Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Has there ever been a good anime

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

Has there ever been a good live action anime adaption

Death Note,

But only according to a certain professional youtuber/contrarian goon.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The Last Airbender and The Ghost In The Shell were pretty good because they show how anime sucks tbh

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Edge of Tomorrow, if manga counts. Oldboy as well if manga counts.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney live action was pretty good and faithful to the original. Same with the Kenshin movie.

The problem is western anime adaptations are like early comic book adaptations; they aren't respectful of the source material. They think "well, this is fine and good, but we're gonna make it better and more like a Holllywood movie" and they loving ruin everything that made it an interesting property in the first place. We need to get to the MCU age where people actually give a gently caress about the original comics and understand how to convey that tone in live action movies.

Such as the Ghost in the Shell or Dragon Ball or Airbender (if americanime counts) adaptations which changed a ton and hosed everything up.

God I really hope that Cowboy Bebop doesn't suck balls, don't let me down John Cho

MiddleOne posted:

Death Note,

HELL no they hosed that up royally, it was awful

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I didn't realize manga and anime were synonymous terms, I look forward to using them interchangably henceforth

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zoux posted:

Oh I didn't realize manga and anime were synonymous terms, I look forward to using them interchangably henceforth

That's why I asked "if it counts" sheesh! Sue me for mentioning a couple of anime-adjacent entries.

Seriously zoux, sorry I responded. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope too late, to me, mangas are animes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hey TV people you like good stories, right? and do you have a home device that can play modern video games? if so, play KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

hey TV people you like good stories, right? and do you have a home device that can play modern video games? if so, play KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO

KRZ is amazing and I can’t wait to have an hour or two so I can play act 5. I’ve been playing that game for seven years and I can’t wait for it to emotionally gutpunch me one last time.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
ghost in the shell is getting turned into a ps3 cutscene, if that helps the argument

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ITS CALLED JAPANIMATION

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Speed Racer is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arist posted:

Speed Racer is great.

Your love of CD's leaf has clouded your mind

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not even that controversial an opinion on the internet these days, come on

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That's because we mostly forgot about it

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Arist posted:

Speed Racer is great.

I watched this recently for the first time after avoiding it when it first came out. It is pretty good. Visually it is incredible and really does the source material justice. Now the source is 60 years old so there is that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arist posted:

That's not even that controversial an opinion on the internet these days, come on

Sir I am currently fighting tooth and claw in the RSF over if the prequels are good or not there is no tired subjective discussion of taste and quality beneath me at this point

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Sir I am currently fighting tooth and claw in the RSF over if the prequels are good or not there is no tired subjective discussion of taste and quality beneath me at this point

The Prequels are better than the Sequels

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Last Jedi was good and I will die on this hill every single time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Friends there's a whole subforum for this kind of fighting and well, it's real fun

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Speed Racer is great.

If you go in expecting literally Hot Wheels: The Movie its decent.

The thing is its more based on the experience of watching Speed Racer the US cartoon and not really knowing what's going on, compared to the actual Mach GoGoGo which was a proper racing show, even if it was rudimentary in animation.

So I can't stand it. The cars all move wrong and its just extremely contrived.

But I'm a car guy, so its kinda like a doctor watching a medical show or a lawyer watching a court drama, that's the nature of the deal I guess. But then I can enjoy even the goofiness of Fast n' Furious, at least things look right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

Friends there's a whole subforum for this kind of fighting and well, it's real fun

That place is FYAD-lite trash and I will never post there, I refuse to be caged :argh:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Trailer for David Simon's "The Plot Against America"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Xu6FuP-IM

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Djarum posted:

Oh man the Mick was pretty good too. I was surprised that got canceled.

I was amazed it even got renewed, I consider two seasons a blessing. It was a great show but it was in this weird place where it being on network TV meant that it seems like people who would normally dig edgy feel-bad sitcoms wouldn't give it a chance even though it really pushed the envelope in terms of the sheer amount of cartoonish violence and child endangerment inflicted on the cast.

zoux posted:

I dunno if any of y'all have ever seen any of LMS but it is literally Boomer Facebook: The TV Show

I mean from what I've heard when it first started out it was a much more straightforward Home Improvement 2.0 "dumb dad hot wife precocious kids *Tim Allen grunt*" sitcom but that didn't stick so they leaned way more on it being political and that was what found it an audience so it basically followed the trajectory of every right-wing grifter having their origins in a failed comedian.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you go in expecting literally Hot Wheels: The Movie its decent.

The thing is its more based on the experience of watching Speed Racer the US cartoon and not really knowing what's going on, compared to the actual Mach GoGoGo which was a proper racing show, even if it was rudimentary in animation.

So I can't stand it. The cars all move wrong and its just extremely contrived.

But I'm a car guy, so its kinda like a doctor watching a medical show or a lawyer watching a court drama, that's the nature of the deal I guess. But then I can enjoy even the goofiness of Fast n' Furious, at least things look right.

I don't think a movie that opens with cars doing 270 degree turns on a giant track suspended in midair while the lead character races the ghost of his brother straight out of a Mario Kart replay should be criticized for not adhering to realism. There are tons of movies that are built around doing practical stunts with real cars and tons more that strive for realism with their special effects, having a movie that cares more about selling the thrill and chaos of racing in the abstract while being as colorful and unreal as possible is a much rarer thing and them pulling it off is nothing short of amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I don't think a movie that opens with cars doing 270 degree turns on a giant track suspended in midair while the lead character races the ghost of his brother straight out of a Mario Kart replay should be criticized for not adhering to realism. There are tons of movies that are built around doing practical stunts with real cars and tons more that strive for realism with their special effects, having a movie that cares more about selling the thrill and chaos of racing in the abstract while being as colorful and unreal as possible is a much rarer thing and them pulling it off is nothing short of amazing.

Did you just feel like hearing yourself speak? Because you kinda ignored the point of my comment to rant.

I literally said its fine if you go in expecting hot wheels. And now you're arguing to me that hot wheels movies deserve to exist. Cool, yeah, that's the point.

If it wasn't based on an existing IP I'd have zero complaints. But you see, there's this thing called context. I know on an internet message board its tempting to snipe a comment out of the air and attack it because it isn't a perfect message in a bottle, but you have to consider the context of conversations; and the context of my post was I was responding to specifically the idea of anime adaptations. And in that context, I was frustrated with the adaptation because it seemed to use the name but take it in a very specific angle not really true to the original IP but instead just more specific to some westerners' take on it.

Also the idea that you're supposed to know how a movie opens before you've seen it when you're deciding to see it or not is really odd. That's not how anything works, Sleeveless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like The Council is a much better recommend for TVIV

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's basically a playable Netflix show, kind of a cross between Penny Dreadful and Billions

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Has there ever been a good live action anime adaption

Did everyone forget about Alita that goddamn fast

e: Like, I was pretty skeptical that that type of OTT anime could be done well in live-action too, and then Alita went and nailed it and was a generally loving awesome movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also I thought Death Note was fine and don't really get why everyone hates it so much. It's pretty, the performances are great, the story is more or less the original but reconfigured into a teen horror movie. It was dece. :shrug:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Sad News here.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/fred-silverman-dies-legendary-tv-executive-producer-was-82-1202847035/

Fred Silverman for those who don't know is one of the most influential TV producers and execs of all time. Pretty much every iconic television show from the mid 70s through the early 90s had his fingerprints. And for those of a certain age in Chicago, Zim-Bomba, Bozo’s Circus and Family Classics for WGN.

He was a absolute legend in the industry and they do not make them like him anymore.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Unrelated to the live action anime talk, Cells at Work is even more absurd than the premise would suggest. Not sure that I would call it good in any sense, but an episode now is fun with how over the top it is. And there's english audio so you don't have to pay too much attention.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Trailer for David Simon's "The Plot Against America"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Xu6FuP-IM

Looks good, love the cast. Hope Simon's terminal lib brain doesn't gently caress it up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Did everyone forget about Alita that goddamn fast

e: Like, I was pretty skeptical that that type of OTT anime could be done well in live-action too, and then Alita went and nailed it and was a generally loving awesome movie

Agree but I thought it was somewhat poorly received?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

The first couple seasons of Community were good, but I felt like it quickly went up it's own rear end.

Community gets better when Chevy Chase is finally gone, but he also left around when some other great people did unfortunately. I think a Pierce-less edit of Community would be great, even including Pierce-centric episodes that wouldn't make sense without him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I feel like The Council is a much better recommend for TVIV

I haven’t played it yet you idiot!!!!!!!! but I did buy it based on your rec

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Community gets better when Chevy Chase is finally gone, but he also left around when some other great people did unfortunately. I think a Pierce-less edit of Community would be great, even including Pierce-centric episodes that wouldn't make sense without him.

I was thinking this about P and R and Tom Haverford the other day. There’s so many sitcoms that have a character like that that just goes a liiitle too far, so instead of being funny they’re just profoundly irritating.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem is western anime adaptations are like early comic book adaptations; they aren't respectful of the source material. They think "well, this is fine and good, but we're gonna make it better and more like a Holllywood movie" and they loving ruin everything that made it an interesting property in the first place.

I mean to be fair that was the right call for Edge of Tomorrow. All the extraneous generic anime-ness of that story weighed down the fun sci fi/action concept.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was thinking this about P and R and Tom Haverford the other day. There’s so many sitcoms that have a character like that that just goes a liiitle too far, so instead of being funny they’re just profoundly irritating.

There was this point in like S2 or 3 of Community where Pierce just reached a point where I found it completely unbelievable that the rest of the cast would continue to hang out with him. Like he was this horrible racist monster who was actively testing and loving with his "friends" and none of them had any strong link or even seemed to really like him but they just kept hanging out with him. I remember having a bunch of arguments in the threads about it.

Although from what I remember the show did eventually acknowledge that and have them try and cut him off. But then I think they just lampshaded it and went back to normal.

Tom Haverford at least worked in the P&R office and always had a softer side underneath the layers of disgusting creepy monster. So like I never questioned why Leslie was still trying with him or why people were spending time around him. Well except that time they had Ann date him. That was nonsense.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s like one of the main arcs of season 2 though so it does seem weird to criticise it (you can criticise the way they handwave it all away in the s3 premiere though because that was a bit meh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think my criticisms largely came as it was developing, and yeah, it would have been fair to say in retrospect that it was going somewhere (until it wasn't) and I should have rode it out. Whether I was being impatient or the show wasn't moving fast enough I think I just had reached my end of Pierce before the characters themselves started to show it. And the thread was just in that "the show can do no wrong" place so it got messy.