Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m intrigued by Fantasy Island in a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Antebellum looks promising but I can't really get a sense of what it's gonna be like from the trailers

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Invisible Man and Halloween Kills are my two anticipated horror films for this year.

Invisible Man looks intense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Along with those I wanna see Gretel and Hansel, Antlers, underwater (out now), antebellum, candyman.

There's also organ donor (chris rock's saw movie), escape room 2, bhoot part 1, purge 5.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Netflix bought the rights to The Platform at TIFF, shouldn't be too long now. And that Taiwanese horror game from a few years ago, Detention, got a movie last year that's out on bluray now, but I don't think it's been licensed here yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh yea, forgot about Candyman. Very very interested to see how that one turns out. Chris Rock's Saw, not so much.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I’m intrigued by Fantasy Island in a couple of weeks.

I feel like that's either going to be great or terrible, either way I'll be entertained.

I'm hoping Escape Room 2 manages to be as good, maybe even better, than the first one. I want that franchise to keep going.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

gey muckle mowser posted:

Antebellum looks promising but I can't really get a sense of what it's gonna be like from the trailers

Antebellum just looks like The Village with extra slavery.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I feel like that's either going to be great or terrible, either way I'll be entertained.

I'm hoping Escape Room 2 manages to be as good, maybe even better, than the first one. I want that franchise to keep going.

I don't think I've gone as quickly from excitement for a sequel to complete disappointment as I did between finishing Escape Room, finding out there was a sequel, and then reading that it's a direct continuation from the first one.

It *could* work, and they tease what they wanna do, but I would really have a lot more fun with a whole new cast of characters Escaping a Room, like how Final Destination handled most of it's sequels.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Im the opposite and have no desire whatsoever to see Candyman remake

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Im the opposite and have no desire whatsoever to see Candyman remake

If it was some rando doing it I might feel the same way but Peele could do something really interesting with it. We'll see.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

Netflix bought the rights to The Platform at TIFF, shouldn't be too long now. And that Taiwanese horror game from a few years ago, Detention, got a movie last year that's out on bluray now, but I don't think it's been licensed here yet.

The Platform absolutely slaps.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there anything to be especially excited for this year in horror? Specifically coming to theatres?

The new Candyman written by Jordan Peele, I’m hoping that’ll be good

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If it was some rando doing it I might feel the same way but Peele could do something really interesting with it. We'll see.

Pretty sure it's just his production company not him directing

I'm not interested with there being no Tony Todd.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 30, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I kind of like Halloween Kills as a title. It has a similar energy as the Hammer Horror sequel titles

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I like the title as well

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure it's just his production company not him directing

I'm not interested with there being no Tony Todd.

I believe he wrote the screenplay at least.

No Tony Todd is a bummer though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I believe he wrote the screenplay at least.

No Tony Todd is a bummer though.
I don't think there should be a Candyman remake because Candyman is already perfect, but if you absolutely have to remake it, you can't put Tony Todd in it because it just draws more attention to this other, better version of the same thing that you've already seen that, y'know, he was in

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Burkion posted:

Honestly I kind of like Halloween Kills as a title. It has a similar energy as the Hammer Horror sequel titles

Nah, it sounds stupid, similar to when they put "Rob Zombie's" in front of the title.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Burkion posted:

Halloween Has Risen From the Grave

Halloween Created Woman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every Halloween sequel should just be called Halloween. All Michael cares about is that it's Halloween so that should be the title.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Water was the best Halloween title.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Antebellum looks like a time-traveling Confederate South that kidnaps people, based on the preview.

It feels like an jaded corporate reaction to Jordan Peele. Some boardroom asked themselves "What would be scary if we were black?" and landed on the Bermuda Southangle.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

moths posted:

Antebellum looks like a time-traveling Confederate South that kidnaps people, based on the preview.

It feels like an jaded corporate reaction to Jordan Peele. Some boardroom asked themselves "What would be scary if we were black?" and landed on the Bermuda Southangle.

There’s a new trailer that appears to give more of the game away. There’s heavily implied brainwashing to ignore/block out modern things like planes flying over.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh.

Jeez ok that sounds even dumber, I thought the disappearing plane was some time and space weirdness.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Water was the best Halloween title.

I didn't think Deepa Mehta could pull off a Halloween movie, but here we are.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Franchescanado posted:

I don't think I've gone as quickly from excitement for a sequel to complete disappointment as I did between finishing Escape Room, finding out there was a sequel, and then reading that it's a direct continuation from the first one.

It *could* work, and they tease what they wanna do, but I would really have a lot more fun with a whole new cast of characters Escaping a Room, like how Final Destination handled most of it's sequels.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. The elaborate personalized escape rooms from the first movie and how they specifically tied into the fears and experiences of each person playing were great and I'd love to see more of those.

However, I'm willing to give Escape Room 2 a chance and I'm hoping the direction they've decide to go in ends up being a good one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

chiming in on the Rosemary's Baby love. it has that real "dream logic anxiety attack" thing going on the whole time.

i also love the aesthetic of the satanist coven in it; they're so prosaic, just perfectly reasonable and friendly old people who have mad a pact with the dark lord. the only other movie to really nail that vibe for me has been Hereditary. rock on, satan's grandmas, rock on

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Nah, it sounds stupid, similar to when they put "Rob Zombie's" in front of the title.

Much like "Rob Zombie's," it can be both

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The_Doctor posted:

There’s a new trailer that appears to give more of the game away. There’s heavily implied brainwashing to ignore/block out modern things like planes flying over.

I got more of a Kindred vibe but who knows

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It makes sense that old people and not young people would be really into devil worship.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

It makes sense that old people and not young people would be really into devil worship.

That does explain boomers

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ok Satan Worshipper

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

That does explain boomers

Hey, Satan Worshipers are great, don't disparage them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hail Satan

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

alf_pogs posted:

chiming in on the Rosemary's Baby love. it has that real "dream logic anxiety attack" thing going on the whole time.

i also love the aesthetic of the satanist coven in it; they're so prosaic, just perfectly reasonable and friendly old people who have mad a pact with the dark lord. the only other movie to really nail that vibe for me has been Hereditary. rock on, satan's grandmas, rock on

But they're not reasonable and friendly, they're warped parodies of those things.

Stephen King did a great analysis of Rosemary's Baby in Danse Macabre. If you haven't read that book I highly recommend it, even if it is nearly 40 years out of date now. I've been holding out hopes that King would write a second volume some day.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there anything to be especially excited for this year in horror? Specifically coming to theatres?

Possessor looks interesting. Cronenberg's kid made it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Just watched Bliss, holy poo poo that was fuckin great. Would’ve been near the top of my year end list had I seen it in time.

Actual photo of me the whole time I was watching it:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Has there been official confirmation that Tony Todd isn’t playing Candyman again? From what I can tell he was, he wasn’t, but now he is. The Wikipedia page currently lists him in the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It definitely is a good movie to rewatch for that reason. But I do think it's scarier when you don't know that, because you're kinda in Rosemary's shoes as she has to deal with that confusion and realization that her husband just isn't listening and isn't going to help her. As if it were a Body Snatchers movie and he'd been replaced by a pod person.
The movie really shows how easy it is getting away with evil poo poo as long as you target women. In what is arguably one of the most unsettling scenes in the movie Rosemary goes to the police and basically shows all the signs of being abused and the police just hands her over to her husband.