Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Plowed through this thread in a couple of weeks, and had a good, relaxing time doing so. I've been telling my wife that I want to plant some more than just my precious buckthorn and strawberry in our garden every time I've finished a sitting, and bah gawd come spring I'm gonna!

Thank you for sharing and get well/better soon! Looking forward to following along in future :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Mzuri posted:

Plowed through this thread in a couple of weeks, and had a good, relaxing time doing so. I've been telling my wife that I want to plant some more than just my precious buckthorn and strawberry in our garden every time I've finished a sitting, and bah gawd come spring I'm gonna!

Thank you for sharing and get well/better soon! Looking forward to following along in future :)

Glad you enjoyed :)

And yes, plants in ground. Everywhere. Not just in a garden. Plants. All over the loving place. Trees. Bushes. Shrubs. Moss. Whatever. gently caress permission. Just do it.

the five acres super happy holiday special

Happy seasonal based cultural festivities, constant reader!

In opposition to my established traditions (drunk, die hard, dinner) I have been dragged away over xmas for a holiday with the in-laws, but I got down to the acres twice in the last week before I left, mainly to refill the feeders, catch my breath and appreciate things

Which was wise because look at how these feeders looked

Much better

I missed getting a nice shot of a muntjac having a drink by about half a second, but here's the pond. Other nature spots that also didn't get a photo were a buzzard and both a green woodpecker and great spotted one (very pretty, look one up)

I planted an olive and a cherry plum tree too. The olive is one of the hardier varieties but still needs some protection so it was planted close to a line of trees to its north to cut out the worst of the winter wind. The cherry plum is apparently quite tough in comparison- I hope so!

Disturbed this false widow while moving my soil around and spent a few minutes gingerly scooping it up and putting it under the caravan. Arachnophobia battling my manners.

Probably not going to have time to plant these two fig trees before the ground freezes up fully so I shifted them beside the caravan and under makeshift pallet cover- they probably would have survived as they were but this arrangement will keep the worst of the snow and rain off them for a spring planting- they will need a similar position to the olives, full sun but protected from the north

That leaves a bunch of strawberry plants and 2 or 3 primrose hidden under here- I considered clearing the weeds and leaves out but the overgrowth will provide a bit of cover and mulch over the cold stretch and I have a nice sunny spot for them all come spring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtcj_xeTUY

Some more birdfeeder videos finished uploading- I’m working on something a bit more topical/informative but it’s more of a challenge in terms of planning and editing and being able to speak without going through three different accents per sentence

Someone dropped these chocolate coated raisins, probably because they tasted bad. Waste not want not though, eh?

Hope the season finds you and yours well- more soon

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Merry Christmas, Dan. Hope you have a good one!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

Glad you enjoyed :)

And yes, plants in ground. Everywhere. Not just in a garden. Plants. All over the loving place. Trees. Bushes. Shrubs. Moss. Whatever. gently caress permission. Just do it.

the five acres super happy holiday special

Happy seasonal based cultural festivities, constant reader!

Nice gaff.

The best of festive health to you and yours too.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Merry Christmas, Dan!

That pond is lookin' sweet these days.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Happy Hanukkah Dan, thanks for keeping up one of the best threads on these forums two years in a row. Have a lovely holiday, take it easy!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Those birds are so happy! That’s lovely and cheerful.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Thanks so much all- you all make it feel very worth it, and once again, happy holidays, merry christmas and chag sameach

spookygonk posted:

Nice gaff.

I feel a little out of place here to be honest (I live in a poo poo area of a poo poo town and despite moving around a lot that's always been the case), but it certainly makes for a nice break

It's a 16th century house and full of old stuff I'm scared I will break, all the doorways are about a foot too low for me to fit through and some rooms my shoulders touch the ceiling let alone my fat heid

I'm not religious but this was lovely to sit with and flick through- it saw a lot of use once.

But this was the real treat- this is from somewhere around 1760 and the smell and feel of the paper is just loving gorgeous and I feel like I should be touching this with white gloves under supervision of a curator with pursed lips and a disapproving look and the set is complete

There's the ruins of an abbey that henry the 3.5 grams "reformed" nearby and I will probably go poke round that soon.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Those birds are so happy! That’s lovely and cheerful.

Oh, so you like that do you :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdawZhRdDKM

Well this one should be up in 4k now :)

But for now, it's time to get the funk out. More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 24, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

chag sameach

:jewish: :swoon:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maximum respect to both the local jewish community and the kosher pickle selections they nurture and protect

:love: Mrs Elswood 4lyfe :love:

13 hours in December

Every picture tells a tale

Long story short, I got stranded on the way home from holiday, RAC are poo poo, and paying attention to an oil pressure warning and my paranoia saved my engine, at the cost of sitting around for 13 hours because holy poo poo RAC are loving bad. But I'm finally home and back on the road and hoping to get one last visit of the year in tomorrow. More soon!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I don't even know why kosher pickles are so different from regular pickles but people seem to loving love them. Personally, I can't tell the difference.

RAC being poo poo is bad, but at least it's better than not having anything to help you while it broke down, I guess?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So that's simply not a dropped latte?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Miftan posted:

I don't even know why kosher pickles are so different from regular pickles but people seem to loving love them. Personally, I can't tell the difference.

RAC being poo poo is bad, but at least it's better than not having anything to help you while it broke down, I guess?

Something to do with the texture imo

And the rac tale has many facets like them trying to get me to drive it another ten miles to a garage but yes, it was still marginally better than no roadside assistance at all

spookygonk posted:

So that's simply not a dropped latte?

Sometimes a dropped coffee is just a dropped coffee

auld land syne

Not even really enough for an update but it's the last visit of the year so I'm not rolling it into a larger post because reasons

Loaded the birdfeeders and did a bit of filming. Need to go buy some more exotic foods but I'm sure the fatballs and generic seed will still get eaten.

A dead tree has half fallen over and will require some work in the new year but energy levels said fuckit for today.

I also sat and did some microphone tests for some youtube stuff- now to learn sound editing. More soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

ain't got time to bleed

It's quite possible that more of me exists in vials of blood sitting in labs than is sat posting this message, though getting on first name terms with the phlebotomy staff has been nice

Been twice this week

I fed the birds both times, it's a hungry time of year

They seem to appreciate it

Despite lots of rain in-between visits, the water level didn't seem to change at all, the ditches further downhill are full now

I saw and admired various cats at a respectful distance

Bamboo that I forgot I planted is doing nicely

Deer have been around a lot recently

Beating on some of my trees they are

Eating my grass too, and sleeping in it

The weatherproof padlock isn't weatherproof and requires constant oiling just so it can puke out this mess and need oiling again but I'm too cheap to buy a new one and that's how I like it

Applied some sealant to caravan door gaps but really need to cover the roof with a big tarp as damp is getting significant. Also pretty filled with rubbish etc and needs a tidy

A vole or mole hole fills a role at the end of my stroll, shaped like a bowl from seoul, it stole my soul

Hope this finds you well, we will be meeting a fantastic new friend on friday I hope! More soon!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

Despite lots of rain in-between visits, the water level didn't seem to change at all, the ditches further downhill are full now.
That's a proper pond now.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Those free-loading deer! :argh:

How many species of birds have to stick it out for the winter?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

That's a proper pond now.

It might be even pondlier now

When I hopefully dig it out more in the summer I might add some kind of depth gauge marker in the form of a stick possibly with some kind of marker painted on

xcheopis posted:

Those free-loading deer! :argh:

How many species of birds have to stick it out for the winter?

All of the current regulars are birds that tend to stick here the whole time, though hopefully with some tray feeders we might see the various migratory types- some come from colder climates to overwinter, others go off to warmer places

a series of cutting remarks

Good to have a morning actually hit minus temperatures gently caress climate change gently caress shock doctrine capitalism gently caress people who don't clear the loving ice off their loving cars gently caress the tories and gently caress people who skip queues

Of course down here my temper is soothed somewhat by the serene circumstances

Especially as we have some new guests, comrades

Meet our good friend makita reciprocating saw

Comrade Saw quickly identified a traitorous seat in our midst and dispensed the people's justice to ensure the security and stability of the people's arse from revisionist counter-revolutionary structural failure

The other new arrival will monitor the motherland

Spying on the bourgeois deer with a steely and ever vigilant eye to the lines of supply they have established from the old enemy, the west

I did the bird feeders and got some footage and I'm fairly sure I captured a great spotted woodpecker having a feed, got a few sessions worth of footage at the moment but spare time is short

Then I went off and cut two barrows worth of wood from a half dead tree and I probably need a hard hat in the future but holy gently caress this saw just murders wood in a short amount of time, this thing is gonna save a lot of labour

So I was stacking the people's wood away in the little wood shack thing

And then the light hit the tarp a bit and some neurons that hadn't fired in a long time went haywire resulting in a strong flashback to a toilet in a dodgy club in Bradford around 1998 where I learned a lot of things, about a lot of things, in a very short amount of time

A good trip, and hopefully some more soon

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 18, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Fantastic post as usual. That reciprosaw though, watch out when it gets dull; it's hard to tell before you bend the gently caress out of it like I did.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I thought of something.

You got any rowans there and is the soil suited for 'em?

It's a fairly versatile tree and good for the birds.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Holy poo poo, that post was sensational.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Apparently invasive muntjac is some good eating

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Fantastic post as usual. That reciprosaw though, watch out when it gets dull; it's hard to tell before you bend the gently caress out of it like I did.

Thanks- will try and keep an eye on it, the bosch blade I had on it still seemed razor like but it's only had about 40 minutes so far. And I bent it a little bit. Just a squidge.

endlessmonotony posted:

I thought of something.

You got any rowans there and is the soil suited for 'em?

It's a fairly versatile tree and good for the birds.

There's rowans locally but I don't think I have one- the northern field might still hold one- soil should be no issue.

That's clearly not good enough for my birbs, and I have added a few to my shopping basket- I'm making a purchase from an excellent supplier soon :)

If anyone else has a suggestion I'm all ears

TheMightyHandful posted:

Holy poo poo, that post was sensational.

:cheers:

I try

number 1 snake fan posted:

Apparently invasive muntjac is some good eating

I'm partial to a bit of venison but they are normally tiny little things

That and right now I don't mind them eating fruit because they will wander around and poop seeds in places

this post is garbage

Time to put in a little work

In the climate justice militia, pond based offenses are considered especially heinous. In the Five Acres, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the poo poo Posting Unit. These are their stories.:doink:

A murder scene without a body.

Stuff. The tarp is a fancy one which is a novelty to me who is used to cheap ones. It is heavy. It has reinforced corners and edges. It claims to be waterproof and might actually be so. We shall see.

These bad.

This better. Did some more bird recording from a few angles

Bodged this together to let me film from trees a bit easier, but the phone was then all full up and it ate the footage from that position :( will see if I can rescue it.

Well our comrade is still there providing steely eyed surveillance from the people's hacked up bit of poplar

Full card, empty batteries. Gonna have to wait on a modern sd card reader (seriously, I think my current one was made to also accept cuneiform tablets) to see what's on it, and start getting the camera settings nailed down but I'm a bit sad the 8 AA's have already been rinsed out. There's a 6V input I might be able to play with with a solar panel and battery rig, will think on it.

The main job of the day was clearing out the caravan which had a shameful amount of waste just laying around the place because the floor was my bin, it gave me a good chance to do inventory on bird supplies- need to bring in some more seed and more mealworms, but the fat balls are just fine

2 bags of rubbish hauled out. The original aim of the day was to put a big waterproof tarp over the roof of the caravan but my big reel of rope didn't show in time, but I'm glad to have tidied up a bit, saving and overhauling the caravan should be codified more exactly in the five year plan that's about to go before the people's assembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwRrzJICHNo

Of the 4 sections of footage I got last time, 2 were useless due to sound/brightness/angle but what I did get worked out and the above video has my first footage of a spotted woodpecker. Still working on some other material, time is short and learning video editing is hard

So Tuesday I'm planning on getting the nice big tarp installed on the roof, because it really needs some water ingress reduction and happily this showed up while I was out. It's not proper paracord but it will be fine for what I need it for. Should be able to put the trail camera back up on the same visit, and I'm debating keeping it on a deer track or trying for fox/badger activity.

I'm still getting my arse kicked by whatever but Wednesday the doctors are sticking a massive needle into me and stealing part of my liver to see what's up with it, cause my latest blood tests say number go up!. Fun! More soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

It's a tarp!

Once more unto the breach etc

Brought in the stuff

Observed with close attention today

Small inconvenient ponds developing on pathways

You should be more like this pond- where I want it, when I want it and just wet enough

Stocked up my bird feed and topped off the feeders

Sadly it was too windy to put up the tarp, especially on my own

So I don't know why I am putting cord on the corners

Oh gently caress what, no, fucks sake you don't want to spend your day fighting a 3x5 metre sail with wind doing twenty five mph gusts, solo

It will take you close to two hours and being defeated entirely twice before you even manage to just get 4 corners done

It won't leave time for cooking and you will be raiding your bag for snacks hungrily between running back and forth to rescue bits

You will piss away that whole hundred metre reel of cord

And while it would be nice to power through and get it done anyway, you will end up sliding around in mud and grime and it's -2C with the windchill, just go home and have a nice hot chocolate under a blanket

Ain't loving around today :colbert: Well. Other than the times I had to chase a tarp down. That probably looked like a lot of loving around, to be honest.

Trying out the trail camera with some high capacity rechargeable batteries. The footage I got before was good quality but sadly due to being set too sensitively and various other bits meant that all the camera did was pretty much just run constantly from the time I turned it on and captured nothing of interest.

I did some testing at home and even on low settings foliage moving in the wind would trigger it, so I have moved it to give hopefully a clear line of sight- should be a fair few deer moving through here, and the other various settings should hopefully allow a few days worth of captures.

After that I was quickly running out of light so I packed for home and fired up the old beast

Venus and a cresent moon. Tomorrow I get stabbed in the liver, and then hopefully I can start moving forward health wise- I have detailed plans for this year. More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 28, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Best wishes for your liver stabbing, Dan!

I plowed through this whole thread in one sitting while bed-ridden, and it was incredibly soothing. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Does black kitty have a name (either official or one you call him)?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Surgical procedure or just knife & fork jobbie?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Best wishes for your liver stabbing, Dan!

I plowed through this whole thread in one sitting while bed-ridden, and it was incredibly soothing. Thank you for sharing it with us.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Does black kitty have a name (either official or one you call him)?

I had to have a glance back through the thread but couldn't see it- the neighbor has a name for both field cats but I can't remember either and it's "the black one" and "the tortoiseshell one" to me. I have started leaving a dish of dry cat food (in a place away from my birbs) so we will see if relations can be improved

spookygonk posted:

Surgical procedure or just knife & fork jobbie?

I made more than one attempt at jokes on that meme during the procedure but I don't think the doctor was into it. Or was he just nervous that I was onto his little chianti and lima bean loving ways...

It was a liver biopsy which was a success in that they got some tasty liver chunks out of me to analyse taste but the process was unusually painful and required a few attempts to get done so I'm definitely following the weeks recommended rest because drat that sucked, ow.

But after that I will be rejoining the fight in earnest- I'm looking at a shopping basket of ~20 assorted trees and about as many bushes that I'm very excited about- just waiting to hear back from them about availability and delivery timescale. Spring will be busy- more soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 31, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Glad to hear it went well. Make sure you get a decent amount of rest and I hope you feel better soon!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Miftan posted:

Glad to hear it went well. Make sure you get a decent amount of rest and I hope you feel better soon!

Here's hoping whatever is going on is easy to fix.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Glad it went ok (if painful!). Make sure you get that rest before you start lugging all the vegetation into place!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Niric posted:

Glad it went ok (if painful!). Make sure you get that rest before you start lugging all the vegetation into place!

xcheopis posted:

Here's hoping whatever is going on is easy to fix.

Miftan posted:

Thankyou all, I think I'm doing okay at the moment and hope you are all well-

so I guess this is the more, after a lack of the soon

Preface

-Our antihero has been in recovery, and then was quite busy recovering from a severe case of watching too many seasons of "the sopranos" while in recovery- but has also been busy doing more things to recover from, which we shall examine in this work-

*sounds of a terrible italian american accent are heard in the distance*

-poo poo, he's relapsed again-

act I- first blood part xii

This visit was mainly to make sure the tarp was still there (very much so) and refill the feeders but I brought in some posher meal worms too.

A week and a day without top up and the birbs were in full riot mode

Can't blame them really the service has been atrocious lately

Better. Did filming too, as phone mount shows.

Swapped out the trailcam batteries, the tree I mounted it to swayed too much in the wind and set off the camera permanently- another wasted shoot which was a pain, but lesson learned, and I strapped it to a bigger tree this time.

Lots of deer traffic around

This marked the end of the week long, post-biopsy, don't do the things phase and it was nice to be out and about.

act II- the oncoming storm

This visit was a brief trip a few days later to add some reinforcement to the caravan tarp due to oncoming storm Ciara which predicts some pretty nasty sustained wind speeds

It was raining a bit when I arrived, black cat looked on me fondly but remained in the one of the caravan/cat shelters on the neighbors land.

The tarp is pretty drat waterproof seeming though, dry on the underside.

blah blah bird feeders blah video blah blah

I put cord all the way around the caravan, threading it through the legs/frame underneath and eyelets on the tarp, making two bands that allow a bit of movement but will otherwise prevent billowing movements in the wind and help hold the shape of the tarp downward.

Swapped the 4 old batteries out but the sd card to swap in was still full and the camera was being a poo poo and refusing to format it and somewhere in stupidity/frustration I wiped the fresh and half full card of largely unchecked footage that undoubtedly had bigfoot and lord lucan having an emotional breakup. gently caress. Lesson learned, format the buggers at home next time.

Mounted it on the bench, and put out some more cat food under that table there. Mussed with the settings a bit and hopefully it's doing a timelapse at the same time as going off normally

Maybe next time I will point it at the pond

Oh, some little loving beast came in and gnawed the bark off large parts of my fig trees. Ungrateful. Rude. Selfish.

It was a very photogenic day once the rain hosed off

act III- The China Boat

I bought parts- a small solar panel, a charge controller and a low voltage cut off circuit

While I was waiting for them I sorted a pile of crap from the parts bin including a nice case/project box, volt meter, a thermometer, a pulse width modulator, a fuse holder, another pulse width modulator I already built into a box with a switch and a superfluous indicator light, some led lights, a 12V to 5V buck and some switches and we got ourselves the making of a thing

Pulse width modulators reduce voltage by cutting it up into little chunks and just not sending some. Or something. Anyway they provide variable power to things with much less waste than variable resistors, and less power is good here.

Things like an old pc case fan here, only draws 0.17 amps at full, and will run happily on the PWM- so I can dial down the amount it needs to run right down to a little under 6V before it starts having trouble running.

Here's a partial diagram- (it misses the low voltage cut off, which will go between the fuse and the appliances). It's job is to stop the battery running too low on charge (once it goes below x volts it stops before it recharges to at least y volts, and I have a few settings for each) and let me run a fan safely, all the other bits are just perks.

Waiting on another switch but otherwise it's ready to build. Got an eye out for a better battery than the old car one too, but for the job of mainly running a pc fan for a ventilator fan it's fine for now.

act IV- Wherein we spend money on plants

I went a bit mad and ordered the following-

-2 Cornelian cherry trees
-2 Myrobalan plum trees
-2 Elderberry trees
-2 Japanese quince
-3 Crab apple trees
-4 Berberis bushes
-4 Cotoneaster bushes
-3 Rowan trees
-5 Assorted trees from a native tree collection
-20 assorted hedgerow plants

About half of them are transplants that will require a bit of work and care but the other half are pot grown and hardy, ready to transport down there. But no fear, I expect they will be a few days before delivery, and my manic impulse of “just buy the loving plants its cool, do it, now, c'mon son” surely won't come back to bite me!

act V wherein it comes back to bite me

Well, they came the next afternoon with me quite unprepared, but a monolith turns up and you gotta worship it I guess

Some of them are a bit smaller than advertised and many are coming as transplants rather than cell grown plants but they informed me beforehand, but the plants seem very healthy at leaat. Ideally I would be dealing with this ASAP, but the timespan and lack of the secret root fungus ingredient held me back till the next day- the bare root plants were packed in wet straw and will survive awhile in a box while still dormant- but everything is starting to wake up.

I only got to sorting the bare root plants as night was closing in and didn't want to leave them packaged any longer so there's not much in the way of pictures- I soaked the roots for 30 minutes or so, then treated with the weird root fungus stuff, then placed them in layers of wet straw and topsoil.

night mode on this camera is baller

Ideally they would be planted straight away, but this buys me some time to assess them all and decide whether to plant them up individually in pots or take over to the acres for direct planting.

Of the potted plants only the cotoneasters are looking of a good size to go to the acres immediately, so the berberis, elderberry and quince are getting a repot and stay on deck to buff up a bit- which means existing plants have to come off my deck before it collapses.

act VI- Mon centre cède, ma droite recule, situation excellente, j'attaque.

Early morning starts are growing on me. Provided coffee is within system.

Took my long legs today, they go all the way up. Cat was suitably entertained.

This visit was to assess the damage from storm Ciara and prepares for storm Dennis while simultaneously dealing with storm Toomanyfuckinplants.

So the tarp survived and seemingly entirely unaffected, which is rather nice

Er, the bench went over again but he never could take his liquor

loving trailcam is meant to be waterproof, it's probably going directly back to the cult of bezos and we can try something else because it's been constant lovely luck with this one.

Some fallen trees and deadfall to take care of, but we can let storm Dennis have a crack first.

So my main worry regards getting my new plants sorted was a lack of plant pots so I went and planted up a dozen pots worth of strawberry plants into a very rough patch, and accompanied them with two primroses. Rough job, but most of the pots had several plants each, and they are known for being double hard bastards that can maybe survive the efforts of the digging bastards to murder them. We salute them and wish them well!

Freed up and hunted out a good few pounds worth of pots for re-use

Down to the remaining fig and a currant bush that might be alive and I had lost entirely under leaves and bramble

Water level is very close to the surface at the moment, as the ditch especially shows

Pond is within a few inches of lizard hotel

Despite moving the fig, it was found and murdered more. RIP figgie, we barely knew ye :smith:

Also an olive tree has been savaged, and the other one nibbled on. Fucks sake, what even eats olive trees like that?

Is this where my olive leaves went? loving gastronomically perverted deer?

I don't even know what the creature that did this was, what they had been eating or what inspired them to squat it out on my loving table but I must recognise clear devotion towards pooping style here

Bird feeders were a bit askew

Caravan continues to dry up some, so I refilled the dehumidifiers

A nice day, wish I had more time, but I had to deal with the plant invasion so

it was time to hit the road again

To buy various supplies and get nagged at by a b&q employee for overloading a trolley- in my defence it was already bent and it was like that when I found it and who's to say someone else didn't do it this is clear discrimination

act VII- the future is now

At the time of writing I still don't have the full results of the biopsy- but from what I can tell it appears to have come back normal and I'm being sent back to the previous doctor for other routes of investigation- I'm not feeling too bad at the moment and I'm planning on getting some longer trips done, and I have been drawing up some revised plans of action for a little while. I won't bore on excessively with details, but its focused on working at tasks listed in three broad categories, using more planning and prep to make better use of each visit- things should progress quite well, provided I'm not dead lol

More soon!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Big update! Very cool stuff, shame about your lovely trailcam and lightweight bench, but everything looks gorgeous.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah, what he said and stuff.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Still my favourite thread but Jesus gently caress I can't imagine the pain of a liver biopsy. All power to you Dan.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Miftan posted:

Big update! Very cool stuff, shame about your lovely trailcam and lightweight bench, but everything looks gorgeous.

xcheopis posted:

Yeah, what he said and stuff.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Still my favourite thread but Jesus gently caress I can't imagine the pain of a liver biopsy. All power to you Dan.

9/10 times they only cause some discomfort, the level of pain I had was rare- the worst part was having to hold perfectly still- not even breathe while it went through, but that's rare and I would still rather deal with that and have a picture of what's going on.

things

Quite windy still

4 assorted spiky evergreen things that might be Holly or some poo poo like that
4 honesty plants
Monkey nuts
Bird thing
Dehumidifier
125 litres soil

The soil broke the wheelbarrow. I don't know how many kilos 125 litres of wet soil are, but it's enough to pop the tyre and bend the handles a bit. The steep bits of the path in really need some work, I slipped a few times trying to push the barrow up.

Theres been a few weeks worth of rain in the last few days, hoping the lizard hotel survives

Made the birdfeeder stack bigger- I didn't want another feeding site to deal with yet, but the leftover bits will get used on another project

They got busy right away

Another week or two and so much of this place will be blossoming

Went round all the bush emplacements to check em and clear out the excess grass. Probably should have counted them too. Lots.

It doesn't need to be perfect, just better. Besides, many of these bushes bite back if petted too hard.

All bushes present and correct, and blossoming/budding/doing plant things.

Saw deer

Got some plans. More soon!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I had one when I was a teenager.

It still hurts a little sometimes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Nessus posted:

I had one when I was a teenager.

It still hurts a little sometimes.

Yikes, hope I don't get it like that- so far I haven't noticed much of anything liver specific past the first few days soreness

rectangle du soleil

Things again

With a broken wheelbarrow this took 4 trips- and walking at about half a mile per hour due to slippy mud, 10 plants were a chore. 3 tayberry, 2 loganberry, 2 gojiberry, a spindle, a shrubbygreenbush and a greenyspiky. And parts. Lovely, cheap, tasty parts.

How broken? Pretty broken- those rust holes open up a lot on load.

Sorry to disturb you Cass (or maybe a daughter of Cass)

But we got some business to take care of!

Solar panels hooked to controller and also to battery

I could do with adjusting the tarp a bit to allow more light, but it's not too shabby at the moment- certainly collecting more useful light than it was in the parts pile at home.

Pond is even more full but still not at lizard hotel levels- we might be lucky. Eventually I would like an overflow drain downhill to the ditch, but thats going to be some spadework to be sure

Strawberries and primrose still untouched

A nice trip in spite of the weather- wind just hasn't died down properly.

Hunted out some cheap topsoil and more plants

While at home I keep gradually potting up new things at a slower rate than purchased

And I finally cleaned and polished my boots- more soon

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

loving trailcam is meant to be waterproof, it's probably going directly back to the cult of bezos and we can try something else because it's been constant lovely luck with this one.

I went through a couple before finding one that didn't just die on me. Ended up with this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S67VM4N

that's been taking photos and video constantly in all weathers (though I did wrap the top with gaffer tape as extra precaution against the elements).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DesperateDan posted:

Yikes, hope I don't get it like that- so far I haven't noticed much of anything liver specific past the first few days soreness
You might've healed up better than I, I rebounded quickly at the time. It's not like constant agony, more like once in a while a twinge, scars of war and life etc. It's just very specifically at the exact same point.

Sorry to post in your thread on a less than cheery topic! I've been following along, great stuff.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

Lots of deer traffic around

Oh, some little loving beast came in and gnawed the bark off large parts of my fig trees. Ungrateful. Rude. Selfish.

Despite moving the fig, it was found and murdered more. RIP figgie, we barely knew ye :smith:

Also an olive tree has been savaged, and the other one nibbled on. Fucks sake, what even eats olive trees like that?

Is this where my olive leaves went? loving gastronomically perverted deer?

GODDAMN DEER :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

I went through a couple before finding one that didn't just die on me. Ended up with this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S67VM4N

that's been taking photos and video constantly in all weathers (though I did wrap the top with gaffer tape as extra precaution against the elements).

That looks good- I'm still waiting on the return/refund to process first but then will probably grab one

Nessus posted:

You might've healed up better than I, I rebounded quickly at the time. It's not like constant agony, more like once in a while a twinge, scars of war and life etc. It's just very specifically at the exact same point.

Sorry to post in your thread on a less than cheery topic! I've been following along, great stuff.

No problem- sorry to hear it still bothers you- all I have is a really teeny scar now

Niric posted:

GODDAMN DEER :argh:

I have a plan involving psychological warfare, will update further on that later

primrose pond

I kept up with the potting and all the bare root transplants got new homes

And they are all looking very promising

Last year I buried a bunch of garden waste in with some used compost and it's nice and worm rich now, so they got put to work

Deck is crowded and in dire need of cleaning and repair, need to shift all the trees to the patio and take what plants I can to the acres

I did further tests of the thing and the voltage cut off (it's a tricksy and sensitive little bugger) and cut a wooden backplate so I can attach the circuits to that, then mount that in the box

I then marked and drilled holes/mounted some switches but I messed up the measurements and it's gonna be crooked and a bit shonky. It will do. Now I know placement of components I can draw up a final diagram and cut my wires and start soldering everything up.

These two knives have been sat on my desk waiting a sharpen for far too long- to the point the currently equipped knife is also now due, so I put them to the stone, and then to the strop and got them shaving sharp before oiling. Satisfying.

We had intended on going the the acres on climate strike day as normal but the weather was bad so it got delayed a bit.

Brought in a muh-fukken new wheelbarrow, topsoil, 25kg of 10mm stone, 10 hawthorn, 2 blackthorn, 10 primrose, 2 evergreen thornies (I'm fairly sure they are a holly variety) and a more bushy evergreen thing. And a bit of pallet. And some bird stuff that's hidden in the workbag.

The new solar panel is getting a nice charge on the battery

Birdfeeders were suitably moved by the emotional appeals of storm Jorge

But they were soon rectified

Primrose pond is overflowing with potentially harmful consequences to the inhabitants of lizard hotel

It's now called primrose pond not just because of the wild primroses

But that we put in some more primroses there

And by the strawberry patch

And 5 evergreens in over by the caravan, the deeper pots I used encouraged some deep root growth

And we got to see some bumblebees lumbering around- some had a few mites but from research these are more common when the bee has been hibernating, and I also learned that lavender is a good remedy.

The nursery is getting full again, need to expand it and plant more up.

Spring is just around the corner- More soon!