Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

i wonder if michael chabon will have anything interesting to say about a stateless diaspora of people mistrusted based on rumor and stereotype :thunk::thunk::thunk:

The romulans resettled to Sitka, Alaska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
this seems like itll be a very nice show to fall asleep to

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
the bit in the season preview where old man picard says "engage" made me cringe

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like how Daystrom is spelled Daystrom instead of Daestrum. Daestrum is much more sciencey and respectable looking on paper

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Small Gay Planet posted:

I don't like how Daystrom is spelled Daystrom instead of Daestrum. Daestrum is much more sciencey and respectable looking on paper

the institute dates back to tng, but the name is a legacy of original recipe trek and so the spelling was a choice made back in the 1960s!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-FNPRfkOg8

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Squizzle posted:

the institute dates back to tng, but the name is a legacy of original recipe trek and so the spelling was a choice made back in the 1960s!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-FNPRfkOg8

Yeah, Daystrom's been a thing since the 60s. The Daystrom Institute is like his version of the Nobel Prize, a face-saving PR sideshow to try and make people forget that he made a thing that got a whole bunch of people killed.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Amazed that I've seen literally no marketing to indicate that this thing even came out.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

reignofevil posted:

"Did you ever lose faith in Data?"

"Never"

"I had Faith. Faith of the Heart."

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Didn't watch it op, is this show bankrupt from the start and going to ruin everything that made TNG good?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Up Circle posted:

Didn't watch it op, is this show bankrupt from the start and going to ruin everything that made TNG good?

So far it's managed not to be poo poo, which is amazing for a Star Trek pilot

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So far it's managed not to be poo poo, which is amazing for a Star Trek pilot

the pacing was bad. but the content.....it was good

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Squizzle posted:

the pacing was bad. but the content.....it was good

and also the whole time youre wondering if patrick stewart is going to collapse into a pile of dust because he looks older than guy pierce in prometheus

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kirk posted:

and also the whole time youre wondering if patrick stewart is going to collapse into a pile of dust because he looks older than guy pierce in prometheus

When the robo girl drags him up four flights of stairs I got really legitimately concerned and was like "no, stop robot lady, he's 130, he can't take it!"

...And then he got blown the gently caress up and was immediately fine afterwards so I'm not worried too much anymore.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
when he says "dont quit your dayjob" it sounded like the last words of a dying man

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

is pepsi ok posted:

yeah i'm not gonna watch this show

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Chrs posted:

Amazed that I've seen literally no marketing to indicate that this thing even came out.

They've had a billion ads during football. Beyond that :shrug:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

reignofevil posted:

Hey asswipes, Gene Rodenberry wanted a society where your average citizen was PAST this dumbshit cynical news-cycle that we're slaved to today

On the one hand I don't like to lean on ~*Gene's Vision*~ too much because he also had a lot of dumb ideas and was a pretty gross dude.

On the other hand I do think Earth/the Federation being a substantially (if not profoundly) more just society than our own is a core tenet of the Star Trek setting, and if someone cannot abide that then they should find a different setting to play in.

I will also shake my fist at the nearest cloud while yelling that Star Trek should not be about the Federation.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the one hand I don't like to lean on ~*Gene's Vision*~ too much because he also had a lot of dumb ideas and was a pretty gross dude.

On the other hand I do think Earth/the Federation being a substantially (if not profoundly) more just society than our own is a core tenet of the Star Trek setting, and if someone cannot abide that then they should find a different setting to play in.

I will also shake my fist at the nearest cloud while yelling that Star Trek should not be about the Federation.

Yeah. Star trek is supposed to be aspirational, and one of the most important parts of TNG/DS9 to me is the idea that human society as a whole has really improved and advanced philosophically and fundamentally to get past all of the internal societal conflicts about acceptance and bigotry and greed. Gene's vision is absolutely a mixed bag, but those two shows managed to hone in on the best parts without being too horny.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

there are 754 eps, 10 short treks, and 13 movies of trek released before picard. im ok if the 10 eps of picard focus a bit more on the federation itself after all of that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWHTRJ8wNaE&t=122s

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

pyrotek posted:

They've had a billion ads during football. Beyond that :shrug:

I feel like they’re marketing to the wrong audience tbh. Unless they’re arrogant enough to think that nerds will already know all the details

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Next live watch starting in 5 minutes

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
that's a very specific red alert alarm they've got there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's me reacting to Picard: hell yeah

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
This opening is like a rejected house MD intro

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
the opening credits to be clear

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Jumpin Jhatt Vash it's a gas gas gas

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It's amazing how this show so masterfully spins its wheels

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
jesus loving christ people have been talking for ten minutes and not said a single loving word

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah blahblahblahblah

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
SOMEONE ON EARTH GOT A SPACE PHONE CALL? WHAT THE gently caress? THIS IS OUT OF THE QUESTION!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
oh jesus christ

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think I hate this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Here's me reacting to Picard: hell yeah

idiot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you don't like talking and you are watching a show called Picard, that's on you

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i liked it but then i liked disco at the time of broadcast so you gotta give my trash opinions at least a side eye and perhaps a stink eye

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I have no objection to talking but this was all just the worst kind of writing. TNG did talking right by mostly having characters exploring problems, this was just technobabbling in front of a computer to pretend this is some kind of mystery show. Prior to that was extended talking about a mythical mystery organization that exists as a replacement organization for another organization we already knew about no seriously I'm gonna complain because this was not the good kind of talking

Star trek is good when the stuff they are talking about is informative not when it's just someone reading space wikipedia at you about the romulan CIA!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the mcguffen in this lovely show

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A secret android twin living in a Romulan Borg cube, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is she a data