Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
Is it possible that some aspirin used to include some codeine like they sell in Canada and presumably other places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Is it possible that some aspirin used to include some codeine like they sell in Canada and presumably other places?

Do they do that with aspirin? It’s usually paired with acetaminophen.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Or caffeine :v:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

empty baggie posted:

Do they do that with aspirin? It’s usually paired with acetaminophen.

:canada: you can get both codeine + tylenol or +aspirin and the OTC version is always mixed with caffeine. And it rules.
But I don't think this has to do with misunderstandings of these being sedatives on their own.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

That paper also specifically says:

"The impression that the simple analgesics have a sedative action is widely held, although we know of only one report (Eade & Lasagna, 1967) in the literature demonstrating this action in man."

Something I've had to explain even to adults in their 20s now is the concept of "Saturday morning cartoons"....just the idea that there was a programming block on all the networks on Saturday morning that showed children's cartoons, because that's not really a thing anymore.

Anything TV is going to be difficult to explain. When I tell my youngest I'm watching the Superbowl for the commercials she just gives me a weird look and walks away. But these used to be a big deal and you couldn't watch previews of them on YouTube for weeks in advance that completely ruined any surprise. "TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING!" were important cultural touchstones and if you didn't watch you wouldn't know what everyone was talking about because they literally only showed these multi-million dollar advertisements once. If you happened to have a Tivo in 2004 you were like a Golden God of your Superbowl party because you could repeatedly rewind the Halftime show so all your friends could squint at your standard definition TV to see if you saw a famous person's nipple.

I feel stupider just writing that out, but that's the way things were.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
While watching some old movie I came across another reference that many people may not get, "government cheese", usually in reference to people on welfare. Nowadays one would probably just assume that cheese is slang for money, but in fact Government Cheese was an actual thing.

https://www.history.com/news/government-cheese-dairy-farmers-reagan

The US government created a cheese buying program to prop up the dairy industry and ended up with a glut of cheddar cheese that they would give away to welfare recipients. So yes, people did receive literal blocks of cheese for food support. Especially during the 80s, it would constantly be referenced in media but the term seems to have disappeared in modern days.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Original_Z posted:

While watching some old movie I came across another reference that many people may not get, "government cheese", usually in reference to people on welfare. Nowadays one would probably just assume that cheese is slang for money, but in fact Government Cheese was an actual thing.

https://www.history.com/news/government-cheese-dairy-farmers-reagan

The US government created a cheese buying program to prop up the dairy industry and ended up with a glut of cheddar cheese that they would give away to welfare recipients. So yes, people did receive literal blocks of cheese for food support. Especially during the 80s, it would constantly be referenced in media but the term seems to have disappeared in modern days.

I remember this, there was also beef, and peanut butter for a while.

Yay!
Dec 21, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

if you use that poo poo on a tire you will never be able to re-inflate that tire again becuase it will clog the valve, and also it will stick to the inside of the wheel so when you next change your tire whoever does that for you will curse your name. Basically that poo poo is for dire emergencies only.

Yeah factory-supplied lug tool will only have one socket, sized for that car's lug nuts. But lots of folks have the universal tool depicted, which has four sizes on it, and is sold all over the place. If you buy a "tire iron" at a parts store or on Amazon, like as not that's what you'll get - a big plus-sign with four sizes on it that would kind of suck to try to beat someone with. You'll also see lots of tire spoons

To properly plug a tire (not just a temporary repair to get you home) you are supposed to pull the carcass off the wheel and inspect the interior. Also repairing the sidewall is supposedly much more risky. I could see a tow truck driver refusing to do something that could create a liability if the repair failed, since that could cause an accident.
https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

You get tire plug kits now that work fine - they compress the (shaped) plug, which is like a cone with the tip cut off, and the wider bit inside, and coated with tire adhesive - I have a tyre with 3 plugs in it and it's been fine on my track car for 2 years! Sidewall repairs are a total no-no though, and so are patches...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Government cheese is still a thing. Because one you start a government program it’s very tough to get rid of it.

And to be clear, the program is probably more for farmers than poor people.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
USDA commodity programs are kind of a payout to farmers, but the principal underlying goal is regulatory market stabilization. The many promotional systems within USDA that keep a constant flow of US ag commodities going one place or another are a big part of why there's a stable global food supply, compared to how it used to be.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I know a decent amount about economics, but I can’t even pretend to understand farm economics.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, I know a decent amount about economics, but I can’t even pretend to understand farm economics.

well basically, the production of food, that thing we all know and love, is controlled by a handful of evil fuckers who shake down the government for, basically, as much money as they want, and they can therefore treat "like 90% of all foods" as loss leaders in order to utterly crush any possible competition from farmers outside their cartel.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

well basically, the production of food, that thing we all know and love, is controlled by a handful of evil fuckers who shake down the government for, basically, as much money as they want, and they can therefore treat "like 90% of all foods" as loss leaders in order to utterly crush any possible competition from farmers outside their cartel.

That's a hell of an act. What do the call it?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:capitalism:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Food prices are lower now than they’ve ever been. Are the US’s food subsidies and tariffs really hurting the American consumer that much?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

silence_kit posted:

Food prices are lower now than they’ve ever been. Are the US’s food subsidies and tariffs really hurting the American consumer that much?

The obesity rates are propably an indication that something's not right.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fish of hemp posted:

high obesity rate is way more preferable than a high chronic hunger rate

(bracing for LF level take "actually, there is both" etc.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Fish of hemp posted:

It suggests we've solved for caloric intake but not yet solved for nutrition. Also sugar is addictive as hell.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Farm subsidies are partly an effect of how (often basically tenant) farmers operate in an environment of ultra-low margins on farm products. You take a farm loan during planting season just to afford to plant your crops, and pay off the loan during market season when you sell the product of your land.

Why not do this all from retained profits instead? Well, you totally could, but then you get three bad years in a row and a bunch of farmers who can't get loans (because in our stipulated alternate universe there's no farm bank/government-supplied subsidized loan system) go bust and then suddenly there's a food shortage. It's better to prop up farmers through bad years with cheap subsidized loans than it is to let full-on capitalism and market forces determine from year to year how much gets planted and how much food is or isn't available.

But.

In the modern era, massive consolidation of farms has resulted in a few enormous corporations dominating the markets for many different farm commodities (think corn, soybeans, wheat, etc.) Those companies could totally finance their own year to year planting and if government came in and said "you have to plant x acres no matter what, because this is our national food supply, and if you can't afford it because you distributed all your corporate profits to shareholders and have no cash and can't borrow at a rate you can afford... we'll take you over, break you up, and distribute the parts to better managed companies that don't gently caress up like that," maybe that'd be better?

I'm not enough (or at all) of an expert to say for sure that'd work. The current system "works" in that the country is awash in cheap calories and hasn't had a real food shortage in something approaching a century. It doesn't work in the sense that taxpayers are subsidizing huge corporations and their profits, entire state governments and their congressional reps are essentially owned by those ag companies, the food we're awash in is not great for us (corn syrup being at the top of the list), and oh, we also ruin or hold down the economies of developing countries because it's cheaper for them to import American corn than it is for their own subsistence farmers to produce and sell crops in their cities at a price that'd allow them to prosper. Also a by-product of overproduction of land-intensive food like corn is that we've almost totally converted the great American prairie into plowed-up monoculture, destroying most of what was once a vast and vibrant ecosystem; we use vast amounts of industrially-produced fertilizer in order to grow those crops, and the runoff of that fertilizer into our waterways also destroys those waterways. We use a lot of fossil fuels to mechanize the growth of those crops. We've genetically engineered herbicide-resistant strains of those crops so that we can indiscriminately dump herbicides onto most of those vast stretches of land, further destroying any attempt by native plants to survive and by extension native wildlife to find tiny niches for them to maybe survive in. And through vast corporate ownership of farmland, we've largely destroyed that time-honored nostalgic institution of the small family farmer, even though those huge corporations are delighted to continue to leverage that obsolete imagery to further entrench the system that maintains those subsidized profits.

But as Discendo Vox said, we have stable food markets because we've built and refined and further refined and entrenched a system that pretty well guarantees that plenty of food is planted and harvested every year no matter what happened the previous years. And having food security is part of what's permitted America to rise to its current state of global economic dominance.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

In the modern era, massive consolidation of farms has resulted in a few enormous corporations dominating the markets

And through vast corporate ownership of farmland, we've largely destroyed that time-honored nostalgic institution of the small family farmer, even though those huge corporations are delighted to continue to leverage that obsolete imagery to further entrench the system that maintains those subsidized profits.

most farmland is still owned by "family farms", whatever that means. generally non-incorporated proprietorships or families who run their business as a family owned corporation. a smaller but substantial proportion of farmland is owned by people or small businesses who are not "farmers" themselves but rent the land to the actual people who engage in farm labor. only a small portion of land is owned and operated directly by corporations, typically high value crops like berries and not bulk grains or livestock

for example - my grandfather owns a farm. he is too old to farm it himself, so he rents the land to a cousin who lives nearby who still farms. farmer cousin works his own land, plus grandpa's land, and gives grandpa a slice of the earnings from produce grown on grandpa's land. technically grandpa doesn't own the land himself, it is owned by a trust, and farmer cousin does not do business directly as his own personage but as "farmer cousin farms llc". so, this complex relationship between two related men is best described as a corporate entity serving as a tenant farmer to another landlord business entity. this kind of relationship is far more common than a for-profit entity "Corn Co." which operates as a business, has employees who show up for shifts, has a board etc. which owns and operates farmland

the level of corporate control in the ag business is truly staggering, but it is more advantageous for large corporate entities to leverage their power at the silo, at the seed store, in selling farm supplies and buying farm products, than in the direct ownership and administration of land. a few poultry companies have a tight grip on the chicken market, where most chickens are raised in facilites owned and operated by small proprietors and family corporations who own the land, but sign deals with someone like tyson foods to take delivery of tyson chicks and raise them with the intention of selling full chickens back to tyson at an agreed price. same as cargill signing contracts to buy corn from small producers, or campbell's buying tomatos, or jr simplot buying potatoes etc.

direct corporate control of farmland is increasing, because a lot of farmers are dying off and selling their land. when grandpa dies the trust will probably liquidate the land because nobody in my family wants to live in rural nowhere and farm corn. probably some corporate entity will be the buyer because again, there aren't a lot of small farmers out there looking to get a stake and start farming for themselves. maybe cousin farmer will buy it but the same problem will pop up when he dies. farming completely sucks as a job

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Some thing else to consider is that US grain exports are also one of the big things that foreign nations with dollars buy, because they have dollars. Grain exports are one of the many things tied up to the dollars use as the worlds reserve currency.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

When you're discussing farms through the lens of what's the best way to organize them economically you do need to remember that there is a big difference between a factory or store which is a closed-ish artificial system where you can have very good control over almost every aspect and a farm where you are at the mercy of nature and weather patterns, insects, and crop disease can all gently caress things up quickly and mercilessly.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

When you're discussing farms through the lens of what's the best way to organize them economically you do need to remember that there is a big difference between a factory or store which is a closed-ish artificial system where you can have very good control over almost every aspect and a farm where you are at the mercy of nature and weather patterns, insects, and crop disease can all gently caress things up quickly and mercilessly.

yeah. keeping direct ownership of land in "small family farms" is a good way for companies to get the benefits while offloading responsibilities and costs. it's similar to other gig work, whether you're using your car to drive passengers for uber's benefit or using your five hundred acres to raise wheat for conagra's benefit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks that's interesting, and I'm not too surprised I got an important detail wrong (i am not a farmer). The big picture is still, corporatized highly efficient low-margin foodstuff production with systems designed to ensure a food supply over all other concerns including especially environmental ones. And of such importance in many rural farm states that those corporations effectively own their respective state governments, at least when it comes to any and all policy that affects farming.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Some thing else to consider is that US grain exports are also one of the big things that foreign nations with dollars buy, because they have dollars. Grain exports are one of the many things tied up to the dollars use as the worlds reserve currency.

That and oil. And plasma surprisingly enough.

That was the big conspiracy rumor about Gulf War 2 (or was it 1). That Saddam was going to create an alternate oil market in a denomination other than USD and the United States couldn’t let that happen. No idea if there’s any truth to that, but countries buying crude in Euros would definitely make America’s day suck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The foods produced by the agricultural industry in the united states are not somehow inherently unhealthy. Corn syrup isn't different from other sugars.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is basically why the USDA and all the benefits of farm subsidies were constructed.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 31, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

silence_kit posted:

Well Silence, that's a really complicated question, depending on how you define "hurting," but I'm going to go ahead and say, Yes.

Discendo Vox posted:

The foods produced by the agricultural industry in the united states are not somehow inherently unhealthy. Corn syrup isn't different from other sugars.

1) "other sugars" covers a huge number of chemical compounds and nutritive substances that absolutely have different effects and impacts on the body.

2) the massive, massive ecological toll imposed on the environment says hell yes this food is unhealthy. if producing enough hamburgers for the country poisons the water and fills the air with smoke, that's inherently unhealthy. we have to look at this system holistically and walk the hell away from Omelas Farms.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 31, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thank you for deliberately taking both of my statements out of context. I appreciate the opportunity to disengage with a bad faith jackass as quickly as possible.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
you're welcome, if there's anything else you need help googling feel free to consult the Simple English Wikipedia.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

I saw someone describe TV episode as a real who's who of x and I was thinking weren't there literal books called that? Turns out yeah. Listings of notable persons. Such a Sherlock Holmes era type thing in my mind.

this is a few pages back, but I have a story to tell, here.

not only was the who's who a series of books, there were spinoffs that, given the appropriate amount of money and the appropriate need to advertise yourself in print to other well-heeled jackasses, you too could be in the who's who.

The case of this of which I am here to post about occurred in the very late 90s (I graduated in 2000)

whereupon I discovered, on my friend (soon to be valedictorian of our class) 's bookshelf, the previous year's edition of the who's who of american high school students
which his parents had gotten an entry for him for, and so we spent several minutes poking through to see if there were any names we recognized
and it was all just incredibly boring poo poo like "anton aurelias chucklefuck IV, from such-and-such private prep school in upstate new york, plays badminton and squash, hoping to read history at oxford"

whatever

and there were several chucklefucks from our incredibly average semi-rural high school in there.
which, also whatever, some parents are rich fascists, I get it. what neither of us got, is why the eventual salutatorian of our graduating class (or her parents, I guess) actually were so desperate for prestige that they lied on her w.w.a.h.s.s. resume, saying she was in a bunch of activities that she wasn't. the one that bugged us was that we were the captain and vice-captain of what our school called "scholastics" and any school with three brain cells to rub together called "quiz bowl," and her resume said she was on the varsity scholastics team four years running or some poo poo like that.

how loving hollow must your life be at that point, that you gotta lie about what your kid does after school and pay money to a book no-one's gonna read to get it printed in there?

(okay I just looked at wikipedia, this is even weirder, because you don't pay to get in, you just get scammed to pay for your copy of the book. and they're bankrupt now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_Who_Among_American_High_School_Students )

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The real scam is not that they make you pay for your own copy, it's that they mail advertisements to your grandparents and encourage them to shell out. I graduated about the same time as you and I remember getting a ton of Who's Who marketing materials targeted as family members, presumably because they're easier marks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wizzardstaff posted:

The real scam is not that they make you pay for your own copy, it's that they mail advertisements to your grandparents and encourage them to shell out. I graduated about the same time as you and I remember getting a ton of Who's Who marketing materials targeted as family members, presumably because they're easier marks.

I got those when I was a junior in high school. I didn't get the book, but the school's library did. Not surprisingly, I was not listed.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

hexwren posted:

this is a few pages back, but I have a story to tell, here.

not only was the who's who a series of books, there were spinoffs that, given the appropriate amount of money and the appropriate need to advertise yourself in print to other well-heeled jackasses, you too could be in the who's who.

The case of this of which I am here to post about occurred in the very late 90s (I graduated in 2000)

whereupon I discovered, on my friend (soon to be valedictorian of our class) 's bookshelf, the previous year's edition of the who's who of american high school students
which his parents had gotten an entry for him for, and so we spent several minutes poking through to see if there were any names we recognized
and it was all just incredibly boring poo poo like "anton aurelias chucklefuck IV, from such-and-such private prep school in upstate new york, plays badminton and squash, hoping to read history at oxford"

whatever

and there were several chucklefucks from our incredibly average semi-rural high school in there.
which, also whatever, some parents are rich fascists, I get it. what neither of us got, is why the eventual salutatorian of our graduating class (or her parents, I guess) actually were so desperate for prestige that they lied on her w.w.a.h.s.s. resume, saying she was in a bunch of activities that she wasn't. the one that bugged us was that we were the captain and vice-captain of what our school called "scholastics" and any school with three brain cells to rub together called "quiz bowl," and her resume said she was on the varsity scholastics team four years running or some poo poo like that.

how loving hollow must your life be at that point, that you gotta lie about what your kid does after school and pay money to a book no-one's gonna read to get it printed in there?

(okay I just looked at wikipedia, this is even weirder, because you don't pay to get in, you just get scammed to pay for your copy of the book. and they're bankrupt now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_Who_Among_American_High_School_Students )

I can do better than that, I discovered that the parents of somebody who went to my school had a life-size bronze statue made of their son placed their garden. Like, 10's of thousands of dollars kind of statue. His body is Adonis like and mid sprint with a rugby ball.

When I found out about this years later, I refused to believe it until I was shown a photo. I've never been more speechless in my entire life than seeing that photo. Also fun bonus, he is now totally fat and out of shape, and his parents own this forever reminder of him at his sporting prime to taunt him whenever he comes home. Every time I remember that drat statue I loving crack up.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jeza posted:

I can do better than that, I discovered that the parents of somebody who went to my school had a life-size bronze statue made of their son placed their garden. Like, 10's of thousands of dollars kind of statue. His body is Adonis like and mid sprint with a rugby ball.

When I found out about this years later, I refused to believe it until I was shown a photo. I've never been more speechless in my entire life than seeing that photo. Also fun bonus, he is now totally fat and out of shape, and his parents own this forever reminder of him at his sporting prime to taunt him whenever he comes home. Every time I remember that drat statue I loving crack up.

That's amazing.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
America, are you ok?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Well Europe sure gave us a crackerjack bunch of chucklefucks to start the party about 500 years ago, didn't they?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

1) "other sugars" covers a huge number of chemical compounds and nutritive substances that absolutely have different effects and impacts on the body.

this is very much not accurate, i think in this case more googling will be a detriment to you rather than a benefit

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Fish of hemp posted:

America, are you ok?

*long, protracted sobs*

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i just thought of one- Pocket protectors as shorthand for "nerd." Glasses fixed with tape has a few more years of life due to Harry Potter, but as far as i can tell only "legacy nerds" like Prof. Frink still have them.

luxury handset posted:

this is very much not accurate, i think in this case more googling will be a detriment to you rather than a benefit

http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Ar-Bo/Artificial-Sweeteners.html and this just covers artificial sweeteners.

edit- just wait till y'all find out how many different kinds of salt there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nerds in media today have bad haircuts and windbreakers instead of white short sleeve shirts and pocket protectors. So more Booger than Poindexter.

Also video games have become ubiquitous enough that you need desktop board gaming to signify a real nerd.