Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

H110Hawk posted:

Normal operating procedure is to use the cat5. What is your goal here by ripping out perfectly good wire?

I would leave as much as you can in the garage and just put a switch inside the house to give you more gig-e ports.

If we're talking about pre-existing wire pulled through a house, then you're probably stuck because they most likely pulled the cable raw through the bare walls without using conduit - which means that if you tried to use the old cable to pull the new, you're going to hit a snag around a corner and lose the cable in the wall.

H110Hawk posted:

(toolless keystones) Oh and those monoprice ones are garbage.

pretty much all toolless jacks I've encountered have been terrible regardless of maker. The standard punchdown (tool required) jacks from Monoprice are fine, but if we're talking about doing your own house you might as well just pay the little extra for some Leviton jacks and a cheap punchdown tool.

Heners_UK posted:

Also, while we're on the subject, does anyone have a good guide to pulling cables if you've never done it before?
Here's one about how to pull wire into your walls when you have access to crawlspaces etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA4XhdWIqK0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone use Untangle? I have it installed on a 1u server and it's been running inline for a couple weeks and I like it but wanted some other opinions before I drop the money on it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

BlackMK4 posted:

If you're rack mount do you just mount a rack to the wall above the box?

You could do a rack if you care about appearance, or you could mount a piece of plywood on your wall then screw the equipment onto that by rotating the rack ears 90 degrees (doesn't work for all rack ears, check yours out first). Wouldn't recommend server hardware being mounted as such, but 1u networking hardware is relatively light weight.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

H110Hawk posted:

Normal operating procedure is to use the cat5. What is your goal here by ripping out perfectly good wire?

I would leave as much as you can in the garage and just put a switch inside the house to give you more gig-e ports.

I'll check what is printed on the wire when I stop by the place later today. I plan on running gbit for most and some 10gbe, which I figured meant I would be repulling some of the wire, but maybe that was wrong.

I think my biggest apprehension about this is that the Ubiquiti stuff runs fairly hot and I live in Arizona. I am mostly worried about leaving the POE switch, router, and modem in the garage and it overheating.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 30, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I think my biggest apprehension about this is that the Ubiquiti stuff runs fairly hot and I live in Arizona. I am mostly worried about leaving the POE switch, router, and modem in the garage and it overheating.

All of my gear lives in my garage and it's been fine.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

I'll check what is printed on the wire when I stop by the place later today. I plan on running gbit for most and some 10gbe, which I figured meant I would be repulling some of the wire, but maybe that was wrong.

I think my biggest apprehension about this is that the Ubiquiti stuff runs fairly hot and I live in Arizona. I am mostly worried about leaving the POE switch and router in the garage and it overheating.

Check the specs on the Ubiquiti website. They've got the min-max operating temperatures listed for all of their equipment.

For their standard stuff, an unconditioned garage that hits triple digits might not be ideal. They do have "industrial" rated switches that handle up to 140F though.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Some cheap USB fans can help with airflow if you can power them.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

Anyone use Untangle? I have it installed on a 1u server and it's been running inline for a couple weeks and I like it but wanted some other opinions before I drop the money on it.

Why not just use Opnsense for free?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

All of my gear lives in my garage and it's been fine.

Sold. Thank you, IOC :)

Heners_UK posted:

Some cheap USB fans can help with airflow if you can power them.

Good calll, I'll see what I'm working with.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Check the specs on the Ubiquiti website. They've got the min-max operating temperatures listed for all of their equipment.

For their standard stuff, an unconditioned garage that hits triple digits might not be ideal. They do have "industrial" rated switches that handle up to 140F though.

Looks like 113f is the lowest for what I have. I think that'll get me through all but a couple months of summer, though maybe this garage will be a little cooler than what I am used to.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Also don’t just use the entire 1u server as a router, install esxi and install whatever router software you want as a VM. That way you can use it for other VMs and services as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

For 10gbe on a long pull with lovely gear yes you will likely wind up repulling, but you're going to more likely lose the wire in the wall. If it's a straight vertical pull and you attach the two wires together extraordinarily well it will likely work assuming nothing at all sharp is near it to rub the sheathing off.

If you have a short run (think <50meters) I would test even base cat5 (which tends to qualify as cat5e even if it wasn't at the factory) at 10gbe using iperf3. You might be surprised at what you get. You will want high quality terminations everywhere and brand name nics pushing it. If it doesn't work out I would give up quickly. Dumb question: Why 10g? :v:

(For iperf you will want to make sure you're doing it bidirectionally with multiple threads for multiple minutes and watch your CPU usage during the test. You don't want to wind up with 1 cpu core pegged at 100% and iperf saying it's only able to get 800mbps or something dumb. All of your cpu cores should be well utilized to get an accurate test if you're going below line rate.)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
For what it's worth, my Mac Mini has no problem at 10gb full duplex on 10 year old cat5e, connecting to a UniFi switch. I was sure I'd have to re-pull!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Sold. Thank you, IOC :)

I mean, I fully expect that at some point some device will die sooner than it normally would have. But so far the only component failure I've had has been a fan in the cheap Thinkpad I'm using as a container host / backup storage, and I can't exactly fault that considering laptops aren't meant to run 24x7.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

Why not just use Opnsense for free?

I tried it in a VM and didn't really like the configurations compared to Untangle. I'll throw it in a VM and give it another week and see if it changes my mind.

devmd01 posted:

Also don’t just use the entire 1u server as a router, install esxi and install whatever router software you want as a VM. That way you can use it for other VMs and services as well.

I have another Unraid server dedicated for storage and my other VMs. I wanted specifically a single device running the network so I could take down the server without disrupting the internet.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sometimes ServeTheHome does their 10gbe tests with Cat5e and gets good speeds. I guess their thinking is that in older buildings that’s probably what’s been pulled so good to test SMB equipment with it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Went and looked, it is cat5e, fortunately. Gonna order a patch panel and some keystones and I can go from there :)

As far as why 10gbe, it is one of those Why Not?, I already run it where I am living now, may as well carry it over :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Went and looked, it is cat5e, fortunately. Gonna order a patch panel and some keystones and I can go from there :)

As far as why 10gbe, it is one of those Why Not?, I already run it where I am living now, may as well carry it over :v:

:toot: Good luck. It's all the same-ish amount of work to try it with cat5e. If it doesn't work you're out the time it took you to punch down and validate.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You should always run Cat 6 in a modern home/whatever if you have the choice.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I want it so that requests to a specific domain name are routed to a machine on my local network. What sort of network operation is this, and is it worth flashing something like Tomato onto my R7000 for more router controls (and a working firmware I can SSH into and do whatever)?

Basically, I'm still working on my IoT thing. The devices talk to a server whose domain name is hardcoded. I want to see if I can just tell everything on my network that yes, everything on api.othersite.com is totally actually on 192.168.1.13.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need anything that supports being a DNS server

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thanks Ants posted:

You need anything that supports being a DNS server

So... an old thinkpad running some flavor of Linux should do the trick?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Protocol7 posted:

So... an old thinkpad running some flavor of Linux should do the trick?

Yup - could go even more low powered if you wanted, like a raspberry pi. You'll just need to adjust the DHCP settings on your router to point your devices to the DNS server.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Actuarial Fables posted:

Yup - could go even more low powered if you wanted, like a raspberry pi. You'll just need to adjust the DHCP settings on your router to point your devices to the DNS server.

Ok, that should be easy enough. Setting up Bind9 on my thinkpad now.

Hey, that was easy enough. Bind9 set up and nslookup requests to api.othersite.com are redirected to another machine on the network, but all other requests are simply just forwarded to Google's DNS servers (and cached, of course.)

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 31, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
drat, Ubiquiti is really going for the Airport aesthetic with this Dream Machine, the box is identical. There's literally no instructions inside which seems not great but the thing definitely works and there are a shitton of options in here. Hell yeah.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm considering helping a couple of friends out with a solution to their problem. Router/modem is on second story of house. They're literal basement dwellers.

They mainly want something for their Xboxes. I'm thinking of a powerline setup then a basic 4 port switch in the Dwelling

Is that gonna work for what I want ?

Could I pop a wireless repeater on that for them for their devices so their phones etc are good too? Something wifi6

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 1, 2020

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Statutory Ape posted:

I'm considering helping a couple of friends out with a solution to their problem. Router/modem is on second story of house. They're literal basement dwellers.

They mainly want something for their Xboxes. I'm thinking of a powerline setup then a basic 4 port switch in the Dwelling

Is that gonna work for what I want ?

Could I pop a wireless repeater on that for them for their devices so their phones etc are good too? Something wifi6

If they can't run a cable, then powerline is probably the 2nd best solution for this - just test it out first. Instead of doing a wireless repeater, I'd just go with a 2nd access point broadcasting the same SSID as the router so that they don't have to mess with WiFi settings each time they move around the house.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ok cool yeah that's good advice glad I asked, thank you very much. If they don't care about that functionality would the simple 4 port switch concept work "as intended" or whatever , just a cat cable to each Xbox manually at that point

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Yes - hooking up a switch to a powerline adapter would function the same as though you connected the switch to the router (technical differences aside), so the xboxes connected to the switch would all be able to reach out to the internet.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Awesome thanks a ton. I only really know a few people so they might as well be LPBs like me

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Ok cool yeah that's good advice glad I asked, thank you very much. If they don't care about that functionality would the simple 4 port switch concept work "as intended" or whatever , just a cat cable to each Xbox manually at that point

I'd recommend going with an 8-port switch for the basement, though. With a 4-port, you've got your uplink, two xboxes, and one last port that you're probably putting an AP on for wifi coverage. This doesn't leave them spare ports for any other devices that might want wired connectivity or any room for future growth.

Also, make sure it's a gigabit switch and not 'fast' (10/100) ethernet.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Trying to get better WiFi in two upstairs bedrooms so I can play 4K bluray remux films in them via Plex - I understand the bitrate on those files can spike to 160Mbit/s+ in heavy action scenes.

Running an RT-AC87U with Merlin custom firmware. It's in a downstairs room that's quite far away. I only get about 30-60Mbit/s in the bedrooms on 5G.

There's a cat5e cable that runs from the router to a different downstairs room that's closer to the upstairs bedrooms. I bought a Ubiquiti Unifi NanoHD to use there which arrived today. Disabled the RT-AC87U wifi, and using the NanoHD for wifi, I'm actually getting worse speeds (15-30Mbit/s in the bedrooms). Tried moving the NanoHD around a bit in that room but no luck. Did a scan and I manually set the 2.4 and 5G onto channels with minimal interfence (I think?) but still terrible speeds in the bedrooms. I reckon the NanoHD is working okay as I get 400-550Mbit/s on a laptop that's in the same room as the NanoHD.

Does anyone have any ideas? I feel a little out of my depth. Perhaps the ceiling and walls are too thick and I'm hoping for too much. It would be a real pain running cat6 from the downstairs to the upstairs so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

One potential solution if I have to spend more money: the room with the RT-AC87U is connected to one of the upstairs bedrooms with what I think is coaxial cable installed ~25 years ago. It was for a LAN back in the day. I think it's 10Base-Something if that helps? I've taken a picture of the cable and one of the end-connectors. Would using two of these work? Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/Actiontec-Electronics-ECB6200S02-Bonded-Moca/dp/B013J7OBUU . If that would create a hardline, I could perhaps move the NanoHD into the bedroom.

Any help is appreciated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The Ubiquiti defaults are aimed at business environments and not optimized for speed but stability. The HD series stands for "high density" and is intended for a lot of users getting a decent experience, not one user getting speed. You will have to adjust the settings accordingly yourself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lusername posted:

One potential solution if I have to spend more money: the room with the RT-AC87U is connected to one of the upstairs bedrooms with what I think is coaxial cable installed ~25 years ago. It was for a LAN back in the day. I think it's 10Base-Something if that helps? I've taken a picture of the cable and one of the end-connectors. Would using two of these work? Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/Actiontec-Electronics-ECB6200S02-Bonded-Moca/dp/B013J7OBUU . If that would create a hardline, I could perhaps move the NanoHD into the bedroom.

Any help is appreciated.

You'd want to check if that can use 50ohm RG58. It's probably designed for 75ohm RG59 / RG6.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Thanks for the info guys, and for the heads-up. I've emailed them about RG58 compatibility.

I've tried adjusting various NanoHD settings I've found from googling but the bedroom speeds are still terrible. Fair enough as I suppose I'm using it to solve a problem it wasn't designed for. I might try using another consumer router as an access point there (Asus or whatever is good these days) in case that fares better.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lusername posted:

Thanks for the info guys, and for the heads-up. I've emailed them about RG58 compatibility.

I've tried adjusting various NanoHD settings I've found from googling but the bedroom speeds are still terrible. Fair enough as I suppose I'm using it to solve a problem it wasn't designed for. I might try using another consumer router as an access point there (Asus or whatever is good these days) in case that fares better.

The nanohd should provide you with a ton of speed. If it's not you're not going to get better results with a consumer router. Mine blankets my house and yard. They have plenty of juice to handle your needs, the trick is getting the signal where it needs to go.

Your router is being used as a switch I assume? I would try buying a $40 netgear switch and see if that helps. Modem - > Wan, lan-> switch, switch to everything. 2 total cables into the router.

Do you have a wifi signal analyzer? Mac has a good one in the app store. Can tell you exactly what the signal is and if it's even the problem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

H110Hawk posted:

Do you have a wifi signal analyzer? Mac has a good one in the app store. Can tell you exactly what the signal is and if it's even the problem.

Whoa ho, I didn't know there was a company named Mac that does wi-fi signal analysis.

Since you say 'a good one,' I'm figuring it's this one:

https://apps.apple.com/app/wifi-signal/id525912054

Sorry to be so salty, but that description is so vague I thought it was a joke.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 4, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Whoa ho, I didn't know there was a company named Mac that does wi-fi signal analysis.

Since you say 'a good one,' I'm figuring it's this one:

https://apps.apple.com/app/wifi-signal/id525912054

Sorry to be so salty, but that description is so vague it's on the border of unreal.

Thanks buddy! That is indeed the one I wanted but my baby exploded as I got to the end of that post.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks buddy! That is indeed the one I wanted but my baby exploded as I got to the end of that post.

I know the feeling. I still feel like Nicolas Cage in "Raising Arizona" running down a road in the middle of the night clutching a sack of Huggies, even though my oldest graduated college.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How old is your house? Is it old enough to have the plaster clinging to the walls with the aid of metal wire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Lusername posted:

Trying to get better WiFi in two upstairs bedrooms so I can play 4K bluray remux films in them via Plex - I understand the bitrate on those files can spike to 160Mbit/s+ in heavy action scenes.

Running an RT-AC87U with Merlin custom firmware. It's in a downstairs room that's quite far away. I only get about 30-60Mbit/s in the bedrooms on 5G.

There's a cat5e cable that runs from the router to a different downstairs room that's closer to the upstairs bedrooms. I bought a Ubiquiti Unifi NanoHD to use there which arrived today. Disabled the RT-AC87U wifi, and using the NanoHD for wifi, I'm actually getting worse speeds (15-30Mbit/s in the bedrooms). Tried moving the NanoHD around a bit in that room but no luck. Did a scan and I manually set the 2.4 and 5G onto channels with minimal interfence (I think?) but still terrible speeds in the bedrooms. I reckon the NanoHD is working okay as I get 400-550Mbit/s on a laptop that's in the same room as the NanoHD.

Does anyone have any ideas? I feel a little out of my depth. Perhaps the ceiling and walls are too thick and I'm hoping for too much. It would be a real pain running cat6 from the downstairs to the upstairs so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Another thing to add, in what orientation is the NanoHD in comparison to the PS4?