steeper stuff, and bumps are Jane side.

NB: The goods are in the woods. Go exploring.

Fontenots has good po boys. Deno’s is good too, but gets busy.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 30, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Plank Walker posted:

I have flat arches and the tighter i do my boots the more mid-foot pain I usually get. Just a tradeoff for responsiveness vs comfort I guess.

I should probably get stiffer bindings/boots for the carving I like to do

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Plank Walker posted:

Which part of your foot is hurting, and how old are your boots? My current boots used to hurt my left ankle until I got Downunder inserts, and then for some reason pushing my angles out from 13°/-8° (shoutout to The Channel lol) to 18°/-15° completely eliminated the problem.

Edit: These are the orthotics I’m talking about. Here’s to posting at work:

I’m weird and have a mid arch on my right foot, and a high arch on my left, and these things mold to your foot rather than having it be a standard low/mid/high selection. Normally we sell these to boarders, and then Sedis footbeds to skiers. I should’ve gotten something like this years ago. Plus I use the footbeds that came with my boots for my skate shoes.

Macnult fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 30, 2020

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Macnult posted:

Which part of your foot is hurting, and how old are your boots? My current boots used to hurt my left ankle until I got Downunder inserts, and then for some reason pushing my angles out from 13°/-8° (shoutout to The Channel lol) to 18°/-15° completely eliminated the problem.

Edit: These are the orthotics I’m talking about. Here’s to posting at work:

I’m weird and have a mid arch on my right foot, and a high arch on my left, and these things mold to your foot rather than having it be a standard low/mid/high selection. Normally we sell these to boarders, and then Sedis footbeds to skiers. I should’ve gotten something like this years ago. Plus I use the footbeds that came with my boots for my skate shoes.

I probably have about 14 days of riding in my current boots, over 3 seasons. Bought a pair of "shred soles" this season to help with the arches. My right (back) foot is even worse arch-wise, since a high ankle sprain 5 years ago killed what little arch I had in it, but it's the left (front) foot that gives me pain and has since before the injury. Tried the inserts walking around and finally on the slopes last weekend; definitely helped ankle ROM, but didn't fix the pain issue.

The pain is in the entire forefoot, it sort of feels like ball of my foot lifts away from the sole on heelside and curls and presses on toeside BUT loosening the bindings lessens the pain. I'm leaning towards it being a technique issue I need to work on.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Plank Walker posted:

The pain is in the entire forefoot, it sort of feels like ball of my foot lifts away from the sole on heelside and curls and presses on toeside BUT loosening the bindings lessens the pain. I'm leaning towards it being a technique issue I need to work on.

Are your boots a little roomy? A friend of mine bought a pair of boots that were a bit on the larger side, which didn’t seem like much at the time, but when they broke in he had the same issue you described with the balls of his feet. If this is the case, I’m thinking it could be that combined with your bindings hitting a pressure point on your foot.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This thing just popped up on CL. According to the ad it was made in the 60s. Hell yeah.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Would you settle for a large snowstorm the size of a small snowstorm

No! If it's not gonna be at least medium then just forget it and I can just get started on my Spring yardwork.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This thing just popped up on CL. According to the ad it was made in the 60s. Hell yeah.

So do you sit on it while wearing skis?

Because that's the kind of laziness that appeals to me

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Sunshine looks set to get a decent dumping of snow finally, we didn't see much in January of note. Any Calgary/Canmore/Banff goons headed out tomorrow?

Edit: I've been sick with the flu all week and watching this weather forecast get better and better and if this storm doesn't materialize I'm gonna lose it

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 31, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm planning a driving route into Jackson Hole from the south and am wondering which is the best approach if there's a possibility of snow around JH on the drive in. Any goons have experience driving into JH and have thoughts?

3 main options seem to be:
1. I-15 through SLC up to Idaho Falls then cut over to Teton Pass (Swan Valley > Victor > 22)
2. Cut through Park City and take 89 all the way until it hits 191 just after Hoback (also could cut over to 89 from further up I-15, going through Soda Springs I believe)
3. Take 191 in from Rock Springs (going through either Denver or Avon)

With clear roads it looks like option 1 would be the fastest for me (especially since it spends the most time on Utah interstate), but not by that much. Also looks like this route spends the least amount of distance on windy mountain roads. However, it sounds like Teton Pass is the most likely to close in the event that there is a bad storm. In the event that the pass closes, it sounds like 89 is probably the next best option (and gives me the option to monitor pass conditions and not make the call until I'm getting close to SLC). That sound right?

In any event, I can't wait to not send it off Corbet's.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I drove to JH from Telluride and it’s an okay drive through Utah but once you hit Wyoming it is a wind scoured hellscape. I had the pleasure of sitting in the front seat of a sheriff’s car next to an assault rifle fifteen while he grilled me about why I was so nervous. He let us go because I told him he was welcome to search the car because we didn’t have anything illegal. Turns out we did and I just didn’t know about it but he let us go anyway. So drive carefully.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you want snow, schedule a speed race.

Zero centimeters in the forecast, woke up to about 10-15. Snowed hard throughout the day, at least another 20 fell. Training run was scheduled to start at 10:15, finally got under way at 1:35.

I haven't gotten into town here in Kimberley to the bakery yet :(

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

HookShot posted:

If you want snow, schedule a speed race.

Zero centimeters in the forecast, woke up to about 10-15. Snowed hard throughout the day, at least another 20 fell. Training run was scheduled to start at 10:15, finally got under way at 1:35.

I haven't gotten into town here in Kimberley to the bakery yet :(

You’ve got to be the only person I’ve ever seen disappointed by 15 overnight and then another 20! :dance:

Racers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I drove to JH from Telluride and it’s an okay drive through Utah but once you hit Wyoming it is a wind scoured hellscape. I had the pleasure of sitting in the front seat of a sheriff’s car next to an assault rifle fifteen while he grilled me about why I was so nervous. He let us go because I told him he was welcome to search the car because we didn’t have anything illegal. Turns out we did and I just didn’t know about it but he let us go anyway. So drive carefully.

The entirety of Wyoming is a wind tunnel incorporated into a state