Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

daslog posted:

That looks like a challenging mudding job. Is there some miracle tool to make it easier?

Not miracle, but there are all manner of corner tools. In a situation like this you end up buying a bunch of duplicates that are close and bending them for larger corners at odd angles. It's gonna loving suck no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd be seriously tempted to just hire someone. Like for a lot of this build Kastein has gone way above code and probably wouldn't have gotten that quality from a sub, but mudding is just mudding and a pro is gonna do it way faster and get the same or better result.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kastein posted:

The wall with the high efficiency laundry hookup is done.

Say it ain't so

I thought we were cool and I had admired your project up until now

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arguably, safety ground up is safer.
Fucks with a lot of right-angle cords, though.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Arguably, safety ground up is safer.
Fucks with a lot of right-angle cords, though.

reasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucG0HeK9ekw

although I suppose if kids really want to be dumb the can push it up from the bottom, but the reasoning is sound on why you put the ground up, and not down...

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, ground-up is code in a lot of places, people just prefer ground-down so it gets overlooked a lot. It's definitely safer.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Plastik posted:

I mean, ground-up is code in a lot of places, people just prefer ground-down so it gets overlooked a lot. It's definitely safer.

yeah most offices it is most definitely code due to the random paper clip falling and shorting poo poo it out.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

schmug posted:

reasons:

although I suppose if kids really want to be dumb the can push it up from the bottom, but the reasoning is sound on why you put the ground up, and not down...

Wouldn't make a difference with that challenge since almost all phone chargers are just two prong, but it does provide protection for other appliances being partially plugged in.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

That looks like a challenging mudding job. Is there some miracle tool to make it easier?

Yeah, a phone.

Leperflesh posted:

I'd be seriously tempted to just hire someone. Like for a lot of this build Kastein has gone way above code and probably wouldn't have gotten that quality from a sub, but mudding is just mudding and a pro is gonna do it way faster and get the same or better result.

:yeah:

I actually enjoy hanging drywall, but gently caress all that mudding. Hire a guy/team with a bazooka and stand back.

eta: Kastein your drywall looks great. You do good work there.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 30, 2020

schmug
May 20, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Wouldn't make a difference with that challenge since almost all phone chargers are just two prong, but it does provide protection for other appliances being partially plugged in.

haha I didn't even think of that. Oh well nevertheless thought it was a funny example that had been cycling on the news

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
gently caress drywall mudding forever. gently caress drywall in general, it's heavy, awkward, fragile, and can easily produce a lot of dust. But yeah, the route I'd take in this situation would be to hang the drywall but hire out the mudding. I don't have nearly Kastein's tolerance for doing literally everything myself.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think he said earlier that his wife was interested in doing it. Doing drywall patches is all I'd ever want to gently caress with but this is a power couple so who knows.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
You mentioned previously that the SO was handling the mudding, how is she holding up:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So far so good, and once all the other heavy lifting (sheetrock, floors, heating system, siding, porch decking boards) is done I'll be joining in on that front. She's got one room and one and a half closets basically done and nearly ready for paint at this point. I bought an airless sprayer for the painting so it shouldn't take long at all.

As for the outlet being upside down - it's a philosophical thing. I have never been able to find anything in NFPA 70 to require it being either way. Healthcare facilities require it to be ground-up. Most of the circuits in this house are AFCI and many are AFCI+GFCI so theoretically it doesn't matter as any arc or current to ground will trip the breaker, but my preference is ground goes up on vertical outlets and neutral goes up on horizontal for the reasons already listed. I'm not going to debate it though, it's one of those things that goes with sports and religion. It seems like it's split 3 ways opinion wise, at least as of 9 years ago. https://www.mikeholt.com/technical-grounding-Receptacles-Ground-Up-or-Ground-Down-(9-23-99).php

Also the last of the upstairs drywall is done aside from the 2-3 panels I can't reasonably do until the stairs are removed and rebuilt, because I'll gently caress the new drywall up taking the stairs down. I guess I'll start the furring strips for the first floor ceilings tomorrow, since the ceilings and some walls down there are all that's left before I'm done with drywall.

The upstairs feels... Almost like a home instead of a barn. It's loving weird. I'm not used to living in a house anymore, this has been a long project. Between that and the heatpump working really nicely with the place insulated as I mentioned before (I haven't worn more than a t-shirt and jeans inside since then, despite it getting into the single digits outside and there still being a huge hole into the basement stairwell cooling the first floor considerably) I'm kinda liking this whole "almost civilized living" concept.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
...until you put flooring in and remember how much it sucks actually having to vacuum/mop weekly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Vacuum? Mop? What the gently caress man, don't remind me of this. I'm used to cleaning with a grain scoop and maybe a shopvac right now :v:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If you get a vacuum robot to supplement (not replace) real, actual vacuuming you'll only have to vacuum like once a month for real to keep the floors clean.

They used to be stupid rich people toys, but we got a knockoff one for a friend for Christmas for under $40 and it handles her 2 roommates and 2 dogs admirably in the common areas. We also have an obligatory rich friend who has a fancy Roomba brand one and honestly it doesn't do that much better a job for 6x the price.

But still vacuum. I cannot underscore that enough. Tiny robot vacuum is not enough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Plastik posted:

If you get a vacuum robot to supplement (not replace) real, actual vacuuming

I haven't vacuumed my first floor by hand in almost a year since I got a robot vac. Combination of hardwood and rugs. This advice does not compute. The place is spotless. The worst thing that happens is some spots with chairs and stuff really need you to move the chair out/away while you send it to that room on occasion.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

I haven't vacuumed my first floor by hand in almost a year since I got a robot vac. Combination of hardwood and rugs. This advice does not compute. The place is spotless. The worst thing that happens is some spots with chairs and stuff really need you to move the chair out/away while you send it to that room on occasion.

Man I may have to do this. I have a house built in 1960, all hardwood, and the amount of dust and stuff I could sweep up a day or two after sweeping is insane. Now I have 2 kids and I am in and out all the time running out to do something on cars but we wipe our feet and take shoes off most of the time. I may need to invest in a robot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Man I may have to do this. I have a house built in 1960, all hardwood, and the amount of dust and stuff I could sweep up a day or two after sweeping is insane. Now I have 2 kids and I am in and out all the time running out to do something on cars but we wipe our feet and take shoes off most of the time. I may need to invest in a robot.

It's freaking great. It hits the kitchen every night at 2 AM on a schedule and I'll run it through the whole floor once a week. If something gets messy in a room I'll just have it run that room.

Once it's all set up and the floors are mapped all you really need to do is remember to empty it and clean the brushes on occasion.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

schmug posted:

reasons:

God drat people are stupid.

Motronic posted:

It's freaking great. It hits the kitchen every night at 2 AM on a schedule and I'll run it through the whole floor once a week. If something gets messy in a room I'll just have it run that room.

Once it's all set up and the floors are mapped all you really need to do is remember to empty it and clean the brushes on occasion.

The key is to get one that actually does mapping, not the bump-n-go random cheapos. The really fancy ones have LIDAR and can map stuff as small as chair legs. Then you use a phone or PC app to schedule, set fencing, etc. I'm looking at a Roborock S5 or similar. I think someone on SA put me onto those.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

The key is to get one that actually does mapping, not the bump-n-go random cheapos. The really fancy ones have LIDAR and can map stuff as small as chair legs. Then you use a phone or PC app to schedule, set fencing, etc. I'm looking at a Roborock S5 or similar. I think someone on SA put me onto those.

Lidar is key if you want to run it at night. Or really have anything useful at all. The bump and stumble ones are like having a drunk toddler running around your house.

I have a Neato D9 and it was worth every penny.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

How hosed do they get with cat puke?

That being said, having a 23 year old cat this may not be a long term issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheMightyHandful posted:

How hosed do they get with cat puke?

That being said, having a 23 year old cat this may not be a long term issue.

My guess is that they would simply smear it around the entire house.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

My guess is that they would simply smear it around the entire house.

This is accurate for puke, poop, and any other soft substance left on the floor. Nothing like coming home from work to a lengthy poo poo smear all over your apartment.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

If you grab a decent vacuum (not a Dyson) and run it over those same floors you'll see what I'm talking about. It's a question of both suction and agitating brushes which rely on weight that most robots just don't have. In the last 2 years there have definitely been models that can compete against a real vacuum (but they still don't have hoses so you'd still need a handheld) but they cost a pretty penny and some are marketed as commercial/industrial.

Don't get me wrong, robot vacuums have their place, but the lower power models are only really adequate on flat, nonporous surfaces like laminate or marble.

And for the record, my mom owns a housekeeping company and demonstrates this all the time for clients. I've only ever heard her talk about one client with a robot so good she never vacuums the floor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Plastik posted:

If you grab a decent vacuum (not a Dyson) and run it over those same floors you'll see what I'm talking about. It's a question of both suction and agitating brushes which rely on weight that most robots just don't have. In the last 2 years there have definitely been models that can compete against a real vacuum (but they still don't have hoses so you'd still need a handheld) but they cost a pretty penny and some are marketed as commercial/industrial.

Don't get me wrong, robot vacuums have their place, but the lower power models are only really adequate on flat, nonporous surfaces like laminate or marble.

And for the record, my mom owns a housekeeping company and demonstrates this all the time for clients. I've only ever heard her talk about one client with a robot so good she never vacuums the floor.

I've run our Miele vac over the rugs and I don't pick up anything of consequence. But to your point, I'm not running a low powered room stumbler robot.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Plastik posted:

If you have parquet floors and three cats, a robot vacuum cleaner is perfect for doing 3x week hair pickup.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Plastik posted:

Out of curiosity, why not a Dyson?

Hell, since we're talking about vacuums, can anyone recommend an affordable one that's good for dealing with animal hair?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

10 Beers posted:

Hell, since we're talking about vacuums, can anyone recommend an affordable one that's good for dealing with animal hair?

Dysons are a fragile gimmick, which cost 2-3x what a decent vacuum costs.

Also, bagged vacuums are not actually worse than bagless ones, and you can buy a lifetime supply of bags for a tiny amount.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wooger posted:

Dysons are a fragile gimmick, which cost 2-3x what a decent vacuum costs.

Also, bagged vacuums are not actually worse than bagless ones, and you can buy a lifetime supply of bags for a tiny amount.
I once stumbled into a forum for vacuum enthusiasts, and all the fascinating insanity of that group of people aside, I learned 2 things. True vacuum afficianados loving *hate* Dyson, and bagged vacuums are much, much better than bagless. True to that, I ended up buying a cheap bagged vacuum, and it's leagues better than any bagless I've ever used, including my parents' dyson.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 2, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If we're vacuum posturing gently caress all this lugging a motor around crap. Central vac is the only true way to clean your house. Even if the filter isn't HEPA the exhaust is outside where it doesn't matter. We had one at my childhood house which my dad solo installed, we had a goddamned menagerie of long haired cats, various dog(s), and some birds.

It was the thing that finally cut the dust in that house. The first month of running that thing was horrifying. We emptied it after every run for the first couple of days, then every few runs, and finally a more normal schedule.

He got insurance to pay for part of it and didn't pay sales tax on the rest with a letter of medical necessity for my asthma and allergies. (You know, to all those animals.)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My parents have central vac, and it is seriously legit. Nice just to have a hose and carpet head to worry about.

It makes vacuuming so easy that my dad leaves the hose around to be ready to suck at any moment and it drives my mom insane.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arrath posted:

My parents have central vac, and it is seriously legit. Nice just to have a hose and carpet head to worry about.

It makes vacuuming so easy that my dad leaves the hose around to be ready to suck at any moment and it drives my mom insane.

Well yeah she doesn't want the competition.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

H110Hawk posted:

If we're vacuum posturing gently caress all this lugging a motor around crap. Central vac is the only true way to clean your house. Even if the filter isn't HEPA the exhaust is outside where it doesn't matter. We had one at my childhood house which my dad solo installed, we had a goddamned menagerie of long haired cats, various dog(s), and some birds.

It was the thing that finally cut the dust in that house. The first month of running that thing was horrifying. We emptied it after every run for the first couple of days, then every few runs, and finally a more normal schedule.

He got insurance to pay for part of it and didn't pay sales tax on the rest with a letter of medical necessity for my asthma and allergies. (You know, to all those animals.)

If you can install the piping, then this is the only answer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Blistex posted:

If you can install the piping, then this is the only answer.

If you build a house from the ground up without one your priorities are in the wrong place. Even if you just run the pvc+wire everywhere and buy the unit later.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

H110Hawk posted:

If you build a house from the ground up without one your priorities are in the wrong place. Even if you just run the pvc+wire everywhere and buy the unit later.

I'm curious: do you have vacuum ports in each room for central vac, or do you have a single area vacuum port, or is it just a design issue?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm curious: do you have vacuum ports in each room for central vac, or do you have a single area vacuum port, or is it just a design issue?

You have enough to cover the house. Our old house had I want to say 3 or 4 ports. The hose for the vacuum is very long. So the last option.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

10 Beers posted:

To expand on the point that Dyson vacuums are a gimmick:

When it comes to vacuums, suction is king. Dysons are designed to look (not act) like a turbine jet engine. As a result of this form over function mentality, they just don't suck the way a non ~*aesthetic*~ vacuum does, meaning they don't clean well.

Second, Dysons are expensive to maintain, which means they're generally not maintained. There are foam crush gaskets that need to be replaced regularly, their hoses and accessories are hella expensive and prone to failure (because they too are form over function), and this means that parts fail and people either overlook them or straight up don't know they've failed.

And third, Dysons have a 2-stage filtration system, which is a mesh screen and a HEPA filter. A mesh screen will not catch microparticulate, so you've turned your ($20-70) HEPA filter into a 6-month-cycle consumable to more like a 2-month-cycle consumable. Fail to adhere to that schedule and your already meager suction becomes all but nonexistent. A 2-stage filtration bag vacuum has a gigantic filter (the bag) in front of the HEPA filter, with a built-in replacement reminder (bag full = filter dead = vacuum no work) to ensure regular replacement. Add to that the fact that regular bag vacuum HEPA filters are cheaper ($10-20 depending on size) and bags are cheaper still and your outlay for filters on a bagged vacuum is 1/10th that of a Dyson annually for better results.

Oh, and washable HEPA filters are a lie. They work by entangling microparticles in a dense mesh inside the corrugated filter, and washing won't get them out. There are non-HEPA washables that I'd believe work, but then you're turning your vacuum into a microparticulate cannon and letting your air conditioner filter sort it out.

For the record, I'm not a vacuum tech or anything. This just comes from a lifetime of owning and maintaining vacuums for home and business and also a particularly useful Reddit AMA from a couple years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So. A few weeks ago now, I managed to get the flashing done on the porch roof:
Long side done.

What's left to do...

I don't like doing outside corners. My original plan was to use lead or copper and solder it but it was gonna be CRAZY expensive. I talked to the building inspector about it and he said yeah whatever use aluminum like everyone else you fool and just use silicone or rubberized tar to seal the joint.

This side of the house was like 14 inches too long to have two pieces overlap perfectly. Oh well. I bet I'm the only person who ever notices.

Butter the crap out of both ends...

... And stick a piece across the gap.

All done!

Also got the 3 posts in between the main support columns on the long side of the porch. They're just to hold the railing up but I did them the same way as the main posts so it's symmetrical.

Then I got a horrific cold/flu/death thing that put me in bed with nasal oobleck for a week and a half so jack poo poo got done. I got better though so I'm back at it, today I did most of the porch decking at the corner since it was the only place I'll be using 16ft boards (I decided to run the deck boards at 45 degrees for appearance, it hides the fact that the joists go different directions on each wing of the porch nicely.) Tomorrow I'm getting the 8ft boards for the rest of the decking delivered and should be able to make good time on them since it's almost all easy cuts - knock one end off at 45 degrees, screw it down, repeat. Only complex issue is cutting the notches for the support posts on a few boards.