Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah that’s like one of the main arcs of season 2 though so it does seem weird to criticise it (you can criticise the way they handwave it all away in the s3 premiere though because that was a bit meh)

Season 1 and 2 of P&R might as well be different shows. You know how we often take a UK show and do an American version? This was a time where we took a US show and made a US Version later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Has there ever been a good live action anime adaption

I have a coworker who said he liked the live action Mob Psycho 100 series.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I'm up to date with the Outsider. Really good poo poo.

I was excited to see that the Cynthia Eribo character is in another trilogy of Stephen King stories which got me super excited as I figured now that this is popular, surely HBO will do that book series.

Then I found out that that trilogy has already been made on a channel called Audience? What the hell is Audience? David E Kelly is kind of good, Brenden Gleeson is amazing. Has anyone seen this thing?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Looten Plunder posted:

I was excited to see that the Cynthia Eribo character is in another trilogy of Stephen King stories which got me super excited as I figured now that this is popular, surely HBO will do that book series.

Then I found out that that trilogy has already been made on a channel called Audience? What the hell is Audience? David E Kelly is kind of good, Brenden Gleeson is amazing. Has anyone seen this thing?

I started watching Season 1 when it finally went up for sale on Amazon video a few months ago.

It’s one of my favorite King adaptations ever, and Gleason is indeed amazing in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Season 1 and 2 of P&R might as well be different shows. You know how we often take a UK show and do an American version? This was a time where we took a US show and made a US Version later.

I agree with this (although the Parks s1 finale is pretty good), but we were talking about Community

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree with this (although the Parks s1 finale is pretty good), but we were talking about Community

Actually, that’s another show where S1 and 2 were pretty different from what came after. Though I think community was the opposite of parks and rev, and the first two seasons were the best ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Whoops!

What's odd to me about the Peirce arc's is that they never even seemed to really consider the notion of Peirce ever really becoming much better as a person, or if that's really what passes for it for them, then their bar was absurdly busted. There's a way to get funny out of some old coot with anachronistic views without pidgeonholing yourself exclusive into the live-bigotry corner. Maybe some of that had to do with Chevy himself, but why-ever it is that way, I know it makes the show a non-starter for basically every partner I've tried to show it too in the last 5 years. Fortunately, there are enough compilations of certain bits or gags that are able to be shared without much context and no Peirce-problem.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I watched the new episode of Miracle Workers and it seems like someone told them in production that they would be allowed to say "gently caress" and when it came time to air they learned they couldn't and now its bleeped.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

So I watched the new episode of Miracle Workers and it seems like someone told them in production that they would be allowed to say "gently caress" and when it came time to air they learned they couldn't and now its bleeped.

Hahaha I noticed that too.

Also I thought it was a decent start. Seems to be better than the first season, at least. Peter Serafinowicz playing a king helps a lot.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hoping for a syndication bump or something? Or could just be going the comedy central route. I don't mind a good bleep, sometimes it actually adds to the joke.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I started watching Season 1 when it finally went up for sale on Amazon video a few months ago.

I assume the second and third seasons aren't on Amazon and you haven't seen them?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Looten Plunder posted:

I assume the second and third seasons aren't on Amazon and you haven't seen them?

S2 is, I just haven’t gotten around to dropping 18 bucks on it because I’ve been watching other stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

Hoping for a syndication bump or something? Or could just be going the comedy central route. I don't mind a good bleep, sometimes it actually adds to the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs

Is for sure funnier than the uncensored one.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Looten Plunder posted:

Season 1 of Mr Mercedes was awesome, S2 a little less so. I haven't seen all of S3 yet.

Gleeson is great as expected but Holly is a scene stealer

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching this week's Joe Pera and I'm glad they brought Sarah in to the "TV show" aspect. It is just so very sweet.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Agree but I thought it was somewhat poorly received?

It was a less extreme Dredd situation, basically. Most people who saw it dug the gently caress out of it, it's just that not enough people saw it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It was a less extreme Dredd situation, basically. Most people who saw it dug the gently caress out of it, it's just that not enough people saw it.

I was very surprised by how good it was, but it had also been decades since I watched the anime

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pahuyuth posted:

Season 1 of Mr Mercedes was awesome, S2 a little less so. I haven't seen all of S3 yet.

Gleeson is great as expected but Holly is a scene stealer

Holly is great, I'm kind of amazed that King managed to capstone his long career of using developmentally disabled and neurodivergent people as plot devices with a character on the spectrum who is actually really well-realized and has a good arc and is believably capable.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Watching this week's Joe Pera and I'm glad they brought Sarah in to the "TV show" aspect. It is just so very sweet.

I'm a few episodes behind, but I really like how much my 8 year old daughter seems to appreciate this show. It's so out of left field and at the same time perfect for Adult Swim. We just finished the episode where he was hanging out while his Grandma got her hair done up. I really don't care what else he's done but I really hope his bean arch turns out great.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs

Is for sure funnier than the uncensored one.

I feel this way about South Park too. With the exception of "It Hits The Fan", it was way funnier censored.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh yeah I went though Joe Pera the other night. I didn't know it had a little story threaded throughout, I thought it was just a Nathan For You type deal

it was very nice :3:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Karl Urban Dredd is amazing.

Also, they cast a welsh corgi as Ein in the live action Bebop so maybe that will be good? :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ariza posted:

I'm a few episodes behind, but I really like how much my 8 year old daughter seems to appreciate this show. It's so out of left field and at the same time perfect for Adult Swim. We just finished the episode where he was hanging out while his Grandma got her hair done up. I really don't care what else he's done but I really hope his bean arch turns out great.

Since you are watching with a child I just want to give you a warning that there are two episodes in S2 that are incredibly sad. So watch out for that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Looks good, love the cast. Hope Simon's terminal lib brain doesn't gently caress it up.

I don't know if you've read it, but in the book, Lindbergh becomes president and sides with the Nazis because his baby didn't die, the Nazis secretly kidnapped his baby and took him to Germany and were keeping him hostage so that Lindbergh would be their puppet president. At the end all the Americans have to do is kick Lindbergh out of office and then FDR gets re-relected in an emergency election and the US goes right back to normal. So I could easily see this as serving up a too-easy Russiagate analog ready made.

I also think it's kind of funny that Zoe Kazan is in a show where the right-wing US government uses hysterical anti-communist fears to destroy the lives of dissidents.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to hand it to The Magicians for maintaining the weight of Quentin's death this far into the next season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Miracle Workers is on Amazon so we’ll see if the bleeps make it to that. I hate tv censorship so I’ll always take uncut dialog. If a joke is funnier with bleeps, then the original should take that route.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Djarum posted:

Schitt's Creek has been one of the best shows on television for the last several years. I am surprised it never got more exposure until now.

The curse of being a Canadian show. It's loving everywhere here. But I think airs in America on some weird network I've never even heard of.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zaphod42 posted:

Edge of Tomorrow, if manga counts.

All You Need is Kill is a light novel tyvm. The manga was an adaptation!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Pop TV isn’t on all cable systems and I know on Xfinity it was on the tier above the one I paid for. I can’t remember if I get it on AT&T. Maybe? But yeah, it’s an under the radar network for sure, I didn’t even know they had first run stuff.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

esperterra posted:

The curse of being a Canadian show. It's loving everywhere here. But I think airs in America on some weird network I've never even heard of.

Yeah it is on Pop. I read a interview with the Levys where they said that at one point it was going to be on ABC in the US but they wanted to make changes and take control. I am very glad they didn’t make that choice.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know if you've read it, but in the book, Lindbergh becomes president and sides with the Nazis because his baby didn't die, the Nazis secretly kidnapped his baby and took him to Germany and were keeping him hostage so that Lindbergh would be their puppet president. At the end all the Americans have to do is kick Lindbergh out of office and then FDR gets re-relected in an emergency election and the US goes right back to normal. So I could easily see this as serving up a too-easy Russiagate analog ready made.

I also think it's kind of funny that Zoe Kazan is in a show where the right-wing US government uses hysterical anti-communist fears to destroy the lives of dissidents.

lol I had no idea this was based on an alternate history book and thought it would be a dramatized historical take featuring American Jews in the early 40s. With real life Lindbergh being an America First Committee spokesman and Nazi sympathizer and FDR secretly hating his guts as a sort of historical background noise. Guess I missed the part in the trailer where Lindbergh was running for president!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The Good Place finale was real good. Got a little misty a couple times and man that is not easy for me (though my wife's graduation absolutely destroyed me) and this felt really genuine rather than manipulative. Was really nice to see them totally stick the landing. I was originally disappointed they were ending it so quickly but now I'm just glad they didn't drag it on forever before attempting an ending like this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just watched all of Don't gently caress With Cats. As a cat person, early on it was genuinely upsetting to watch, even though the full videos weren't shown :smith: Just the implication was hosed up. But then it became more about finding the sick gently caress who did it and I was glad he was brought to justice at the end.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's a goddamn travesty that Catherine O'Hara doesn't have approx 1 million awards for Schitt's Creek.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So it must get better after season 1 right?

Because I watched all of season 1 and it was extremely Only Okay

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

So it must get better after season 1 right?

Because I watched all of season 1 and it was extremely Only Okay

Schitt's Creek? I think it's good from the beginning, but it really does hit its stride toward the end of S1/during S2 imo.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

esperterra posted:

It's a goddamn travesty that Catherine O'Hara doesn't have approx 1 million awards for Schitt's Creek.

I watched this week's episode a little bit ago. The accent she uses and how she will do little hilarious things while speaking cracks me up. The cold open this week had me rolling. I don't think the role would have worked without Catherine O'Hara.

I do wish I could have seen what Abby Elliott would have done as Alexis. She is criminally underrated and has never had that breakout role.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Season finale of Evil was tonight. What a strange, baffling, delightful show.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

esperterra posted:

All You Need is Kill is a light novel tyvm. The manga was an adaptation!

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well the new Trek thread made it two weeks which is better than I thought tbh