Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jagged Jim posted:

Anyone check out Coffee Talk yet? It looks like Valhalla (whatever weird spelling they use for it) but with coffee and elves which sounds like my jam.

From the sound of it the writing can be somewhat dry which I imagine would be an issue in a game all about dialogue, my impression is that it's basically VA-11 Hall-A lite so more in that similar style but not considered on par with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Griefor posted:

Installing a Trojan on all players' machines: cool and good.

Banning someone: going too far.
it's only a trojan when the players invite it into their home

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Just started Steins; Gate. Whaaaaaaaaaat in the world?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jamfrost posted:

Just started Steins; Gate. Whaaaaaaaaaat in the world?
Avoid the rest of the series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanfy posted:

From the sound of it the writing can be somewhat dry which I imagine would be an issue in a game all about dialogue, my impression is that it's basically VA-11 Hall-A lite so more in that similar style but not considered on par with it.

Being worse than Valhalla is pretty damning

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Being worse than Valhalla is pretty damning

It's certainly one of those cases where goon opinion and general opinion have always been fairly at odds, end of the day though game was overall a smash hit and incredibly well-liked while by all accounts Coffee Talk falls short from being able to reach a similar classic status due to its unengaging writing.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 30, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Communist Bear posted:

Is there a Temtem thread yet? Or anyone here played it yet?

awesmoe posted:

its pokemon but less charming
e: i refunded it after about 90 minutes. It's just the same grinding and rock/paper/scissors, but instead of a psyduck you get....a duck with a shell strapped to its head and instead of squirtle you get...not squirtle. etc.

I've played ~2-3 hours with it and have to disagree with this. Some of the monster names/designs may be uninspired but I think the art style is pretty good looking/clean and the combat animations are very good. They're clearly going for a 1:1 Pokemon recreation so you know what you're getting into with this but they've made some nice small changes to the formula that in my opinion makes it feel like, well, a modern take on Pokemon. It's for sure going for the classic Pokemon experience so it is incredibly grindy due to no exp share but I'm definitely into what I've seen so far and can't wait to see how it improves. It's going to be in Early Access until like Summer of 2021 so there's a ways to go still.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Avoid the rest of the series.

Yep. The only good one is the original.

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009

Det_no posted:

I guess it's not that weird then. I might buy a new cooler around June when things start getting hot but for now I'll prioritize a Windows 10 key. New install decided my original upgrade key wasn't good enough or something. Thanks guys.

I had this problem because I upgraded from Windows 8. If you upgraded form 7 or 8 you can use the key from 7 or 8 and still get windows 10 without paying. Had to call support to find that out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Are external USB 3.1 SSDs fine for gaming?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

Some of the loads can be potentially kinda rough but it's what I was using for a while before I went oops all SSDs and once in gameplay it was never a real issue.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

I use an external NVMe SSD and it’s still zippy as hell and I have no issues at all. It reads at 1.2GB/s over thunderbolt and 400MB/s through a standard USB port according to the benchmarks I ran, so it’s still way faster than an HDD.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

awesmoe posted:

its pokemon but less charming
e: i refunded it after about 90 minutes. It's just the same grinding and rock/paper/scissors, but instead of a psyduck you get....a duck with a shell strapped to its head and instead of squirtle you get...not squirtle. etc.

From what I hear it's actually difficult and may require a brain to play, which hasn't been true of a Pokemon game for some time now

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
This weekend I will finally know what the hell Kentucky Route 0 is.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody been having longer load times in GTFO? Just noticed it last night, no real issues once we're in-game but it seems to be taking a little longer on the drop-in loading screen.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Is Steam down?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trickyblackjack posted:

it's really phenomenal as an indie art game

a lot of gamers are going to be trying this game and the only advice i have is to expect this game to make more emotional sense than logical sense

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I checked two sites dedicated to telling me if Steam is down and one said yes, the other had a lot of errors for Steam services. I think that is another yes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guys I took Kentucky route 418 instead, how do I get back to route zero

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Having played all three at this point, it's clear Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! is the awkward midpoint between 1 and 3. There are definite improvements over the first game, but they extend in so many different directions that you're just as likely to get frustrated by the changes. For me I actually like the open, almost directionless progression offered by the many side gigs, but the increased complexity of adding a whole new prep system on top of 1's systems dampens my enthusiasm a lot. I'll talk about it tomorrow but 3 very much refined all of this into something clever, focused, and challenging.

A good developer will take player feedback from a previous game into account when designing the next, and there’s no doubt that’s what the Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! devs did. I know I wasn’t the only one a little put off by the progression and variety of the original CSD, because those are the chief changes you’ll find in CSD2. There’s a lot more that’s been added to the mix as well, making this a very ambitious follow-up title. Ambition is what you’ll need to break into it, too, because for every change addressing a weakness of the first, there’s seemingly a new system or challenge to make this one even harder.

The first Cook, Serve, Delicious! ended with you running a smashing five-star restaurant out of SherriSoda Tower, but there is no success the investor class can’t ruin. A rash of hardcore embezzlement has left the tower and your establishment destitute, your only recourse being to start over from scratch. And why not? You did it once, you can do it again from the heights of the Teragon Supertower. Here you’ll have total control over the new Cook, Serve, Delicious! restaurant, but also the opportunity to take shifts at the other eateries in the tower. Ranging from snacks and desserts to steak and seafood houses, each shop features a vastly different lineup of foods to prepare and challenges to overcome. Whether you’re working your own tables or temping for others, your goal remains the same: rebuild your restaurant and reputation until you’re once again among the culinary greats of the world.

Hopefully you remember how the original CSD operated, with its thrilling, high-stress, button-pressing cooking and extremely gradual progression. There are a lot of changes here to highlight, and the first has to be the new cooking options. In addition to the short-order shuffle of the first game, there are now prep stations that can hold entrees and side orders. The utility of preparing meals ahead of rushes should be obvious, but optional side dishes can also be prepared to extend the time that people will wait for their orders. This can stack to dramatic effect, giving you upwards of a full minute to get to cooking an order. It’s not really optional, either, because you start off with seven stations to take orders from as opposed to the four from the original, and the new recipes are not going to make matters any easier.

I’m coming at this from a bit of a weird angle because I’ve already played Cook, Serve, Delicious!! 3!? and I know how the gameplay loop smartly evolves from here, but CSD2 feels like a massive overload coming from CSD1. Prep stations add an interesting new angle to the game but one that doesn’t really compliment the intensity of CSD1’s made-to-order madness. A big part of this is how ridiculously complicated even the most simple orders are in this one, requiring multiple preparation steps and thumbing through pages of ingredients to make something. Dishes with multiple pages of stuff in CSD1 were huge jumps in difficulty for me, and here everything has them, even cereal where you have to turn the page to get to the milk. I tried a shift at a Chinese restaurant where to make any meat dish, you had to pick one of five marinades, one of two proteins, let it cook, then get back to it before it burns and pick another sauce from page 1 and more topping from pages 2 and 3. And during rushes you’ll have seven tickets like that. According to the in-game clock, my shift at the Chinese place ended at 10pm and I finished my last order at 1am.

If everything in Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! wasn’t so absurdly hard to make, I’d almost certainly prefer it greatly to the first game. The menu is enormous now and buzz is an entirely optional system (that you have to opt out of, but still), meaning you can build the menu of your dreams and really drill down on the recipes you like. Having the option of doing traditional days at your restaurant or shifts with specific menus at others gives the game a lot of variety, especially since you can try out new foods on the job and you get experience no matter what you’re doing. It might even be too much variety, because I won’t deny CSD2 feeling a little directionless at times. The requirements for star ranks are gone and progression seems centered around leveling up, so you’re really just on your own indefinitely. Upgrades are limited to reducing the impact of chores and there’s a robust design mode for customizing the look of your restaurant, though it’s purely cosmetic.

I really do think Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! is an improvement over the original game, but with so many different, dramatic changes, it probably comes out even for most folks. For my part, I love how open and sandboxy the whole structure is, but I really chafe at how much harder even basic dishes are. The prep stations are a cool idea (and I know they lead to something great in CSD3), but here they only add to the complexity. Anyone who enjoyed the first Cook, Serve, Delicious! should definitely give this a try, just with the understanding that too much has changed to really guarantee anything. If you liked complex orders or disliked the slow progression, you’ll likely appreciate this one more, at least once you work your way through the buffet of changes to the best bits.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Too Shy Guy posted:

I really do think Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! is an improvement over the original game, but with so many different, dramatic changes, it probably comes out even for most folks. For my part, I love how open and sandboxy the whole structure is, but I really chafe at how much harder even basic dishes are. The prep stations are a cool idea (and I know they lead to something great in CSD3), but here they only add to the complexity. Anyone who enjoyed the first Cook, Serve, Delicious! should definitely give this a try, just with the understanding that too much has changed to really guarantee anything. If you liked complex orders or disliked the slow progression, you’ll likely appreciate this one more, at least once you work your way through the buffet of changes to the best bits.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that felt this way, the recipes that have three pages of things that I had to keep my eyes glued to the ingredients were the harder ones in CSD1 (like the Lasagna comes to mind) and I did totally feel this jump in difficulty in the sequel and I think it turned me off from the game. There wasn't much of an incentive to pick the harder dishes when you didn't have to so I ended up doing the same easier dishes that would let me get through a shift faster and with less of a headache most of the time. There's still a lot of harder stuff from the start of CSD3 but I appreciate that they've introduced a difficulty multiplier as well as the minimum difficulty requirements to not only force you to go out of your comfort zone but get rewarded for doing it successfully too. I have some issues with keybinds and sometimes hit the wrong key but that becomes less of an issue with more practice. Still though I'd really like it if you could add ingredients in whatever order you want to (especially for something like a Ceviche that just all gets mixed up in the end anyway) or let us scrap an order in the middle of preparing it for a cash penalty or something because you accidentally put the wrong thing in it.

Your screenshot shows controller button prompts, have you tried playing with a keyboard? I tried playing on a controller once and was so drat confused and it felt like I completely forgot how to play the game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

explosivo posted:

Your screenshot shows controller button prompts, have you tried playing with a keyboard? I tried playing on a controller once and was so drat confused and it felt like I completely forgot how to play the game.

I use store screenshots these days. I only play CSD with the keyboard, the very notion of attempting it with a controller fills me with dread.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

yes, Steam is down to the point not even offline mode works. Can't remember the last time this happened

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I had the feeling that in CSD2, you really had to remember the correct combination of keystrokes if you wanted to be succesful, because otherwise you'd lose too much time flipping through the pages.

Going to try out CSD3 tonight!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

haldolium posted:

yes, Steam is down to the point not even offline mode works. Can't remember the last time this happened

Just when I wanted to bideo james, this is outrageous.

e: ok it works again, I was just about to kill myself

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 30, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I almost registered a new facebook account to write an outraged social media post but yeah it works again

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Too Shy Guy posted:

I use store screenshots these days. I only play CSD with the keyboard, the very notion of attempting it with a controller fills me with dread.

Ah okay haha I thought that might've been the case. I can see the argument for the controller, having everything be possible without having to move around a keyboard. I think the dev said he exclusively plays on the controller but I feel like having the letters loosely correspond to the ingredient helps immensely. I want to learn how to use a controller because if I ever want to play co-op I imagine the keyboard would be easier for a newbie but eh. I can't get my gf to play this with me anyway because it's too frantic :smith:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Trickyblackjack posted:

Same. Got it ages ago, was waiting until it's finished.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Guys I took Kentucky route 418 instead, how do I get back to route zero

Drive down the 418 with the radio off until the hiss of pavement beneath your tires reminds you of that song your mother used to hum, in the days before the drinking got out of hand. Pull over to the side of the road and stare at your face in the rearview mirror until it becomes a stranger's. Say to it, "The last time is the last time," but in the voice of a man who knows he is damned to forever make a liar of himself. Then pull back onto the road (headlights on - it will be nightfall). Follow the sound of horses.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

haldolium posted:

That seems to happen when the Steam network wedges itself into a half-alive state where some things work, but others don't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Drive down the 418 with the radio off until the hiss of pavement beneath your tires reminds you of that song your mother used to hum, in the days before the drinking got out of hand. Pull over to the side of the road and stare at your face in the rearview mirror until it becomes a stranger's. Say to it, "The last time is the last time," but in the voice of a man who knows he is damned to forever make a liar of himself. Then pull back onto the road (headlights on - it will be nightfall). Follow the sound of horses.

gently caress, I'm in Ohio now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

gently caress, I'm in Ohio now

horses, not ponies!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

From what I hear it's actually difficult and may require a brain to play, which hasn't been true of a Pokemon game for some time now

That’s fair, I definitely bailed before it had a chance to get challenging or interesting

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pennfalath posted:

I had the feeling that in CSD2, you really had to remember the correct combination of keystrokes if you wanted to be succesful, because otherwise you'd lose too much time flipping through the pages.

Going to try out CSD3 tonight!

CSD3 has a lot of mostly unchanged foods from 2, multiple pages and all, but the visible difficulties really helped me ensure I only have a couple tricky foods at a time. Alternately, you can do the opposite and give yourself 6 different salads on the menu at once to die screaming.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 30, 2020

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

The structure of CSD3 also makes it much more manageable, since you can see what's coming up at the next stop and prepare so much in advance. Complex recipes are hell when there's like seven to do all at once, but a good challenge when they're special orders you're stocking ahead of time.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Just finished Void Bastards, it was a good run. If you like twitchy, shooty stealth 'em ups, this is for you. The graphics are crisp and convey everything it needs to in a quick look. There's not much story but the style and humour makes up for it, it's very british and Hitchiker's style. It's got the "one more run" roguelite thing down pat, and you lose very little upon death, which will happen often early on as you figure the game out. Hope they make a sequel with even more stuff.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
FTL added achievements and they activate retroactively once you start the game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Too Shy Guy, I bought CSD3 because of you! -- in that your videos and posts are the only reason I knew it was out, somehow. I didn't get on with 2 but I got so much fun out of the first game that I'll pretty much buy whatever that dev cares to make forever.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kennel posted:

FTL added achievements and they activate retroactively once you start the game.

Weird but cool I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HopperUK posted:

Too Shy Guy, I bought CSD3 because of you! -- in that your videos and posts are the only reason I knew it was out, somehow. I didn't get on with 2 but I got so much fun out of the first game that I'll pretty much buy whatever that dev cares to make forever.

The dev was on Giant Bomb a few months ago to show off the game and said that he pretty much got shoehorned into making 2 and 3 when he initially didn't plan to continue past the first one because of how much people wanted a sequel, but is really excited to finally not be making a game anything like CSD so yeah I'm curious to see what's next for them.