Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MononcQc posted:

im a fan of the guy seemingly roasting his own coffee at home, but it was all a cost-saving measure undone by pills

roast the pills. problem solved

MononcQc posted:

asdff 19 minutes ago [-]

Any basic budget advice says to cut starbucks out of your life and make your $5 latte at home, but why stop there?

Caffeine pills work out to $0.05/cup-equivalent, aren't going to make you take bathroom trips, aren't going to give you bad breath, and aren't going to stain your teeth. I usually keep a few in my pocket in case I get randomly drowsy in a meeting or if I'm driving far. I haven't looked back, and I used to pull my own espresso and roast my beans.

oh poo poo I was literally contemplating about switching to caffeine pills yesterday because I can't get the energy to make a cup of coffee (caused by caffeine withdrawal, I'm so bad at addictions lol)

does that make me into a hacker news

is it terminal

help

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

this term is deprecated, find a new one

poo poo I wasn’t thinking. sorry everyone

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Captain Foo posted:

this term is deprecated, find a new one

six figgy fucklords

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

des_t 1 hour ago [-]

I certainly don't support fascism but at least Hitler had some interest in science. Things are worse in India. We spent 0.8% of the GDP on Science and Technology. At the same time, a part of that (taxpayer money) is spent on Homeopathy, Ayurveda, and Cow Urine/Dung Research.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
on the other hand, they've also built a functional be it niche space program

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Oneiros posted:

I certainly don't support fascism but
lol there it is, the ultimate hn post opener

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

FMguru posted:

lol there it is, the ultimate hn post opener

i'm not sure if i'm more impressed by the opener or the "but at least hitler..." bit to be honest

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Oneiros posted:

des_t 1 hour ago [-]

I certainly don't support fascism but at least Hitler had some interest in science.

puzzling over what context could have possibly prompted this insane intro to what is an otherwise benign and maybe even not bad post

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Oneiros posted:

des_t 1 hour ago [-]

I certainly don't support fascism but at least Hitler had some interest in science.

in that he didn't want any of the jewish kind yeah

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lord fifth posted:

puzzling over what context could have possibly prompted this insane intro to what is an otherwise benign and maybe even not bad post

its someone who spends a lot of time thinking about hitler's good points

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i find it difficult to hate some who was responsible for millions of deaths because he also liked science and dogs

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

neltnerb 21 hours ago [-]

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”

Kinrany 20 hours ago [-]

I don't find this proverb convincing.

The best time may be only marginally better than the actual second best time. It's main value is that it's a personal Schelling point (see also [1]) for doing the thing.

"Now" is not a good Schelling point because it's the same as "in a minute" or "in an hour".

[1]: https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/Kbm6QnJv9dgWsPHQP/schelling-fences-on-slippery-slopes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol citing lesswrong

"hi im the worst kind of incorrect pedant"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
p deece six figgy fucklords

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
they're not decent at all!!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
being a six figgie fucklord owns and i suggest everyone try it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i understand that we need to retire 'fucktard' for being slur'ish, but let's be honest: being a 'fucklord' sounds pretty awesome. i petition we go for the slightly boring 'fuckwit' until the right neologism is found.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I trialed FUCKBARN fwiw

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i understand that we need to retire 'fucktard' for being slur'ish, but let's be honest: being a 'fucklord' sounds pretty awesome. i petition we go for the slightly boring 'fuckwit' until the right neologism is found.

six figgie fuckface

mystes
May 31, 2006

TGFer

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it’s fucklord because you act like a member of the upper class but you’re actually a gently caress. hth

mystes
May 31, 2006

Alternatively just change it to "fuckturd".

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
fucklord is also suggestive of landlord and those are the real fucks, not the six figgy wage earners

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DaTroof posted:

six figgie fuckface

this is good

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
HN's moderation team, everyone:

Everything in this thread, and past HN threads, is fine. But a typo in a random comment halfway down the page of a story halfway down the page (which, BTW, has nothing to do with technology)? That's what's really deserving of their time and attention.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
most of the stuff in this thread is not deserving of moderation. it’s embarrassing to the author, or should be, but it’s not offensive or combative or detrimental to the community except in a “gosh this community sure has a lot of idiots in it” sort of way

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Oneiros posted:

des_t 1 hour ago [-]

I certainly don't support fascism but at least Hitler had some interest in science. Things are worse in India. We spent 0.8% of the GDP on Science and Technology. At the same time, a part of that (taxpayer money) is spent on Homeopathy, Ayurveda, and Cow Urine/Dung Research.

hitler, famously opposed to pseudoscience and mysticism

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Mr.Radar posted:

HN's moderation team, everyone:

Everything in this thread, and past HN threads, is fine. But a typo in a random comment halfway down the page of a story halfway down the page (which, BTW, has nothing to do with technology)? That's what's really deserving of their time and attention.

dang is Good People™, yo :(

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

rjmccall posted:

most of the stuff in this thread is not deserving of moderation. it’s embarrassing to the author, or should be, but it’s not offensive or combative or detrimental to the community except in a “gosh this community sure has a lot of idiots in it” sort of way

I mean, that's detrimental to the community as anyone with sense decides "ew" and then avoids it

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Switzerland posted:

dang is Good People™, yo :(

my only direct experience with them was when they warned me not to use the word "racist" when calling out blatant racism posted by another user so I'm gonna disagree there. I understand they're entirely :decorum:-poisoned but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

crazypenguin posted:

I mean, that's detrimental to the community as anyone with sense decides "ew" and then avoids it

yeah maybe but if you ban people for being wrong you won't have a community either

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rjmccall posted:

yeah maybe but if you ban people for being wrong you won't have a community either

sure you will. we're part of one right now

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

What about mixing it with damp sock or rag or dishcloth.

"fuckcloth" "fuckrag" "fucksock"

"he's a damp fuckrag" "a damp fucksock" "a damp fuckcloth"

works pretty well imho

Also lol at getting myself downvoted because I asked for evidence that a highly paid tech employee on hacker news is "the average" and not just an outlier.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

DaTroof posted:

sure you will. we're part of one right now

I don't know the context but

we live in a community

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

alexandriao posted:

Also lol at getting myself downvoted because I asked for evidence that a highly paid tech employee on hacker news is "the average" and not just an outlier.

don't touch the poop

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

What about mixing it with damp sock or rag or dishcloth.

"fuckcloth" "fuckrag" "fucksock"

"he's a damp fuckrag" "a damp fucksock" "a damp fuckcloth"

works pretty well imho

how about fuckstain

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fuckstain became my go-to descriptor after the aforementioned became potentially, you know, not great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
fuckputer

yosposter

fuckdditor