Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Gotta say, that air filter about 3/4 the way through was a mechanical success. It kept all of that out of the engine, theoretically.
Some of that other stuff, woo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/v8aK9kR.mp4

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
What I really want to know is what the "whale" switch at 8:06 is for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh there’s what IOC’s av is up to these days!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I can't stop laughing at this. Who knew domestic trucks had mastered physical comedy?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Didn't he kill Tasha Yar?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Didn't he kill Tasha Yar?
No, that was Yasha Tar.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fifty Three posted:

No, that was Yasha Tar.

drat

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Kinda fits with the thread, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I heard a loud bang on corner exit yesterday followed by card in bicycle spoke noise.

That doesn't look good.

Typical AP1 S2000 rear diff bearing cap failure :rip: It lived 25 minutes of track time and about 100mi of street driving (I bought it used).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are they known to do that, then?

Hopefully your diff centre itself is unharmed and you can transpose it into another casing with a new CWP set.

Is there a reinforcement option available?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, it is known but not really that common in stock power cars. The AP2 diff was changed to prevent this and there are companies that sell reinforcement kits for the stock diffs, this one was built but you can only do so much with the AP1. I'm going to put my original OEM torsen diff back in the car for now while I look for a used AP2 diff to build.

Just pulled the ring gear out

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 26, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s some tasty chewed up metal.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That right there is some quality home-grown content for this thread, drat.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

That right there is some quality home-ground content for this thread, drat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Now with video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g25efzfuS2I

I thought I tore the exhaust off at first because it sounded like that with no vibration or change in power delivery

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I blew up the diff in my old 535i like that drifting in a parking lot in the rain. Big bang but felt okay otherwise, drove home with no incident. Trying to drive the car the next day when it wasn’t raining it behaved a bit differently, she really didn’t like turning any more, with the 265 tires on the back the inside one put up a hell of a fight.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BlackMK4 posted:

Now with video

I thought I tore the exhaust off at first because it sounded like that with no vibration or change in power delivery

Did the Integra driver wave back when you pulled off the track? :v:

That sucks though, pretty surprised it still moved with that much carnage. :stare:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Now with video

excellent driving

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

That sucks though, pretty surprised it still moved with that much carnage. :stare:

That surprised me, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

excellent driving

thank you, sir

STR posted:

We're friends, he broke his poo poo the next day :v:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

So fun one today. We ordered a fastener installation tool. It's a two-part tool, each part costs $250. Part A is an anvil, part B is a punch/set tool. The fastener sits between part A and part B. The punch has a hole in it to fit the fastener.

When I opened the package to use the tool, I discovered that the punch wouldn't fit around the fastener. I checked the part specification diagram, and the hole in the center is marked " .219" diameter, reamed." This one measured .197", and showed no interior tool marks. For $250, they couldn't even manage to finish making the thing before they mailed it to us. .197" turns out to be 5mm on the nose; I have a sneaking suspicion these things are made overseas and just don't get the QA that an aircraft repair tool deserves.

Our parts guy yelled at the supplier, and we'll have a new one in the morning.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, that sounds about right.

I suspect what happened is they've either mistakenly shipped you a 5mm one - but then I would expect it'd be marked with something - or they're all initially drilled at 5mm then taken out to the final size and this one skipped a step.

If it's a proprietary design to a given company, tell them about it, it could even be a knock-off that's got into the supply chain, and people in aerospace do not take kindly to that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

InitialDave posted:

it could even be a knock-off that's got into the supply chain, and people in aerospace do not take kindly to that.

Seriously this. There are chinese knockoffs of most aerospace tools and getting in to the supply chain is a big deal.

Even something rather specific like:

$700 Chinese Four Indent Military Crimp Tool from Alibaba

$1400 American Four Indent Military Crimp Tool
https://www.dmctools.com/oscar/catalogue/wa27f_3698/

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 31, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Doesn't really matter, because some grunt is just going to use some random tool he keeps in his pocket. Reminds me of when I was setting up a DoD facility and we kept testing the cat6 cables back to the comm room and they were all failing. We go into the comm room and the cable dogs are in there terminating the cables into patch panels. Instead of using an actual tool for the job, or hell, a pair of flush cutters, one guy was using what looked like a prison shiv to cut the individual wires after pressing them into the little metal blocks that went into the patch panel. He couldn't cut them short enough, so the wires pushed up against the metal casing and shorted out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CarForumPoster posted:

Seriously this. There are chinese knockoffs of most aerospace tools and getting in to the supply chain is a big deal.

Even something rather specific like:

$700 Chinese Four Indent Military Crimp Tool from Alibaba

$1400 American Four Indent Military Crimp Tool
https://www.dmctools.com/oscar/catalogue/wa27f_3698/

This doesn't surprise me.

What really surprises me is that this tool doesn't a have a super value coupon in the Harbor Freight flyer.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Colostomy Bag posted:

This doesn't surprise me.

What really surprises me is that this tool doesn't a have a super value coupon in the Harbor Freight flyer.

I'd bet theres more harbor freight store locations than companies using pnuematic 4 indent military crimpers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't really matter, because some grunt is just going to use some random tool he keeps in his pocket. Reminds me of when I was setting up a DoD facility and we kept testing the cat6 cables back to the comm room and they were all failing. We go into the comm room and the cable dogs are in there terminating the cables into patch panels. Instead of using an actual tool for the job, or hell, a pair of flush cutters, one guy was using what looked like a prison shiv to cut the individual wires after pressing them into the little metal blocks that went into the patch panel. He couldn't cut them short enough, so the wires pushed up against the metal casing and shorted out.

Ahhhh they must have upgraded from Gerber's and tanto blade flip knifes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If it was the Navy it'd be a digit (multitool/leatherman)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

InitialDave posted:

No, that sounds about right.

I suspect what happened is they've either mistakenly shipped you a 5mm one - but then I would expect it'd be marked with something - or they're all initially drilled at 5mm then taken out to the final size and this one skipped a step.

If it's a proprietary design to a given company, tell them about it, it could even be a knock-off that's got into the supply chain, and people in aerospace do not take kindly to that.

They were very apologetic. The customer service rep said "your technician is VERY detail-oriented." Yeah, I documented the exact discrepancy on an aviation part, just like I do literally every day for every task. At the risk of throwing them under the bus, it was a Dzus installation tool. Notice it's got a product spec sheet with callouts for every dimension? There's no other thing this thing could be for. I don't see another product in their line like this, and the one we got has the part number roll-stamped into the tool. $250 for that thing, btw, after shipping and everything. The new one showed up today with an ID of .214". It was reamed, but whatever galvy process went on after was kinda lumpy and garbage. I'm sure it'll peel off eventually, but the QC on these is straight trash, and I think they're getting $20 parts from China or somewhere else metric with low QC and marking them up 1000%.

Another mechanical failure; this time with crimpers. The shop owns a Daniels Wire Repair Kit for one of our airframes. In it is all the high-quality Daniels crimpers with turrets, Ideal strippers, pin pushers, pullers, extractors, gauges.

I was using the M22520/2-01 (an Astro Tool version, not the Daniels) and went to set the crimp stop to the correct wire gauge when I hear some little springy thing go whizzing past my ear and pieces fall into the nose avionics bay. Astro is sending us a loaner for Monday and we're sending this one to them to be overhauled. $100 for this service, and well worth it.

Because I couldn't just stop crimping pins, I sacrificed a ballpoint pen to the cause and managed to get the thing operational for one wire gauge. It'll make legal crimps for 22awg now, but doesn't validate the "go/no-go" gauge for anything else.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cojawfee posted:

Sounds like needing to re-wire a PBX without the right tools, and blasting a chip out of my Leatherman pocket knife because it was the only option I had for forcing the cables onto the pins inside the phone closet.

I'll see if I can find the knife so I can take a photo. I buffed most of the chip out, but there's still a crescent moon of scorched steel where it shorted.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It was reamed, but whatever galvy process went on after was kinda lumpy and garbage. I'm sure it'll peel off eventually, but the QC on these is straight trash, and I think they're getting $20 parts from China or somewhere else metric with low QC and marking them up 1000%.

If it's anything like what I have to deal with, the company that sells it can't make money producing it so they pawn it off to a third party for cheaper production and didn't flow down all requirements and their receiving inspection team either didn't know or didn't care. Possibly a first/last check instead of sample plan or 100% doc.

Why yes, I'm in QA/QC for an aero/O&G manufacturer, why do you ask?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

They were very apologetic. The customer service rep said "your technician is VERY detail-oriented." Yeah, I documented the exact discrepancy on an aviation part, just like I do literally every day for every task. At the risk of throwing them under the bus, it was a Dzus installation tool. Notice it's got a product spec sheet with callouts for every dimension? There's no other thing this thing could be for. I don't see another product in their line like this, and the one we got has the part number roll-stamped into the tool. $250 for that thing, btw, after shipping and everything. The new one showed up today with an ID of .214". It was reamed, but whatever galvy process went on after was kinda lumpy and garbage. I'm sure it'll peel off eventually, but the QC on these is straight trash, and I think they're getting $20 parts from China or somewhere else metric with low QC and marking them up 1000%.

Another mechanical failure; this time with crimpers. The shop owns a Daniels Wire Repair Kit for one of our airframes. In it is all the high-quality Daniels crimpers with turrets, Ideal strippers, pin pushers, pullers, extractors, gauges.

I was using the M22520/2-01 (an Astro Tool version, not the Daniels) and went to set the crimp stop to the correct wire gauge when I hear some little springy thing go whizzing past my ear and pieces fall into the nose avionics bay. Astro is sending us a loaner for Monday and we're sending this one to them to be overhauled. $100 for this service, and well worth it.

Because I couldn't just stop crimping pins, I sacrificed a ballpoint pen to the cause and managed to get the thing operational for one wire gauge. It'll make legal crimps for 22awg now, but doesn't validate the "go/no-go" gauge for anything else.

Is this post going to be an eventual Exhibit A?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I test newly installed or modified cables onboard USN ships all the time and the variety in quality of work is pretty LOL. I tested a new elliptical wave guide and was getting ridiculous VSWR measurements back, turns out the installers accidentally filled the waveguide with water while testing the dry air lines. Complete tearout and replacement.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. LDF4-50 cables bent at right angles in the overheads. 96 pin cannon plugs completely wired in reverse. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My mate got the coilovers off his Stagea.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well, I mean the coils are still coiled....

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh the dampers are hosed too, don't you worry.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Colostomy Bag posted:

When I got clipped...they were digging around and found a spot where I wasn't numb. You can imagine that joy. So yeah a horrible failure.

Lol, same. I nearly hit the bloody ceiling. Still drove myself home, made it all the way to my house then scraped the car on the gatepost :negative:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

insta posted:

Is this post going to be an eventual Exhibit A?

If it passes the "go/no-go" it's a valid crimp. That's what the gauges are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/morocco21/status/1223646348399955968?s=20

turn on audio

https://i.imgur.com/KR88MDy.mp4