Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah the Soul is it, although I think it's a bit smaller, my friend has one and it just doesn't seem as roomy to me. There's really no way for me to get the utility I have with an xB unless I get an SUV which I really don't want to do. I'm trying to find the newest, lowest mileage xB I can find right now and it's not easy, even the 15's (last year made) tend to have a lot of miles on them. I had a bead on one with 11k miles on it but it got sold out from under me.

I had a Soul and it just felt plasticy and didn’t get great gas mileage. The rear door is too like high for loading comfortably, to me. Lugging pelican cases of camera gear got old, fast. A hybrid Element would be the perfect car, I wish Honda still made them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

red19fire posted:

I had a Soul and it just felt plasticy and didn’t get great gas mileage.

Yeah the xB is about the same, but it's an economy car. It only gets like 22mpg city but the motor makes up for it with good power overall for a 4 cylinder, and the 4 speed auto shifts loving perfect..... probably the best automatic I've ever owned. Interior is plasticy but laid out well, I like the center mounted gauges a lot.

They're also super dependable and need hardly anything but gas and oil changes, they are little boxy tanks.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah the xB is about the same, but it's an economy car. It only gets like 22mpg city but the motor makes up for it with good power overall for a 4 cylinder, and the 4 speed auto shifts loving perfect..... probably the best automatic I've ever owned. Interior is plasticy but laid out well, I like the center mounted gauges a lot.

They're also super dependable and need hardly anything but gas and oil changes, they are little boxy tanks.

I drove a tC for 9 years with that same 2.4L that the 2nd gen xB has and it was a rock. Never gave me any grief at all.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Speaking of Toyota, they would like to know if anyone is interested in the GR Yaris:
https://twitter.com/Toyota/status/1222989238679089167?s=19

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MunchE posted:

Speaking of Toyota, they would like to know if anyone is interested in the GR Yaris:

Hello I swear I’ll buy one but as it turns out I’m a poor 17 year old white male with no purchasing power

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MunchE posted:

I hate to be the one to say this, but... yes*

*if a dual clutch is an option

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ugh yeah I mean sure but isn't that thing like super expensive? (Yeah, $36-$42k in Japan)

Could they just put some power in the new Corolla? Hell of a jump to bring in the 4wd homologation special Godzilla Yaris and ignore the rest of the lineup.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks like poo poo

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

drat, similar power to my Veloster N but smaller and lighter and AWD? would have been extremely tempting 6 months ago

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Hello I swear I’ll buy one but as it turns out I’m a poor 17 year old white male with no purchasing power

Hello I could afford to buy one but lol no.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

angryrobots posted:

Ugh yeah I mean sure but isn't that thing like super expensive? (Yeah, $36-$42k in Japan)

Could they just put some power in the new Corolla? Hell of a jump to bring in the 4wd homologation special Godzilla Yaris and ignore the rest of the lineup.

This make the IM 300 hp. Yeah sure the transmission will die every 5000 miles but whatever.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

This make the IM 300 hp. Yeah sure the transmission will die every 5000 miles but whatever.

But what about lEgENdArY tOyOtA ReLiAbiLiTy?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

But what about lEgENdArY tOyOtA ReLiAbiLiTy?

Doubt their CVT could handle 300 hp, the manual probably could, but most people aren't going to want that anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay that FiST is already sold so that sucks! Trying to find one with the seats and within driving distance is not easy.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I would sooner spend double the money on a m40zed4

OH MY GOD ITS AWFUL

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

6 speed only please!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

MunchE posted:

it's cool but like 40K? drat

almost as much as an Audi TT

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Cross post from the MZR thread, but I made my MS3 a little more livable:

I installed an Alpine iLX-W650 Android Auto head unit in my 1st gen MS3.

Pretty cool to have spotify, waze, google maps, and a few other apps available while driving. It wasn't too hard to do, but the wiring harness is a huge loving mess.

Not really obvious here, but Crutchfield sells this Metra bezel kit to fit the double din head unit into the original location. The bezel was matte or satin black plastic and I decided to try my hand at putting on some 3m 1080 gloss black vinyl wrap (Although the back side of the vinyl says 2080 so I'm wondering if I was sold a different product). It turned out alright and blends in with the HVAC and dash trim that's piano black.

I haven't driven with it yet, but I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

How the gently caress long has there been a hot hatch thread? I've been posting in the VW/Audi thread like a sucker.

2016 mk7 Golf R. Paperwork says 292hp.

Just made a year of payments. I love driving it.

Upgrades so far are better paddle shifters, european arm-rest, software stuff, and next is gonna be a set of PS4S tires

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 8, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like your Golf, I wish they didn't punch holes in the front where my plate is, looks like you got off without them butchering your bumper, though yours seems to have all sorts of covered sensor options or something in the front. I have some, but I think they are less noticeable in black.

I haven't done anything to mine at all. I told myself I would wait until i hit 1,000 miles before I consider new wheels or tires, but I think I decided to just leave it be until I actually need new tires. I do kind of wish I had R power, but 230 is enough for now, and I can do APR + if I ever get bored.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Deviant posted:

How the gently caress long has there been a hot hatch thread? I've been posting in the VW/Audi thread like a sucker.

Upgrades so far are better paddle shifters, european arm-rest, software stuff, and next is gonna be a set of PS4S tires

Golf R, the gentleman's hot hatch

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Those sensors all work, it's the park assist stuff.

The rhombus things are doors for the headlight sprayers.

We're not a front plate state so I guess that's why I got away without that. The white really grew on me with the minimal badging on the R.

That housing for the square front sensor keeps popping partially loose though

MunchE posted:

Golf R, the gentleman's hot hatch

Y'know as a kid my father drove a rabbit hatch, and even then looking at it I said "This is what an adult who wants a fun car drives."

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 8, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Deviant posted:

Those sensors all work, it's the park assist stuff.

The rhombus things are doors for the headlight sprayers.

We're not a front plate state so I guess that's why I got away without that. The white really grew on me with the minimal badging on the R.

That housing for the square front sensor keeps popping partially loose though
That makes sense, I don't have the parking assist or headlight sprayers. Didn't realize the R got all that stuff back in 2016, neat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rusty posted:

That makes sense, I don't have the parking assist or headlight sprayers. Didn't realize the R got all that stuff back in 2016, neat.

It's got a fair number of bells and whistles. Especially since I traded up from a 2010 Mazda 3. So far the 4Motion AWD is the biggest adjustment.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Front plates are a crime against humanity

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
RS is throwing misfires on 2 and 3. I'm hoping its bad gas or dirty injectors. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Did you get the head gasket recall done?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Deviant posted:

I thought Rs were all manuals. How do pedal shifters work with a manual?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dsg was absolutely an option on the R

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The mk6 was manual only, at least in the beginning.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

Did you get the head gasket recall done?

Yeah. Coolant level hasn't budged since I bought it.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Melthir posted:

Yeah. Coolant level hasn't budged since I bought it.

How many miles are on it and when was the last time it had new plugs? Ecoboost engines are real picky about the plugs and gapping and the 2.3 seems especially so. I change mine with pregapped NGK iridiums from Tune+ every 15k. I’m also running a 93 tune during winter and an e30 tune for summer.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

How many miles are on it and when was the last time it had new plugs? Ecoboost engines are real picky about the plugs and gapping and the 2.3 seems especially so. I change mine with pregapped NGK iridiums from Tune+ every 15k. I’m also running a 93 tune during winter and an e30 tune for summer.

32k. I think I'll order a set of plugs then and swap em. It cleared the code and is running fine now so maybe just some poo poo fuel.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BraveUlysses posted:

dsg was absolutely an option on the R

Morherfucker, shows what I know. I’ll have to see if I can talk the dealership into letting me drive one when we’re shopping around.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And by all accounts, it is quite a good transmission on the R, with most people saying the manual is a compromise that you make because you like the act of driving a stickshift.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

And by all accounts, it is quite a good transmission on the R, with most people saying the manual is a compromise that you make because you like the act of driving a stickshift.
Aren't the VW GTI/R manuals generally regarded to have a clutch made out of swiss cheese? My understanding with them was that if you want to add power you should probably get the DSG unless you're OK with swapping to an aftermarket clutch that makes every day leg day.

The DSG is a pretty nice transmission, certainly the best automatic I've ever driven, though I still never got comfortable with driving as hard in to a corner while downshifting as I can when I control the clutch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

You change spark plugs every 15k miles? :psyduck:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

You change spark plugs every 15k miles? :psyduck:

I know it’s overkill but it’s cheap peace of mind to ward of the dreaded LSPI.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Huge_Midget posted:

I know it’s overkill but it’s cheap peace of mind to ward of the dreaded LSPI.

Honestly, I wouldn’t want to put the aluminum threads through that much stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Wonderllama posted:

Honestly, I wouldn’t want to put the aluminum threads through that much stress.

The get torqued to 10 lb/ft. They’re just fine.

Huge_Midget fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 14, 2020