Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Sandepande posted:

I'd believe it if Google was paying them to do so.
I can't imagine the amount of Online Nerd Outrage this would generate if it were true and came to light. Folks get mad enough when games are delayed for normal* reasons. The mind boggles at how bad a look this would be for Google.

*Poor project management, intentional crunch, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Ars Technica judging Stadia's success based off of how many people got into free Thumper is a low blow.

I admit Stadia's user base leaves much to be desired right now but using Thumper's leaderboard as an indicator of it's health is just plan silly. Let's be honest Thumper is a niche game and isn't going to appeal to most everyone. A game on rails in this day and age is about as boring and mind numbing as you can get.

quote:

who would play Destiny 2 when its convoluted and confusing for new players?
And if you're an old player why would you play on Stadia when all your regular friends are all on the other systems?
This is why the media is successful. The public are stupid

quote:

Thumper is shite. Not a chance it should be used as a benchmark for Stadia’s success. That’s solely on the game studio for pushing out a shiny version of an old Commodore 64 game with less personality.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Khablam posted:

Stadia's player-count now, more often than not, rounds to 0% on Destiny stats sites: https://warmind.io/activity

CDPR aren't spending any of their crunch-time developing for a rounding error.

Man the negativity in here. Why can't we be positive about Stadia, the tech is so great, no hardware guys, remember? Its just a beta remember? I'm playing right now from the bow of a small gillnet fishing boat off the coast of Labrador. EVERYTHING IS FINE OK!?!!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Just :laffo: at the collective blind spot at realizing these are comparing numbers 1:1 with platforms that have libraries larger than 30 games. Users on PS4 and iOS aren't exactly starved for choice. If anything, Stadia should have a larger % of users playing Thumper because it was "free" and there's not really anything else like it in its library.

Also, Thumper is a very, very good game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tempura Wizard posted:

Just :laffo: at the collective blind spot at realizing these are comparing numbers 1:1 with platforms that have libraries larger than 30 games. Users on PS4 and iOS aren't exactly starved for choice. If anything, Stadia should have a larger % of users playing Thumper because it was "free" and there's not really anything else like it in its library.

Also, Thumper is a very, very good game.

Wait, Thumper's a rhythm game isn't it? Demand precision timing and accuracy, presumably?...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Stadia would be perfect for people in countries like Vietnam, Thailand etc. with cheap great internet but no money to buy consoles/high-end PCs

quote:

IDK, I prefer paying full price for buying a game to having hot sales, but investing upwards 500$ a year on average to keep a PC to gaming standards.

Depends how many games a year you buy, but in my case, the math is quite easy.

quote:

Activision Blizzard+Youtube gaming : Overwatch on Stadia ?

Next week an announcement will be made. Some guys speaks about the fact that blizzard want to make the overwatch league the more mass market possible and YouTube gaming will open e-sports competitions to everyone.
Linked to this news, I've see some rumors here and there that next week overwatch will be announced to Stadia as a freetoplay game.
Anyway love the way blizzard and google begin to works together...

quote:

I'm thinking it might be possible that Google started barebones and with a slow feature rollout because:

They are starting out from scratch (obviously)

They see the Stadia brand going similar to Youtube (For example) as in Youtube "by name" is still the same as when it launched in 2004. They probably see Stadia the same way. This means they need to have improvements and features still coming after 10-20 years etc.

The best way to constantly have features is to start basic and add "slowly" over time.

Consoles have life spans of 5-8 years. So their feature set needs to be in-between that time frame. Stadia needs to stretch out much wider as just mentioned above.

quote:

Made A Virgin’s day

Just had a Virgin engineer call round to sort some noise in the street. He was completely unaware of Stadia so I gave him the full sales pitch! Half an hour of Destiny later and he was online ordering the Premiere package :)
Imagine how many households he will be evangelising too now.
My work is done here.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 31, 2020

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, Thumper's a rhythm game isn't it? Demand precision timing and accuracy, presumably?...

They massively increased the button press window to get it to be playable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What is the chance that Cyberpunk does not launch the same day on stadia that console and pc

No the question is, what are the chances that Stadia makes some type of admitting-we're-dead announcement before cyberpunk launches?

something along the lines of "We hear you, Stadia is going back into beta until we can deliver the features our audience wants. Founders and existing users can keep playing the games they own during this period, but the store is closed until we are ready with Stadia 2.0"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On other platforms it does. On stadia the timing windows are so wide that you can hit the button after you hit the obstacle and still go through.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Flayer posted:

It would have to be an absurd amount to delay release. The Witcher series has been hugely profitable and 2077 has been in development for 5 years - CDPR do not need Google to make money.

Yeah. Not exactly believeable.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Klyith posted:

No the question is, what are the chances that Stadia makes some type of admitting-we're-dead announcement before cyberpunk launches?

something along the lines of "We hear you, Stadia is going back into beta until we can deliver the features our audience wants. Founders and existing users can keep playing the games they own during this period, but the store is closed until we are ready with Stadia 2.0"

0. They'll probably just cut their losses and get out. Plus the consumer impact if they did that? It would brand Stadia as fundamentally not ready for prime time, piss a lot of people off, scare developers from working with Google, and put a ton of pressure on a relaunch that is going to compete with a bunch of new consoles.

And at that point, why would someone go with the platform that just had a history of closing itself and keeping you from getting new games over Sony and Microsoft.

Google would need to hit it out of the park. They're going to need a massive groundbreaking hit. They can't just settle for the promise of something better, they have to deliver.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Glad to see stadia made a virgin's day.

Stadia fucks.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

0. They'll probably just cut their losses and get out. Plus the consumer impact if they did that? It would brand Stadia as fundamentally not ready for prime time, piss a lot of people off, scare developers from working with Google, and put a ton of pressure on a relaunch that is going to compete with a bunch of new consoles.

And at that point, why would someone go with the platform that just had a history of closing itself and keeping you from getting new games over Sony and Microsoft.

Google would need to hit it out of the park. They're going to need a massive groundbreaking hit. They can't just settle for the promise of something better, they have to deliver.

I think any kind of big public announcement within the next year - whether it's a "we're temporarily going down to retool", or a "we're getting out of the business completely" - is a lot less likely than just quietly halting all progress and leaving it as-is for a year or two, then shutting it off once everyone's forgotten about it. It would be extremely Google to never roll out the basic tier, give up on pursuing new games and expanding the platform to new devices, leave the servers on for a year or two to save face and collect some fees from a handful of Pro tier users that want to keep playing their games, and then put up a blogpost somewhere announcing the impending cessation of Stadia Pro subscriptions.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just over here laughing because Stadia is in such dire straights they have their own members giving sales pitches for people to play Destiny 2 on it.

It’s such a novelty thing - I have a Steam Link and use it for party games or when I got a group of people wanting to take turns playing a game in a larger setting, rather than sitting at my computer desk around a small screen. I never once thought that having a Link would make my gaming easier, and I wouldn’t get a Stadia to do all of that either.

There’s not a game I play where I’d have the need to play when either I’m out of the house or away on a trip. I’ve got a bevy of mobile games that are quick to play to bleed off the few minutes where maybe I’m in the waiting room at the dentist or as a passenger in a car.

Now, for people that maybe can’t afford a gaming PC or console - do they have the ability to afford the internet connection needed for smooth gameplay? Probably not.

Also the Stadia dad mentality should be shamed relentlessly to remind them they’re supposed to be bonding with family rather than sneaking away.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Colostomy Bag posted:

Glad to see stadia made a virgin's day.

Stadia fucks.

Videogames, please close the xbox thread, this thread, and open a new common thread called "The Virgin Stadia, The Chad Xbox"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Blotto_Otter posted:

I think any kind of big public announcement within the next year - whether it's a "we're temporarily going down to retool", or a "we're getting out of the business completely" - is a lot less likely than just quietly halting all progress and leaving it as-is for a year or two, then shutting it off once everyone's forgotten about it. It would be extremely Google to never roll out the basic tier, give up on pursuing new games and expanding the platform to new devices, leave the servers on for a year or two to save face and collect some fees from a handful of Pro tier users that want to keep playing their games, and then put up a blogpost somewhere announcing the impending cessation of Stadia Pro subscriptions.

They can't do a quick retool announcement when a chunk of the development->launch staff have already left for other projects. Stadia team has significant vacancies. The post-launch exodus is already in full swing. Now google is dumb enough to think they can fake retooling and just keep the same awful business model because their current base of morons loves it, but they don't have the time or people to actually make new features and make it a reasonable value.

The great thing about Stadia is that its heavily resource intensive for both systems and staffing and every game patch brings new potential halting problems on their end, so they cant leave it out to wither on the vine with nobody bothering to keep tabs on it like the did with Finance.Google.com. They have to axe it much sooner than they normally would on the google failed product timeline.

Also, their current highly visible 0% market share means the team is now all pariahs with that stadia stink on them so nobody with good ideas is going to risk their career on giving Stadia CPR.

They'll axe it closer to next tuesday than they would in a year or two.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

quote:

I'm thinking it might be possible that Google started barebones and with a slow feature rollout because:

They are starting out from scratch (obviously)

They see the Stadia brand going similar to Youtube (For example) as in Youtube "by name" is still the same as when it launched in 2004. They probably see Stadia the same way. This means they need to have improvements and features still coming after 10-20 years etc.

The best way to constantly have features is to start basic and add "slowly" over time.

Consoles have life spans of 5-8 years. So their feature set needs to be in-between that time frame. Stadia needs to stretch out much wider as just mentioned above.

The thing a lot of these "it's okay that they're poo poo right now, look at these other juggernauts that were poo poo than they started" things don't understand is that the situation has changed and the bar has been raised. YouTube could launch in that state and add features over time because watching videos like that was still a fairly new thing, and it persists out of sheer inertia: it attracts more users because that's where the users already are.

Stadia's not launching into a vacuum, it has to compete with the offerings of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Breaking into the market is bloody and expensive, and Google won't stick it out, it's just another "oh we didn't immediately overthrow the entrenched establishment, ABANDON EVERYTHING, FULL RETREAT" project.

I mean, hell, Epic Game Launcher is by all accounts awful, but they at least understand that they need to flex if they want to break into the market, which is why they're buying up exclusives.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Also, Google didn't make YouTube. They loving bought it once it was clear that the bet had paid off.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

shadow puppet of a posted:

They can't do a quick retool announcement when a chunk of the development->launch staff have already left for other projects. Stadia team has significant vacancies. The post-launch exodus is already in full swing. Now google is dumb enough to think they can fake retooling and just keep the same awful business model because their current base of morons loves it, but they don't have the time or people to actually make new features and make it a reasonable value.

The great thing about Stadia is that its heavily resource intensive for both systems and staffing and every game patch brings new potential halting problems on their end, so they cant leave it out to wither on the vine with nobody bothering to keep tabs on it like the did with Finance.Google.com. They have to axe it much sooner than they normally would on the google failed product timeline.

Literally everything about this post is wrong.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

how do you know

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

Welcome back!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'll never understand people who will compare something now with something that happened a long time ago. We're not competing with the past, we're competing with what's out there.

I feel like I used to see this often with the "surely THIS is the next wow killer" mentality. Well, you're not competing with WoW of 2004, your MMO needs to not only have all the QoL that has come out since then but a ton of content as well. Or it needs to be unique enough that it can stand on its own.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cams posted:

how do you know

He is an expert in posting things that are wrong

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Who the gently caress is spending $500 a year to keep their PC "up to gaming standards"

like are they literally throwing last year's PC in the trash every year

hostile apostle posted:

I gotta say it's so nice to see someone standing in the shoes once filled by such legends as XboxPants, grand acolyte of the Ouya and invoker of such phrases as "half as successful as the original Playstation."

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 31, 2020

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tech companies are always advertising positions they are not intending to fill, having a lot of open positions to fill gives the appearance of growth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

raditts posted:

Who the gently caress is spending $500 a year to keep their PC "up to gaming standards"

It’s just a lie I guess. Nvidia’s cards and Intel’s CPUs from 4-5 years ago are all still capable of running modern games at high details at 1080p60.

I typically buy the expensive dumb poo poo and even I’m sticking with the 1080Ti for another year or two.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShugoWah/status/1223052056765849601
lamo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

raditts posted:

Averaging $500 a year is easy for people that buy higher-end stuff and upgrade frequently to stay near top performance. Even if they're selling stuff off on ebay later. It's dumb and not the best value for your money but there are always people who have to have the latest and greatest. Take a look at the GPU thread in SHSC sometime, there are a bunch of dudes in there who will unironically say having anything less than a 2080 makes games unplayable. (And when the 3080 comes out it will immediately become the new can't-have-anything-less even if new games aren't out.)

I'm a much more budget-conscious guy and I still probably spend like $300 a year on average for PC hardware (including monitors, peripherals, etc).

The thing is, a PC is more than a game console. Even if I played zero games on PC, I'd still want a moderately decent system for everything else I do. Like I'd cut out the $$$ video card and have a smaller SSD, but everything else I'd want about the same.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao that the hivemind has just started making GBS threads on Thumper now. I guess it's a matter of time before we get Stadiafolk openly making GBS threads on Destiny because people are comparing player counts for that too?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

User replies to post about a lack of games on Stadia launch (this is all same user)

quote:

Ps4 had 12 games available in Canada for months when it's came out lol.
Why ppl have such double standard?

quote:

Switch also had very few games available on the first few months.
Switch came out on 2013?
The year has nothing to do with it usually new console have very few games at start for the first 3 to 6 months.
So stop arguing it's won't work.

quote:

I tried Zelda and it's was not bad. Not a game I like I preferred red dead redemption 2 much more.
All the others games you named are kind of childish for me I prefer more serious and violent games.
I don't care about exclusive I want good graphic and smooth gameplay something switch don't really give with such underwhelming power.
And I can play anywhere using a portable wifi hotspot on 4g here in Canada I get average of 60 to 200 mb on it and as it's a wifi hotspot it's work with stadia I use a 8 inch tablet with controller attachment on it.
So it's all a question of need and taste for what you said.
Don't change the fact most new game console come with very few games at first and it's take many months to fill up.

quote:

I don't care about exclusive much.
Good for you if you do.
Nintendo exclusive are mostly kid games that I don't play.
All new console are limited in games amount at first and that the reality that no deflection or excuse will change.

quote:

Seriously tired of lil hater with no arguments that hold stadia to standard no others console was forced to follow.
They are mostly kid games many 17 years old + rated switch exclusive around?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
It's like watching a rerun of GameFAQs forum posts from 2005.

I didn't realize people still unironically criticize Nintendo for being the "kiddie" console. Hardcore gamers like GRAPHICS and VIOLENCE.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol I call total BS on the person playing flawlessly on 4G in Canada

cams posted:

how do you know

he's paid to say otherwise

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Anyone complaining about the perceived maturity of content in games one way or the other is either under 18 years old or has serious brokebrains.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Google hired an executive to lead this development (Phil Harrison) who comes with decades of experience in the industry. Phil has led many successful efforts (PlayStation) and he has also been involved in some bombs (Gaikai).

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

reddit posted:

I don't care about exclusive much.
Good for you if you do.
Nintendo exclusive are mostly kid games that I don't play.
All new console are limited in games amount at first and that the reality that no deflection or excuse will change.

Tipps posted:

It's like watching a rerun of GameFAQs forum posts from 2005.

I didn't realize people still unironically criticize Nintendo for being the "kiddie" console. Hardcore gamers like GRAPHICS and VIOLENCE.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

User replies to post about a lack of games on Stadia launch (this is all same user)

The thing is not the number of games. That's not the problem. The problem is that there are no upcoming games until March. I wish these Stadia apostles would see that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klyith posted:

Averaging $500 a year is easy for people that buy higher-end stuff and upgrade frequently to stay near top performance. Even if they're selling stuff off on ebay later. It's dumb and not the best value for your money but there are always people who have to have the latest and greatest. Take a look at the GPU thread in SHSC sometime, there are a bunch of dudes in there who will unironically say having anything less than a 2080 makes games unplayable. (And when the 3080 comes out it will immediately become the new can't-have-anything-less even if new games aren't out.)

I'm a much more budget-conscious guy and I still probably spend like $300 a year on average for PC hardware (including monitors, peripherals, etc).

The thing is, a PC is more than a game console. Even if I played zero games on PC, I'd still want a moderately decent system for everything else I do. Like I'd cut out the $$$ video card and have a smaller SSD, but everything else I'd want about the same.

how do you spend $300 a year for a budget pc

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

The thing is not the number of games. That's not the problem. The problem is that there are no upcoming games until March. I wish these Stadia apostles would see that.

Uh, you're forgetting about Monster Energy Motocross 3 released in February

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

leftist heap posted:

Uh, you're forgetting about Monster Energy Motocross 3 released in February

I stand by my initial assertion.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stux posted:

how do you spend $300 a year for a budget pc

It's not a budget PC, I'm a budget-conscious spender. As in, I buy a $300 video card every ~3 years rather than a $600 one every other year. The PC itself tends to be what I'd call mid-range.

OTOH even a budget games PC requires a non-trivial amount of money per year when you average it out. Maybe $100-150 for people who want to play AAA all the time? But it can vary a lot based on what's happening in the hardware world when you buy. People who bought $250 intel CPUs with 4 cores just before the ryzen launch got hosed on the deal and are having to think about upgrades already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klyith posted:

It's not a budget PC, I'm a budget-conscious spender. As in, I buy a $300 video card every ~3 years rather than a $600 one every other year. The PC itself tends to be what I'd call mid-range.

OTOH even a budget games PC requires a non-trivial amount of money per year when you average it out. Maybe $100-150 for people who want to play AAA all the time? But it can vary a lot based on what's happening in the hardware world when you buy. People who bought $250 intel CPUs with 4 cores just before the ryzen launch got hosed on the deal and are having to think about upgrades already.

i dont know, i feel like everything kind of lasts a lot longer now than before and that you can get a lot more for less, especially if you go in with a money saving mindset. yeah people who dropped $250 for a 4/4 i5 just before they moved to 6 core are probably sore but when i bought a cpu last year i didnt even bother looking at new, i just grabbed a used 6700k off ebay for like £150. the biggest part of my pc now is a new 1660ti that i got as a present but if it had been my money i probably wouldve just picked up a used 1070 and saved another £50-70. the pc runs near everything at 1080p maxed out except the handful of games with extreme top end settings and its probably going to be fine without any upgrades for a good while. id say thats midrange and anything higher is getting into a pretty high end build.