Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Leal posted:

Dwarf Fortress patch notes:
Reminds me of AC3's in-game "patch notes" for the new Animus.

Rebecca Crane posted:

- ANIMALS!!! 'nuff said.
:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I gave my adventurer a pet snail.

It's on my head for some reason.

Sadly I can't pet it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
^^^Phase one complete:

markus_cz posted:

It's that time of the year again when DF bug tracker is the most amusing part of the game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Now goblin merchants are bonding with my dog.

e. made text color more readable.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jan 30, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kennel posted:

Sadly I can't pet it.

Thats not a snail, its a slug

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the monster hunter expansion has an assignment called Happy Little Trees that awards you with a painting

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kennel posted:

Now goblin merchants are bonding with my dog.

e. made text color more readable.

:kimchi:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kennel posted:

Sadly I can't pet it.

Your good boy/girl/mollusc is sharing it's helmet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like big chains. REALLY BIG CHAINS. like in god of war 2 running over the big chain to the big horses. Or god of war 3 climbing up the big chain through the world. Or Demons souls with the big chain in the sky in the tower of latria. Please give me your memories of big chains.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh! mygod. BECKY!

Look at the size of those chains!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just decided to try out Black Mesa again now that it's finally finished. It's been long enough that I forgot some of the intro details, the one teaching you to pick up and throw stuff is pretty great compared to the famous "PICK UP THAT CAN, CITIZEN" in HL2: one of the scientists is having a toilet paper crisis in the bathroom, and your job is to pick up a new roll and toss it into the stall :haw:

In the original mod version there's an achievement for this. Its name? Brownian motion. :haw:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

oldpainless posted:

I like big chains. REALLY BIG CHAINS. like in god of war 2 running over the big chain to the big horses. Or god of war 3 climbing up the big chain through the world. Or Demons souls with the big chain in the sky in the tower of latria. Please give me your memories of big chains.

Project X Zone 2's story is all about giant chains crashing through universes. Which is mostly an excuse for Phoenix Wright to be Heihachi Mishima's lawyer when M. Bison frames him for unleashing zombies on Kamurocho.

And they're not big in the literal sense, but Astral Chain is named after a chain that's super important to the game's mechanics. That's a kind of big.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I thought Final Fantasy X had a scene where the characters grind on massive chains but it turns out they're massive steel cables. Are cables okay?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Dark Souls 2 had you run across a bigass chain in the Crown of the Iron King.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Every time you gotta go to one of the towers in Pandora's Tower you gotta walk through huge chains.

The doors for the bosses are also locked with not as huge but still big chains that you gotta break down to get open.

And, obviously, you have your own chain, that you get to aim the wiimote at enemies and yank away their body parts.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I'm playing Control and I want to thank this thread for putting it on my radar

From the brutalist architecture to the employees blind acceptance of the game's events because "it's how it's done," the game presents an uncanny portrait of work in large organizations.

Also Threshold Kids are the creepiest thing I've seen since teeth kid in Channel Zero :discourse:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

What if I told you...

...you could be the chain

:hmmyes:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I feel like in World of Final Fantasy you have to run down up massive chains, large enough so that you need to walk around the individual links...now I need to look up if my brain is making that up or not.

Edit: it's even called the Chainroad

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm playing Control and I want to thank this thread for putting it on my radar

From the brutalist architecture to the employees blind acceptance of the game's events because "it's how it's done," the game presents an uncanny portrait of work in large organizations.

Also Threshold Kids are the creepiest thing I've seen since teeth kid in Channel Zero :discourse:

Yeah Remedy kinda knocked it out of the park on Control. Also one of the best music moments in a game since first stepping foot into Mexico in Red Dead Redemption
Minor spoiler kinda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtuQRohHds

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the ashtray maze is fantastic but also something people should maybe see blind, idk if it counts as a "minor" spoiler

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, going in blind it was one of my favorite moments in a game in ages, maybe don't click on it if you intend to play the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

In God of War 2018 there's a giant chain you have to break to do some stuff that does other stuff for you to get to a different realm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flatluigi posted:

the ashtray maze is fantastic but also something people should maybe see blind, idk if it counts as a "minor" spoiler

The maze itself is not really a spoiler as you can access it way earlier. But the video posted is a spoiler for what happens when you have to go through the maze as part of the story.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah Remedy kinda knocked it out of the park on Control. Also one of the best music moments in a game since first stepping foot into Mexico in Red Dead Redemption
Minor spoiler kinda:

Wrong. This is the best musical moment in Control (also major spoiler):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqt-kCJ3QUU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Petit Gregory posted:

Wrong. This is the best musical moment in Control (also major spoiler):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqt-kCJ3QUU

I rescind my previous statement.

Edit: The dude that played Dr. Darling did an amazing job in general

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Jan 31, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’d like to express my thanks to those who added BIG CHAIN STUFF and also express my disdain toward those who participated in non BIG CHAIN STUFF

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The bigass chain tethering the continent of Zeal to the earth, and the moment when it tugs just a bit too hard, and schiiing snaps, and the entire place drops unceremoniously to the surface.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
In World of Warcraft, in Black Rock Mountain, there are a series of BIG CHAINS attached to a floating island. The first time I went in the mountain I thought "man it would be cool if you could walk on those". And you *could*, and it was even required to get to a couple dungeons and raids. That is my favorite BIG CHAIN memory.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEYyLgtInIg&t=56s

One of the biggest if not the biggest chain I've seen in video games.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEYyLgtInIg&t=56s

One of the biggest if not the biggest chain I've seen in video games.

I know it's not a popular opinion but FF8 is one of my favorites. I love the junction system, I enjoyed getting the magazines for limit breaks, the music was great, I crashed two schools together! I played it when I was 16, had just got my wisdom teeth out, it was summer, I had a boatload of free time and painkillers, just great. Stupid overwrought story and all.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Antioch posted:

I know it's not a popular opinion but FF8 is one of my favorites. I love the junction system, I enjoyed getting the magazines for limit breaks, the music was great, I crashed two schools together! I played it when I was 16, had just got my wisdom teeth out, it was summer, I had a boatload of free time and painkillers, just great. Stupid overwrought story and all.

The first time I played FF8, I didn’t enjoy it so much because I didn’t understand the junction system and had to spam summons to beat every boss. I thought Breath of Fire 3, which I got around the same time, was way better. Later I replayed FF8, understood the junction system this time, and had a blast. I still think Breath of Fire 3 is better, but that’s just because it’s an absolutely phenomenal game. FF8 is quite underrated

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John Lee posted:

The bigass chain tethering the continent of Zeal to the earth, and the moment when it tugs just a bit too hard, and schiiing snaps, and the entire place drops unceremoniously to the surface.

Impossible, you can never break the chain.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Elder Scrolls Online is all about big chains appearing everywhere to drag the world around. You can be out in the world adventuring when BOOM, the sky opens and there's a big clatter clatter CLANK of a pleasingly big and crunchy sounding chain slamming into the ground and you have to go snap and crack and break it all with a cling clang clonk

also: oldchainless

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like when games have a sense of scale in general, like the Train 'graveyard in World of Final Fantasy. The world is made up of tiered islands representing different areas in the games, and at the top of the train graveyard, which is multiple stories tall, you actually see the bottom of the ocean of the island above it. No other area in the game lets you almost touch the sky in that way.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Setting the menu android free only really works once from a gameplay perspective, and her absence detracts from future playthroughs because of the way she comments on your decisions throughout. Seeing as there are wildly-branching paths encouraging multiple playthroughs, having an option to put her back was the right call.
This belongs in the "things dragging the game down" sorta - I played through the entire game without ever encountering Chloe except the first boot, because I always use the PS4 sleep/suspend mode. I bet it would have been cool to have her comment on your actions in the previous chapter or so :sigh:
I loved Detroid: Become Human and thought it was far better than Cage's previous games, which I had played through (except Omikron: Nomad Soul - I got stuck on some puzzle and this was in the days when I didn't have internet to look it up). The sheer amount of different actual branching paths (as compared to a Telltale game) was just mind blowing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sonic CD opens with an animated scene of him running up a big chain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYW7-hNXZlM

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like when games have a sense of scale in general, like the Train 'graveyard in World of Final Fantasy. The world is made up of tiered islands representing different areas in the games, and at the top of the train graveyard, which is multiple stories tall, you actually see the bottom of the ocean of the island above it. No other area in the game lets you almost touch the sky in that way.

God of War 2 had my favorite sense of scale in a game, the first boss is the literal Colossus of Rhodes that you end up stabbing his eye out, tearing your way inside using the blade of olympus, fighting half a level in him, before tearing the machinery keeping him moving and then jumping out and taunting the gods.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Lee posted:

Wait, wasn't the chained floating island Mt Woe? And speaking of, Mt Woe is good if you like giant chains. The entire area is chained together on chains large enough that you use them to access the different maps, and it gives the feeling that the entire thing would fall apart if it wasn't for the chains.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Randalor posted:

Wait, wasn't the chained floating island Mt Woe? And speaking of, Mt Woe is good if you like giant chains. The entire area is chained together on chains large enough that you use them to access the different maps, and it gives the feeling that the entire thing would fall apart if it wasn't for the chains.

Yeah, Zeal floated unsupported. Mt. Woe was on a giant chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also, from what I hear there's an entire series of videogames with a guy named Link. Gotta be lots of chains in those.