Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
fuckopop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It's not a deprecated insult, it's an opportunity for innovation.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doom Mathematic posted:

It's not a deprecated insult, it's an opportunity for innovation.

it's both op

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

alexandriao posted:

I don't know the context but

we live in a community

i was referring to yospos itself, but the same poo poo applies to p much anything with more than 3 people in it

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

coronavirus epidemic? don't worry, hackernews is on the case

brigandish 9 hours ago [-]

We all seem to be talking about guesstimates and data we can't be sure of, but I see little talk of what we can do.

If this were a tech problem - a big problem that seemed insurmountable - I would break it down into chunks as best I could, look at all the parts of the chain, and ask myself which I could be most effective in tackling first. Treat it like a sprint. Which part of the chain would that be?

With the caveat I'm not a domain expert, obviously, I'd go for the lack of testing kits - what makes testing for something like this so hard and so hard at scale?

Maybe it isn't and it's the supply of kits. Is this not something that is also "fixable"? There's a lot of intelligent and capable people on this forum, why not throw some pasta at the wall?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Qwertycoatl posted:

We all seem to be talking about guesstimates and data we can't be sure of, but I see little talk of what we can do.

If this were a tech problem - a big problem that seemed insurmountable - I would break it down into chunks as best I could, look at all the parts of the chain, and ask myself which I could be most effective in tackling first. Treat it like a sprint. Which part of the chain would that be?

With the caveat I'm not a domain expert, obviously, I'd go for the lack of testing kits - what makes testing for something like this so hard and so hard at scale?

Maybe it isn't and it's the supply of kits. Is this not something that is also "fixable"? There's a lot of intelligent and capable people on this forum, why not throw some pasta at the wall?

Hundreds of years of medical research and science and a random hackernews thinks they can suddenly fix the problem because they're a computer scientist!

sounds about right

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
we just need to “big data” this so we can use machine learning

someone put a sprint plan on the wiki

mystes
May 31, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Hundreds of years of medical research and science and a random hackernews thinks they can suddenly fix the problem because they're a computer scientist!
Specifically, they think they can fix the problem because apparently only computer scientists know that you can try to break down hard problems into smaller chunks.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Specifically, they think they can fix the problem because apparently only computer scientists know that you can try to break down hard problems into smaller chunks.

the guy in my interview seemed really impressed when i mentioned it as my strong point!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Qwertycoatl posted:

see if it were me i would simply fix the problems. not seeing what’s so difficult here but feel free to correct me where i’m wrong

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hn thread:

Qwertycoatl posted:

If this were a tech problem

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a yibba dibba dibba dibba yibba dibba dum

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

a yibba dibba dibba dibba yibba dibba dum

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whoa whoa whoa

hacker news is not computer scientists. computer scientists have phds and create new knowledge. hackernews has nodejs and creates nothing of value

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

ta12126 1 hour ago | parent | favorite | on: Leila Janah, CEO and entrepreneur who wanted to en...
I did a round of "You're going to die" with esophageal cancer in 2017.
The conversations I had with my peers that were waiting in line for radiation and/or chemo were refreshingly real and focused.
I wonder what unique new perspective this guy gained

quote:

I liked the opportunity to talk with women in a deep way with no fear of jealousy, misread intentions, awkward intros, etc. They would open up immediately based on our shared experience. Felt like it was a unique opportunity to peer into something I'd never have found otherwise. I can now truly vouch for the idea that women have it generally harder vs men in Western culture.
lol

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tomc1985 19 hours ago | parent | favorite [flagged] | on: Anti-cheat kernel driver

These horrible analogies make me want to stab the writer with a pen
How about he just writes technically and lets reddit comments translate? I'm so sick of writers' concerns for illiterate proles (along with, in this case, a seeming need to maintain the energy and punch of a memetastic for-12-year-olds YouTuber) ruining perfectly good technical writing

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tomc1985 3 days ago | parent [-] | on: The EARN IT Act: how to ban end-to-end encryption ...

Sexual abuse is terrible but I am so tired of it being used as the handle of the billyclub used to beat technology down

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:qq: think of the apps

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fritz posted:

tomc1985 3 days ago | parent [-] | on: The EARN IT Act: how to ban end-to-end encryption ...

Sexual abuse is terrible but

how do you start a sentence like this and not realize you're making a huge mistake lmbo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Hawkins posted:

:qq: think of the apps

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
how could they violate the terms and conditions of use without the developer's consent? :reddit:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

how could they violate the terms and conditions of use without the developer's consent? :reddit:

apps don't have an age of consent

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
If atheist community was to defend itself from purity spiral it would have to look something like that:

When news of sexual misconduct started popping up they should issue just one statement. "This society is about atheism. We are not in the business of promoting moral behavior. We will do everything that is required by law but nothing more. You can get molested in any large gathering of people. Atheists are not significantly more moral than average people. We can't and we won't attempt to provide you with complete safety or any illusion of it."

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

arnautdaniel 1 hour ago | parent [-] | on: A Link to the Shadow Inc. App That Blew Up the Iow...

The amount of code, libraries, and resources needed to make this glorified calculator on a "smartphone" is truly overwhelming.
Could literally do the same thing extremely well with an ncurses program and a drat ssh link back to home.
Could literally have done the same thing with Google docs.
But no it's gotta be an app so Susan can use her smartphone. This is an official event, not an ad hoc conversation during soccer practice. Yet, apparently no one could setup a small desktop or a laptop to handle a singularly simple task and do it well.
Instead, social onus and seemingly common wisdom says everything must be a fancy looking app, and proceeds to throw 60k down the drain to accomplish nothing.
I'm impressed.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

hate it when susan does that

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
coutt 1 day ago [-]

This is a common way of thinking about it, but nobody really knows. It's purely a conjecture. There is no data to back it up, and it just appeals to common sense.
Should everybody drop C/C++/whatever and rush into the Rust train because Rust people has conjecture?
I ask the opposite question. What would happen if the only programming language left is C? Wouldn't we become better programmers and raise the bar so high that the bug count drops to 0?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

isn’t that basically today? it’s not like anyone programs in BLISS or PL/I or Pascal any more, the other C-equivalent systems languages have gone to eternal rest, it’s basically the only language in its niche now

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

eschaton posted:

isn’t that basically today? it’s not like anyone programs in BLISS or PL/I or Pascal any more, the other C-equivalent systems languages have gone to eternal rest, it’s basically the only language in its niche now

you forgot about javascript

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Captain Foo posted:

apps don't have an age of consent

any time an app or interface appears to reach maturity, it is immediately thrown out for something new

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

coutt 1 day ago [-]

This is a common way of thinking about it, but nobody really knows. It's purely a conjecture. There is no data to back it up, and it just appeals to common sense.
Should everybody drop C/C++/whatever and rush into the Rust train because Rust people has conjecture?
I ask the opposite question. What would happen if the only programming language left is C? Wouldn't we become better programmers and raise the bar so high that the bug count drops to 0?

a strong early contender for post of the year

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if we didn't have medicine? I bet people would be really careful about being injured then and the injury rate would go down to zero. Unfortunately we'll never be able to find out.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 7, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

quote:

RcouF1uZ4gsC 2 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Long Term Support

> I don’t care about thin or light at all. I’m happy to carry a few extra pounds; these are my tools, and if that’s the price of durable, maintainable and resilient tools means a bit of extra weight in the bag I’ll pay it and smile. I just want to be able to fix it; I want something I can strip all the way down to standard parts with a standard screwdriver and replace piecemeal when it needs piecemeal replacing. Does anyone make anything like this anymore, a tradesman’s machine? The MNTRE people are giving it a shot. Is anyone else, anywhere?

If durable, maintainable, and resilient are your number one priority, maybe you want a desktop. It is trivial to open up the case and replace or upgrade components. Desktops also tend to last longer than laptops. It is harder to transport, but I am sure just like the various mechanics, you can come up with a rolling toolbox for your desktop that you can load into the back of your pickup truck. As a bonus, you can also get higher performance CPU's since you can deal with the heat better in a desktop case. I am sure that such a risk could easily last you 10 years, and it does seem like the perfect choice given your priorities.

Imagine being such a chud that when someone says "I want a slightly less thin laptop that allows for upgrades" you instead recommend a completely non-portable desktop tower instead.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

alexandriao posted:

Imagine being such a chud that when someone says "I want a slightly less thin laptop that allows for upgrades" you instead recommend a completely non-portable desktop tower instead.

and a pickup truck to carry it in

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my power supply rolls coal

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I just went down an Annatar hole.

Man. Annatar doesn't have brainworms, brainworms have Annatar.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

AFashionableHat posted:

One of us! One of us!

Annatar 11 days ago | parent [-] | on: Sovereign: Ansible playbooks to build and maintain...

Quit this drat nonsense with Ansible or whatever garbage fashion fad is in vogue these days and finally learn how to make OS packages so you can do configuration management with normal shell scripting inside of them, because that's what it's for. The amount of incompetence and insanity from incompetence has gone too far. drat it, this is exactly why IT sucks so bad!!!

awww yisss, that's the stuff

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

a strong early contender for post of the year

has the same energy as dr strangelove announcing the not only would the survivors not envy the dead, but in fact they might feel a spirit of bold adventure!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AFashionableHat posted:

is that a James Cameron "Frozen" spin-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ah yes, we have a deploy process that i understand involves putting together our software as rpm packages

we also have code camouflaged as config to get around the fact that we need to be able to deploy updates quickly for different service configurations :)

i am holding my breath at the moment but i get the feeling that some incredibly good life decisions have been made in the past