Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The_Doctor posted:

I’m intrigued by Fantasy Island in a couple of weeks.

I wasn't thinking much of it until I saw the trailer that played before Underwater. I'll likely go see it when the time comes.

And Gretel and Hansel sold pretty well tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is G&H any good?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you're in the UK, HMV are doing a 2 for £15 sale on 88 Films BDs. Giallo, video nasties and exploitation flicks as far as the eye can see. Any stand-outs in there that people might not know of?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The_Doctor posted:

Is G&H any good?

I didn't have a chance to sneak in to peek, but no one came out complaining about it like with some films.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The_Doctor posted:

Is G&H any good?

I’m going to see it at noon today. I’ll post a thing later.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

david_a posted:

Has there been official confirmation that Tony Todd isn’t playing Candyman again? From what I can tell he was, he wasn’t, but now he is. The Wikipedia page currently lists him in the role.

I think the confusion is because a different actor is playing young Candyman in a flashback or something.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Rue Morgue’s review of Gretel and Hansel was positive, I think I’ll check it out this weekend. Oz Perkins hasn’t let me down so far.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Charlie Kaufman's I'm Thinking of Ending Things comes out in the next month or two on Netflix, and I can't wait to see what he does with a horror film. Probably my most anticipated film of the year.

Oh poo poo I didn't realize that was a Charlie Kaufman film, I'm more excited about it now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

G&H getting the reviews you'd expect for a wide release Oz Perkins. "It's beautiful and scary but very slow etc."

I imagine most of us here will like it, based on that.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
After watching Richard Stanley give Baskin a recommendation I decided to give it as spin and and it goddamn floored me.

Its a Turkish mix of Event Horizon and Hellraiser, with zero jump scares and zero cgi effects. Its a dark, gritty video nasty that America doesn't seem to make anymore.

I cannot wait to watch it again this October.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

After watching Richard Stanley give Baskin a recommendation I decided to give it as spin and and it goddamn floored me.

Its a Turkish mix of Event Horizon and Hellraiser, with zero jump scares and zero cgi effects. Its a dark, gritty video nasty that America doesn't seem to make anymore.

I cannot wait to watch it again this October.

Baskin rules. His second film, Housewife, is kind of bad but also amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought there was a very Lynchian quality to some of the scenes in Baskin. They contrasted really well with the ugly grittiness of the rest of the film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

If it's a direct sequel to Candyman then it should feature Virginia Madsen

:colbert:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I thought there was a very Lynchian quality to some of the scenes in Baskin. They contrasted really well with the ugly grittiness of the rest of the film.

Agreed. The dreamlike diner scenes were especially cool. I kind of wish it didn't end the way it did though, with the spooky infinite time loop thing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hollismason posted:

If it's a direct sequel to Candyman then it should feature Virginia Madsen

hell yeah

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I start to groan at timeloop stuff these days. There is just so much of it.

Also Bliss does in fact own. What a ride it was.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Triangle is the only really great timeloop horror film imo.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Triangle is the only really great timeloop horror film imo.

I remember liking Timecrimes a lot, although it's been probably a decade since I saw it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i give bliss credit bc its a 100% accurate depiction of what its like to be completely strung out but it bored me to tears so much i couldnt finish it and im the dude who will watch 144p olaf ittenbach movies on youtube

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Gretel and Hansel was messy. It's great visually. You could screen cap just about any scene in the movie and frame it. The architecture and design of the witch's house is awesome and surreal. I also enjoyed the soundtrack, which was unexpectedly synth-driven. But there were a lot of things that just didn't work for me.

The dialogue seemed to shift between an older, fairy tale style and a more modern style, sometimes within the same scene.

I didn't think Alice Krige brought much to the role of the witch. I know everyone was pretty excited about that casting, but it was a pretty flat performance :geno:

The movie suffers from bad kid acting. The kid who plays Hansel is downright painful at times.

The pacing was very leisurely for an hour and twenty minutes and then things conclude very quickly. Nothing about the conclusion feels earned. It felt rushed.

It's a 5/10 for me, but keep in mind that I'm a pretty picky movie watcher.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

If it's a direct sequel to Highlander II: The Quickening then it should feature Virginia Madsen

hell yeah

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Agreed. The dreamlike diner scenes were especially cool. I kind of wish it didn't end the way it did though, with the spooky infinite time loop thing

Well according to the director the movie is about these characters being in hell so that ending makes sense in that context.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

hell yeah

Sir this is a

*Check notes *

Thread for discussing spider penises?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm still thinking about The Greasy Strangler, and specifically the scene in which Robbie and Brayden murder Janet in a cinema, and then eat her eyes. The location really seems like an obvious hint that she is a proxy for the audience, and that consuming her eyes is the filmmakers consuming our attention. Is she an audience surrogate throughout the entire film, though?

The majority of the film revolves around Robbie and Brayden attempting to seduce Janet (the audience), and hold her affection. Brayden attempts this by being open, kind, and loving, but ultimately boring. Robbie on the other hand is awful at every level, he's a selfish, lying, greased-up serial killer, but he's interesting! Robbie is a smoothie when it comes to gaining Janet and the audience's attention. It is then only when Brayden decides to investigate the murders, and ultimately kill Robbie, that Janet returns to him. He becomes interesting only by embracing the negative qualities of his father, and ultimately by becoming another greasy strangler.

After murdering Janet the father and son reconcile, and say something to the effect of "Janet was gross". Is the whole film then just a meditation on all of the awful poo poo you have to do to get the audience's attention, and the sense of hollowness that comes from appeasing "gross" people?

Lurdiak posted:

Well according to the director the movie is about these characters being in hell so that ending makes sense in that context.

I definitely get that. It makes sense. I just wish it was different, it didn't feel completely satisfying, you know? But it's not a deal breaker for me

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 31, 2020

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
One of Harvey Weinstein’s accusers, Jessica Mann is claiming his dick is 'deformed'.
“The first time I saw him fully naked, I felt, I thought he was deformed and intersex,”
“He has extreme scarring that I didn’t know if maybe he was a burn victim. He does not have testicles and it appears like he has a vagina.”
I’ve been saying it for years now, but can we finally start calling “The Burning” autobiographical?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The Greasy Strangler

I think there's something to that idea of courting and consumption, especially considering the movie they see is called "The Horror House" which, with their drawl, sounds a lot like "the whore house".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSun6890 posted:

One of Harvey Weinstein’s accusers, Jessica Mann is claiming his dick is 'deformed'.
“The first time I saw him fully naked, I felt, I thought he was deformed and intersex,”
“He has extreme scarring that I didn’t know if maybe he was a burn victim. He does not have testicles and it appears like he has a vagina.”
I’ve been saying it for years now, but can we finally start calling “The Burning” autobiographical?

Wait wha-

Oh my God he wrote the Burning

That explains and raises so many questions

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ehud posted:

Gretel and Hansel was messy. It's great visually. You could screen cap just about any scene in the movie and frame it. The architecture and design of the witch's house is awesome and surreal. I also enjoyed the soundtrack, which was unexpectedly synth-driven. But there were a lot of things that just didn't work for me.

I'll agree with this mostly, and I definitely enjoyed it. The look seemed to go for something '70s Hammer-esque with the lighting, and the 'sock over the lens' style nighttime. At no point did it feel like a horror film, more just that things were slightly off-kilter. Soundtrack synths were very good.

The witch's cottage looked incredibly modern, which threw me a bit. But on the other hand, it made some of the imagery work astoundingly well. And as you say, it's visually stunning.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gretel and Hansel is okay. It looks amazing, it sounds amazing, but the story is just okay. Which is fine, I guess, sometimes you just want something that looks really good and has a nice dream like quality. I still sort of wish it was built on something a little more though.

I still recommend seeing it though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

G&H talk:

I fully expected The Huntsman to come back at some point?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Gretel and Hansel is okay. It looks amazing, it sounds amazing, but the story is just okay. Which is fine, I guess, sometimes you just want something that looks really good and has a nice dream like quality. I still sort of wish it was built on something a little more though.

I still recommend seeing it though.
Yeah, I saw it tonight and it really looks oddly great for a movie of this caliber.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Brightburn was a bit of a surprise. glad they went as all-out in the violence and the michael rooker scene in the end credits.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

alf_pogs posted:

Brightburn was a bit of a surprise. glad they went as all-out in the violence and the michael rooker scene in the end credits.

Yeah, Brightburn was better than I expected. It got beat up pretty bad on release but I think a large part of that was just everyone's exhaustion with the superhero genre.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Superman fans are really defensive of anything satirizing the character, and Snyder fans took the movie as a personal attack on man of steel, so there was a lot of bad faith reviewing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
https://twitter.com/shudder/status/1223631791510183942?s=21

Lots of good stuff coming to Shudder this month. Wendigo is a good one that I haven’t thought about in a while. Night of the Comet and RotLD III are both super fun too. And I was just thinking about rewatching Dog Soldiers when werewolves came up the other day!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Prom Night II, 3 From Hell, and Dog Soldiers? gently caress YES

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Had a dream that the TCM2 batch of Sawyers, the Papa Jupiter clan, and the Fireflys met up... and just started passive-aggressively sniping at each other over their similarities.

e: What would the opposite of an evil bong be? Holy rolling papers?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Blessed syringe

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Me and my roommate just watched Return of the Living Dead 3 on Tubi. I used to love renting that movie back in the day, some of the fx are pretty dated (the Mexican gang members are pretty silly, and the zombie with the exposed spine was too ambitious for their budget), but the story is still solid and I really like the two leads.

I wish they added Prom Night III along with Prom Night II. PMII has some great fx work (the blackboard scene and the locker scene immediately come to mind), and I’ve never seen PMIII despite having one of my favorite vhs boxes of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For those that have Shudder, definitely don't miss the opportunity to check out Night of the Comet. More people need to see that.